[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has popular music done ANYTHING worth saving?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: 1448103502765.png (492 KB, 800x770) Image search: [Google]
1448103502765.png
492 KB, 800x770
Has popular music done ANYTHING worth saving?
>>
File: 936full-pet-sounds-cover.png (1 MB, 936x913) Image search: [Google]
936full-pet-sounds-cover.png
1 MB, 936x913
>>
Nothing is worth saving

Our existence is worthless
>>
Grimes, St. Vincent, Carly Rae Jensen, the list simply goes on. If you're not an indoctrinated elitist you'll see the value in top 40's pop. I'm an open minded music listener and can admit when bell curve music is as good/better than the average poseurtarian rubbish.
>>
>>64292111
>grimes
>>
More than anime

>>64292111
I kind of agree with you but I can't tell if you're implying Grimes and St. Vincent are top 40.
>>
>>64291693
Uh, yes sweetheart :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSe7gUneQas
>>
Has anything ever been worth saving? Who's the arbiter here?
>>
File: 1453309939517.jpg (23 KB, 240x251) Image search: [Google]
1453309939517.jpg
23 KB, 240x251
>>64292157
>I kind of agree
Holy fuck I was baiting end yourself you pathetic faggot.
>>
>>64292212
Honestly I didn't read your entire post or I would have seen "poseurtarian rubbish" and known this but dismissing anything labeled as pop is stupid.
>>
>>64291693
More than the nobodies you listen to.
When your nobodies are gone, no one worth a damn will remember them.
>>
Dumb animeposter
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hffbFKHJS4
>>
>>64292157

>More than anime

K-ON! is better than any popular music album ever made, prove me wrong
>>
>>64292752
They literally can't.
>>
>>64291693
nah i wish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbb_m88eapI
>>
File: consider.gif (500 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
consider.gif
500 KB, 500x374
Your beloved classical was made almost entirely for profit and was meant to be consumed by anyone attending a service of some sort; the "intellectual image" associated with it a modern invention artificially created by academia because it is old and you can teach classes (in order to leech money from people attempting to become "intellectual" like yourself) on it more easily than you can simpler music.

Many forms of music that fall under the blanket "popular music" label have more of your so called "artistic authenticity" - many more avant-garde and experimental musicians who make things considered "popular music" do so out of artistic passion without being able to dip into university funds to help support their exploration of what music is. Popular music also is worth preserving because it reflects the time of its existence - while it is true that Jazz and Classical also do so in more abstract ways, Popular music can show clear and abrupt changes in trends and lyrical content that will give future historians a much easier look into the times of now that will one be considered the distant past.

And unlike traditional music, which is lost forever with the death of a culture (which is an unfortunate reality with the rise of globalism spreading into even the most obscure corners in the Earth), popular music will always be there to be explored by future artists. Popular music also ushered in the widespread availability of recording equipment, meaning that folk songs or beautiful performances that would otherwise be forgotten will now exist until humanity inevitably drives itself extinct.

While it is true that Popular music is much less exciting to analyze on paper than your average art composition, do consider that music has always been something meant to evoke responses in the heart and soul of the listeners - art and traditional music were always for emotional purposes; the "intellectualism first" approach is a modern thing.
>>
File: exoplanet-4fa490151a7d6.jpg (622 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
exoplanet-4fa490151a7d6.jpg
622 KB, 1000x1000
>>64291693
djent
>>
>>64291693

dumb weeaboo
>>
Radiohead and animal collective are good senpai
>>
>>64292752
When will /a/ faggots leave
>>
>>64292111
Those will be forgotten in 10 years at most.
Try citing something pre 00s next time.

