[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metal and Complexity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 14
File: 2.jpg (328 KB, 1008x1500) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
328 KB, 1008x1500
What in the hell do people even mean when they call metal complex? It just sounds like scales being played in rapid succession. I mean it might be technically difficult to play but it certainly isn't compositionally complex.
>>
>>64351170
Metal isn't complex. Only idiots think it is.

Metal is just about Faux edginess and insecure masculinity.

Metal will never be as hard as noise rock and never as complex as Avant-garde jazz.
>>
>>64351723
Someone said it.
>>
>>64351170
Pretty cool pic, OP
Is it from an album cover?
>>
>>64351723
>Metal will never be as hard as noise rock and never as complex as Avant-garde jazz.
but it sounds better than either of them ;^)
>>
>>64351170
Well those are some strange generalizations.
Some metal is complex, not all. Most black metal for instance is rather rudimentary on the surface.
>>
>>64352462
nah, it was on /p/
>>
>>64351170
Everything's relative. To just about all music on the radio and to I'd say most of the stuff on this board, metal is usually more complex. Some metal is playing scales in rapid succession, most is beyond that.
>>
>>64351723
>Metal is just about Faux edginess and insecure masculinity.

Seriously textbook projection. I like to listen to it when I work out because high energy aggression pushes me harder and I play guitar so learning metal is always fun and good practice. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad, you'll learn when you're older.
>>
>>64351723
>never as hard as noise rock
Listen to slam

>never as complex as jazz
Listen to encenakrath
>>
>>64351723
You're so fucking stupid holy shit
Have you listened to like 10 metal albums?
>>
Person here that doesn't care for metal.

Please explain to me how to come at it. I listen mostly to downtempo, prog rock, experimental and glitch, some jazz and classical as well. I have tried to listen to the "acclaimed" metal albums like Ride the Lightning but I just cannot enjoy it. It seems almost comical to me the level of seriousness.
>>
>>64353086
Some people have higher general levels of arousal than you. They're more intense than you are and you can inherit it just like eye or hair color.
>>
>>64353086
Also some people don't have a higher visceral brain activation, but they had a fucked up childhood.
>>
>>64352423
>>64352476
>>64352837
>>64352852
>>64352887
Look at all the triggered metalfags. You all need to take a serious look at other musicians and genres. There is literally nothing of interest that any metal artists are doing.

It's all literally pop songs with sped up tempo and really stupidly edgy lyrics. I mean, my god it's like no one in the genre has any self awareness. Literally every fucking band name is some mixture of religion, death and disease. Every fucking song just has this overwhelming sense that the makers and listeners of this music want to abuse women during sex.

Metal is like state approved rebelliousness because it feeds into the military mindset of aggressive power seeking.
>>
>>64353373
How many cocks were in your holes when you typed this?
>>
>>64353373
>There is literally nothing of interest that any metal artists are doing.

I mean, I think *that's* crossing the line of reasonable statements a bit, but in general, I think you're p. much right
>>
>>64353215
Dude, I don't find metal intense at all and I listen to some pretty intense shit. Les Rallizes Denudes, Health, a lot of hard core punk but all of those have a chaos that I like and metal seems calculated in a very specific and artificial way.

>>64353245
>higher visceral brain activation
Like what do you even mean by this. Metal doesn't work out your brain, it isn't Bach. Hell deep house shit like Jon Hopkins probably works out your brain more than most metal.
>>
>>64353499
It probably seems artificial because the creation process of composing a metal song is way more intricate and detailed than a hardcore punk song.

Lol visceral brain activation is the level to which your limbic system pumps adrenaline into your system. There are people who have a brain that just makes them more intense and lucid people. I find that those people tend to enjoy metal and fast music in general.
>>
>>64353499
Also, a lot of metal is intense. That's kind of the point.
>>
>>64353598
>composing a metal song is way more intricate and detailed than a hardcore punk song
Can you post some proof for this? I just sounds like complete nonsense to me. I don't mean any offense, I genuinely want to understand why people that like metal think this.
>>
>>64353373
Average pop progression is I-V-vi-IV, some metal bands don't even follow regular verse/chorus structures.
Edgy lyrics is only a common theme in the more extreme genres, look at Heavy metal.

