[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I thought /mu/ told me that "electronic" wasn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: electronicgenre.png (9 KB, 866x328) Image search: [Google]
electronicgenre.png
9 KB, 866x328
I thought /mu/ told me that "electronic" wasn't a genre.
>>
>>64374858
RYM is rockist central

They even have breakcore as an IDM subgenre looooool
>>
it's an umbrella term for several different genres.
>>
>>64374858
>RYM
Found your problem.
>>
RYMers don't get electronic music
>>
It's an extremely flawed descriptor at best. It certainly doesn't tell anybody anything when you describe an artist as "electronic"
>>
>>64374887
>>64374892
>>64374898
What genre should it be then? It's just used as a blanket term.
>>
>>64374933
>DJ Andy Scott

Techno.
>>
>>64374933
>blanket term
no it's a retarded term, same if u used "Rock" as the main genre for a MBV or Deerhunter album
the correct blanket term would be techno
dub techno, ambient techno, these are all fine
>>
File: youmakemesmug.png (449 KB, 670x645) Image search: [Google]
youmakemesmug.png
449 KB, 670x645
>>64374858
>>64374887
>>64374908
>>64375006
>>64375026
found the tasteless dorks who think that their dubstep subgenres should be recognized by the world
>>
did you fall for the singles and EPs are better than albums meme to?
>>
>>64375083
>so many subgenres! is it techno or is it house? stupid electronic music!
>>
>>64374887
>>64374892
>>64374898
>>64374908
>>64375006
>>64375026
no one cares about your shitty wub wub no matter how much you try to dress it up as different from skrillex
>>
>>64375170
;^)
>>
>>64375083
It comes naturally to call Black Flag hardcore punk and Poison hairmetal, so why should other types of music be any different?
>>
>>64375006

His faith in strangers album is some weird hybrid of a bunch of different genres so I think the electronic genre tag is justified.
>>
why are britbongs so adamant on correcting genre terminology for genres they didn't event
>>
>>64375290
some of them we did invent though so...... you may have started house and techno but we branched out with that stuff into uk garage (and 2step and grime and dubstep etc.) and breakbeat hardcore and jungle and dnb etc.
>>
>>64374892
>is on /mu/
kek
>>
>>64375207
Because those are subgenres of rock.

As opposed to slightly different variations of utter shit that deserves no recognition, consideration or distinctions.

"House music is that uptempo homosexual dance music with a lot of bass".

That's as much of a description as it deserves.
>>
File: unimpressed pepe.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
unimpressed pepe.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>>64374887
> rockism

I really hate this meme
>>
File: pgjfather.jpg (13 KB, 250x223) Image search: [Google]
pgjfather.jpg
13 KB, 250x223
>>64375370
>"House music is that uptempo homosexual dance music with a lot of bass".
>>
>>64375290
>>64375329
>Nobody cares
>>
>>64375370
>I'm retarded
That's as much of a description as this post deserves.
>>
>>64374887
rym is rockist central but how is the vast majority of breakcore not IDM
unless you're considering really early Alec Empire/digital hardcore shit it's pretty much all IDM
>>
>>64375329
not to mention that a lot of "proto-techno" came about from europe - look at ebm.
>>
>>64375393
What? He's not wrong
>>
>>64375431
not that anon but part of the problem is considering idm an actual genre in the first place lol
>>
>>64375370
Rock music is nothing to get a superiority complex over, that's something you ought to grow out of after middleschool
>>
>>64375464
it's less a genre so much as it was a style/movement but there's definitely stuff you can't call anything else (see autechre)
>>
What's with EDM fans all assuming everyone else exclusively listens to rock music (while ignoring all of the non-dance electronic music)?
>>
>>64375521
it's a meme you dip
>>
>>64375541
memes aren't real
>>
>>64375484
autechre is techno (and some of it is electro -they tend to follow the electro/hip hop formula of putting the snare on 2 and 4)

the only album of theirs that's a bit iffy on classification is confield, and maybe draft 7.30. and even those don't strictly have the same qualities of most other things labelled "idm"
>>
>>64375568
imo everything past Amber has lost its ability to be called techno at this point. though it's not nearly as abstract as their later stuff, Tri Repetae I think is the seminal IDM album, it kinda defined the sound for people outside of RDJ's circle
>>
>>64375521
they're fucking retarded and think their special for listening to post-big room jungle-step bullshit thats essentially the same crap as all other edm
>>
>>64375619
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyOGNhdhlAY
>>
>>64375619
tri repetae is pretty techno/hip-hop. if you pay attention to the rhythms and placements of beats, they're still pretty traditional in that way.

>lost its ability to be called techno at this point
>Tri Repetae I think is the seminal IDM album
these aren't mutually exclusive thoughts. whether people like it or not, "IDM" was a movement and TR was highly influential to that movement, but the genre is still techno.
>>
>>64375619
>>64375731
also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4KGxDi-jvk
>>
>>64374887
I don't know what IDM/breakcore has to do with rock but okay.
>>
britbong logic:
>adds steel drum to shitty techno
OI M8 THATS TROPIC HOUSE DONT U DARE SAY OTHERWISE
>adds some major chords
OI M8 THATS UPLIFTING TRANCESTEP JUNGLECORE I SWEAR ON ME MUM

maybe if you morons stopped inventing new genres every single time one of your shitty songs has a slight deviation from the standard people would take your genres seriously
>>
>>64375731
>>64375757
I thought of Move of Ten right after I posted. Still think it might be a bit to abstracted to still be techno rather than just being heavily techno-influenced, but really that's just subjective
>>64375753
I don't think they're necessarily mutually exclusive (for example see the tracks I responded to above,) I just don't think that it's close enough to techno overall to still be it. It's definitely derived from it, but I think it's evolved far past it into being its own thing.
>>
>>64375827
i don't think their later work is strictly techno, but to me the classification makes more sense than idm. sometimes if i'm talking about autechre with someone whose not familiar with them, i'll call them abstract or experimental techno, and while i realize that "experimental" and "abstract" are incredibly vague terms, i find them no less broad than "idm." plus it's still rooted in an established genre (techno). but again, i think the way they handle rhythm allows them to be considered techno for the most part.
>>
>>64376054
that's pretty fair, I just feel like while IDM is kinda retarded as a genre and doesn't have a concrete definition I can't help but hear some things (such as Autechre's stuff) as specifically IDM to me, at the exclusion of other genres. I'm probably just an autist tho desu
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.