[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best Pink Floyd album, /mu/? Why is pic related and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: 743c90c1[1].jpg (116 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
743c90c1[1].jpg
116 KB, 800x800
What is the best Pink Floyd album, /mu/? Why is pic related and The Wall largely considered the best? Are they right?
>>
>>64220796
No
>>
DSOTM, WYWH and Animals are largely considered the best.

The Wall is considered the best by people who either heard it as their first PF album, people who are under the age of 16 or Roger Waters himself.
>>
File: Front.jpg (412 KB, 1413x1407) Image search: [Google]
Front.jpg
412 KB, 1413x1407
pic related, the live half of Ummagumma, and Piper are their most interesting

DSotM and WYWH have insane production values and are both pretty good albums even if they are overrated, but the early albums are far more experimental and interesting.

The Wall flat out sucks.
>>
>What is the best Pink Floyd album, /mu/?
Probably Wish You Were Here or Piper depends on what you're into
>Why is pic related and The Wall largely considered the best?
Because they're the most popular
>Are they right?
Probably not
>>
Animals is their best album, then Wish You Were Here, then Piper, then Dark Side. DSOTM is too inconsistent for me, I think it's got these fucking immensely magical and atmospheric moments but I think the songwriting is almost indisputably not as good as some of their other albums. Though depending on the mood, if I'm looking to chill out and vibe then DSOTM is pretty much one of the best fucking things a rock band has ever done.
>>
Hipsters will try to tell you DSOTM isn't their best album, when it clearly is. They are just burnt out on it.

The Wall is an achievement, but I don't think anybody believes it's even top 3.

General consensus is either Animals, WYWH and DSOTM for their best album

I don't feel comfortable putting Piper in to compare, to me it's the number one in ways but it's a different band
>>
>>64220796

Obscured by Clouds and Meddle were great, Wish You Were Here was pretty good.

Dark Side of the Moon is decent.
>>
>>64220796
>Why is pic related and The Wall largely considered the best?
Because people disagree about if they are the best PF albums or not, but just about nobody denies that they are both "good". They have some sort of universal appeal.
>>
>>64220839
Or Roger Waters' parents.
>>
You just don't get how deep The Wall is. It's like, there's this wall around him, and the wall symbolizes a wall.
>>
>>64220839
DSotM was my first PF album, I'm 25, not related to Roger Waters at all.

I still think The Wall is much much better than Animals and Wish You Were Here.
>>
>>64220850
Mostly this, but I wouldn't say either era is much better or worse than another, meddle through to animals is utterly brilliant and is better than most bands entire careers.
>>
>>64222003
the wall is a wall... but its in his MIND
pretty hella deep
>>
>>64222109
>>64222003
You people suck
>>
Brain Damage is my favorite song.
>>
Personally Imma have to agree with the popular opinion and say that DSOTM is probably their best
>>
>>64222003
damn...
>>
File: 1441596745718.jpg (74 KB, 357x357) Image search: [Google]
1441596745718.jpg
74 KB, 357x357
>>64220796
Here are my two cents on Pink Floyd:

My favorite albums by them would have to be
>The Final Cut
>The Wall
>Animals
Not to say their other albums were bad, but these three albums encompass the glory of Waters-led Pink Floyd, which I think is their best period, both in terms of quality and sales.

The Wall represents their edgy genius, The Final Cut is softer and personal, and Animals is experimental without sounding like shit prog. WYWH is the worst Waters-led album because of the fucking synths or what have you - they are more annoying than intriguing. You feel?

As for why are DSOTM and The Wall considered their best? Dark Side of the Moon was the first album that captured the "Floyd" sound and was what got their foot through the door of fame. It's also pretty damn good, especially with that killer ending Brain Damage/Eclipse.

The Wall is their most unique album because it's theatrical as fuck, like 7 different hit songs, and has a compelling and relatable story, It was Roger's all-in before he got tired of working with the band, but, desu, he was the powerhouse of the group. Compare Division Bell or any Gilmour solo album with any Waters' solo album - it's easy to see who had quality.

That's all I have to say about that.
>>
>>64222109

THIS! You know, imo, when they say "no matter how he tries he could not break free" i think that HE is actually him!
>>
>>64222243
Roger pls go
>>
1) Meddle
2) Obscured by Clouds
3) Atom Heart Mother
4) The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
5) The Dark Side of the Moon
6) Animals
7) A Saucerful of Secrets
8) Ummagumma
9) The Wall
10) More

left over songs not good enough to make The Wall
11) The Final Cut

Just shit not even Pink Floyd & no founding members of the band (Mason don't count, just a fuckin drummer)
12) A Momentary Lapse of Reason
13) The Division Bell
14) The Endless River
>>
>>64221476
Obscured by clouds is ridiculously underrated. Especially with Wots uh... the deal. However, I wouldn’t put it that close to number 1. It's a testament to Pink Floyd's greatness that it's down a little farther. Many bands have albums with only 2-4 good songs on them but Flyd had albums where the every song was great.
>>
>>64222014
Why do you consider The Wall to be over Animals and WYWH? Honestly just wondering. For me WYWH is their greatest because of the emotions it evokes, but I understand that people don't have the same experience as me.
>>
>>64220796
Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is the best, by far.
>>
>>64223111
For me The Wall evokes a stronger emotion than any of their other albums, and the songs flow together nicely. They aren't just stand alones.

I think it's become a very satisfying meme to hate Waters, and this causes people to think The Wall is worse than it really is.
>>
Realizing how lame The Wall is is one of the things that made me stop being a le wrong generationer
>>
tie between Wish you were Here and Live in Pompeii
>>
Animals and Piper are my favorites. DSOTM is not best because Money. The Wall is fine just to much songs.
>>
>>64223200
Get out Roger your albums are shit
>>
I must be the only one who thinks Division Bell and ER were decent
>>
>>64221980
Hah. I get it
>>
>>64223420
Quit trollin mang
>>
>>64223200
Roger Waters is a lyrical genius. He was the life of the band after Syd left.i wish they would have kept working together. Although his solo work is respectable, it doesn't have the magic like when the four of them are together.
>>
>>64222834
Gilmour pls go
>>
Live at Pompeii (it has Echoes, dude)and the live side of Ummagumma
yeah, they fucking rock live
>>
>>64223495
>EVERYTHING I NO LIKE IS LE TROLE ECKS DEE

Hey there reddit

>>64224731
Rick pls go
>>
>>64223111

Feel the same way as this poster, and didn't feel like re-upping the image.

Wish You Were Here, to me, is not only the greatest Pink Floyd album, from an auditory and compositional perspective, but damn near the greatest albums of all time.
>>
>>64224792
Pink Floyd had such a great run from Piper to TFC. Although some of their albums fell a little short, they're still amazing to listen to. It speaks volumes of them that their lesser albums still have amazing parts to them.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.