[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All they had to do was get rid of the world influence to go from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10
File: image.png (139 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.png
139 KB, 300x300
All they had to do was get rid of the world influence to go from annoying Indie graceland, to gorgeous baroque. What are your thoughts /mu/.
>>
>implying s/t isn't their best album
>>
>>64217512
I just couldn't get into their world influence, A-punk is a great track though
>>
File: avrillll.jpg (328 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
avrillll.jpg
328 KB, 1600x900
This album has some OK songs. Ultimately inconsequential when compared though. I like the jaded lyrics of "Obvious Bicycle" and "Diane Young" is pretty fun sans the inexplicable decision to add pitch-shifting. Everything else is either OK, but lacks anything to warrant repeated listens (Step, Don't Lie) Unbelievers, Hannah Hunt, Ya Hey, Young Lion), or straight up bad (Worship You, Everlasting Arms, Hudson, Finger back)
>>
you know its a good album

don't ask for /mu/'s opinion stupid

with that said, great album
>>
>>64217407
Contra is their best album.
>>
>>64217407
forgettable
>>
>>64217407
all they had to do was get rid of the world influence to go from Paul Simon But Good to bland uninteresting pop rock
>>
>>64217666
Poor taste. I can't imagine what kind of people don't like any of the songs Vampire Weekend has released. Their live shows suck now, but they've never released a bad song.
>>
god I really hate the term world music
>>
>>64217407
This is, in my opinion, their best album. It's got the most fully developed songs I've ever heard them put out. I think it's the only VW album that actually shows any genuine emotion whatsoever, instead of just a bunch of generic, fun indie pop songs. The lyrics have definitely improved when compared to some of the songs from Contra or the debut.

Come to think of it, Vampire Weekend seem to be improving steadily over time. Their debut was just OK; nothing really stuck out to me. Contra was more enjoyable, but still forgettable, but this album is the only one so far that I don't really have any major complaints about. I just hope they don't get stuck in a loop, producing Modern Vampires over and over, thinking that will work.
>>
>>64217797
David Bryne is that you?
>>
>>64217666
>Hannah Hunt
>not perfect

that song alone turned me around on the band after not caring much for the first two records
>>
File: Pete Wentz.jpg (52 KB, 980x490) Image search: [Google]
Pete Wentz.jpg
52 KB, 980x490
>>64217767
>Poor taste. I can't imagine what kind of people don't like any of the songs Vampire Weekend has released.

It's not that hard to imagine. Vampire Weekend make quirky indie pop containing and diluting a bunch of influences to conform to a semi-mainstream audience. Whether you like that concept or not is a good indicator on whether you like the band or not. They're a divisive band by design.

Personally, I don't like them because while they're quirky and novel relative to a mainstream setting, they're not quirky or novel enough to make up for their clear deficiencies. I like novel ideas in a mainstream setting but need to be fully-fledged one and Vampire Weekend simply don't offer that, not usually at least.
>>
>>64217660
Their world music influences were literally the only interesting thing about VW. If Contra and MVotC had come out first nobody would have ever given a shit about them.
>>
>>64217819
>contra is generic
>contra is forgettable
>>
File: petewentz_031615.jpg (135 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
petewentz_031615.jpg
135 KB, 640x360
>>64218001
but they need to be fully-fledged ones*

mb anonfriends
>>
Contra>Self titled>MVOTC
>>
Ezra actually wanted to be a "serious" rapper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxvKuEWeVg8
>>
>>64218127
Contra might not be generic; I retract that. But it is pretty forgettable, especially in contrast with Modern Vampires.
>>
I remember when MVOTC came out they said that it was the kind of music they had always wanted to make but had been too inexperienced to.

