[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any experienced drummers here? My bag got stolen last week
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
Any experienced drummers here?

My bag got stolen last week and I had all my notes with drumming exercises and sheets in there so I'm trying to take this as an opportunity and maybe create a whole new practice routine.

I work from home where I practice on a pad for like 6-8 hours a day and I go to practice on my kit in the evenings, usually 3-4 hours and I'm thinking everything would be much more efficient with a stable set of organized exercises.

For reference I've been practicing Stick Control, mostly the first few pages, trying to reach 125 bpm on each exercise, currently fluent and comfortable at 105. And just random rudiments and mixing them up.

On kit I used to mess around but recently I started doing sheet transcripts of songs and learning covers, plus I've been going through Carmine Appice's Realistic Rock book. Everything with a metronome, of course. Any advice is welcome, I'm still horribly bad, been playing for maybe a year now.

Also drummers' thread general? I've never seen one here, honestly.
>>
What type of music are you learning/playing?
Been playing for about 3 years now, never actually bothered to learn about rudiments besides the real basic ones, and I haven't really read much books. My advice would probably be to sometimes go off the books and just play along with some music that you like. Don't worry about whether you are getting the slight individual fills in the right order, etc. just try and get into the groove, because not only is it good practice but you'll have some fun along with it.
>>
File: cmon SON.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
cmon SON.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>64283637
>3 years
>experienced
>>
>>64283409
Sounds like what you're doing right now is pretty good, >>64283637 is totally right about just playing along with stuff you like but I'd definitely say stick with rudiments, they just make constructing fills a lot easier. If you have time for it one of the best things to do is play with other musicians as much as possible, a drummer can be as fancy as they like but in the end the most important thing is knowing how to fit into a groove.
>>
>>64283637
Well, basically trying all kinds of things, except for jazz drumming, can't do a shuffle for shit. But I have 2 things going on right now - one post-punk and one hardcore band. Would really like to get into math rock drumming eventually.

Yeah, playing along to music kind of puts things in context, I'm trying to play all kinds of covers, from indie pop to hip-hop and quite often it's eye-opening for me how hard it can be to stay on track through the whole song even without throwing in complicated rhythms and grooves. Kind of pushed me more towards a minimalistic approach as I always felt the need to put as much stuff everywhere.

If you have time to practice on a pad I can really recommend the Stick Control book by Stone, the first few pages are really essential to a lot of things.

Do you have any drummers you follow?
>>
>>64283803
Yeah, I just started doing that. Playing a bunch of covers in a month so I started learning them along to the songs and now it's basically all I wanna do when I'm on the kit.

I wish I could play with other, BETTER, musicians. Playing with some people right now but music isn't really their priority and it shows. I don't have enough confidence in my playing to go show up at a jam or even ask some random musicians I know a little bit to play with me. Don't have the money to get lectures as well, so I'm sticking with self-teaching for a long time now.
>>
>>64283409

Nobody gives a fuck about if you can play rudiments

Just play solid time, play cleanly, learn to improvise and know the backbones of every genre
>>
>>64283845
Lately I've been getting into Krautrock, and it's quite fun to play.
In fact, learning and playing with this song, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dZbAFmnRVA I think really helped me build my rudimentary type skills, since you have to constantly use your right hand on the hi-hat at a slow pace while you work around the snare with the other. It may sound simple, but it's quite hard to maintain the right rhythm for that amount of time.
Also playing along with a simple motorik beat is cool to test your foot pedal endurance.
I don't particularly have drummers that I follow, but I have a few that I find really great:
>John Stanier (Battles)
>Joseph Easley (The Dismemberment Plan)
>Jimmy Chamberlin (Smashing Pumpkins)
>Steven Drozd (The Flaming Lips)
>>
>>64283845
Also thanks for the recommendation, I've been considering for a long time to get something to help me out and develop more skills and I think I might as well
>>
>>64284107
Hah, Stanier is an idol of mine as well, if you like him you should check out Adam Betts, the was he plays always discourages me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqIdFerv1RI - nice rudimentary patterns use on the cowbell parts.

I've been trying out playing along to some Interpol and they use the motorik bass drum pattern quite often.

Do you ever try to play open-handed? I'm left handed and I have my kit set up in a regular way, so I play open-handed, rudiments help with being able to adapt my stickings to various fills so it works out, but when I have to play with floor tom, as in constantly hitting it with my right hand, it totally fucked me as I'm not used to it. Took me 15 minutes to be able to play straight 8th notes on floor tom with my right and doing double taps on snare with my left - a thing I have no issue with when the hands are the other way around.
>>
>>64284386
Put the floor tom on the other side, nothing wrong with moving the kit to suit your style.
>>
>>64284386
Funnily enough, I haven't played open handed before. Might actually be an interesting thing to try out, thanks haha. Also >>64285242 is right, don't be afraid to change the layout of the kit
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.