[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did you transition away from your "wrong generation"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
When did you transition away from your "wrong generation" phase (if you had one)?
>>
File: IsThisIt.jpg (640 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
IsThisIt.jpg
640 KB, 600x600
13, listened to this
>>
>>64381726

when i discovered torrents :^)
>>
having phase yikes lol
>>
>>64381726
16, as I started to actually listen to music instead of parroting the aproved songs for kids my age. That was 5 years ago. Laurel Halo and Mogwai were AOTYs then.

Sutil, most of the music I listen tends to be older than 00s, but its not intentional.
>>
>>64381726

I have a friend who was like that, then he became a fedora metal fan, then went full meme with death grips and deafheaven.

natural history of disease
>>
Around 16 or 17. I started thinking like that at 15 when I started playing guitar and idolizing old guitar players and it went on for a year and a half or so before I realized how foolish it was. I don't know what exactly made me realize it though.
>>
>>64381726
By the time I was 14 I no longer thought that way.
I do think music from the 60s and 70s are greatly superior to today's music, but I no longer fit in the "wrong generation" mindset.
>>
14, as bad as I think he is now, it was mostly Eminem.
>>
15. i don't think i really actively had the 'wrong generation' mindset because i was very shy and didn't talk much. However, up until that point i only really listened to various nick cave projects, the doors, joni mitchell, sex pistols and other aus. alt rock like Beasts of Bourbon. i still really love nick cave and joni but i don't really listen to others anymore.
>>
around like 11-12 yrs old
>>
I never really had that phase.

Growing up as a kid I used to see people who almost prayed on their cult bands. But when I heard their music it didn't really touch me a bit. It was especially apparent since I was Russian, and most Russian cult bands are actually shit.

Then I discovered torrents, and started reading through various GOAT lists. Soon after I realized that virtually unknown bands could make GOAT music, and vice verse, overhyped bands could make history with albums which were by all means mediocre.

Look at the Stooges, for example, or My Bloody Valentine. I haven't even heard of these bands before I got into music—I'm not kidding in the least bit. And they totally blew my mind and remain my favorite bands. I can my experience with music has never been the same again after I discovered them.

So this realization just confirmed the thing I have always suspected: most of wrong generation-core is just hugely overhyped bands, cult symbols but nothing else really. You're not supposed to search for good in them—you're supposed to pray on them.
>>
>>64381726
Honestly, ITAOTS is what did it. My first full listen-through, it just clicked, and I knew that there was more going on there than in the arena rock garbage I was listening to. After that I started to look at music more critically, and found cooler stuff as a result.
>>
>>64382803
Dubioza Kolektiv are awesome tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtgA0jvhp2A
They are the cheekist of breeki bands
>>
>>64381726
About 15 or 16, but I still like a lot of the artists I liked then
>>
>>64381726
I currently listen mostly to older music because I like to wait for history to filter out all the shit.
>>
File: MikeLoveFormula.png (443 KB, 793x677) Image search: [Google]
MikeLoveFormula.png
443 KB, 793x677
I'm going in reverse
my dad was a top 40 hip hop "don't let the crow's feet fool you kids I'm a millennial too" type and he always blasted shit over and over again

by the time I was 13 I never wanted to hear Eminem again (I always realized he was a full of himself cancerous joke but I didn't REALLY hate him until then) and by time I was 15 I only listened to maybe half a dozen Kanye songs. I discovered old school hip hop by then and was the "check it out losers ATCQ> any of your punk ass lil wayne shit" kid
and then alternative punk, and metal shit, and then onto typical rock like the beatles, Zeppelin and so on. by the end of the year I will probably be a vintage fag.

I still hate top 40 rap with a few exceptions but the purely ghetto stuff needs to die, we get it you can afford shit and use smart phone apps now let's get back to angry shit.
>>
When I was about 16 and heard Mobb Deep and The Roots in the same day.
>>
When the LSD wore off
>>
When I got my first computer and started listening to more music rather than choosing the classic rock over top40 radio stations.
>>
Probably when I was 14, but I'm kind of shifting back into it. Not so much that I don't appreciate the music of the today and having ready access to any music of the past, most of what I listen to is current stuff. It's just that the future looks fucking bleak, man. I just don't know if we live a world where a band can come in and change the world anymore.
>>
File: arjenlucassen1[1].jpg (57 KB, 600x556) Image search: [Google]
arjenlucassen1[1].jpg
57 KB, 600x556
I only really started listening to music when I was like 15 so that was when the wrong generation thing was in effect. A few years later I somehow came across Ayreon and Opeth after only really having listened to Iron Maiden metal-wise and after that started looking for more somewhat recent music to listen to. A lot of metal at first but these days I don't listen to much metal anymore.
>>
I fail to understand the question.
>>
>>64381726
I never had one
>>
>>64382803
>most of wrong generation-core is just hugely overhyped bands, cult symbols but nothing else really
That couldn't possibly be the case with bands that /mu/ and p4k hype up though, right? No, of course NMH and Kanye are the greatest artists who ever existed
>>
i'm 25 and i still don't really care for rap or contemporary pop.

