[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I do not play an instrument but I'd like to know how to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: hhhhh.jpg (138 KB, 960x752) Image search: [Google]
hhhhh.jpg
138 KB, 960x752
I do not play an instrument but I'd like to know how to talk about music.
I'd like to know the terminology so I can have a conversation about it and adequately convey what I enjoy about a piece.
>>
>>64354008
learn music theory. why not learn an instrument just for the fun of it? it will make it way easier to understand theory
>>
>>64354008
>>64354073
And you'll actually be qualified when discussing music. Playing an instrument is a very rewarding hobby. Make sure it's something cool and random like an accordion or something.
>>
>>64354073
Well I'd actually really enjoy playing piano, seems like a lot of effort to go through to be more proficient in musical conversations though.
>>
I don't know how learning an instrument will help you better talk about music, but you should probably learn to play one if you actually enjoy music.
>>
>>64354176
Are there enough free resources to get good enough? I've read in a few places that you can't really beat a real live teacher but I'm sure such advice would be scoffed at here on good old mu
>>
>>64354248
With piano and guitar you might be able to teach yourself. Anything else you'll probably need a teacher, at least at first.
>>
>>64354323
Well that's encouraging, I'd love to play piano but I don't have the money to do so.
Anyway, how about musical theory to start with, do you know of any good entry level material? Bearing in mind I have absolutely no prior knowledge other than I know that I enjoy music.
>>
>>64354164
Am I you?
>>
>>64354449
Isn't it supposed to be "are you me?"?
>>
>>64354164
you'll gain more than just the ability to talk about music. Sometimes it can be a good way to relax if you're stressed and it can also be very fun.
>>
>>64354439
For theory, just search around on the internet for some stuff. I am currently majoring in music and I've been learning it since like 4th grade so I haven't done much online, but I'm sure there are plenty of good resources out there. You can try this for starters:
https://www.musictheory.net/lessons
>>
>>64354512
Point taken, I'm always very relaxed when I hear the piano so it makes sense that playing it would have a similar effect.

>>64354559
I really didn't expect to be convinced by anons to learn music theory and an instrument when I made this thread but I'm actually excited about it now.
Thanks for the link and advice.
>>
>>64354638
No problem. I really think everyone should learn some theory and how to play an instrument if they're into music. If you're going for piano, you can probably find something online, but you may be able to pick up a cheap beginner book at a music store since that's what I started from. The most important thing is not giving up. If you feel like it's getting too hard, just take it as slow as you need to go.
>>
>>64354713
Sounds like solid advice, thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it!
>>
>>64354847
"the complete idiot's guide to music theory" is very good. Just make sure you have access to a keyboard instrument or at least a simulation (an online one or a tablet/smartphone app, etc) to go along with it, you'll need it.
>>
Recommend me some dope instruments that work well when played alone
>>
>>64354911
Thanks, I'll check that one out too.

I really appreciate all the advice in the thread but I'm going to sleep now, goodnight anons
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.