[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Japanese music so much better than Korean music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6
File: japansk.png (56 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
japansk.png
56 KB, 2000x1333
Why is Japanese music so much better than Korean music?
>>
>>64203165
koreans are filthy untermensh while japanese are honorary people
>>
The constant threats of earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, typhoons and nuclear bombs instills a existential fear into the japanese which they put into their art
>>
NORTH KOREAN MILITARY MUSIC BEST MUSIC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq54msMu3Sc&app=desktop
>>
File: 21684798749874.jpg (120 KB, 1241x332) Image search: [Google]
21684798749874.jpg
120 KB, 1241x332
>>64203206
Weebs please go.
Japanese beta male culture (anime and everything related to that) is literally what is killing the way men should be worldwide.
>>
>>64203165
Koreans are capitalist pigs
Japs are trapped in unwavering feelings of deep shame and inferiority complexes, it fuels their art.
>>
>>64203206
korean here can confirm
but why is this on /mu/ don't kill my /mu/ anymore
korea shoudlnt be discussed in this board anyway because there is nothing musical about this shithole
>>
>>64203288
It really seems that way doesn't it
>>
koreans make music?
>>
>>64203221
then why is korean cinema so much better than japanese cinema?
>>
Koreans do nothing but rip as many people off as they can. They're the asian version of jews

The Japanese culture strives for quality and art over quantity, hence the massive amounts of originality from the country

Source: Lived in Korea for two years and I know Japanese culture fairly well
>>
>>64203555
because all the talent goes to the anime industry where they thrive and own
>>
>>64203165
japanese music is indeed better but korean isn't bad
the main problem is marketing here
korea is focused on making money what will be popular, so that kind of music is everywhere and indie labels can't break thru
if you search for some indie korean music you'll see there are some nice things out there

meanwhile japan is also quite infiltrated by idol music now (ESPECIALLY NOW), it still allows to make room for the more indie artists (pop music but with quirks, see shiina ringo for example)
true underground stuff does not get much recognition but has a following because japan in itself has become a very varied culture + certain music appeals to certain niche

a bit worried for japan because of the idol music exploitation. now they have this idea to release as many things as possible so they sell and hire as many girls as possible (even if they can't sing or dance; japan idol shit has a money-making system where the girls who are bad singers and dancers are considered cute and the key is for them to try their best and improve, and to do that you need to 'cheer' for this particular group member and you kinda do it with by wasting money and time you know) so everyone will be satisfied. similar stuff has happened to visual kei but a bit earlier i think. at this point kpop is better than jap idol pop as korea prepares the members to dance and sing to perfection. but we see that both countries are now more visual than music focused when it comes to popular media, just like everywhere else
>>
To be honest, I was surprised when I found out that Korea has some underground punk music scene too. But I see Japan as some place where you can be musically who you are and people are ready to go see your show and maybe take it a little more serious. I'm in contact with various noise and free jazz musicians from Japan. Anyway, I don't know which country has better music, but I think Japan is focused a little more on alternative and independent music, or at least there is room for this music.
>>
>>64203555
this one is pretty false
japanese and korean cinema, from legendary movies (for japan: kurosawa's stuff) to arthouse they're either equal or japan is better (note:lack of old korean movies seen). i mean if you're speaking about oldboy etc
on popular movies yes most of the stuff in japan goes to anime movies and uh in korea they barely produce anime so they focus more on the dramas
however dramas aren't usally good either so idk anon
>>
>>64203731
korea has lots of underground things but they cannot be extracted into the western world because of it's underground visibility. we could get those records only with the help of tourists/immigrants who are interested in such music or koreans themselves who are interested and would post stuff into torrents and rym but this is an extreme minority from any side

you know what's worse? china
i mean if you even like pop like jpop or kpop, you cannot find anything like that in china. cpop is mostly slow ballads, and the 'modern' pop top40 music in chinese is brought by kpop bands who can sing in mandarin
i have encountered either old records from china that display classical music or a few indie artists that don't do something really unique or progressive apart from being derivative or too bound to pop
>>
People who say this are either so far up the weeb tree that they've adopted Japanese nationalism as their own or think kpop is all that exists in Korea

its a shame desu
>>
>>64203781
But to be fair, in China is underground music scene too, mostly punk is growing there, idk if not same with Indonesia. But from what I know from my friends from there, they all like complex music, the more complex the better, part of their mentality or culture I guess.

