[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I seriously don't get the hype about her. What makes her
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 15
File: F99_FEATURE_GRIEME_14_qdwccs.jpg (613 KB, 1440x1835) Image search: [Google]
F99_FEATURE_GRIEME_14_qdwccs.jpg
613 KB, 1440x1835
I seriously don't get the hype about her. What makes her so special? I went in unbiased, and expecting some good music, but all I got was repeatative, and pretty plain, average songs.

Geidi Primes was boring. I actually fell asleep many times. Halfaxa was better but didn't do much interesting. Visions probably the better out of her albums, and "unqiue" was really repetative, and went on and on where it got dull, and boring. Some interesting songs but not enough to go back to. Art Angels is god awful I am shocked how people even like that.

Again, what is so special?
>>
NO ONE COMMENT ON THIS THREAD
>>
Maybe cause she crap. Its all waifu fags making it seem lile she is the second coming of jesus when really, she is pretty average.
>>
>>64212455
Ok
>>
>>64212455
Ok
>>
Shes a goddamn monkey XD
>>
>>64212455
Ok
>>
>>64212455
Ok
>>
File: image244.jpg (9 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
image244.jpg
9 KB, 194x259
I seriously don't get the hype about him. What makes him so special? I went in unbiased, and expecting some good music reviews, but all I got was repeatative, and pretty plain, average articles.

The Dean Blunt review was boring. I actually fell asleep many times reading it. The live reviews were better but didn't do much interesting. The editorials and special features were probably the better out of what his blog has to offer, and "unqiue" was really repetative, and went on and on where it got dull, and boring. Some interesting articles and reviews but not enough to go back to. The mp3 blog posts are god awful I am shocked how people even like them.

>>
Indiefags need an indie "princess". Also the "progressive" music media want new female heroines. So they all paint Grimes amazing for being female, playing "indie" music and having some degree of talent. All while Grimes herself criticizes Pitchfork and Rolling Stones for making her what she's not.
>>
I seriously don't get the hype about him. What makes him so special? I went in unbiased, and expecting some good music reviews, but all I got was repeatative, and pretty plain, average music reviews.

The Kendrick Lamar review was boring. I actually fell asleep many times reading it. The Kid Cudi review was better but didn't do much interesting. The Miley Cyrus review was probably the better out of what his videos has to offer, and "unqiue" was really repetative, and went on and on where it got dull, and boring. Some interesting points and reviews but not enough to go back to. The Animal Collective review was god awful I am shocked how people even like it.

>>
She is a meme.
>>
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03rl182
>>
>>64212593
Grimes is talented for real.
>>
>>64212784
Not him but then why is it that her music bores people to death when its claimed to be unique, and different.
>>
>>64212825
>bores SOME people to death
fify

Music is subjective. Period.
>>
>>64212784

Detected possible sarcasm: 83%

This is SarcasmBot a bot created to look for sarcasm in imageboards. It uses BerkleyDB and PrescottWords to analyze the syntaxis of every sentence in random posts (Limited computation in our workstation).

Important: SarcasmBot is still in development, if you find a bug please report it to [email protected]
>>
>>64212847
Your sarcasm bot is crap. The comment was 100% genuine.
>>
>>64212846
Still begs the question why people say she is unique when most of her stuff comes off as basic, or just average.
>>
Her voice is annoying and fucking terrible.
>>
File: 1459390287095.jpg (37 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1459390287095.jpg
37 KB, 633x758
>>64212916
True.
>mfw listening to her voice on Kill V. Maim
>>
>>64212890
Well, actually her stuff isn't basic, or just average. People have short attention span and want instant gratification. Just listen to Symphonia IX and see how layered and beautiful a song could be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsbiyvpel54

Ever heard something like that?
>>
>>64212916
Not for me. There must be something wrong with you.
>>
>>64212973
It just sounds like her attempting to be Animal Collective/Panda Bear except she doesn't do anything interesting with it. An okay attempt though.
>>64212998
Nah, her voice isn't good.
>>
>>64213080
Check out these ones too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSpyCL8pZ3Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb_0LzBv894

These are not ordinary. Are there artists that did something even remotely similar to these tunes?
>>
>>64212784
I didn't say she wasn't talented. I said "she has some degree of talent".

