[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who will be music legends 40 years from now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: tio-musician-background.jpg (30 KB, 1366x587) Image search: [Google]
tio-musician-background.jpg
30 KB, 1366x587
Most artists who are considered music legends these days are rockers from 70's and 80's.
Ziggy Stardust, Prince, Elton John, Sting, etc etc.
However, rock is dead now. So who will be people mourning 30-40 years from now? Ed Sheeran? Katy Perry?

I think it proves that music back in the days INDEED used to be better.
>>
>>64255164
Kanye West's death is going to break the internet. Especially if it's an unexpected death like Prince or Bowie
>>
How long do you think rappers will be performing on stage? Can we expect a 70 year old Snoop Dogg trying to coast on albums he made decades ago like the Rolling Stones?
>>
>>64255207
Nope. 15 more years max
He will most likely die from weed overdose before that, tho
>>
>>64255230
Weed: the silent killer
>>
>>64255164
The era of musical mass-culture ended a while ago. Even "high-profile" singers like (for example) Taylor Swift simply aren't as broadly-known or listened to as they would have been in the past.

When there were 3 or 4 major TV channels in most countries, and one of them showed a concert, you'd literally have a large chunk of that country watching it, at the same time.

That doesn't happen anymore.
>>
>>64255317
but anon, Super Bowl halftime. World Cup opening / closing. Olympics.
>>
File: 1459898709401.jpg (70 KB, 720x667) Image search: [Google]
1459898709401.jpg
70 KB, 720x667
>>64255164
> rock is dead
> glossing over the plethora of shitty neo blues and pop rock indie bands with grammys and platinum album sales
> arctic monkeys
> yeah yeah yeahs
> black keys
> alabama shakes
> the killers

You are literally retarded.
>>
>>64255331
The biggest song in the world in 1998 was that Ricky Martin World Cup song. Nobody even remembers that anymore. It was too transient.

I don't even remember who played music at the last Olympics. It could have been anyone.
>>
>>64255177
if he died tomorrow sure. if he dies at 70 not a fucking chance anyone will care.
>>
File: IMAG00231.jpg (803 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG00231.jpg
803 KB, 1520x2688
>>64255317
Oh my god, this whole thread is so retarded it's making me sick...

Are you living under a rock with cotton in your ears? Do you realize how huge the live music industry is right now? Do you realize how much money Madonna, The Foo Fighters and Beyonce have made from touring alone in the past decade, selling out entire stadiums and scores of overpriced merch booths? Do you not realize that people are also still paying for their music? My god, you need to just end it all and do the rest of us a favor by sparing us your moronic existence
>>
>>64255397
>Madonna, The Foo Fighters and Beyonce
but they all suck
>>
>>64255207
Snoop is already like an old man that's out of touch with the world. He can only get worse at this point.
>>
>>64255408
"they all suck" =/= the death of musical mass culture. The pure realities of money and the music industry don't conform to your opinions, they just are.
>>
There are just more people and more bands. YeH the superstardom of a select number of bands is not as concentrated because the internet is a freer platform for artists to gather fans.

More groups, less superstardom. There is still superbowl performer hitmakers but there are more groups that people listen to now.

How is this hard for people to understand itt
>>
>>64255397
Do you realize that countries often have tens of millions of people in them, and that the percentage who see any given musician live is minuscule?

Garth Brooks had a concert in Manhattan with a half-million people in attendance, but his cultural impact on NYC was and remains pretty much nil.

We're talking about the PERCENTAGE OF THE POPULATION which is more than dimly aware of any given musician. Because you need a higher percentage in order to invoke mass-nostalgia upon a musician's death.
>>
>>64255449
I'm not just saying this next thing to be a dick, I'm really asking for a response here: when in history was the percentage of people going to live music events significantly larger than now? And the same goes for this: how do you really define cultural impact? Does the fact that people arguably have a passive consumerist role in modern music really change the fact that they're still part of a culture? And what necessarily proves this is any different from how people participated in the past? There weren't an incredible number of intellectual people in the past that suddenly left music culture behind.
>>
hur hur hur my generation is shit, music is literally dead amirite guise hur hur hur fuck all of you.
>>
>>64255530
I also wonder that considering the fact that musicians by far are making most of their money off touring now.
>>
>>64255530
There was a lot more cultural saturation across demographics when culture was being channeled into a more limited number of venues.

Concert-goers have never been numerous enough on their own to swing "the culture" one way or another; that depends on the saturation of what could be called the "background" population.

That really isn't occurring anymore. When John Lennon was killed, he was easily one of the top 10 global figures in terms of celebrity, let alone musicians.

Now? It's way more dispersed. The level of saturation is a lot lower even for the most famous newer acts.
>>
>>64255563
>mad rockist
lol chill out you neckbeard nigger
>>
>>64255317
I think this guy is on the right track.
>>64255164
Stars create mass audiences. Pop-music from previous decades pretty much created collective atmospheres and experiences (Woodstock). I think this is pretty much proven by lyrics and imagery from the time either focusing on the star (while implicitly creating the collective audience) or the collective experiences (flower people etc.). Those "stars" are way bigger than the ones after the internet-revolution. Nowadays companies try to sell singular experiences so those stars are focusing on way smaller groups.
I can hardly think of any one in pop-music sort of bridging societal cleaves (Kanyes maybe).
Having said this: I think Dr. Dre dying will send massive shock-waves.

