[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What made everyone turn on it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2
What made everyone turn on it?
>>
Fantano
>>
Deakin
>>
They realised it sounds like Fanboy and Chum Chum OST
>>
p4k/fantano
>>
>>64268603
>>64268679
Literally these.

Anyone who monitored the rym score (or has the patience to take averages before/after p4k and fantano reviews) will know that the rating there dropped by like .50+ all the way under a 3.0 only in the time after those reviews came out. The Deak hype didn't help either.

So in short, nobody turned on it for any good reason. Just more droning, except this time the p4k dickriding is against AnCo's favor rather than being in it, as was the case with MPP. The people who hopped on the bandwagon because they have no opinion of their own have hopped off for the exact same reason. Seriously, talk to anyone who disliked this album. 10 to 1 they'll just say the word "hocketing" and then run away.

Hopefully with all of the p4k dickriders off of this band, discussions about it won't be as insufferable or fuccboi filled. These guys have literally never given a shit about money or critical success, so nothing of value was lost as a result of the bandwagoners hopping off board.
>>
>>64268807
Or maybe some people just didn't like it that much.
>>
>>64268583
BRAINFREEZE
>>
>>64269038
I know correlation doesn't equal causation, but the score tanking .5 over the course of like one week after p4k and fantano gave the album a low score is not a coincidence. Sorry.
>>
>>64268583
I will say this. I gave it a listen, and I liked it.

Well, i didn't really listen to it, I just listened to floridada. But I liked that song so the rest of the album is good in my book

>>64268807
Thumbs up bro,.
>>
It got slammed by pitchfork which cost it some points but a lot of people were still holding on in hope that maybe Fantano would save it and give it an 8+
When he panned it more people started jumping ship, a lot stayed the course though.
When Deak released Sleep Cycle it was basically the end for PW because that album is objectively better than Painting With and people had gotten pretty tired of it by then.
>>
>>64268807
the extreme fanboys were the ones rating it before its release (around the same time p4k and fantano's review came out) so of course they'll be just as biased as "p4k drones" just on the opposite side of the spectrum

i listened to it when it first leaked and it's literally an entire album of the same quirky whacky xDDD vocal effects song after song. you delusional stans are just as pathetic as the drones
>>
I think more people decided to give it a listen, and they didn't like it. I never liked it to begin with. Don't blame p4k or fantano necessarily, blame the publicity they gave to the album which might have caused more people to check it out and realize that it's not that great.
>>
>>64269101
>i listened to it when it first leaked and it's literally an entire album of the same quirky whacky xDDD vocal effects song after song.

Shit like this is why I know you're a mindless drone because literally only half of the album has hocketing. Grow a brain and farm your own opinion on it, kiddo.
>>
>>64269101
>>64269132
These are probably more accurate.
>>
Turn on it? Most AnCo fans didn't like it from the beginning. I included.

It was a weak release from a strong band, what do you expect people to do?
>>
i still dig it. lying in the grass is their best song since reverend green 2bh
>>
>>64268624
I don't get this meme
>>
Listening to it
>>
>>64268583
As someone who has no hangups about admitting that this band changed not only how I think about music but how I thought about life, it's easy to wonder if Painting With and Centipede Hz signal an ending, or at least a consequential lull. Fifteen years is longer than most bands last, let alone great ones. Part of Animal Collective's image—or my image of them, at least—entailed fantasy of three to four guys sacrificing themselves at the foot of their loop pedals to conjure some other, bigger, more powerful god. Now, they're parents living in different zip codes and riding the festival circuit. Panda Bear's solo albums are more interesting than they've ever been and Avey Tare has kept busy, but the time that they were a bellwether for the horizon of independent music seems in ebb. Old heads will tell you that the most exciting part of seeing them live was hearing songs months, sometimes years before they came out on record: I, for example, remember being in the basement of a sushi restaurant in Charlottesville, Virginia, watching Sung Tongs before anyone knew it existed, or wading through Webster Hall to a gorgeous, slowly dawning song they later called "Banshee Beat." The feeling of that moment is hard to describe, but it was something like standing in the light of a secret. Times change, life intervenes. Painting With was the first time the band jumped right into the studio. Work can be scheduled, magic can't.
>>
>>64269306
its like a couple people trying to force the latest /mu/ meme

just ignore and report
>>
>>64269325
I'm ashamed that I recognized something from a p4k review but I did. Fuck off and get your own opinion.
>>
>>64268583
>implying we ever liked it
We just fell for the hype that's all.
>>
File: DUH.png (416 KB, 624x480) Image search: [Google]
DUH.png
416 KB, 624x480
Two aspects, the first being external causes like:

>Fantano's score, Pitchfork's score
>The hype for Deakin's record

Giving an underwhelming feel to the listener.
And the second causes being internal:

>All of the songs sound almost the same, except for the two leading singles, Floridada and Golden Gal, which do sound similar even between themselves
>The songs don't match the standards of these two leading singles, giving the listener a sense of delusion
>The first half is "alright" repetitive songs, the second one becomes unbereably filler except for Golden Gal, including the fact that a song lasts less than two minutes (you call Spilling Guts a song?)