>>64353690
That depends again on the genre, if you're taking progressive or technical influences, you're going to take weeks to write a track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpN9nkDw5Mw

However you can write an old school death metal track in a few hours, they're always the same structure and riffs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6pdp7jTyfs
>>
>>64353373
>it's like no one in the genre has any self awareness.
you say that like it isn't a good thing. pretty wrong too btw

>>64353690
dunno, stuff like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCj59GhtrtM
>>
>>64353627
Like, it's got a high tempo but so does EDM. EDM can be intense of course but when I think INTENSE I think of like people barely in control of themselves not some kind of practiced and measured outlet of anger and aggression. Most noise rock feels way more intense to me than metal.
>>
>>64353780
>Average pop progression is I-V-vi-IV, some metal bands don't even follow regular verse/chorus structures.
Okay, okay. It's high tempo Yes songs with growling overtop. Does that fit better? It's all about technical masturbation.
>>
File: 1368205203557.jpg (209 KB, 682x600) Image search: [Google]
1368205203557.jpg
209 KB, 682x600
>>64353373
>You all need to take a serious look at other musicians and genres.
I love metal and I also listen to just about everything else. Everyone else I know that love metal also do this. I've never met a metalhead that doesn't, actually. People who only listen to metal are usually teenagers going through a phase. They'll grow up someday.
>Every fucking song just has this overwhelming sense that the makers and listeners of this music want to abuse women during sex.
Are you a flower aunt that discovered extreme metal a week ago, or are you just pathetically naive? No, I don't want to rape someone with a chainsaw even if the song Chainsaw Gutsfuck is great. No, I don't want to strip, rape and strangle a woman just because Stripped, Raped and Strangled is a great song. Neither do the people who make these songs. Sure, there are a few mentally unstable people who listen to metal and may actually even to some degree have violent fantasies/urges, but the same can be said for any fan of anything with a slightly extreme expression.

> I mean, my god it's like no one in the genre has any self awareness. Literally every fucking band name is some mixture of religion, death and disease.

So let me get this straight, you actually think that most metal musicians that write lyrics about horrid gore shit are superserious about it? Almost all these bands are almost a little too self-aware about how ridiculously edgy and cliche it is. But oh, wait, you mentioned bandnames, not lyrics. My bad. You clearly have only skimmed through some random band names of extreme metal bands and youre now generalizing based on tiny amounts of information.

>Metal is like state approved rebelliousness because it feeds into the military mindset of aggressive power seeking.

This sentence doesn't actually mean anything.
>>
>>64353908
Of course, sure, the keyboard's what makes metal especially brutal of course, it's all just a copy of Yes after all.
Grindcore is completely untechnical genre and yet the energy's there, metal is not about technical masturbation or edgy lyrics.
>>
>>64353908
>It's high tempo Yes songs with growling overtop.
You know... That isn't too far off.
>>
>>64353965
>love metal and I also listen to just about everything else.
Like what? I mean artists.

>Are you a flower aunt
Anon, I understand that they don't. What I don't understand is why they seem so fascinated with the use of those images. It's like a childish fantasy of gore and violence. It just seems fundamentally juvenile.

>You clearly have only skimmed through some random band names of extreme metal bands and youre now generalizing based on tiny amounts of information.
Yes, you are correct. I have continuously listened to shit recommended to me in threads like these though. Literally all of it sounding identical, some madman wailing on the drums, some guy strumming scales up and down at 200bpm.

Tell me how this isn't technical masturbation.