My favorite genres are still psychedelic rock, goth, experimental prog and punk. The contemporary variants of which i find pretty disappointing.
I really don't think there's any hope for me.
>>
>>64382901
this
>>
It's hard to remember now, but when I was 13-15 I felt supreme elitism towards the 60's and 70's. I still love the classics dearly, but they are not the priorityanymore
>>
>>64381726
Don't know when it was but it was at a Neil Young concert, opening act was Everest and that basically introduced me to alternative and indie rock
>>
I think I was 13 when I heard Fleet Foxes, changed my mind about contemporary music. The next year I heard the Seer and it completely changed everything I thought about music in general
>>
I transitioned into that phase as an adult. I only listened to 90's music as a kid and hated anything older then that. After hitting my 20's I started listening to dadrock more and more and realize how shitty modern music is in comparison.
>>
When I was 17 and I actually started to look for contemporary music.

But I stopped saying le wrong generation around the time I was 14.
>>
I've never been a "born in the wrong generation" person, but i've never truly liked anything they played on the radio.
>>
>>64388302
>The Seer

literally the thing that made me start exploring new music furiously

thanks /mu/
>>
>>64386869
Nope.

Kanye is ridiculously overhyped. True, he changed production in rap back on Jay-Z's Blueprint, then continued with his own work. I also think to find a good sample takes talent—after all, who remembered of of Panderosa Twins before Bound 2?

On the other hand, I don't care about his rapping, and even more so, singing. I think his lyrics are extremely arrogant and I can't relate to most of them at all. Also, with most of his songs, I actually prefer the originals of the samples. And let's not forget that Kanye works with a whole team of producers on every track.

I actually don't even know how to rate his music. It's like rating vaporwave—most of it sounds borderline meme to me, and low-effort (despite I know that there's actually lots of production work involved).

The real reason he's so lauded is simply because he's one of the best-selling artists right now, and rap has a big commercial moment. Also, he's black, so Pitchfork will gladly give his albums 10s, BNMs and call them GOAT. /mu/ is still full of people who haven't realized Pitchfork is more propaganda now than music review site.

As for NMH… I've listened to that album. Not being from US, I'd call it forgettable. In my country, Anne Frank is unknown. I do remember songs like two-headed boy, but you know—if I wanted good folk/country/whatever, I'd listen to Built to Spill, Neil Young, and so on. If I wanted lyrical depth and feels, I just listen to Nirvana's B-sides and rarities. I have no inclination deciphering what Jeff Magnum said. I have a whole list of music to listen to, I don't think I need NMH in my life.
>>
>>64381943
This.
>>
Never.
I genuinely think music from the early 2000s onward has generally been a pile of utter castrated, dweebish, derivative filler garbage. And I hate Led Zeppelin/Queen/ACDC and most dadrock.
>>
Never, I regressed.

Vast majority of my library is from prior to 1967.
>>
When I was 14-16 I went through a huge 70's phase, with music at least. But just really mediocre entry level shit.
>>
>>64390807
> I genuinely think music from the early 2000s onward has generally been a pile of utter castrated, dweebish, derivative filler garbage.

I hate that I share this shitty opinion, but it's just... true.

At work we listen to Sirius Radio, occasionally we'll do modern top 40, 80s, 90s, etc. but the one we do most often is "70s folk" and it's the only music that doesn't get old after repeated listening. Hearing Joni Mitchell, America, Harry Nilsson, etc. every day makes me realize just how tapped in those artists were. It's almost as if they were in the studio and thought "shit, what if people are still listening to our songs in 2016?" and actually refined it until they felt it could be completely timeless. Music today is far too proud of being modern, and feels castrated and derivative, like you say, as a result.
>>
>>64390807
>>64391585
What to you guys listen to? Genuinely curious here, I'm not looking for a fight.
>>
File: looksiranian.jpg (32 KB, 329x306) Image search: [Google]
looksiranian.jpg
32 KB, 329x306
Never. Always hated dad rock.
>>
>>64391710

My transition out of classic rock was the New Weird America/freak folk scene of 2004-05ish with Devendra Banhart, Akron/Family, Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, etc.

I love a lot of backpack rap still, trill trap beats esp. can get my blood flowing. Proudly love Kanye because he always sounds like he's having fun on record. TPAB was my AOTY last year, and still loving Pablo right now.

But, I'm mostly into 70s post-punk and new wave (bands like The Sound, XTC, The The), janglepop/powerpop, Flying Nun type stuff, slacker rock, Krautrock, prog. The Replacements - Let it Be is my favourite record of all time.
Some IDM, minimalistic electronic.

I dunno. I just haven't connected with anything in a very long time. I like a lot of music still, but it doesn't feel the same. I like it in almost a sarcastic way, like I'm just going along with everybody else so I can still be part of the joke. You know, I'll sing along to "Trap Queen" or "Antidote" or "Panda", but I'm fully aware that there is only a shred of what I've always known music to be left in those arrangements.
>>
File: a wild gentlesir appears.jpg (26 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
a wild gentlesir appears.jpg
26 KB, 367x500
>>64391851
>>
>>64381864
>Mogwai
>literally 80's pop-culture remixing: the band

you were in the phase and also the closet about it

maybe you still are
>>
I guess when I first listened to Animal Collective
>>
>>64381726
When I first realized that if it weren't for the generation (/time) I was born in I probably wouldn't have found half as many artists from the past that I now listen to on a regular basis.
>>
>>64381726
never had one, actually enjoyed and grew up with the music of the 00s
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.