[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /mu/'s opinion on Steven Wilson? Personally I like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: steven-wilson-2013.jpg (37 KB, 1000x400) Image search: [Google]
steven-wilson-2013.jpg
37 KB, 1000x400
What is /mu/'s opinion on Steven Wilson?

Personally I like early PT, and his solo stuff is also pretty good. Saw him live once and he played Space Oddity, the whole theatre was crying
>>
>>64219148
He's pretty, seems a nice enough guy, knows a lot about classic prog, but nothing I heard of him made me want to listen to more.
>>
>>64219148
I really enjoy the psychedelic and pop-crossover era of PT. The prog metal influenced stuff isn't bad but I don't listen to it very often.

Steven Wilson's entire discography is basically all pop-crossover so I enjoy his stuff too.
>>
porcupine trees later stuff is pretty good

stupid dream is my favorite album by them
>>
>>64219148
I want to enjoy him, all I've heard has been Storm Corrosion, bits of Raven and The Incident but nothing I've heard from him makes me understand the love for this guy. He was probably the least interesting part of Storm Corrosion, and that was just kind of above average.

>>64219200
Pretty much this.
>>
>>64219279
Have you listened anything from Porcupine Tree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5nAA_QXBPY
>>
Seen him live five times. Pretty good. I think the fact that he delivers everything from massive prog stuff to straight pop songs without making it weird is what makes him so good.
>>
File: Petey2.jpg (54 KB, 391x480) Image search: [Google]
Petey2.jpg
54 KB, 391x480
As general rule I like think the closer Steven Wilson gets to pop, the better he gets. I actually don't like some of his more dedicated progressive rock work, as most of it is just extended, lesser versions of his pop material. The more pop he gets, the better the "progressive" parts of his music shine IMO. Steven Wilson simply has a ear for good pop music, not just melodies, hooks, and accompaniment, but the general structure as well and uses this to create top-dollar progressive-pop. Him playing traditional progressive rock is wasting his talents IMO and that's why I really don't like his solo material so far

Stupid Dream to Deadwing is a great streak though. One of the best of the 2000s.
>>
He's alright. I'd rate shit like In Absentia relatively highly but at the same time I think he can be very derivative despite delivering hard-hitting progressive rock songs.

If you're really into classic prog he's essentially carrying the torch and that has its place, but I find more pleasure in other prog bands if prog is what I'm looking for. His singing is pretty boring.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.