[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How good is Sufjan Stevens at all the instruments he plays?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Frazer-Harrison2.jpg (61 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
Frazer-Harrison2.jpg
61 KB, 630x420
Sufjan plays over 10 instruments or so in many of his albums. For people who play any of the instruments he plays, how good is he? Is he beginner level and just uses them tastefully due to him being a good arranger? Or is he a real jack of all trade and was able to get decently good at all the stuff he plays?
>>
Pretty sure you are a FAG OP
>>
>>64290930
i saw the thumbnail and thought sufjan got sleeve tattoos

thank god he didn't
>>
bump. Also, how long would it take the average joe to learn to play his stuff on other instruments, if, let's say, you already knew how to play guitar and/or piano
>>
suf is the best
>>
He's at least adept at guitar and banjo. You can tell by the control he has over the; his playing is never sloppy of uneven, like it would be if he was playing something above his skill level.
Aside from that it's hard to tell. I consider myself pretty good at guitar and can learn most of his stuff in a few minutes. He doesn't do anything flashy or technical, which makes it hard to gauge how talented he actually is. Some of the Carrie & Lowell stuff has more complex acoustic parts that he plays effortlessly, so I'm sure he's better than he lets on.
>>
I don't think Sufjan is technically 'great' at anything he plays. He is an excellent songwriter and arranger.

I'm looking through everything he's played and if you only know how to play piano and guitar, the only instruments I see that could be a struggle would be saxophone, flute, and oboe since those can take a while to learn.
>>
T H E
S U F
I S
L O O S E
>>
S U F
S T A T U S
L O O S E
>>
>>64291547

I figured. I can play his stuff on guitar pretty easily, but I was wondering how good he was at woodwinds, brass, etc. One of my friends who is majoring as a trumpet player said the brass on Illinois sounded kind of sloppy.

Basically, I've been thinking of picking up some more instruments. I don't want to write any virtuosity-level stuff, but I was wondering if it was gonna be a matter of years, or months to even be able to use the stuff at a practical level

From what I read at an interview, he doesn't even own a lot of equipment. He just borrows everything.
>>
I want a guitar playing battle between Sufjan and Annie.
>>
>>64290930
he's very competent at banjo/guitar. Definitely confident at the kind of style he tends to stay in. However, if you wanted to look at artists and compare them by technique he would be middle of the road at best. His songwriting is off the charts though.
Also he is probably middle of the road on piano/keys. I guess what I mean by that is that anyone who has been technically trained could easily play his stuff, but if you were just picking up the instrument it would seem complicated for a while.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.