>This sentence doesn't actually mean anything.
It means that punk, noise and other actually chaotic genres of music have some actually rebellious or anarchic quality while metal, which seems to enjoy borrowing these concepts for lyrics and themes, is constructed in such a way as to serve as a harmless outlet for anger. I imagine metal being very popular with middle managers at paper companies.
>>
>>64353690
Well do you play guitar? If you dont i dont think you can understand how sometimes making metal music is difficult, of course i must admit there are a lot of songs that are pretty easy.
If you want to start listening to metal and you already listen to punk you should check out bad brains, Ufo for something more chill, v8 is a nice crossover between punk and metal but its in spanish
>>
>>64354238
Not the anon you are talking to but
>Yes, you are correct. I have continuously listened to shit recommended to me in threads like these though.
I like metal and everytime i listen to something someone here recommends i feel like im going to vomit. Generally metalheads here have shit taste, maybe because they are all teens, maybe because that "hardcore" subgenre is so popular right now, but its the worst side of metal imo
>>
>>64354238
This is considered prog metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAHqKCqx3B4
Notice the edgy lyrics, the drummer doing blast beats like a madman, the useless divebombs and natural minor wanking, and the futility of all of that.
>>
>>64354281
>Well do you play guitar?
No. I was going to learn earlier in life but got caught up in other things.

>If you dont i dont think you can understand how sometimes making metal music is difficult
I understand that it is difficult to play. That has never really been my problem with metal, I totally understand that part. I just don't get why I should really care about how difficult something is to perform physically rather than the sound of it, you know?

>you should check out bad brains, Ufo for something more chill, v8 is a nice crossover between punk and metal but its in spanish
I'll check these out.

Oh, I also want to make it clear to everyone that I'm not this guy>>64354238 who is obviously baiting the metal listeners.
>>
File: 1446031166975.jpg (82 KB, 621x672) Image search: [Google]
1446031166975.jpg
82 KB, 621x672
>>64353373
>There is literally nothing of interest that any artists are doing
>>
>>64354238
>metal is juvenile
>praises punk for its anarchic and rebellious quality
heh
>>
>>64354416
Oh i get what you say, of course it has nothing to do the difficulty of it with how good is it, but i think most metal fans are guitar/some instrument players and they are aroused by the ability of the shredders.
Cool, tell me later what do you think of them
>>
>>64351170
>metal
>not complex

wew lad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Cro2yxRjw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEo8IrU5MQk
>>
>>64354502
>Cynic
Always liked their demo more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0s6Fpxkryg
>>
>>64354502
>Obscura
>Textures
fucking ace choices anon
>>
>>64354502
Throwing your instruments down a set of stairs does not make something complex.
>>
>>64354502 >>64351170
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3JeaBoBU-c
>>
File: MikelScoot.jpg (104 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
MikelScoot.jpg
104 KB, 1280x720
>>64354238
>I imagine metal being very popular with managers at paper companies
>>
>>64354601
Dwight and his friends are the real metalheads tho
>>
>>64354502
That weird tapped fourths they do at 2:40 never fails to impress me, I wonder how they found that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PneRbPrCsZE

>>64354555
None so vile isn't mind baffling complex, there's just a really tight relationship between every instrument in there, that's what makes it more impressive imo.
>>
>>64354502

>Gorguts
Okay, anon. Seriously, and I'm being 100% serious here. I am not trolling, seriously, okay? Alright?
What in the hell makes you think this is "complex"? And please don't start talking about "fretwork". Something being difficult to play doesn't make it musically interesting.

>Cynic
This is actually okay. guitar tone used feels a little cheesy to me though, like it belongs in a Caribbean soft rock band.
>>
File: image.jpg (160 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160 KB, 960x640
>"uncommon time signatures are so rad man \m/"

