[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OFWGKTA Thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2
File: ofwgkta.jpg (65 KB, 640x339) Image search: [Google]
ofwgkta.jpg
65 KB, 640x339
Anyone remember the hype on /mu/ around 2011?

Anyone else sad for the future?

Are they still considered /mu/?
>>
i like wolf
>>
remember the Earl shirts?
>>
>>64339467
frank is
bastard is still the best release to come out of the group
>>
>>64339467
I miss how hype everyone was for them, calling them the new Wu Tang and shit.

Dom's album was pretty solid, but kinda boring.
>>
File: tumblr_lh9y32tMNo1qa78cio1_500.jpg (204 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lh9y32tMNo1qa78cio1_500.jpg
204 KB, 500x328
>>64339575
>>
remember when people said they were the next Wu-Tang Clan?
>>
They're long gone my man, they pretty much dissolved early last year. even earlier i'd say
>>
>>64339576

how did Frank become part of the collective anyway?
>>
>>64339632
Naw, they're good. They just decided to take a break and do their own individual shit. They're gonna be making a comeback in the next year or so.
>>
Earl and Frank are probably the two most distanced from the group and they clearly make the best music. That should tell you something.

Tyler could probably make another good album if he wasn't such a spastic idiot.
>>
>>64339688
>denial
>>
>>64339688

They seem less volatile than Wu Tang. So my hopes are up for some kind of regrouping
>>
>>64339698
WOLF was by far his best album
>>
>>64339698
>Earl and Frank are probably the two most distanced from the group and they clearly make the best music
This is why we don't need Odd Future anymore. The standout acts in the group have already been identified and they're pretty much better on their own at this point
>>
>>64339576
This
>>
>>64339467
>Anyone remember the hype on /mu/ around 2011?

Funny how all their hype died after Goblin was a disappointment and Death Grips suddenly showed up.
>>
Syd tha Kyd was the best thing to come out of the group.

She actually has a nice voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z32HJ7PHnKY
>>
>>64339746
goblin was a good album
>>
>>64339645
>"I met them at the end of ‘09. I don’t keep a journal or anything like that, so I don’t remember dates and times that I met folks, but it’s all through creativity. That’s how we clicked. It’s like how you meet anyone else. I guess social networking is a part of how people meet these days, but that’s not how this happened. It was more like a person-to-person, mutual friends, sort of thing."

sounds like he doesnt remember the specifics
>>
>>64339467
I was just thinking about this yesterday. It's crazy how much hype they used to have. I marathoned a bunch of their projects yesterday, here's what I think of them now in 2016:

Bastard - 6.5/10
Goblin - 4.5/10
Wolf - 7.5/10 (love how whimsical this was)
OF Tape Vol 2 - 6/10
Doris - 7/10

It's insane how they really did capture lightning in a bottle. They have a stronger grasp on the concept of youthfulness in music than any artist I can think of. Lot of genuinely nostalgic jams, especially on Wolf

It actually sounds like music made by a bunch of misfit kids, and it is

Secretly hope they get back together and start cranking out some great stuff
>>
>>64340340
if OF actually got back together and started making shit similar to what they were doing 2010-2013 i would get rock hard
>>
>>64340418
when that video for Oldie came out, it honestly felt like they were about to take over the world. just never happened though.
>>
>>64340465
looking back Oldie was when OF hit their peak. swear every member was dope back then. loiter squad was pretty funny as well

felt like OF was an actual cultural force back then. not just a hip hop thing but something which was going to make its presence powerfully felt throughout pop culture.

such a pity.
>>
>>64340465
>>64340512
>tfw watching their first Sandwitches performance at Fader fort
>tfw they still played Earl at the end of the show despite Earl not being there, and nobody had to rap his parts because the crowd knew all the words

Fuck, this gives me goosebumps.

What do you guys think stopped them from going to the next level? Earl and Frank's detachment? Mike G not being there for most of the time?
>>
>>64339698
>Earl
>makes the best music

ahahahahahahaha
>>
You can identify bandwagon fans by their opinions of cherry bomb. Cherry Bomb was Tyler going deeper into his influences and an honest evolution of his older style, but people shit on it because its not cool to like OF anymore. If you GENUINELY enjoyed Tyler's production before you'd enjoy it on Cherry bomb. If you always hated his music then you're fine.