It was an attempt to do a '60s style record but with modern touches, kind of the electronic Beach Boys: it failed because they couldn't write at least a dozen of decent melodies that don't sound all of the same.
Then there's the lyrics, that are repeated too many times and wanted to be this kind of "genius and minimalist" approach to writing that early pop music had. Again, it isn't their shtick, they never did that and flunked.

It was out of their style, they tried but couldn't expand their horizons very well. AnCo is a band that uses weird sounds, signatures and varied lyrics, on this album they pretended to be square to reinvent new mainstream pop music.
>>
>>64269101
>it's literally an entire album of the same quirky whacky xDDD vocal effects
Excellent nuanced criticism. The Collective had cubism in mind when they employed that technique. It's not even as overused as you seem to think.
>>
>>64269101
>the extreme fanboys were the ones rating it before its release (around the same time p4k and fantano's review came out) so of course they'll be just as biased as "p4k drones" just on the opposite side of the spectrum

this. it happens with almost every album/fanbase too. of course it's the hardcore fans who are listening to the leaks and then rating it highly at first. there's always a windfall.
>>
>>64269489
>they've never done minimalist lyrics
this is how i can tell you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about
>>
I still enjoy the album though not nearly as much as the first 3 listens. Easily their least impressive work, but it's still a great feel good pop record to play from time to time. Gnip Gnop should be on there instead of Spilling Guts
>>
>>64269935
If you're thinking about Sung Tongs and co., keep your boner inside the pants.
>>
>>64269988
nah i'm thinking about literally every song panda bear has ever written
>>
Because it sucks. There are 2 good tracks and both were released as singles beforehand. It was shit before fantano reviewed it and it's shit after. It's an awful disappointment of an album. Get over it.
>>
>>64270010
Panda's lyrics != '60s style
>>
People are gonna like it again 3 years from now
>>
>>64269489
>>All of the songs sound almost the same

Hot opinion. Why do you feel that way? Harmonic structure, lyrical themes, something that's sonically overused which leads the songs to feel the same? What is it, anon?

>The songs don't match the standards of these two leading singles

Hot opinion. What about the two leading singles makes them heads and shoulders better than the other tracks?

>The first half is "alright" repetitive songs

They're actually not repetitive at all. They all evolve very cohesively and have several non sequitur sections introducing new melodies and rhythms entirely.

>(you call Spilling Guts a song?)

Dunno why I wouldn't.
>>
>>64270063
This. CHz is getting retrospective love, same thing will happen with this album. Its rym rating will return to around 3.25 before 2020. Screencap this.
>>
>>64269325
avey tare said that he only performed feels on charlottesville, 10 min later the p4cuck writer changed it on the article rofl
>>
>>64270118
CHz is still and always will be sub-par
>>
>>64270041
panda's lyrics = minimalist
you said minimalist lyrics have never been their "shtick" when uhhhh it has been all along. lyrics wise painting with is no different from any other ac album
>>
>>64269245
Dude what
>>
it's just sort of stale to me, honestly. i maybe would have found it refreshing two or three years ago but the uncanny and wonky synths and sound design are so played out imo, and the tones and timbres simply aren't dynamic or complex enough to breathe new life into that style.

i have no problem with the album being ~40%-50% hocketing in theory, but the execution was off. the way they broke up words really made the melodies sound almost nonexistent.
>>
>>64268583
First listen i liked it, or wanted to like it idk. Subsequent listens were very underwhelming
>>
>>64270385
>i have no problem with the album being ~40%-50% hocketing in theory, but the execution was off. the way they broke up words really made the melodies sound almost nonexistent.
this
listen to boy's latin, it's still catchy and groovy with the hocketing, maybe even because of the hocketing. most of the songs on PW (maybe besides Hocus Pocus) sound like they had a normal melody wrtitten and then they just did that with hocketing.
>>
>>64268583
Bacterial marketing.
>>
>>64268583
I dunno about everyone else, but that stupid Dj Aaron Ellis sample that was in every song turned me off from it. I have no idea what the point of that was.
>>
I listened to Floridada and I LOVE THAT SONG, but then I heard the rest of the album and I must say i was pretty disappointed. I think i just need to give it more listens
>>
>>64270089
not him but yeah they even said they wanted the album to have a "homogenous feel", all of the songs having a similar feel to them. So yeah he's right on that.

I also agree with his other points but yeah.
>>
>>64272046
This was me at first.

Every song becomes as catchy after that, and you'll appreciate some of the slower ones like Recycling and On delay
>>
its bad
>>
>>64273389
why is it bad, anon
>>
>>64273697
its not good
>>
>>64273886
oh, alright
>>
It was so underwhelming. This was the first album I've had to wait for and aside from On Delay, the album didn't really have anything memorable.
>>
It's above average, but Deakin's album blows it out of the water.
>>
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR ITTTTTT DOUBLYYYYYY CLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
>>
testing ban
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.