I fully agree with OP's ratings for albums. I got into Grimes after Visions. On first listen I wasn't that impressed with the album and thought it was just some electronic indie much like Purity Ring's debut which came out at about the same time. But then I listened to it again and again, and I liked it dark/alien atmosphere and melodies.

Then I listened to Geidi Primes, and though it was pretty weird and unorthodox but it was too underproduced/underdeveloped and overall half-assed—ok for a collection of demos, not ok for songs. It sounded like excerpts from jams.

And when Art Angels came out, it felt like underproduced Ableton jams again. It was extremely underwhelming—I though Grimes grew out of her demo-like songs, but apparently never did.

And here's a thought for you. Back in 2012 I kinda liked and cared about Visions. Then I read this article about some 2012 festival Grimes took part in. Everyone said she could barely play and put on good show. And now it's 2016 and it's the same story again. It's sad but she is just too lazy to be a real professional musician.

People have a huge bias for her because of her Tumblr queen status. Obviously, more right-wing, "redpilled" individuals hate her, and more left-wing leaning people praise her. When in reality, there's too little substance in her to really care about her.
>>
>>64212593
This is spot-on.

>>64212784
This is 'you-pissed-on-the-floor-not-in-the-toilet' off-the-mark.
>>
>>64213210
>And when Art Angels came out, it felt like underproduced Ableton jams again. It was extremely underwhelming—I though Grimes grew out of her demo-like songs, but apparently never did.
The thing is that many (including me) liked Art Angels for real. I'd say it depends on your music taste. If you don't like pop, weak chances to enjoy Art Angels.
>>
>>64213234
And this is shitting yourself.
>>
>>64212420
Omg vagina makes music!
>>
She has very creative videos, and although they're creative they're just not that interesting
>>
>>64212973
>>64213262

The thing is, Grimes almost completely forgot about layering—the thing I liked the most in Visions and Halfaxa—on Art Angels. I won't lie—I simply love the production on Visions, but I was baffled but Art Angels. Grimes took one great, unique aspect of her work and forgot it. What new was in Art Angels definitely wasn't unique at all.
>>
>>64213151
Can't say I have heard songs similar. Those were a bit better
>>
>>64213151
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSpyCL8pZ3Y
Honestly made me think of below, but not as enjoyable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS8xikn17Ko
>>
>>64213210
>People have a huge bias for her because of her Tumblr queen status. Obviously, more right-wing, "redpilled" individuals hate her, and more left-wing leaning people praise her. When in reality, there's too little substance in her to really care about her.
This is completely wrong. Many don't give a fuck about Tumblr and all that subculture. People liked her because they liked her. It may sound lame, but it's true.

You're guilty of the old fallacy, "I don't like her music, I'm right, everyone else is wrong". She did her own music and it's up to you how much do you like it. If it resonates with you, fine, if not, fine again. She can't please everyone with her music.
>>
>>64213308
Grimes wanted to make something different to Visions. AA has plenty of layering. Just listen to the instrumental versions of AA songs. Lots of little details and layers of sounds. The vocals being more in foreground make them harder to notice.
>>
>>64213262
Except here is the thing. Grimes is still an amateur. Visions while a good album, is produced not well, and Art Angel's is produced poorly and underwhelmed whereas Carly Rae Jepsen isn't doing anything unique or revolutionary had a great album that was produced very well. If Grimes had actual producers then maybe she would have better music.
>>
>>64212420
Fully agree with you OP
>>
>>64212420

Are you trollin? Art Angels is much poppier and accessible than her other stuff, honestly. It's a fantastic album.
>>
get better taste
>>
>>64213486
You first
>>
>>64213262
I don't know where you people are coming from. I love good pop. I don't care if it's Dirty Projectors, or The Clientele, or some new Katy Perry single. I can enjoy them what they are.

