[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
indie rock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: perfect624.jpg (249 KB, 624x628) Image search: [Google]
perfect624.jpg
249 KB, 624x628
So I've listened to the discographies of Pavement, Built to Spill, and Modest Mouse, but where do I go from there?
>>
>>64271220
indie from before was never handed over very easy the way modern pop indie rock is. Theres a lot of good stuff out there but you have to dig a bit.
>>
Do us a favor: Keep It Like a Secret and delete this thread.
>>
>>64271220
Halo Benders
Tree People
Caustic Resin
Stepen Malkmus and the Jicks
Ugly Cassanova
etc
i.e listen to offshoots that members of those bands played in.
>>
>>64271220
Guided by Voices
>>
File: owls.jpg (116 KB, 938x940) Image search: [Google]
owls.jpg
116 KB, 938x940
>>64271220
>>
>>64271324

this

And that includes Robert Pollards entire discography
>>
>>64271220
Unrest - imperial ffrr
>>
archers of loaf
superchunk
yo la tengo
luna
>>
764-Hero
Beat Happening
Dub Narcotic Sound System
Love as Laughter
Wolf Parade
Mimicking Birds
Morning Teleportation
Man Man
Ogre You Asshole
ReVoLtReVoLt
>>
>>64271273
There's Nothing Wrong with Love for the band, anon.
>>
>>64271273
damn...
>>
Elliott Smith made four of the best indie rock albums of all time and two of the best acoustic singer/songwriter albums of all time t b q h

>>64271324
I've listened to Bee Thousand a few times and I have a hard time getting anything to stick

Sucks too bc I love the lo-fi indie thing but for some reason his songs just don't seem super interesting to me

Maybe I need to give it another shot
>>
>>64272451
Weird man, Bee Thousand is catchy as all heck.

Incidentally, I have yet to find any other indie with songwriting like PFNO. Daydream Nation got similar feels.
>>
>>64272498
I dunno, maybe I just need to give the sort of 90's indie rock thing time. I've listened to a few Built to Spill and Pavement albums too and none of them have been very appealing outside of a few songs. I do really love LCW though.
>>
Does it get better than Lonesome Crowded West, Alien Lanes, and Perfect from Now On? If it does I can't wait.
>>
>>64272966
Yes, see Crooked Rain Crooked Rain.
>>
Thingy/Heavy Vegetable
Shudder to Think
Dismemberment Plan
12 Rods (Mostly their earlier stuff pre 2000)
>>
>>64272966
sorry to say but not really

but for OP i'm going to second the already made reccomendations of Yo La Tengo, Beat Happening, and Archers of Loaf. If Unwound count as indie rock then them too.
>>
Get a crosley and a tumblr and make sure to never shut the fuck up about how much about music you pretend you know.

This probably >>64271324 and >>64272451
>>
>>64273033
>tfw you listened through Unwound's entire discography and nothing appealed to you except Fake Train which landed firmly in the "great but not often in the mood for it" category

Not even Leaves Turn Inside You did much for me. Sucks, I love their music in theory but in practice not so much
>>
>>64273336
im sorry
>>
>>64271220
Stop before it's too late and you turn into a numale
>>
the unicorns
>>
>>64273004
Reminder 12 Rods got a 10.0 from p4k before they were p4kuks. It's a genuinely great EP, maybe not a 10 tho.
>>
Grandaddy
>>
>>64271220
>ctrl+f
>no Dinosaur Jr
C'mon, guys.
>>
Which albums should I start with for Guided by Voices? Their discography is so large...

I saw Alien Lanes and Bee Thousand mentioned above, anything else?
>>
>>64274820
Self-Inflicted Aerial Nostalgia
>>
>>64274820
Under the Bushes Under the Stars is also pretty classic
>>
Silver Jews
>>
>>64271220
Teenage Fanclub
Dinosaur Jr.
Sebadoh
Sentridoh
The Lemonheads
Afghan Whigs
The Posies
Buffalo Tom

and then you'll automatically find a lot others
>>
Silver Jews - American Water
Sebadoh - III
Halo Benders - The Rebels Not In
Guided by Voices - The Best of Guided by Voices: Human Amusements at Hourly Rates
(I know Greatest Hits albums are typically frowned upon, but this truly is a great introduction to the band.)
The Fall - Dragnet / This Nation's Saving Grace
>>
>>64275690
Also
Elliott Smith - Either/Or
Cap'n Jazz - Analphabetapolotholgy
>>
>>64274588
>>ctrl+f
>>no Dinosaur Jr
>C'mon, guys.

Right? this is basic as fuck god damn people
>>
>>64275587
yeah
>>
File: [gabagools externally].png (225 KB, 560x410) Image search: [Google]
[gabagools externally].png
225 KB, 560x410
>>64271220
some good indie i saw just from scrolling through my library real quick: the smiths, beat happening, titus andronicus, meme demarco, the replacements, DIIV, cap'n jazz, the strokes, the stone roses, and of course neutral milk hotel

>>64271650
>owls over cap'n jazz
>mfw
>>
Sebadoh, Galaxie 500, Guided By Voices
>>
I love all of those bands so I guess I might be able to recommend you some shit.

Weezer - Blue, Pinkerton (the rest is rubbish (also not indie rock but it's great))

The Apples in Stereo - Fun Trick Noisemaker, Tone Soul Evolution, World Inside the Moone

Beulah - All four albums are masterpieces, but the best is definitely When Your Heartstrings Break

The Shins - Oh Inverted World

Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains, LOSE

Guided By Voices is an obvious one. Bee Thousand is ridiculously good.

Neutral Milk Hotel if it's not too much of a meme to recommend.

Vampire Weekend - all their albums are great but Modern Vampires is a masterpiece start to finish.

Olivia Tremor Control but really just their first album. Opera something.

If I think up some more rec's I'll post again.
>>
Guided by Voices

I thought Bee Thousand was just alright the first time I heard it at first

Thing is, Pollard has SO MANY amazing songs and I don't think Bee Thousand is even a good starter desu. He has a lot more bright, instantly accessible tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U5BWlCBNS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7KiLRCxt58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN7iFzKk7tc
>>
>>64276216
Bee Thousand is genius because it's Pollard's evolution as a songwriter in one album.
>>
>>64276286
This
Listening to Bee Thousand after listening to Sandbox and Same Place The Fly Got Smashed is fucking crazy
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.