>"dUde like this really is so heavy I can't breath under its raw weight"
>>
>>64354552
I don't generally like metal but both of those albums are extremely impressive, actually. If you think that sounds like throwing instruments down stairs I suppose you also think jazz is random notes and shoegaze is random noise.
>>
File: ne obliviscaris is patrician.png (130 KB, 489x933) Image search: [Google]
ne obliviscaris is patrician.png
130 KB, 489x933
brief reminder that this shit is being taught in music universities alongside actual classical compositions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMorAdnCixg
>>
>>64354684
And I suppose that triggers you.
>>
>>64354709
no, it's actually really good.
>>
>>64354652
not him but
>changing rhythmic structure / time signatures
>unusual harmonies
>technical guitar and drum work

Also, are you talking about "complex" or about "interesting" because those are not the same thing - "complex" has at least some objective basis while "interesting" is purely subjective and let's be real nobody gives a shit what you think is interesting
>>
>>64354746
I agree.
>>
File: get-color-lp_1024x1024.jpg (455 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
get-color-lp_1024x1024.jpg
455 KB, 1000x1000
Okay metalheads. I just listened to a few tracks of bad brains and it was actually pretty good.

I'm going to post this which isn't metal but noise rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPSmtGTLB3A
Do you honestly think this is less complex than metal? Just a question.

If so, please explain why.
>>
>>64354820
Well Bad Brains were a punk group so I don't know what that means for metalheads but okay
>>
post extremely complex and sophisticated thinking man's metal that proves OP wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56B9wDFTJk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpIE2ERudpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHryIVROVIA
>>
>>64354652
They threw out everything metal was and did something completely new, which is what I think makes it really interesting, previous to Obscura there was nothing really like it.
>>
>>64354238
So first you complained because metal is too simple but now you're complaining because it's too technical? Make up your fucking mind dude. Also, it's obvious at this point that you're determined to continue to not like any metal no matter what anyone says or what recs or dialogue you get out of it, so why are you still here? Just listen to what you like and forget anout metal. Live and let be man.
>>
>>64354652
>Something being difficult to play doesn't make it musically interesting
isn't that the point of complexity tho?
>>
If you consider that all reactions to music are based on microscopic stimuli accumulated over a lifetime cooked over a random affinity for certain sounds and rhythms, then basically all responses are totally valid (minus some bad grammar) in the context of who says them.

Some of which are fedoramen, others are alpha dudebros. It's something that can't be properly appreciated if you are evenly slightly disturbed by music which doesn't directly appeal to you.

Is there anything else to say about it, honestly??
>>
>>64351170
It depends what genre/band. A band like Slayer isn't too complicated but a band like TesseracT makes some truely beautiful music
>>
>>64354944
>TesseracT

even metalfags laugh at you
>>
>>64354820
>Do you honestly think this is less complex than metal?
Can't really compare an entire genre with one song by one band by yes, there are plenty of metal songs that are more complex than this one.
As a matter of fact it's a simple song composition-wise. It's all in 4/4 with a basic drum beat and as far as I can hear all the notes are in the same scale - except the noise part, which doesn't really have notes.
Serious question, do you have any knowledge about composition?
>>
>>64354944
I used to hate and talk shit on Tesseract. Now I really appreciate them. Fav song would either be Nocturne or Calabi-Yau. You?
>>
>>64354872
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Td9rWXlKNk
>>
>>64354820
Take out the noise part in your exemple and you've got a pretty boring thing, and even the noises in there don't really make me wonder anything about them, they feel more like a background than anything.
In comparaison, this is complete utter noise, but still done with a regular 2 guitars 1 bass 1 drums, which make it partly interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSgEGKonGzg
>>
>>64354238
>Like what? I mean artists.

Wishbone Ash, Pink Floyd, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert King, Derek Trucks, Perturbator, Edvard Grieg, Vivaldi, Ozric Tentacles, Gong, Budgie, OTT, Globular, Pepe Romero, Meg Meyers, Susanne Sundfor. Hell, even got into Grimes the other day. Do I have to go on? I imagine these are all pleb or meme to you anyway.

>What I don't understand is why they seem so fascinated with the use of those images

One of the reasons is probably because it provokes a reaction like yours now. Also, it's cool and imaginitive(and cliche and derivative, yes I know that). It symbolizes the undeniable aspect of being a human that is morbid, sinister, dark and.. dare I say evil? Nevermind, I'm clearly just some angsty edgelord who is frustrated because he can't get laid or something.