But Art Angels felt very half baked, it lost all unique New Age/IDM-inspired sound and substituted it with average radio sound. Where Visions had layers upon layers of echoes and a dark, alien atmosphere, Art Angels had the most average radio synths, club beats and boring pop production. I don't call it a sellout, but Art Angels simply lost the stuff I liked most about Grimes. What was left was: Grimes' voice, her style of songwriting (now more club/dance oriented though), all without great production to hide their faults (Grimes' voice isn't terribly strong, really). So why would I like it? I have no reasons to re-listen to Art Angels at all. I'd rather go back to Visions.
>>
>>64213423
Emotion may be produced better than Art Angels, but it lacks the personality of the latter. Some may prefer the raw, less produced electronic music. And actually Art Angels is produced very well even if it's not squeaky-clean. The synths, drum machines, vocals they all sound crystal clear and there are loads of details. Listen to Kill V. Maim instrumental as a proof: http://picosong.com/KFpk
>>
>>64213486
Snuggly
>>
>>64213262
>>64213542
Forgot to add: the melodies are actually good. They're on Visions level—not worse, at least. However, Grimes' inability to produce an album and her embrace of radio sound wasted all their potential. She hid away her strong points and displayed her most boring ones.
>>
>>64213562
Art Angels would have been better if it had nice clean production though. Vision, maybe if it were a bit tighter but probably not
>>
>>64213542
Art Angels is a different side of her style. It's more aggressive and dancier. It reminds me of The Prodigy a bit.

>and substituted it with average radio sound
Except that nothing on the radio sounds like Art Angels. More accessible =/= worse.

>I have no reasons to re-listen to Art Angels at all.
It could grow on you if you properly listen to it. It's catchy as fuck.
>>
>>64213616
It was produced entirely by her. She never let anyone to mess with her production. I love her productions tbch.
>>
>>64213486
>thinking your waifu means you have good taste

Look m8, I also think Grimes is pretty cute. But I like to keep my cute girls folder apart from my music folder. That's all
>>
File: 1456873507704.jpg (221 KB, 1280x974) Image search: [Google]
1456873507704.jpg
221 KB, 1280x974
>>64213608
>>64213616
why do you think the production is so bad? sounds great to me, better than on visions
>>
>>64213484
It's fantastic how you can get away with such amateur production and still get praised for it
>>
>>64213636
>It was produced entirely by her
Oh I know and it shows. I am just stating she needs some one to help clean it up. A professional. No matter how good she is, her amateur production will always show in her work.
>>
>>64213151
New Age. IDM.

https://youtu.be/BvsfGhEqnXE
>>
>>64213644
She is an amateur. Visions was fine with the given atmosphere, and theme behind it, but Art Angels plays like a pop album and sounds like an amateur, and under produced product.
>>
>>64213542
>her style of songwriting (now more club/dance oriented though)

one thing is for sure, the demo version of realiti is better than the final dancey version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9XKLqGqwLA
>>
>>64212420

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q66Um2CLsig
>>
>>64213636
>>64213644
>>64213655
>>64213667
Weak as fuck drum sounds, she should just hire someone for samples, it's done all the time and would make this shit sound less amateur.
>>
dat hair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2XE0YG7ilc
>>
>>64213720
She doesn't seem to have the flu...hmm
>>
Maybe if she wasn't so shit at producing and actually had someone produce and master, her stuff would be tolerable to listen to
>>
>>64213690
>New Age. IDM.
These are the genres, fine. But songs that sound like Nightmusic and Be a Body? That Jamie Woon song that you posted isn't similar at all. I have no idea why you thought that was a fitting example.
>>
Grimes is on the same level as FKA Twigs, Aluna George, Chvrches etc. That type of artist. She's just a bit more hip, so she gets better reviews. She makes pop music, but not THAT kind of pop music. You can enjoy it whilst lying to yourself about your plebeian status.
>>
>>64213641
No.. no it means im better at having taste
>>
>>64213728
The drums are really great. I'm not kidding, they're very well programmed and they sound good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyJ5tC6U2xE

Are you by chance a /bleep/ bedroom producer? Post some good drum sounds and let's compare them.
>>
>>64213794
Except your taste in women is trash
>>
>>64213781
She's better than that. You just don't recognize her talent. Many others do.
>>
>>64213904
Grimes is literally the exact same type of artist FKA Twigs is ie flavor of the month alternative pop music. It's not bad, just not brilliant.
>>
>>64213756
Bad monitors gave her flu
>>
>>64213904
Grimes is better than sex
>>
>>64213667
>>64213616
This.