PS:
Little Richard is still alive :^)
>>
>>64255595
I generally see where you're going with this, but I don't understand what you're trying to say when you mention things like saturation and background population. I guess I see that there are a lot more artists competing for attention now and a loss of "saturation" has happened, if that's what you mean by it. But here's the thing though: how does this tie back in to musical mass culture being dead? I don't see any reason to call it dead based on the idea that no single artist has the same amount of influence as John Lennon or similar figures. We just live in a different world and people take in and experience music differently. That doesn't make music any less important as a whole at all.
>>
>>64255164
Jack White
>>
>>64255317
Yes. There is simply an inflation of music. Before there were fewer artists and fewer songs.
>>
File: 1461132264677.jpg (124 KB, 640x745) Image search: [Google]
1461132264677.jpg
124 KB, 640x745
>>64255230
>weed overdose
>>
>>64255797
>meme arrows
>>
File: 1460626453708.jpg (39 KB, 350x327) Image search: [Google]
1460626453708.jpg
39 KB, 350x327
>>64255809
>replying to people on a chinese vaseline eating forum
>>
>>64255230
>implying it's possible to overdose on weed
>>
the era of american megastars is over

but if you go to india, or china, or brazil, they still have idols

what does that tell you?
>>
>>64255164
Adele
>>
>>64256534
Literally who?
>>
dont die on me now
>>
>>64255164
I have no fucking idea if you mean on a mass scale like that.

But talking of a community like ours on /mu/, i bet the dudes who started and furthered scenes online will be remembered the way we remember artists now. They might look back on Toro Y Moi, Vektroid, Mac Demarco for example, the way we look back on Can, Kraftwerk, Talk Talk.

(fyi i'm not comparing them in terms of quality so don't bitch at me for that. i'm just comparing them)
>>
File: 1390372788793.jpg (81 KB, 663x800) Image search: [Google]
1390372788793.jpg
81 KB, 663x800
>>64256461
brazil still idolizes american stars

look up any live concert for any huge american band in the past five years in brazil, shit is always sold out no matter what, people camping out, etc.

ex. lollapalooza sao paulo
>>
>>64256614
Highest grossing British female artist to date.
>>
>>64255347
>> arctic monkeys
>> yeah yeah yeahs
>> black keys
>> alabama shakes
>> the killers

All utter shite, am I being trolled?
>>
>>64256968
it doesn't matter if theyre shit you dumb fuck
they're still making sales and selling out arenas in many places around the world
>>
>>64256932
rock in rio is massive too
>>
As for English speaking countries, I think music (all music, not just "pop" music) has lost a great deal of its cultural importance over the past decade.

For modern young people, it seems to exist now primarily as background noise while they click like buttons on facebook or swipe at their smartphone screens.

Music, sadly, has become a total disposable commodity. And this is evidenced by how producers and record companies are in a literal arms race to out "earworm" each other in order to capture the listeners' attention.

You just don't see kids connecting with music and their favorite artists like they once did.
>>
>>64256968
in the 80s plenty of people thought madonna and mj were shite

it's just a matter of perspective
>>
death grips
>>
The Based God himself Lil B
>>
>>64256614
genuinely talented and popular singer from the UK
>>
>>64257311
Maybe Zach, ain't no way Stefan is gonna live another 30 years.
>>
>>64255408
They all suck to you, not to everyone. Music is subjective. Checkmate.
>>
Viper will be on his 800th album by then so probably him
>>
>>64255177
>bowie
>unexpected
he was like 69 and did a lot of drugs, what did you expect? Him to live to be 100?
>>
>>64255164
>So who will be people mourning 30-40 years from now?
The way millennials are going it'll probably be some selfie-taking hashtag activist DJ that will crush their tender little hearts.
>>
File: baby boomers and millenials.png (38 KB, 798x406) Image search: [Google]
baby boomers and millenials.png
38 KB, 798x406
>>64259741

yeah man millenials suck they're so lazy amirite
>>
>>64257178
>You just don't see kids connecting with music and their favorite artists like they once did.
I teach high school and you couldn't be more wrong.
>>
this
>>
>>64259807
Guess what snowflake? Every generation ever feels screwed over by the previous one. None of those concerns are any different than the hippies crying about their lot in life or Gen Xers raised in a world with the threat of fucking thermonuclear war. Instead of demanding free stuff and entitlement just for being born do something about it.
>>
Weezer
>>
Thom Yorke and Beck definitely. Maybe Chris Martin and Julian Casablancas as well? Probably someone like Billy Joe Armstrong where everyone in our generation grew up on his music even if no one really cares about Green Day any more
>>
>>64261848
>>64262134
Literally who are all these people?
>>
>>64262297
ask me again in 40 years tbhfam :^)
>>
>>64262297
Hello, newfriend!
>>
>>64262297
you know it's a good idea to actually listen to some music before you browse /mu/
>>
avey tare and panda bear
i seriously think anco will be the band dads will annoy their kids about twenty years from now

>ever want to hear some REAL tunes, boy?
>starts slapping knee in time to comfy in nautica

i will be that dad tbqh
>>
Mike Mitchell
That 12 year old jazz piano prodigy
Mason Guidry
Thomas Pridgen
A lot of black musicians
>>
>>64256968
In what part of that post did I say they weren't utter shit? Beyond that, what are you even trying to do?
>>
>>64262741
>>64262686
All literally whos
>>
File: 1449215661380.jpg (33 KB, 498x381) Image search: [Google]
1449215661380.jpg
33 KB, 498x381
>>64262419
> responding seriously to an obvious troll

That would be you actually :^)
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.