[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>How do I really learn to play guitar? I own an acoustic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: guitar].jpg (5 KB, 224x224) Image search: [Google]
guitar].jpg
5 KB, 224x224
>How do I really learn to play guitar?

I own an acoustic guitar since 2011 but until now I dont really think I REALLY know how the damn thing works. I feel I am only memorizing notes and chords someone else wrote. I want to be able to just sit down with a guitar in my lap and jam away all night. How do I do that? Do I have to learn theory or something? Scales?
>>
>>64240539
learn a lot of chords and notes and then some scales too, all the while writing your own shitty songs, over time you will get better and be able to do more, and though you'll never feel like you're good enough, you will be able to entertain yourself all night and make cool shit
>>
>>64240539
>>64240677
this process takes a while so just play songs you like and enjoy yourself
>>
>>64240677
which scales do I have to learn?
>>
>>64240539
Yes start learning theory and the work towards learning/soloing on some jazz standards. If you can play jazz you can jam with anybody.
>>
>>64240539
You have to play it. A lot. You have to play it until you have developed a relationship to it such that you can make the sounds in your head come out in real time. You do that by training your ears and learning to associate what you are doing with your fingers with the sound in your head. You can do it any number of ways, but mainly you just have to actually play the thing, like all the time, for a long time. I've been playing consistently at least 1.5hr a day average for like 8 or 9 years and I'm only just getting to the point where I think I'm legitimately good
>>
File: scales.png (14 KB, 345x321) Image search: [Google]
scales.png
14 KB, 345x321
>>64240728
it will help get ya good but if its not your thing it'll burn you out too
>>64240709
here's some basic ones, what i recommend is playing along with music and trying to find the scale by ear, then improving with it
>>
>>64240539
if you have good ear, it will come eventually.
keep your guitar in tune, you new guys always fuck that up. use a tuner. google chords to favorite songs, then the tab. practice practice practice.
>>
Before you even pick up the guitar, you have to know what you're going to do mentally.

Basic theory is pretty much necessary. What I would start with is the major scale. You can look up really easy major scale melodies (like the Battle of Aughrim or O Suzanna) and play around with those, and maybe figure out different familiar melodies along the way to solidify your knowledge of the scale.

Chords are really essential, so you're going to have to know which chords in a major scale are major, minor, and diminished, then figure out the fingering for them on the fretboard, but start with open position chords first (like your standard D and G major) and work up to barre chords.

From here, you can build up your repertoire learning songs with basic maj/min chords. From this, your technique will start to shape up.

You don't even have to go further from here, but I'd learn minor pentatonic shapes because it's a staple scale in almost any kind of guitar music.
>>
>>64240539
Practice, practice, practice. And remember: It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I'm Michael Angelo Batio and this is Speed Kills 923745865.
>>
practice playing guitar instead of making threads about playing guitar.
>>
One thing people overlook is you can learn songs from other instruments and play it on guitar. Even if you can't play them right what matters is you make your own interpretation. Most people just learn from a couple guitar players and don't do anything interesting with their playing.
>>
>>64240539
>listen to music
>find a song you like
>look up the tablature for the song
>see if its too hard
>if it is, see 2nd line of post
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.