>>64213644
First of all, I like how you people need to attach a cute pic of Grimes to your posts. I said it: >>64213641 —I try to abstract from other things when I evaluate music.

But actually, sometimes you make me think that we've listened to different albums. It's a definition of poor production. Yes, it was done by Grimes, so I wouldn't expect any more from her. But she's just not serious about it.

She treats her music as self-expression, a thing made more for her own enjoyment. That's fine and all, but what do I have to do? Pretend I'm Grimes when I listen to it? There's uniqueness, there's originality, but there's also quality, basics of production, and the cold hard truth is that Grimes just doesn't get it.
>>
>>64213879
I was talking about those tracks from Visions.
And, really- are you underage? Because that's what I wonder when someone seems to think "Oh yeah? Well, let's hear YOUR drum sounds!" is an actual rhetorical point.
>>
>>64213772
https://youtu.be/7wfYIMyS_dI
Actually
>>
>>64213981
>valuing technical skill over creativity and vision
don't even like grimes but you're probably a STEMfag who masturbates to Autechre
>>
>>64213956
kek seems legit
>>
>>64213981
Loads of older albums sound like shit and they're appreciated. Does the poor production prevents you from enjoying good albums?

She was also criticized for her voice. Excuse me, Bob Dylan sounds awful and he's a legend.
>>
>>64213879
She gave herself a deadline. Came out pretty good considering it had to be finished.
>>
>>64214016
>dreamy stuff -> it must be similar to Enya
Except that Enya doesn't have that IDM/electropop production. I'm not even mention the lyrics...
>>
>>64213879
Wait-wait-wait, are you calling that booming club bass drum "good"? We have vastly different tastes then.
>>
Literally an unbiased opinion on Grimess

+ Unique. Doesn't sound like anyone or rip off a style
+ She has a lot of musical talent
+She knows how to make some great melodies
+Lyrics are pretty good most the time

- She can not sing. Her voice is all over the place.
- Her production is amateur in a bad way. Under produced, and just very basic. Needs a professional to produce her
-Her mastering is also bad. Doesn't have clarity.
-Needs better samples. They all sound basic.
>>
>>64214153
What are her worst lyrics?
>>
>>64214153
Grimes' lyrics are completely unremarkable in every way m8.
>>
>>64214111
Yes. That booming bass drum is great when it's used properly. Daft Punk, the Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, Underworld, and of course Grimes they all used it amazingly well.
>>
She's shit holy fuck when will this end I really can't take it anymore
>>
>>64213749
Very grrr
>>
>>64214153
That seems a reasonable opinion. But regarding singing: she's not a proper singer, her voice is just like another instrument. Kind of like Liz Frazer of Cocteau Twins. It's quite freeform and weird.

And regarding clarity, she may prefer the more blurry production, which it's still clear enough imo. You can't hear the lyrics well, but the other sounds are clear.
>>
https://youtu.be/mwX3u3tG9bQ
Melon gave a spot on review
>>
>>64214064
>>64214070
Did you follow the conversation? Someone said Visions had excellent layering, echoes, etc. and I agreed. To me, it was one of the strongest points about that album. Now Grimes has scrapped it in favor of something unprofessional while not changing much else. Yep, I dislike it.

> Excuse me, Bob Dylan sounds awful and he's a legend.

Did you really just compare Dylan to Grimes?… This is getting ridiculous.

> Loads of older albums sound like shit and they're appreciated.

I enjoy music for its good sides. Guided by Voices sounds like shit but it has the most amazing melodies I've ever heard one guy write. For Grimes, production was her good side. Listening to Grimes without production is like listening to acoustic demos of Pink Floyd.

Even still, which old records sound like shit? Music which was mastered by true professionals, then remastered numerous times? What exactly were you talking about? They didn't make such amateur mistakes like Grimes.
>>
>>64214385
>Did you really just compare Dylan to Grimes?… This is getting ridiculous.
Yes. Their voices more exactly. No sacred cows to me.
>>
>>64214362
It's over, she's finished
>>
>>64214385
>They didn't make such amateur mistakes like Grimes.
What mistakes are you talking about? Post some clear examples.
>>
>>64213720
perfect personality desu
>>
>>64214173
California
>>
>>64213981
You're meant to let the music do the work for you.
>>
>>64214407
I wouldn't say his voice was complete shit. But it isn't the point: Dylan is known as a great lyricist first. The lyrics were the cornerstone of his music. It's not the case for most artists, especially outside country/folk music, let alone Grimes.
>>
>>64214536
Music is way more important than lyrics. If I wanted good lyrics I'd read poetry. I listen to music for good sounds. And the sound of Dylan's voice isn't exactly good.
>>
>>64214533
What do you mean?

