[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Singing general?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: Learn-to-Sing-Now.jpg (80 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Learn-to-Sing-Now.jpg
80 KB, 1200x800
Always see a guitar general on here, are there enough singers around for a singing general? We could critique each other, share exercises and technique tips we've found useful, discuss great singers etc.
>>
Protip: If the D5 hurts, fucking push it out, pussy.
>>
>>64391894
Kek I can barely push out an F4 right now. I think my lowest comfy note is a C#2 so I assume I'm a baritone and I need to figure out my head/mix voice
>>
>>64392121
Oh after looking it up that might actually make me a bass?
>>
>>64392121
Your voice type isn't determined by range. It's determined by quality, timbre, passagio, etc. You could be a tenor, depending on your voice, but I doubt it.

I doubt you're a bass. Most likely a Bass-Baritone. Frank Sinatra sung comfortable down to D2 and rarely pushed beyond F#4, only going to G#4. He was definitely a baritone. Again, it's highly dependant on the quality of your voice, not your range.
I'm a baritone with E2-E5, the majority of my range falling on the tenor side. Still a baritone because the quality, timbre, passagio, etc. is reminiscent of a baritone's.

If you posted some singing, I could probably tell you what you are.
>>
>>64392305
I haven't ever had any formal voice training so I'm not really clued up on this stuff I guess, hold on I'll post something
>>
OK, so /sing/ then?
what's our copy?
>>
Is there a set of online lessons for singing? Like Justin guitar for vocals? I have to start singing next semester for my music degree and I have not done any singing since grade six.
>>
File: voc.jpg (6 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
voc.jpg
6 KB, 259x195
check out my vocal cords, i sing with this shit
>>
Just finished a recital there. Went quite well, briefly misremembered a lyric in a bit of the Schubert but that was my only real mistake.

Now I've got to practice all ~30 bars of the 'solos' in this performance of K339 I've got this weekend
>>
>>64392485
YouTube works fine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDQoMyPmg9s

I liked this guy's work. Start with lots of Google, YouTube, etc.
>>
>>64392305
>>64392416
okay here's some poorly executed arpeggios https://clyp.it/fesjwdsp
>>
>>64392305

And how much of that three-octave range do you actually use/is actually a nice sound?
>>
>>64392485
I like Roger Burnley's youtube videos, though he comes off a bit creepy at first
>>
>>64392613
>https://clyp.it/fesjwdsp
You've got a lovely voice, man. Yeah you're definitely a baritone. You've got a unique voice because your lows are really dramatic and strong, yet your highs are really colorful and warm that are almost even tenorish. Good thing to have.

You probably have a lot of room to expand on your upper range as well given enough practice. I bet you could climb up to G4 and A4 and sound pretty good.
>>
File: 2015-09-25 11.12.10.jpg (120 KB, 449x396) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-25 11.12.10.jpg
120 KB, 449x396
I haven't sang since high school (about a year now) when i was in beginning choir senior year. I also did the school play, played the Dad in Hairspray. Shit was cash.

My friend wants me to take beginner vocals at the community college with him, so i'll probably start singing again.

Im Bass as fuck tho. In choir the bass section sang to quiet all the time because it was full of quiet unconfident betas

My friends in the advanced choir called us Anon and the choir boys.

Here's some jew tunes i sang into my phone. Im probably a little rusty.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1YhpECTOdhp

/blog
>>
>>64392694
Thanks man, I've mostly just done backing vocals in the past, only recently been taking singing seriously and practising every day so it's nice to get some feedback on my voice!
>>
>>64392676
Depends on the day. My voice mitigates my highs and lows really sporadically. C3-D5 some days. E2-E4 on others. On average, G2-B4.

I hate to sound like those fucking faggots on YouTube who make those fucking absurd claims that their chest range is A0-D9. That's not my intent.
>>
>>64392876
Remember to take breaks. I messed up my voice a little and ended up with swollen vocal cords when I first started singing just by not practicing. Wasn't necessarily singing wrong, I just didn't give my voice time to rest after reaching into my high register for an hour every day. Give yourself every other day off.
>>
>>64392891
brett manning's big ass range is pretty legit even if he is a smug cunt about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-BpQFbLrg
>>
>>64392891

Fair enough, it is one of my pet peeves when people claim some ridiculous range when their actual usable range is at least a major-third shorter at either end, and I've encountered enough of them on /mu/, but you sound like you know what you're doing so fair play.

I'm at about F2-G#4 (both of which appeared in the recital I just did), so I'm probably just bitter about people who claim they have that extra bit.
>>
what are your fav mics for recording vocals?
>>
>>64393321
I've had a Shure SM58 for ages and I still think my voice sounds best through it, even after I got the Rode NT1A condenser which is supposed to be better suited for vocals. It sounds too warm to me. I guess it all depends on your voice.
>>
>>64391887
I have a range of a 4th
>>
>>64393499
I've been thinking about getting an SM58 just because they have a good rep and aren't too expensive

I have an SM57 which are supposed to be more geared towards instruments but it still sounds alright
>>
I've always hated my voice because its always been higher than every other guy I knew. My voice is too high to hit low notes and too shit to hit high notes. If there is nothing I can do about that, how can I train my vocals? I want to sing but hate my voice. Tips? Advice?
>>
>>64394483
Having a high speaking voice usually bodes well for hitting high notes with ease and lots of people would be jealous of you desu, you probably just need training. Finding a teacher is always the best option but if you can't afford that try just looking for some youtube videos on basic technique and exercises.
>>
>>64394813
My voice cracks when I try to go high. :/ most of the youtube tutorials are shit.
>>
>>64394837
Probably means you need to train your falsetto
>>
I used to sing in a semi-professional children's choir. I quit when I was 14, haven't sang since and puberty hit particularly hard in the meantime. Now I can't sing for shit anymore. I'm too embarrassed to even practice.

>feels bad man

How do I into singing again /mu/?
>>
>>64395780
You just have to man up and practice regularly bro. People don't worry about sounding shit when they're learning to play guitar or drums, you have to sound shit first to ever sound good. I know singing feels more vulnerable, but you have to just treat it like any other instrument.
>>
>>64394837
There are a lot of good tutorials, but you can't expect to watch one or try an exercise and immediately see progress, it happens incrementally with consistent practice.
>>
i guess i'm a bass baritone cause i can sing down to an E2 but i can barely hit a fucking D4

what am i doing so wrong?
>>
>>64396218
That might just be where your 'break' is in which case you need to learn how to transition into head/mixed voice when you get up there. There are plenty tutorials out there on this.
>>
>>64396218
You don't practice the right things. Learn what helps your voice and what doesn't.

After you understand your voice, you'll understand if you even HAVE 2+ octave range. Some people just don't have a chest range larger than 2 octaves, which is VERY fine and completely normal.

This is coming from a 3 octave chest range singer. I would trade 3 octaves for having 1.5 octaves of incredible, fantastic singing.

No one cares about range. It's like being able to do voices and accents when voice acting. It's a cool skill to have, but nobody you know or that is professional will give a shit. It's a gimmick.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.