>Tell me how this isn't technical masturbation.

Plenty of metal is boring, technical "look at me I can play guitar" wankery, I agree with you there, but it all had to start somewhere, right? And sifting through the mediocrity you'll eventually come across something that is unique, well-crafted and has a tonne of soul and creativity put into it.

As for your last arguement, you're basically just saying "the genres I prefer are true and real, the genres you prefer are just mimicking my genre and pretending to be true and real!"

I'm likely preaching to the choir now, but I'll link you some metal anyway.

Some older stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlcApCaBvJM

Some newer stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjH8RAJBBu0

None of these have lyrics about gorey deaths, rape and torture of people, or anything like that.

I may also add that for me personally a big part of loving metal is the sound of the vocal styles(not all of them) and the sound of highly distorted electric guitars, I've loved that sound since I first heard it as a child.
>>
>>64354973
>do you have any knowledge about composition?
No, I don't.

So that's what makes some metal complex? Time Signatures changing and the changing of scales?

What are some non metal bands that do this that I might have listened to? Like any krautrock or progressive rock I might know that does this?
>>
>>64354870
I told him he should check them out, its a crossover band and they incorporated solos in their songs which he may not be used to.
>>
File: Live1-na.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Live1-na.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>64355025
>PORTAL
Weird band to work with live. The drummer only wanted his cymbal and snare in the monitor. Nothing else. Every other member was pretty much the same, only hearing themselves and maybe one other element.

>>64355034
>Perturbator
Check out Trevor Something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ_0oav7Rdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfsQ3iAGS44
>>
>>64353373
Of all the people you just called trigged, I'd only say >>64352887 this guy is actually mad, everyone else seemed reasonable and actually made points you didn't even so much as acknowledge.
>It's all literally pop songs with sped up tempo and really stupidly edgy lyrics
>Literally every fucking band name is some mixture of religion, death and disease
>Every fucking song just has this overwhelming sense that the makers and listeners of this music want to abuse women during sex.
This is telltale sort of points a person would bring up when they don't understand a genre. You will see the same sort of baseless mudslinging ("Every song is just X") coming from people who pick on hiphop and jazz and beyond.
>>
>>64354820
hey thats pretty good.
Still, behind the noise, which i cant really tell if its just random or made with a synth, i feel like this is a pretty basic song, the first half is pretty much the same chord and drum beat, at the end there is a nice fill but nothing else
>>
File: tumblr_nsp1peCkhu1usv7xpo1_540.png (325 KB, 540x298) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsp1peCkhu1usv7xpo1_540.png
325 KB, 540x298
If metal is so awful then what genres should I branch out to?
>>
>>64355025
I'm the non-combative anon that doesn't like metal. This is actually relatively interesting though.
>>
>>64355158
everything, why would you only listen to one genre of music
>>
Let's post some metal that can be considered complex. also keep in mind that there are different kinds of complexities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3uV_ZuPOcw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckhrdoNvYJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65HwfU6pyIk
>>
>>64355158
When metal becomes awful just listen another kind of metal, oldschool heavy metal-hard rock is the way to go
>>
>>64355066
Changing time signatures and keys are a hallmark of prog rock, so probably. Stuff like Yes, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, the list could go on, as the meme goes
>>
File: The Mantle 4.jpg (72 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
The Mantle 4.jpg
72 KB, 600x600
>>64353373
>People always telling me that metal makes me want to murder and rape women
I'll be over here with the Agalloch, fellas.
>>
>>64355158
Black metal.
Once you get into black metal, that's all there is.
>>
>>64355123

Oh, thanks for reminding me. I'd been meaning to check out Trevor Something.
>>
>>64355344
Bith those tracks are off Death Dream which is a lot darker sounding than the earlier stuff. If you want something more typical of synthwave/retrowave the other two might be better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzroPCQOcMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVBpPILI72I
>>
>>64351170
Well, classical composers had long hair.