I live in Seoul and I know here some songwriters who go to perform or record to China. Anyway, about pop, what do you mean progressive? Even kpop is like delayed version of western pop and following its trends.
>>
>>64203854
i did not connect pop to progressivity
i connected the chinese underground/indie scene to progressivity which it lacks from what i've heard
any recs?
it's really hard to find something from china desu
also any idea why china LOVES sappy slow ballads and mainly has them in their top40
>>
>>64203984
>also any idea why china LOVES sappy slow ballads and mainly has them in their top40
It's just part of their culture. Chinese girls are also obsessed with Lana, Hurts and so on
>>
>>64204013
oh yeah tru
>>
>>64203732
>note:lack of old korean movies seen
Then your opinion means jackshit? How fucking full of yourself can you be?
>>
Koreans suck America's dick
Japan doesn't
>>
>>64203582
This is what a person that's never been to either countries would say.
>>
>>64203684
This was very insightful. For once the trip is a friend and not a fag.
>>
Korea = Normal, well-adjusted people who value money and sex over anything else. That's why they make such successful, world famous slutpop music.

Japan = Creeps, pedos, and shame and self-hatred deeply embedded into culture. Therefore they make noisy, experimental music.
>>
>>64203165
what like their music at large? the best of their music? or just the manufactured pop garbage you listen to?
>>
>>64205352
>>>/kpop/
>>
>>64203984
I know of a Chinese dark ambient project, as well as a Chinese emo band that was popular here and a Chinese hardcore punk band from the same city as the emo band.
>>
>>64205619
I know some math rock/post-rock projects from China too.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvG2kgpN5Nw
Anymore like this?
>>
>>64204321
i'm approximating, lack means less than 50, i've seen a lot of korean movies from late 90s-now, however i'm not that good with their much older stuff
>>64205619
care to share?
>>64205294
ty ty
>>
>>64203165
It would depend on what music you're comparing, Korea has some great hip hop and some really good indie stuff, Japan has a lot more crazy good shit like noise rock etc. Plus if you're gonna compare the pop kpop>jpop
>>
>>64204663
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>64203165

I`ll tell you what - both suck.
>>
>>64203165
I'm Korean and sadly I agree with your statement.
>>
Korea doesn't have based Mana-sama.
>>
>Best Grindcore bands come from Japoo

>Korea has no Grind

Kim pls
>>
>>64203582
Japan's culture is basically American though. They abandoned their own mindset once the bombs dropped. There might be a certain cultural take on things but it is always a take on what the West brought in. This is especially visible in their music. Sure, there are some counter-cultures like Japanoise that were fairly unique due to their rebelious nature, but even Mizutani was inspired by VU.
>>
>>64206589
>some counter-cultures like Japanoise
>but even Mizutani was inspired by VU

>the only Japanese music and art I have any idea about are the meme artists I see on /mu/ and /daily/

When will poser fucks like you finally realize that there's no value to sharing your thoughts on shit you have no idea about?
>>
>>64203984
>also any idea why china LOVES sappy slow ballads and mainly has them in their top40

It's because communism killed whatever creative expression they once had.
>>
>>64206659
Never because that triggers you. Thanks for the reply.
>>
File: hd-american-eagles-pictures.jpg (1 MB, 1792x1412) Image search: [Google]
hd-american-eagles-pictures.jpg
1 MB, 1792x1412
>>64204663
They both do

>Japan = Creeps, pedos, and shame and self-hatred deeply embedded into culture. Therefore they make noisy, experimental music.

