[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu/ likes Ummagumma? also Ummagumma appreciation thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: pink-floyd-ummagumma-cover.jpg (1 MB, 1350x1356) Image search: [Google]
pink-floyd-ummagumma-cover.jpg
1 MB, 1350x1356
/mu/ likes Ummagumma?
also Ummagumma appreciation thread
>>
Apparently Michael Gira's favorite album

http://thequietus.com/articles/10654-michael-gira-swans-bakers-dozen-favourite-albums?page=14
>>
Haven't heard it, but I love the cover.
>>
>>64390857
its the worst in their discog pre-the wall
>>
>>64390934
pleb.
>>
Best Pink Floyd album 2bqh
>>
File: 1431446040173.jpg (55 KB, 504x470) Image search: [Google]
1431446040173.jpg
55 KB, 504x470
>>64390934
>>
>>64390993
same opinion
>>
Floyds 2nd worst album. Only the piece of shit that was Endless River tops it
>>
>>64390857
The live portion is the best thing Pink Floyd ever released.
Second part is pretty good too.
>>
>>64390857
the narrow way > Grantchester Meadows > sysyphus
>>
It's their first truly great album. Pink Floyd are complete plebs when it comes to their own work. They hated this and Atom Heart Mother and mostly seemed indifferent to Animals, which is probably their best album.
>>
>>64391409
There's no fucking way A Momentary Lapse of Reason and the Division Bell were better than Ummagumma. Both of those albums, while I guess they sound nice - the latter anyway - they feel so fake and calculated and pristine. They hired Anthony Moore - who I hate - to write lyrics that would make it sound like they still had Roger Waters in the band, and it made them sound completely phony. Post Waters Pink Foyd could have been great had they just relied on their own strengths and done what they were capable of, but instead they tried to write Waters in, and it just killed it. The Division Bell is actually pretty good on a musical level, but the lyrics are possibly the worst I've ever heard on a Pink Floyd album, aside from that last song on the Endless River. The Gilmour led Pink Floyd albums are the musical equivalent of the Star Wars prequels.
>>
>>64393074
dude wtf

the correct rankings for PF are so easy, why can nobody ever get it right? no other band had a more linear decline in quality.
>>
>>64393157
the division bell is their best album post-animals
>>
>>64393237
The Piper At the Gates of Dawn is hugely overrated. Everything about it is so fucking grating. Syd Barrett wasn't a genius in the slightest like people like to pretend he is. Mercury Rev had the most linear decline in quality.
>>
>>64393334
not cool.
>>
>>64393157

while it's true that david is definetly not a good lyricist (his fucking wife writes most of his lyrics for christ's sake), a momentary lapse of reason and the division bell (especially this one) are great musical records. of course it's not like the older records, but only if you're deaf you could say that "what do you want from me", "sorrow", "marooned", "coming back to life", "dogs of war" or "high hopes" are bad songs
>>
>>64393157
>The Gilmour led Pink Floyd albums are the musical equivalent of the Star Wars prequels
Hahaha ouch
>>
>>64393424
I understand that whimsy is a crucial element to psychedelia, but I don't like Syd Barret's take on it at all. The Piper At the Gates of Dawn, for the most part, songs like obnoxious fucking children's music drenched in gimmicky psychedelia, sung by the Teletubbies. When listening to it I actually feel strongly compelled to turn it off. Syd Barrett's solo albums are even worse; Without the sonic innovation that Piper had, every song - especially on Barrett - just ends up sounding like fucking Down By the Bay. I'm convinced that people pretend to like him because he went insane. It's too bad, because I thought that EP they put out, London 1966/1967, was amazing. Syd Barrett was actually gifted when it came to improvisation, but not songwriting.
>>
>>64393652
well, i wouldn't rate Barrett's solo albums higher than 7/10, but i definitely prefer them to everything PF put out after Meddle. then again i'll generally take what's seen as childish or obnoxious over what's seen as mature or slick any day.
>>
I hate everybody in this thread pretty much but yeah it's probably my 1st or 2nd fav pf album

Atom heart mother too
>>
>>64391425
I would say that the live portion is fucking amazing, but the studio album is one of the worst Floyd's work
>>64391409
>>64391926
Pretty much agree
>>64393334
>>64393652
Syd was a Junkie, that's all, but I think his music is pretty cool
>>
>>64390857
You're all probably gonna kill me for this but I only like the live album, and I like the songs on the live album better than the originals, especially A Saucerful of Secrets
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.