Metal musicians have long hair.

Checkmate.
>>
>>64355267
So why do I like them so much more than metal. Is it just the overall aesthetic? This is more of question directed at me I guess.

Like I can't get into Pink Floyd either really though. King Crimson is cool though.

I don't know.

Can there be a metal band that doesn't have growling vocals or uses that specific same tone of guitar that I hear so much in metal going back to the 80s.

Like is there a metal band that doesn't have that over the top aesthetic?
>>
>>64355066
>So that's what makes some metal complex? Time Signatures changing and the changing of scales?
I mean, yeah. If we're talking about composition, rhythm, melody and harmony are pretty much the root of everything.
Maybe you were talking about production or sound design though - in which case, sure, metal bands usually use the same drums-guitars-bass formula, but then again so do all the genres that come from blues.

If you can't get past the sonic aspect of metal, maybe try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZm319Bf0I - it's a jazz fusion band playing progressive metal-inspired tunes.
>>
This entire thread has been 99% shitposts and a few people trying to sincerely debate a nuanced topic
>>
>>64355417
Which one is this?
>>
>>64355434
I think you know which.
>>
>>64354652
lmfao
>>
>>64355417
That is 4chan in a nutshell my friend
>>
>>64355216
that second link's actually really neat, i had no idea that power metal could be good
>>
>>64354793
>let's be real nobody gives a shit what you think is interesting
This should be /mu/'s slogan or something
>>
>>64355404
>growling
there are literaly thousands of bands that have clean vocals

>what is black sabbath
>>
>>64355560
>Implying Dio sang cleanly.
>>
>>64355526
They're the dankest power metal band on meme street.
>>
>>64355404
I don't, I was just chiming in. I like some metal like Death, Agalloch, and Gorguts but I wouldn't claim to be a huge fan. In general I don't really listen to much prog or metal anymore.
>>
File: pic7.jpg (240 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
pic7.jpg
240 KB, 1280x960
>>64352837
>you'll learn when you're older.
>>
>>64355583
>who is Ozzy

Besides, Dio sang cleaner than a nun that doesnt know men or sex exists.
>>
>>64351723

>all metal is the same
>>
>>64355603
Oh, oops. Thought you said "why do you like them so much more?"
>>
>>64355216
>metal that can be considered complex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCNxvZLmlQo (pretty good compromise between complex and catchy imo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBDvDBuLKEY (bis)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msmz-o_EhQk (unusual composition and production)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc (I can already hear y'all typing furiously)
>>
>>64353373
You're literally only stereotyping Brutal Death Metal, not even well, and throwing in conjectures and shitty projections.

This post is fucking retarded
>>
>>64354024
Hey Images and Words is the heaviest fucking album of all time
>>
>>64355655
>>64355603
Yeah... I don't like disliking an entire genre of music honestly. I even like some country/folk but I just can't really get into metal.

Stuff like Black Sabbath is okay but I've never been drawn to it and I don't even consider it to be very metal because it sounds more or less like a regular rock band to me.
>>
File: cloakofaltering.jpg (426 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
cloakofaltering.jpg
426 KB, 1200x1200
Holy shit who the fuck cares if you don't like metal.

My love of metal isn't threatened by somebody else thinking it's literally shit.
>>
>>64355808
Well, let's try to find you some entry bands again. Who are your favorite artists / genres in general?
>>
>>64355888
then why did you post here
>>
>>64355216
have some complexity from weeabooland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nov95WUMSFQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuHOMe4R_SE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0lq3C_54i8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWqnofhRSLo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UubndeGE8js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8v4xFvATy0
>>
>>64355909
the "who the fuck cares" is directed towards other metalheads
>>
>>64351723
>Avant Garde jazz
>Not bebop or hard bop
confirmed for actual shit taste and not knowing much about complexity.
>>
>>64355978
they also think your taste is shit, and if you think there are metalheads here you are delusional. It's all memes and falsefags.
>>
>>64355901
I'm a pretty big fan of Can.