>>64214434
Clear example: have you ever made a song in GarageBand? Then you know you can't just leave tracks on their own. You need proper compression, mastering and all that stuff. And Art Angels sounds like it doesn't have any of that. Plain and simple. That's why it sounds like it was produced by an amateur.
>>
File: BobbyOHypercompressionGraphic.jpg (79 KB, 229x400) Image search: [Google]
BobbyOHypercompressionGraphic.jpg
79 KB, 229x400
>>64214637
>You need proper compression, mastering and all that stuff.
Do you mean the loudness war? I'm sick of that stuff (the modern mastering/mixing). All Grimes songs don't sound tiring to my ears. They have a lot of room to "breathe".

Her "amateur" production suits her music very well. Imagine she's like a folk artist, but instead acousting guitars she has synths.
>>
File: Grimes.png (2 MB, 1614x2034) Image search: [Google]
Grimes.png
2 MB, 1614x2034
>>
>>64214734
Proof how autistic is a large part of /mu/? It makes me puke.
>>
>>64214609
It's not what I meant. Bob Dylan could get away with it. By the same logic, no one gives a fuck about Taylor Swift's personal stories or deep lyrics in Bruno Mars' songs.

Grimes used to hide her weak vocals with production. But now she puts them in the front, with barely any mastering. She's bound to sound worse than any pop singer with proper producers.
>>
>>64214704
But he is right
>>
>>64214704
That's a Straw Man argument.

That's not what I meant. I won't explain to you the sound production 101, because you just can't explain it in two sentences. If it was so easy, Grimes would do it properly. The thing you pictured is very bad but it has no relation to what I was talking about.

Listen to demo tapes of any good album you can find, doesn't matter which decade. Then listen to the proper album versions. That's the difference I was talking about.
>>
>>64214533
>>64214637
I mean with listening it, not making it like with that other album. it's funny that people care to see what's failed to engage them, they still find a lot of things
>>
>>64212420
>I went in unbiased, and expecting some good music

lmao
>>
>>64214849
Fuck. See >>64214924

I'm outta here. Sorry, sound production is impossible to explain if you have no experience with it. You need to at least have some DAW experience in mixing/mastering a track to understand what I was talking about.

You don't understand that there is a tool called "compression" which is essential to sound engineering, and there's overuse of compression.

There's not much to add here. People making statements about production when they barely even understand what the term means and what it does. It feels like talking about vaccines to vegans.
>>
>>64214924
But Art Angels sounds glossy. Even glossier than Visions. If you think that it sounds like a demo, check the demo version of Realiti and compare it with the album version.
>>
>>64215204
Bruh I was agreeing with you
>>
Sometimes the album is great and sometimes its just good. I really don't know
>>
>>64215204
>You don't understand that there is a tool called "compression" which is essential to sound engineering
To make the sounds punchier? That albums doesn't need more compression. It's already pretty punchy.
>>
>>64215204
Dynamics though
>>
>>64215244
No it isn't
>>
The fact that Grimes started out as a complete amateur yet she puts tracks that are better just better electronic music than 90% of indie and mainstream releases out there says a lot about her talent and understanding of melody.

But /mu/ will always sperg out about her because they can't stand a woman being actually talented and prefer eye candy whores like Lauren Mayberry to jack off to.
>>
>>64215244
>To make the sounds punchier?
>It's already pretty punchy.

