[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: 70s artists who survived the 80s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: Philcollins.jpg (19 KB, 390x400) Image search: [Google]
Philcollins.jpg
19 KB, 390x400
ITT: 70s artists who survived the 80s
>>
Aerosmith after spending the whole first half of the decade in limbo.
>>
Phil doesn't look that bad for being in his 80s
>>
Bowie
>>
80s sucked ass pretty much for every famous musician for some odd reason.
>>
It does seem that the Reagan years were hard on a lot of veteran artists whether from middle age burnout or else their image and message simply being incompatible with the 80s.
>>
Fleetwood Mac
>>
File: Lennon.jpg (96 KB, 1015x1014) Image search: [Google]
Lennon.jpg
96 KB, 1015x1014
>>
>>64280108
kek
>>
>>64279103

R. Stevie "The Index" Moore
>>
Journey (tho only up to 83)
>>
>>64280098
'Specially singer-songwriters since the 80s was an era where production trumped songwriting. Nobody wanted to hear some fucker with an acoustic guitar strumming protest songs. Bob Dylan and Neil Young at Live Aid just looked like dinosaurs.
>>
Yeh a lot of 'em became the proverbial guy who wakes up at 40 and realizes he's no longer cool.
>>
>>64279103
did David Byrne???
>>
>>64280231
Some of them like David Crosby et al solved that problem because they simply made songs targeted at their peers instead of kids.
>>
>>64279103
I didn't realize Niles Crane made any albums. : /
>>
>>64280173
Elvis Costello did alright

And how come no one mentioned MJ?
>>
Prince
>>
>>64280173
Not to mention that Farm Aid 85 looked like it was a '78 festival transported into the future

besides having sammy hagar and eddie van halen for some odd fucking reason
>>
>>64280151

I mean
I don't think they count because they LITERALLY rode to record industry chasm of '78-'83 and helped prop up the biggest soft rock boom (cough cough reo speedwagon)

If they lasted after that, then I would count them, but they straddled the 2 worst parts of 2 decades, with the only legacy tying them to any time period is whatever was on MTV and Don't Stop Believin'
>>
>19 posts and no Springsteen
>>
>>64281776
nah he's kinda like pearl jam where they have so many placating fans that as long as they release 5/10's every few years, they stay ferverent
>>
>>64281880
We're talking about the 80s though, not how they are now. Springsteen was under only Madonna and MJ when it came to music superstars for a few years of that decade.
>>
i learned the other day that MJ, Madonna and Prince were all born in the same year

imagine what Madonna would have been like as a child star
>>
>>64279103
>no one has said Waits yet

I'm disappointed in you all
>>
>>64281990
It's more like he came alive in the 80s, really
>>
>>64281880
>ferverent
>>
Tom Petty was arguably more relevant in the 80s than he was in the 70s.
>>
Nobody mentioning Rush?
>>
>>64282144
Rush has always had this 'mainstream in underground'-appeal, which has made them quite immune to music fashion. The same applies to other cult bands with a big group of fans, like Grateful Dead
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.