[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I need to know music theory and if yes how much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: gentoo.jpg (15 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.jpg
15 KB, 500x375
Do I really need to know music theory if I want to make music or I can do it just by ear?The thing is that I want to make complex music with a lot of things going on and was wondering if so which part of music theory I must read because I skimmed through it and its just common sense stuff.
>>
Complex is a vague term. Be more specific as to what you want to play.
>>
If you have talent, yes.
Its like a boost. Brian wilson known about theory for example. Learn all goh can lazy faggot
>>
>>64288546
I think you should learn relevant scales until your ear can pick up on what works, but if you think you have a good understanding, get the fuck off of /mu/, make some dank shit, and enjoy making it. Listening to music is (obviously) extremely important to learning how to make music. Pay attention to the stuff you like the most. How are the songs organize? How SHOULD they be organized based off of the themes and aesthetic you want the listener to experience? Stuff like that.
>>
>>64288596
Like I said already I'm going to use a lot of stuff at the same tame(synths and sfxs)but with completely different structures and not sound like total mess.
>>
>I skimmed through music theory

If you can do a Roman numeral analysis of a Bach choral you're probably good to go
>>
>>64288546
I always say that music theory isn't necessary to enjoy music, but it helps if you want to make your own.
>>
>>64288546
It can only help. I'd recommend it
>>
>>64288737
>dank shit
why do people still say cringe things like that?
>>
>>64288742
You're not saying anything
If you want to make "complex" music then I guess jazz theory would help
>>
>>64289102
75% of people on this board are from Illuminati Shrek Jet Fuel can't Melt Steel Beams Facebook pages who heard about a magical site where you can shitpost about vaporwave and hip-hop all day
>>
>>64289149
Well I really have hard time explain it but I mean music with complex structure where everything is changing often.Since you look like a man who knows a lot about it can you recommend me which site would be the best to learn music theory from.Also wont refuse any tips.
>>
>>64289690
best way to learn how to make complex music is to first learn how to make simple music. you do that by getting your lazy ass off of 4chan and working with software until you figure it out
>>
>>64289690
Search dave conservatoire, watch a fuckton of youtube videos about theory and learn an instrument
It really isn't hard
>>
>>64289799
pretty much this, OP. there is no magical click where you study theory and then crank out multi-faceted structures. you gotta get hands-on to figure anything out.
>>
>>64289799
>using software

Just fucking buy a guitar.
>>
>>64289799
I know but want to make sure because I might miss something in the long term.
>>64289889
Thanks I really appreciate it!
>>64290033
Why would I want guitar when software can do the same thing and even waaaaay more.
>>
According to what I read from Peter Hook in Unknown Pleasures: Inside Joy Division not knowing music theory makes you more innovative and experimental in some regards. Just experiment and strive for what you are aiming to achieve. If you feel that you need music theory to attain a higher level of "complexity" in your music than study it. It's that simple. Hope this helps.
>>
>>64290240

Not necessarily. it'll just make you someone who throws stuff at a wall seeing what sticks. Just listen to complex music, and pay attention to what they're doing.
>>
Well, you obviously need to be tasteful when doing it. lol You can't just throw shit into it and hope to create a master piece; I am with you on that one.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.