Are you Fantano?
>>
>>64215251
That's right. Put more compression and you sacrifice dynamics. Plus there could be audio artifacts.
>>
>>64215220
Phew, ok, nevermind the rant then
>>
>>64215277
But it could be a compressed dynamic
>>
>>64215254
Did you listen to Kill V. Maim? It's sounds quite compressed (maybe a tad too much). There are few points when the sound is quite muddy because of compression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2EJMd7ZN7w
>>
>>64215306
Get the fuck out of here.
>>
>>64214734
edgy

seriously what was the point of this? i cant imagine LITERALLY pissing away money like that.
>>
>>64212973
This is the best music Grimes has to offer the world? My god, it is all waifufagging. This sounds like a million other 19 year olds on soundcloud.
>>
>>64215448
A meltdown of an autist pissed off because of Grimes' less than stellar Coachella performance due her having flu.
>>
>>64215342
I thought that was the theme.. it's relentless and overbearing. I know this is semantics but it's an argument
>>
>>64215273
There are plenty of female musicians better than Grimes. Even that were at Coachella.
>>
>>64215523
>This sounds like a million other 19 year olds on soundcloud.
I dare you, post just one similar to that song. I'm waiting.
>>
>>64215273
>just better electronic music than 90% of indie and mainstream releases out there says a lot about her talent
HA good1lad
90% HAHAHA
was a joke, right? cuz yr fookin delusional if you actually think that
>>
>>64215537
>plenty
Name some of them
>>
>>64215523
She's successful by making soundcloudcore? must be skilled
>>
>>64212420
like i know, right?
>>
>>64215273
>The fact that Grimes started out as a complete amateur
I forgot, Richard D James was born a musician, and so did the rest of the industry who apparently need to check their musician privilege.

> she puts tracks that are better just better electronic music than 90% of indie and mainstream releases out there

That's very subjective. Talking about Visions, yes it was good, better than some other albums for sure. Art Angels—I'd rather listen to the other 90% of indie and mainstream releases.

What baffles me is how everyone pretends Grimes is anything special, when she's just overhyped.

> But /mu/ will always sperg out about her because they can't stand a woman being actually talented and prefer eye candy whores like Lauren Mayberry to jack off to.

Implying at least half of Grimes """"fans"""" out there don't like her mostly because she's cute.

I like Chairlift, Purity Ring, Bjork, Liz Phair, Laura Marling, Fleetwood Mac and other female artists/bands with female members. Too bad waifufags doesn't talk about them often. It's almost like they don't care about music much.
>>
>>64214734
>god bless you for saving that epic moment, anon
*salutes as a single manly tear rolls down his cheek*
>>
>>64214734
The venison was impressive
>>
>>64214313
>her voice is just like another instrument. Kind of like Liz Frazer of Cocteau Twins
EXCEPT THAT LIZ CAN *ACTUALLY* SING YOU KNOB
>>
>>64212973
Literally "look I am trying to be panda bear except not talented like him" the song
>>
>>64215680
Hey knob, Liz has a godlike voice, but just like Grimes she doesn't sing clearly. You can hardly understand what she's singing. Stop your elitist attitude right now and think for a moment.
>>
>>64215753
apples > oranges
>>
>>64215694
She's way more talented than Panda Bear. Panda Bear can't come with a decent melody on a whole album. Just washy pleasant background music.
>>
>>64215548
https://soundcloud.com/glxy/searching-you

That grimes song is pretty much half a tier above this random song I just pulled from my feed.

There is nothing unique or interesting about that song whatsoever.
>>
>>64215753
That's kind of the point in shoegaze. Just like the music, it's hazy and dream-like.

Liz has amazing though as >>64215680 said. Grimes? Her voice is very weak, even more so live (and no I'm not talking about this year's Coachella).
>>
>>64215775
You just described Grimes. Panda Bear's production, and melodies are fucking leagues better than Grimes's basic GarageBand tier shit
>>
File: 1451181477770.png (217 KB, 390x435) Image search: [Google]
1451181477770.png
217 KB, 390x435
>>64215775
>>
>>64215613
Or shilled.
>>
>>64215775
>She's way more talentef than Panda Bear
My fucking sides
>>
>>64215775
Yeah you are baiting hard
>>
>>64215820
Again, skilled
>>
>>64215776
And how is that minimalist tune similar to Symphonia IX? It's monotone and it hasn't a memorable melody. The singing is just some mumbling and there's a very basic R&B beat. Background music, nothing really happens. Next!
>>
>>64215776
Whoa dude, no kidding. Grimes is better than random song from sound cloud. No shit! That's the true merit of a musician.
>>
>>64215753
By the end of their career she was writing conventional lyrics that can be understood perfectly well. You just outed yourself, dolt.
>>
Fucking fuck: some claim that Grimes is nothing special. When I ask them to prove it by posting something similar, they post stuff that is very different. Try harder.
>>
>>64215863
>By the end of their career she was writing conventional lyrics that can be understood perfectly well.
I know that dummy. Since Heaven or Las Vegas Liz started to sing more clearly, but still pretty "blurry"/"hazy". Just like Grimes. The comparison is still valid.
>>
File: Avrillllllll.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Avrillllllll.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
>another Grimes thread over 100 replies

