[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of modern 12-bar blues?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: jock_block.jpg (119 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
jock_block.jpg
119 KB, 640x480
OK, the guys like Stevie Ray Vaughan could play guitar, that's true. But what's the point of doing it over the same I-IV-V progression? What's the matter—why not play something different, like for example Eric Clapton does?

Also, they always look like they're receiving a blowjob while they're playing. Then they come to the mic to sing, pretending they're saying something extremely emotional and wise, and it's all just usual "my bay left me" stuff. In fact, all of it looks like people copying the mannerisms of black musicians who were popular when this kind of music still was somewhat fresh (B.B. King and so on).
>>
>OP is baffled by opinions differing from his own

this thread again?
>>
the blues more or less went to shit the moment whites started playing it. it was a wonderful form of sorrowful expression among negroes because they experience actual hardship worth writing about, but whites couldn't think of anything to actually be sad about so it's just "muh baby left me"

bob dylan did blues okay I guess bc at least his lyrics were dope
>>
>>64257075
99% of threads on /mu/ when they're remotely music related
>>
There is no point in rehashing old blues licks nowadays. People like Jack White do it because it's easy as fuck and all you have to do is buy a janky old guitar and amp, turn it up, and play power chords and blues scales. People listen to it because they're either 60+ and it's what they've always listened to, or they're 15-30 and want to seem cool.
>>
The difference comes in interpretation. I personally like to improvise atonally over the 12 bar blues and substitute the chords for some weird altered shit.

There's an infinite number of ways to re-imagine the 12 bar blues.
>>
Because blues is like that. You already know what chord's gonna come after. You already know what the singer is talking about. It's more about listening to the way they make each I-IV-V sound different from the others. It's like listening to remixes of a song you really like.
>>
>>64257160
I'm not absolutely certain as to where blues starts and ends, but sure there are at least different progressions than I-IV-V? I mean,

>It's like listening to remixes of a song you really like.

—I understand that, but if someone told me he listened for years to the remixes of the same song I'd probably consider him an autist.

Don't get me wrong—I like blues. There's really cool stuff out there like Robert Wilkins, which I think hasn't aged much. But again, it's not all I-IV-V. If they can play around these chords so well, why not try something different too?
>>
>>64257159
> atonally

Now this actually sounds interesting. Care to provide some examples?
>>
>>64257122
But Jack White was popular because he used the blues engagingly. Certainly it was just rehash but it was lively, simple and catchy. Not conceited atonal improv wankery, taking a raw genre and making it tiresomely academic. The audio equivalent of staring at flock wallpaper.
>>
>>64257294
OP here. The pic of Jack White is not really relevant here, because he doesn't really do I-IV-V often, and at least he writes good lyrics.
>>
>>64257159
Also, there's an infinite way to reimagine pretty much any chord progression if you really try.
>>
>>64257454

No. The root notes of the bassline are always going to be the same, which is totally fucking boring. It's predictable and lends itself to a limited number of melodic and harmonic combinations.
>>
>>64257271
Chuck Berry's latest performances are full of atonal guitar solos
http://youtu.be/xxixIbONuCQ
>>
>>64257018
>But what's the point of doing it over the same I-IV-V progression? What's the matter—why not play something different
I don't think you understand what the blues is.
>>
>>64257088
blacks have been doing "my bay left me" since day one
>>
>>64257589
See the title of the post. I'm talking about 12 bar blues only, specifically i-iv-v variation.
>>
>>64257556
Look up Bird Blues changes (as in Charlie Parker)
>>
>>64257585
TFW Prince is dead and Chuck Berry is still alive

Although he barely sings anymore
>>
>>64257088
Yeah because every black man ever has had a harder life than every white man ever
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.