[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does there seem to be a generational gap with Prince's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: Prince-1999.png (73 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Prince-1999.png
73 KB, 800x800
Why does there seem to be a generational gap with Prince's music unlike Michael Jackson's? I like Prince more, but I play his albums for my friends and they can't get past the 80s production.
>>
>>64365625
I'll tell you precisely why: No Prince music on YouTube.
>>
Bad has aged worse than any Prince album
>>
Michael Jackson for the most part remained a public figure, and was extremely popular at his peak. Thriller is the best selling album of all time, after all. Prince was very popular too, but was more secretive about his life as time went on, and never quite received the success that Jackson did. Also, I personally think that both of their music sounds dated, but still enjoy it.
>>
File: cover.jpg (58 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
58 KB, 400x400
>>64365625
because you have to buy Prince's music to listen to it, or download it. but since no youtube, kids don't hear about it, therefore causing the generational gap you're talking about
also play pic related to your friends
>>
>>64365655
I think Thriller and Off the Wall's production holds up better than any Prince album except for Sign o the Times. That album's demo feel really helps it.
>>
>>64365690
>>64365641
It's more than just that - I'll play a classic like Raspberry Beret or Let's Go Crazy, and they'll just start laughing at how 80s the production is. To be honest, sometimes I sympathize.
>>
>>64365721
maybe I'm autistic, but I really don't get the complaint here, or just about how dated a production can sound. it's part of the music, it encapsulates the era where it was created, and that's it. what would they say if you played them Kind of Blue for example ? ROFL this production is soooo 1959, dude!!!
>>
People only listened to Prince for that one part in the song when he shreds on a guitar. If it weren't for his guitar playing, nobody would even like Prince. Prove me wrong. Pro Tip: You CAN'T!
>>
>>64366921
yeah you're totally right, it's not like he played bass, drums, keyboard and stuff as well
>>
>>64366946
Also not the songwriting
>>
Best Prince album?
>>
>>64365625
if someone can't get past 80s production they're a lost cause musically
>>
>>64365721
Your friends must be autistic. Outside of the use of DAWs and the decline of tape production hasn't changed leaps and bounds from where it was in the 80s.
>>
>>64365661
This right here. Even though MJ had those child rape controversies, he still remained as popular as ever, on top of Prince being notorious for not allowing his music on the internet and being crazy overprotective of his copyrights, may have lead to the generational gap.
>>
You gotta set them up with the right expectations. Prince made his name in the 80's and 90's and they might not be expecting that sound going into it.
>>
>>64367092
you have no idea what youre talking about just so you know
>>
File: 1423509949929.jpg (468 KB, 1184x1046) Image search: [Google]
1423509949929.jpg
468 KB, 1184x1046
>>64367944
Thanks for letting me know fampai.
>>
>>64366996
Best prince album is Around The World In A Day.
>>
>>64365721
They're autistic. Mainstream pop music is currently in an 80s revival so If they can't get past this they are autistic
>>
>>64368373
False, it's Parade.

It has the psychedelia of Around the World in a Day, the minimalist funk of Dirty Mind, the electronica of 1999, with the pop bombast of Purple Rain.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.