hoooo boy here we go.

> Art Angels is a pop record that can't really decide whether it wants to be Avril Lavinge or Bjork. Due to this indecisiveness, it ends up bring all of the flaws of both artists while burying their strengths. She gets Avril Lavinge's excessive and obnoxious aesthetic while bringing none of her catchy choruses and relatability. She gets Bjork's meandering instrumentation while bringing none of her unique and emotionally affecting ones. Grimes' talents make everything in Art Angels competently made, but the idea of Art Angels is essentially self-defeating. It's a pop album that tries to be unique from both top 40 pop and art pop alike, but it's the search for this that makes Art Angels simply fall apart in terms of both songs and cohesion and bring the worst of both worlds while diluting both their inherent, beneficial traits.
>>
>>64215849
Waifu goggles. There was no memorable melody in the Grimes song, there was minimal movement, and she is just singing some mumbled gargling. Besides I literally pulled it out of nowhere, and its still 4/5 of the song that that Grimes song is.

>>64215851
Kind of supports what I'm saying desu.

>>64215840
Again, no.
>>
>>64215972
It's pretty simple really. Waifufags that are wannabe music producers siting in their room all day making shit synth sounds love her because they think she is like them. She is ugly and stupid and strange. Problem is, she isn't a new Bjork and her music is bland trash. There isn't a semblance of taste or creativity in any of her records that lasts longer than 30 seconds, and even those are few and far between.
>>
>>64215999
>Waifu goggles. There was no memorable melody in the Grimes song, there was minimal movement, and she is just singing some mumbled gargling. Besides I literally pulled it out of nowhere, and its still 4/5 of the song that that Grimes song is.
This is completely crap. You didn't even listen to Symphonia IX. You just pulled that random song out of your ass. If those songs are similar you must be deaf.

At least check out the live version, maybe you'll hear the memorable melody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSWwVYuqsVM
>>
>>64215972

Is the reviewer comparing Avril Lavigne cheerleader aesthetic with Grime's?

Really that's a completely misplaced comparison. Grimes is more like a millennial videogame playing nerdy chick that reads Dune and watches anime.

What makes Grimes attractive is that she can be sensual and girl-like while being also virginal. Bjork on the other hand literally displayed no sexual traits and remained completely sterile as part as sensuality is concerned. Grimes surpassed contemporary female lead singers in the "Madonna effect" like lady Gaga, or Lana del Rey because she understands simulation better than them. The other two are just mimicking and faking it, but Grimes being a genuine child of 90's consumerism, owns it and isn't pretending.
>>
Literally nothing about her, there are people who like her fake lisp and music and some who don't
As far as I could tell she fell off in publicity after oblivion was overhyped but I love her to death
Her music is just very relaxing
>>
>>64216084
Your opinion makes sense like a rabbit building a spaceship. You called her "ugly and stupid and strange"; what if you're projecting? And because she's a woman you disregard her fans and call them waifufags. This is the opinion of a taliban living in western world or a medieval wearing pissed pants. Stop shitting yourself.
>>
>>64216138
It's just a pasta. You're wasting your time with that troll.
>>
>>64215999
>implying viraling your shit into stardom isn't artistic phenomena
>>
File: grimes.jpg (86 KB, 704x608) Image search: [Google]
grimes.jpg
86 KB, 704x608
Grimes haters, just listen to her Ave Maria cover: http://picosong.com/KRRh