BTW pretending to be "open minded" by listening to top 40 is hilarious.
>>
>>64291693
Yes. Prove me wrong weeb baiter
>>
>>64293054

none of this is true

just because classical was often played at services doesn't mean it was just meant to be "consumed". it was often dedicated to important historical events or people, and also for religious rituals such as mass or funerals. when it was performed publicly, it was for the elite of society, not for average peasants. performances were meant to be respected, there was no yelling or cheering or taking pictures with phones and you didn't clap until it was over. the intellectual image was ALWAYS there.

popular music can be done out of artistic passion however the majority of it, even the "underground artists" are for profit and mass consumption. also, the very fact that popular music is mainly a reflection of its time is why it won't stand the test of time musically--this is because in the end the cultural relevance was all that it really had going for it. classical music has survived thousands of years and it will continue to survive because the majority of it is written compositions for any skilled performer to interpret and record. you think people will remember Kanye West and Grimes the same way they remember Bach and Stravinsky? please.
>>
>>64291890
Me
>>
>>64293778
>kanye and Grimes
Why would you choose them as the exemplars of popular music?
>>
>>64293054

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Kill yourself.
>>
Classical fans are fucking trash tier people. And Classical musicians (except composers and conducters) are just robots who can't even improvise. All music genres are equal and if you don't realize that you are a closed minded retard who should step away from music as a whole. There's nothing worse than people that fight about whether their favorite genre is better than any other genre. So shut the fuck up.

>>64293778
You literally have no clue if Bach would be remember in the next 100 years more than kanye, unless you can see the future. It's just a baseless assumption and the only reason you can have to say this is to fuel your ego. Just grow the fuck up.
>>
>>64293922
because they are faggot
why are you purposely acting retarded ?
>>
>>64294094

>Classical musicians (except composers and conducters) are just robots who can't even improvise

not true at all, they don't generally improvise in a jazz way but there is a lot of skill involved in the performer and the conductor interpreting the written composition.

>All music genres are equal

cancerous poptimist thinking that is stifling music as a whole
>>
File: joey.jpg (10 KB, 183x200) Image search: [Google]
joey.jpg
10 KB, 183x200
>>64294094
>He thinks that Kanye = Bach
>>
>really generic question
>anime image

I fucking hate you animefags

I swear, you only come on boards for an excuse to post anime images, using the most basic/lame questions as justification for you being "on topic"
>>
>>64294756
Are you? Going by artistic merit, they are low on the list.
>>
>>64294803
Go on, explain why your taste is good and give me that "list" of yours.
Just wait a sec, let me close this tab.
>>
>>64292111
>I'm an open minded music listener and can admit when bell curve music is as good/better than the average poseurtarian rubbish
:^)
>>
>>64294853
I'm not talking about taste, I'm talking about merit. Learn to view things objectively instead of letting your favorite artists cloud how you think. Do you really believe that Kanye and Grimes represent the absolute best of popular music?

If I had to guess, the exemplar would be someone few people have heard of and didn't do especially well commercially, but maybe someone like Frank Zappa or Brian Wilson or something, I don't know. But definitely not Kanye or Grimes
>>
>>64294782
The majority of classical instrumentalists (which definitely doesn't represents people like Glenn Gould, Jaquline Du Pre, or Itzhak Perlman), they're robots. People that practice 8 hours a day just working on their technique and challenging pieces. Not to mention how you HAVE to be rich to study and play classical music, and you have to have parents that push you towards it, but that has nothing to do with the talent and love you share to music. To be a classical instrumentalist all you gotta do is work hard. You don't need personality in your playing and you don't need that much talent. You just don't have to be such an amazing musician to perform classical music in a orchestra. I have A LOT of respect to composers and conducters, but people overrate the shit out of classical musicians. It's pretty much all about how fast you can play and how fast you can sight read. It's one big pile of bullshit. That being said there are exceptions and obviously there are badass classical musicians. But the majority of them are nothing special.

>>64294790
I don't even like Kanye but it's true. Music is ALL about taste. Writing and playing it all has to do with taste and you just can't say that bach is better than kanye. They both are also very different and give a very different vibe. You don't dance to bach.
>>
Am I the only one in this thread that's not a petty elitist?

I, for one, believe music is all equally worthless
>>
>>64295036

>Not to mention how you HAVE to be rich to study and play classical music, and you have to have parents that push you towards it

not true at all

>You don't need personality in your playing and you don't need that much talent.

also not true. you think anyone can just play piano for a week and suddenly be playing Mozart or Chopin?

>It's pretty much all about how fast you can play

lmao you have no clue what you are talking about. we're not talking about shredding on a guitar or banging on drums like a maniac. classical instrumentation actually requires real technique.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.