I so nothing wrong with that
>>
>>64206687
This. I'm from post-commie block shithole called Slovakia and we are making sad songs 99% of time. There is story of one slovak popular artist that came to Abbey Road and they asked him why is he using every time minor chords and all make sound sad.
>>
>>64206687
>>64206747
communism more like ''communism'' ykno
im actually from post-''commie'' place too aka lithuania
people aren't creative here either but it's not as bad as it sounds in slovakia. i also haven't caught up with what stuff slovakia makes today underground, but i'm quite sure it's fine. pop music will always be lamer, here lithuanians love shitty deep house (no no, not anything good, trust me) and hip hop
also if russia itself was the centre of shitty totalitarism (ussr) they now are not obsessing over sad songs, they will have their own russki style but it's a lot more varied even if it's not good
>>
>>64206929
We have pretty much small underground scene, if it can be called underground. More like, alternative. But art here is underrated, no chance to earn solid money unless you were some huge star during commie era and everybody knows your hits from childhood.
>>
>>64206659
oh wow, do you?
lrd were an essential band for japanese underground back in the time, so there is a reason to cite them. if you dig deeper into the 60s music of japan (try the groups, although kayokyoku will have that too), it will be basically japanese people doing american pop/rock music ,not much more, sadly
however saying that japan's culture = american culture is gibberish
japanese have a tendency to do at least a bit of take on western music, but imo that will be inevitable for any country over time
>>
>>64206985
our underground scene is also very small, the 'underground' people are more into raving, so we have a decent rave scene
we never had big commie stars really, so it probably saved us, also a lot of lithuania is anti-russia (bar dem old vatniks) and also anti-america (which is totally ridiculous and also restricting them from progressing in certain fields). ussr had a significant impact on the country tho, lack of modern and post-modern art back in the times.
you know, when bowie died there was an article posted in one of the most popular lithuanian news sites and the comments are just hideous. most (even grown) people don't know him or say this is some drug music. drugs in lithuania by most are seen as something super bad while alcohol isn't. i'm sure it's similar in your country. anything that is '2deep4them' is basically 'dumb shit made by junkies'. bowie is pretty much pop tier especially the glam part, i'm suprised how people can't handle anything else rather than quickly-tiring american top 40 or lithuanian deep house and hip hop which are even more samey and bland.
>>
>>64203165
Shitty economy = No artistic scene
Growing economy = Growing art scene
Japan has always been big, pre and post WWII. Korea only really started developing in the 90s
>>
>>64203555
>Ozu
>Mizoguchi
>Teshigahara
>Kurosawa
>Naruse
>Shindo
>Kobayashi
>Takahata
>Aoyama
>Miyazaki
>Kinugasa
>Oshii
>Kon
>Gosho
>Terayama
Korea can't compete
>>
>>64207232
>doesnt even mention sion sono
>>
What about China?

2 billion people with almost no music to show for it.
>>
>>64207198
With Bowie, we had it different, at least in media. They wrote about it as about big lost and people pretty much agreed with it, not all of course. Anyway you are right about that dumb shit made by junkies, I don't know if this wasn't case when Lemmy died. Mainstream here is same, top40 america/uk, old slovak pop commie bullshit, hip hop (slovak, pretty terrible I guess) and 1% is maybe some new slovak songwriters.

During communism we had huge underground scene in Czechoslovakia. From punk - illegal concerts, usually in old garages, houses or even in canal system to some kind of anti-political avant-garde and folk music. I think that common enemy - communism was for really a lot young people motivation to do some art and say what they think about it. But now, being artist pretty much means you are scum of society because you don't earn huge money.

And you would be surprised how is our society polarized. One part suck USA dick, other part suck Russians dick.
>>
>>64207273
kinda hard when the chairman has to approve everything
>>
>>64207273
China makes much music we just don't want you western faggits listening to it. Vote communist and we'll see.
>>
The japs are master imitators
notice that whenever they rip off some other culture's music they do it fucking great, especially piano sonatas and jazz music
>>
>>64207420
> piano sonatas
>weird pretentions movements
Honestly, in Korea and I guess everywhere they teach how you should behave when you play piano, thats why all look like they have orgasmic spasms when they perform and you idiots will clap them.
>>
>>64207452
are you autistic, I'm not talking about their appearance I'm talking about the music
I don't give a flying fuck how they act around the piano
>>
>>64207475
Calm the assfire young man.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lxfd229f3Y
>>
File: 1440116722514.gif (1021 KB, 421x389) Image search: [Google]
1440116722514.gif
1021 KB, 421x389
>>64207508
>>
>>64207232
>Seijun Suzuki
>Kinji Fukasaku
>Hideo Gosha
>Nagisa Oshima
>Yasuzo Masumura
>Takashi Ishii
>Takeshi Kitano
>>
>>64207338
we had post punk during 80s-90s (foje constantly cited between 'alternative' cliques) , also seemingly oldskool rave scene in mid 90s (though the remnants from back them don't have much if any value). lithuanian pagan metal emerged here but it's a mess and has a very neonazistic and intolereant community
it's still kinda better to suck usa's dick than russia's tho usa is no angel. at least it has more chances to progress somewhere
most people are anti-both here, but in a very crappy way, it's basically just the same russia only lite version that is constantly triggered by whenever actual russia is mentioned (muh soviet occupation). it just does not go anywhere really except slowly destruct itself
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqnP-eryo4E
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.