If this doesn't move you at all, you have no soul.
>>
>>64216229
>Her music is just very relaxing
True. It's a treat to listen to Visions on headphones.
>>
File: 1446007552383.jpg (104 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1446007552383.jpg
104 KB, 640x640
>>64212420
Because she's a feminist and people worship her just for that fact. They may pretend that she's fantastic but its really about her being a woman and feminist.
>>
>>64216614
You're delusional. Nobody gives a flying fuck if Grimes is a feminist or not, except her tumblr fanbase. It's about 3 things: music, look, personality. People who like her, like one, two, or all these three things.
>>
File: Avril Under My Skin.jpg (36 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Avril Under My Skin.jpg
36 KB, 500x500
>>64216138
>but Grimes being a genuine child of 90's consumerism, owns it and isn't pretending.

If I get an F on purpose it's still an F. You're talking about authenticity but this simply isn't correlated with quality. One can can be completely authentic to theirself and still produce mediocre results, which is what happened in Art Angels. In a way, the results are quite similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiaYDPRedWQ

I had a hard time figuring out what exactly Art Angels sounded like for a while but this fits the bill quite well. Both are overblown in the vocals and instrumentation, both have a certain "anime girl" aesthetic that just comes off as obnoxious if nothing else. The flaws of one may be more blatant, but the flaws of both are essentially the same. It's pop with no engaging hooks or arrangements. The weird sounds and vocal impressions just distract you from that fact.
>>
>>64217478
It's not the first time you posted about Avril on Grimes threads. Why?

Everyone knows that Avril isn't even 1/10 as good as Claire.
>>
Hhh
>>
File: pete-wentz-the-twink.jpg (56 KB, 816x544) Image search: [Google]
pete-wentz-the-twink.jpg
56 KB, 816x544
>>64217548
Again, Art Angels problems aren't nearly to the extent of Hello Kitty. My point is that the flaws of Art Angels and Hello Kitty have parallels. Whether Avril is better or worse than Grimes isn't the point.

And as to why? Because Avril and Grimes CAN be compared as contemporaries. Why not when we're trying to discuss the merit of Grimes? Grimes and Avril have similar traits, so I'm simply pointing them out.
>>
>>64217010
>You're delusional.
>Nobody gives a flying fuck if Grimes is a feminist or not
Ah no... I could go to /lgbt/ right fucking now and point out that you're the delusional one.
>>>/lgbt/6051982
>>
>>64215581
Courtney Barnett
Girl from Beach House
Girl from Autolux
Christine and the Queens
Hell, even Janelle Monae from Grimes' own set

All either better instrumentalists or better singers that were at Coachella.
>>
>>64218649
Aristophanes from Grime's own set, too
>>
Kill V Maim is pretty fucking good
>>
Grimes makes me feel like she's my stepdaughter and I'm watching her go through various phases, even though she's 6 years older than me.
>>
>>64217478
>It's pop with no engaging hooks or arrangements.

Butterfly and Kill V. Maim both have huge hooks. And they, and I'd argue the other songs, have good pop arrangements.
>>
File: Pete-serious.jpg (42 KB, 640x628) Image search: [Google]
Pete-serious.jpg
42 KB, 640x628
>>64219700
Kill V. Maim is an anomaly but it's the worst song on the album primarily because of that fact. Instead of being boring, it's obnoxious and clashy. Butterfly isn't much different from what I said though. Basic pop with some sound effects to fill up the "weird" quota.

I'll demonstrate with another song in another album by Grimes that I feel is better. Genesis isn't an excellent song by any means, but the difference between Genesis and an average song on Art Angels is fluidity. In a way, Genesis is like many songs on Art Angels. But the difference is that Genesis has much better transitions and is much more steady and fully-fledged while also going through multiple sections. As a result, you get a good pop song unlike Art Angel's tendency to mash together pop tropes like some audio alphabet soup. Hence, what I mean by no engaging arrangements
>>
>>64212455
Ok
>>
>>64212420
There's nothing exactly stand out-ish about her. I think where she gets the interest of listeners is likely the aesthetic she has on her albums. It's very lighthearted and cutesy but the lyrics are often dark or aggressive. It's very reminiscent of Nicole Dollaganger. Not that big of a deal in my eyes, although I did enjoy the cuts on Art Angels, I don't see why the hype has reached this point.
>>
Lok
Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.