How does that happen? How can a band start off making beautiful, complex world-inspired rhythms and then "progress" to slow, generic garbage indie ballads?
>>
File: PWentz.jpg (93 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
PWentz.jpg
93 KB, 1200x800
>>64217993
I like the beginning where the samples and bass lead to the main piano riff and the end where Ezra shows off his vocals but sans that, the song is just OK. Serviceable lyrics, serviceable melodies, serviceable climax. Would love it relative to what's playing on alt radio nowadays but it's a bit too slow, cutesy, and sparse for my taste. Traits that I find often don't mix well together

More power to you though.
>>
File: self destruct.gif (264 KB, 148x111) Image search: [Google]
self destruct.gif
264 KB, 148x111
>>64218402
>"serious" rapper
>it's literally a song about pizza
>>
>>64217407
>>64217660
>>64218044
>world music
Is this really a term that still has meaning to people?
>>
>>64218540
I feel this. Ottoman and Giant seem too specific for an unprepared band to make.
>>
>>64217819
>contra doesn't show any genuine emotion whatsoever
>>
File: 1455594341537.jpg (11 KB, 250x236) Image search: [Google]
1455594341537.jpg
11 KB, 250x236
>>64218541
Not him but fuck of you disgusting tranny you have terrible taste

>IF I CAN TRUST YOU THEN DAMMIT HANNAH
>>
>>64218734
That isn't your average everyday plebian, this is... advanced plebian.
>>
>>64218541
>servicable lyrics

you just have plain bad taste. not really anything more to it..
>>
MVOTC: 90
Contra: 88
S/T: 80

Really excited for Mitsubishi Machiatto, given their increase in quality it may be their best yet
>>
File: Pete-Wentz2.jpg (47 KB, 550x468) Image search: [Google]
Pete-Wentz2.jpg
47 KB, 550x468
>>64218787
>>64218758

Them educate me anonfriends. How are these lyrics exactly any different from any common "broken relationship" song? It might tell a little story and a couple of lines are clever but it's nothing particularly special. Unless you want to tell me that young love and people growing apart are somehow new concepts
>>
>>64219046
It's not about the lyrics it's about the music. The drums, piano and ezras voice kicking in at the 2:40 mark in Hannah Hunt is a 10/10 music moment if you don't feel that you have shit taste
>>
>>64219225
Why are you entertaining that knob?
>>
>>64219225
if you're the first anon, my response was more directed towards the second one.

And I said I liked Ezra's voice in the second half. Not enough to put it up anymore than a 6/10, but heartfelt.

The drums and piano serve their purpose but it's not anything more than accompaniment IMO. If you push me I'll say it works well as a climax but still nothing more than OK chamber pop. Nothing that Lambchop or Jens Lekman (maybe a little too twee but I sort of see a parallel) didn't do better.

>>64219377
I'd also like to know this. I mean, I'm more than willing to get into a discussion if you're willing but you know I love this right?

I mean, more power to you if you think this song is a 10/10 but you're not going to get any leverage by saying I have "shit taste" with little to no warrant.
>>
>>64217693
oh look, we have a contrarian

you guys will have to imagine the carlos pic i don't have one
>>
>>64219046

The lyrics are an almost direct reference to the Biblical story of Hannah in the Bible, her 'hunt' for a child (who'd end up being Samuel), and how said 'hunt' damaged her relationship with her husband. No word in the song goes wasted. Providence is a religious allusion to something familiar and safe, Phoenix is a new life that rises up from the ashes of something old and worn. The narrator describes the couple travelling on a road trip from Providence to Phoenix. In the end, when Hannah is described as having torn the New York Times up into pieces, he is referring to the TIMES they had together on the East Coast.

>Though we live on the US dollar, you and me got our own sense of time

This line means that though they live in America, where a certain path through life is expected of them, they choose rather to live it the way they want, at their own pace.

The lyrics on Hannah Hunt—and the entire album—are much more complex than your plebian mind could ever fathom.
>>
File: Pete-banana.png (413 KB, 371x464) Image search: [Google]
Pete-banana.png
413 KB, 371x464
>>64222031
So it's as I said? Some decent metaphors and lines that's still over ultimately standard subject matter? This "analysis" lifted straight from Genius is just supporting my point that Hannah Hunt just has serviceable lyrics.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.