Earl got pretentious and "Deep" so naturally /mu/ ate his bullshit up.
>>
>>64341307
Earl's also a much better rapper than anyone else in OF and has a production aesthetic that fits his raps pretty well. He's only grown from being an Eminem wannabe to an MF DOOM wannabe to himself. Yeah he's a little pretentious but I bet it's pretty hard not to be when you're hyped up as rap Jesus by hundreds of thousands of people across the country after one mixtape you put out when you were an edgy 16 year old. And shame on him for actually trying to deal with his family and other personal issues in a mature way in his music, right?
>>
>>64339751
passionless and monotone singing. really nothing special.the production, however, is quite good.
>>
>>64341576
>Family issues
>Personal issues

I love this mythologizing earl gets like growing up rich was so difficult

>wahhh my dad
you're like 21 bro grow the fuck up.

It's marketing as far as I'm concerned, just like tyler's edginess is his marketing. He framed himself as the "deep, depressed one" while tyler continued with saying faggot all the time. Tyler's lyrics aren't great but he's a much better producer and songwriter than Earl will ever hope to be. Earl got boring when he started talking about his "personal problems" like we cared. He makes sleepy time music. Once he dropped the horrorcore schtick it was apparent he has no subject matter or topics or anything vaguely interesting to rap about. As a pure RAPPER from a technical standpoint, yeah he's the best, I wouldn't argue that. But he hasn't been making music that showcases it. I think he needs to realize earl the person is about as interesting as handful of dirt
>>
The hype around Goblin and Tape vol 2 was huge. /mu/ when nuts when Earl popped up on the last verse of Oldie
>>
>>64340465
2013 was when they really went to shit. OF2 was garbage.
>>
>>64341675
you're a tasteless dumbass
>>
I Dont Like Shit was one of my favorite albums last year.

I really like Wolf and Doris too. Other than that can't really stomach these guys.
>>
>>64340748
earl and frank being so detatched 100%

two thirds of OF's A-string just kind of disappeared. tyler couldn't hold up all the other guys by himself
>>
>>64341844
why is being tasteless a bad thing?
>>
>>64341809
>2013 was when OF started being shit
Earl was tearing apart features (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sMLUg7VdXo) and dropped the second best album OF ever produced in Doris in 13. Wolf, aka the best album OF ever created was also released in 2013

you're retarded
>>
>>64341946
>why does eating shit make me vomit?
>>
>>64341844
>mad because I dont suck earls dick like he does

of course

For the record, I thought Doris was a solid effort, but IDLS was garbage aside from 3 or 4 songs
>>
>>64342066
tbf IDLSIDGO was like a 4/10
not a fan of earl's production, he needs to squash the beef with tyler and get some of his production if he's ever going to be as big as he was
>>
>>64341844
Instead of giving a counterargument you whine like a child. Like a true earlyman fan.
>>
i think the majority of /mu/ in 2010 were teenagers
we grew up, op. that's why OF is forgotten here
>>
>>64342103
>in 2010
hahahaha /mu/ is still 80% teenagers why do you think grimes threads are a thing
>>
>>64342089
yeah Id agree with that rating

Earl is mostly miss as a producer, I think the faucet beat is great, though. Idk if Tyler and Earl can really get that early OF magic going again, if tyler did produce for him.
>>
>>64342322
desu i think if earl and tyler sort out their personal shit they'll be capable of producing early-OF quality music. after all they were really close friends circa Bastard/Earl etc
>>
Old OF is pretty unique.They're not teenagers now though and just kind of make mediocre music or don't make any music though
Still have my Odd Future Cat hoodie from when they were really hot though
>>
i remember how big bastard and EARL were
oh and everyone calling "the death grips black dude" tyler's lost father lol

good times roll by
>>
>>64341809
No, that's just when they stopped being relevant. There's a difference.
>>
>>64339617
Ridiculous, they are much better than Wu-Tang Clan.
>>
>>64339780
screen cap this: frank and tyler were lovers

channel orange is about tyler
>>
>>64339617
They still are.
>>
>>64339632
What exactly makes them broken up? Was there like an official announcement? Other than Earl and Frank they're still together, right?
>>
>>64341307
I love both Cherry Bomb and IDLSIDGO. Fight me
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.