[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens when all of the icons die?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: kentridge-complainta.jpg (23 KB, 376x279) Image search: [Google]
kentridge-complainta.jpg
23 KB, 376x279
Let's be real; for whatever reason, the popstars of the recording industry of the last sixty years hold more cultural sustenance than anyone from this century.

This is not a thread for debating that fact.

People will not mourn Kendrick and Kanye the same way they will Bowie and Prince. Attribute it to marketing in the pre-Internet age or the schizophrenic accessibility of music and its commodification thereof, it was a different thing when there wasn't an option to look up a stream for an artists album and come to an online forum to take the piss out of it.

What I wanna know is, what is this leading us toward? Will there just be no more icons in the future of music? Is the age of rockstar or popstar coming to an end?
>>
File: mj_2.jpg (567 KB, 800x772) Image search: [Google]
mj_2.jpg
567 KB, 800x772
Music definitely seems less exciting these days
>>
The internet has made people more fragmented and diversified. Resulting in more niche artists and fewer mass appeal stars.
>>
>>64237130
This is how it should be though.
>>
File: 4df1597a4d9a635502e01425e8e.jpg (105 KB, 590x600) Image search: [Google]
4df1597a4d9a635502e01425e8e.jpg
105 KB, 590x600
It's the Internet.

Just ponder for a second how something like a "flavor of the week album" can even exist in the modern age.

It's the timeline psychology of temporal preoccupation and ephemera leading you into the next distraction and so on into infinity.

Music is literally dying right before us.
>>
>>64237130
This
>>
> Is the age of rockstar or popstar coming to an end?
yeah
music industry is dead
rap is the new rock but rap will die soon enough and the stars are all pretty much the same with nothing unique about them
>>
>>64237130
my cock has mass appeal
>>
Only kpop will be left.
>>
>>64237130
Popular music has more mass appeal than ever you retard what are you talking about?
>>
>>64237045
>People will not mourn Kendrick and Kanye the same way they will Bowie and Prince.
They most certainly will. By the time Kendrick and Kanye die they will be seen as the "old legends" of a musical era that we think Bowie and Prince are now. That's just the way things go and if you think we can't ever have stars that big again you're forgetting how nostalgia blinds and exaggerates.
>>
File: bowie.jpg (91 KB, 591x784) Image search: [Google]
bowie.jpg
91 KB, 591x784
>>64237158
RIP music
>>
File: IMG_20160223_153536.jpg (40 KB, 521x270) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160223_153536.jpg
40 KB, 521x270
>>64237349
>they will be seen as "old legends"
Like hell they will.

They'll be lucky if they're still relevant in another five years. The Internet makes it so simple for their spotlight to be stolen by someone younger and more talented.

Nobody has any sustaining legacy anymore.
>>
>>64237516
That's just not true. Yes, we have more artists to listen to nowadays (which is a good thing) but the internet gives artists a broader audience and there will always be a consensus among people that some artists are simply ranked "one of the greatest alive," and they WILL be celebrated until their death. If you think ALL of today's big artists will simply be forgotten, you're simply being naive.
>>
>>64237651
Found the stupid Kanye/Drake poster.
>>
>>64237794
I like neither of those artists' music. I'm just being realistic.
>>
>>64237651
/r/hhh, it's time to go home.
>>
>>64237045
Post more kentridge.
>>
>>64237835
>/mu/ as always assuming someone must listen to the "memerap" they so hate as soon as they make a point about /mu/'s arrogance claiming music is dead
never change
>>
>>64237045
Just because you won't mourn Kendrick and Kanye when we're older doesn't mean others won't, including myself.

People who didn't like Prince and Bowie when they were coming up didn't mourn them when they died either. This shit ain't rocket science.

The only thing that changes in music is trends and distribution formats.
>>
>>64237045
>People will not mourn Kendrick and Kanye the same way

yes they will

there are less 'stars' in general but those two will definitely be mourned
>>
>>64237349
>>64238232
>>64238130
Kendrick and Kanye's deaths went unnoticed as billions more perished in devastating 2024 nuclear war between Eurasia and the Trump (tm) Federation
>>
>>64238503
The Trump™ Company
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.