I might say that I like the Velvet Underground's White Light/White Heat enough to put it pretty close to the top of any list I make of favorite albums.

I like experimental stuff like This Heat, early electronic progressive stuff like manuel gottsching. 70s ambient Eno is pretty cool and much more interesting than his pop stuff to me.

I like Synthpunk a lot.

As for modern bands I like Shoegaze stuff like Deerhunter. I like Liars, I obviously like Health as well. Floating Points, Oneohtrix Point Never is pretty good. That should be a good general basis I guess.
>>
>>64354378
Nice bass lines desu.
>>
>>64353373
>it's like no one in the genre has any self awareness.
couldnt be more wrong. most metal musicians are completely aware of the cheese involved in what theyre playing, and its all a part of the fun.
>>
>>64356107
>I like Shoegaze
There's always Sunbather (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfbLWHT7vUU) which is somewhere between shoegaze and black metal.
Have you tried doom metal ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhnSFlLwaYY for example.
Also try Skeletonwitch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W0g_2Jg4ME), it's somewhere between black metal and punk rock.
>>
I know I am attracted to the technicality of metal, I regularily listen to leprous, strapping young lad, meshuggah, death, gorguts, and... COUGH dream theater COUGH

I don't think metal is set apart by it's technicality, as can be shown by stoner/sludge/doom metal etc, but the style is very suited to complex and non-standard styles from it's roots in being very underground
>>
I haven't had a thread on /mu/ make me laugh in ages
>>
prog metal though.
>>
>>64356107
Don't listen to the other guy.

Try Blind Idiot God, Athiest, Peste Noire, Khanate, Pyrrhon and Today is the Day
>>
>>64356361
I do know about Sunbather and Deafheaven in general. I definitely don't mind it. I even listened to it more than once when it came out but it seems that I'm mostly enjoying the Shoegaze parts and not really the metal influences.

>Doom Metal
Okay the one you posted is pretty good, like I'm probably going to download the album but I'm not sure when i'll listen to it. most of the time I listen to stuff based on my emotional mood.

>Skeletonwitch
Not feeling this for whatever reason.

I've also thought about trying out stuff like Sunn O))) and that other major Drone Metal group I'm forgetting the name of right now because of my interest in drone/ambient.
>>
>>64356539
Okay, if you liked the doom metal one you should try Abandon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WelGCqCkO4) - it's more abrasive, drony and depressing but it's my favorite doom metal band, I think.
>>
>>64356710
Yeah this is pretty good for my tastes until the vocals come in. I guess I just really hate that vocal style.
>>
>>64354378

In what backwater ass place is this prog?

Fuckin metalcore plebs trying to jack our labels
>>
>>64356938
You need to feel like you're screaming with him, not him screaming at you.
(but I understand, it's not for everyone. Me I like screaming even in non-metal genres.)
>>
>>64357029
I guess I'm just not that angry. I don't really have any pent up rage or anything that I need to vent.

Is that fair or is that an unfair generalization?
>>
>>64355192
I just don't have the time to find new things anon
>>
>>64357151
thats fine
no one has the time for music anymore
>>
>>64354502
>gorguts

The title track of Obscura is technical not in a speed sense but the fucking picking technique and the pickup slam thing they do to make the scratchy sound.
I know how to play it on guitar and getting those rhythms right is fucking hell
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 750x356) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 750x356
>>64354944
>djent
>beautiful and complicated
OHHH LORD HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA
>>
File: proge mon.jpg (158 KB, 871x1280) Image search: [Google]
proge mon.jpg
158 KB, 871x1280
>>64357279
>>64357360
This trip is an admitted shitposter. Disregard him.
>>
>>64357434
ebin post u sure prooved me rong XDDD
>>
>>64357453
me prove you rong time
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.