[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dissonance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: JohnnyCage.jpg (162 KB, 900x601) Image search: [Google]
JohnnyCage.jpg
162 KB, 900x601
I think my ears are fucked, so at first I used to play scales and chords that sounded good with each other (harmony) but then I started listening to shit like Opeth, MBV and Slint so I just said, fuck it and using my fast skillz I played random notes and chords on my guitar and they actually sounded great (of course, using logical timing, existing strumming patterns, etc... Imagine playing a normal song but fucking around with all the notes). The first time I started listening to music I thought this sounded like shit but now I think it's brilliant, it makes me feel emotions that I can't achieve with existing chords progressions and scales.

What happened here? Do I have the John Cage syndrome?
>>
Not really, just got a better appreciation for music in general. Stravinsky said tonalism holds us captive from feeling a bigger range of emotions, and it's probably true, there is a lot of feelings that don't have a name and come up when you listen to certain things.
>>
>>64194683
what does John Cage have to do with your shitty improvisations?
>>
>>64194745
Well he's totally right then, I've opened my third eye.
>>
>>64194804
Listen you twat, go to Google and search for John Cage's thoughts on music, he said anything can be music and you don't need to follow any form or tonality to enjoy it.
>>
>>64194823
Disgustingly gross simplification of Cage's contributions to music. Read the Indeterminacy texts, analyze some of his sonatas, and then you can namedrop. He dealt with complex approaches to musical form and composition that directly challenged specific conventions of western classical music.
>>
>>64194867
I bet 4'33 was very complex
>>
>>64194935
I'll bet you can't name two other pieces by him without looking them up
>>
>>64194935
Kys
>>
>>64194957
Then what's the point of naming another piece if there is no way to prove I looked it up? Eat shit.
>>
No you have evolved into the hipster of hipsters.

Congratulations!
>>
>>64195024
i thought this was just hipster
hipster of hipsters would be vaporwave fans imo
>>
Just like reading between the lines, you're becoming more proficient at hearing between the notes.
As a recommendation, turn your ear onto jazz and prog rock. Jazz allows you to hone in on the feelings of dissonance and consonance of notes within chord progressions. Prog rock can give you a better understanding of rhythm and tempo changes.
A band I recommend giving a listen is The Breakfast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxhNLP9rVFs
>>
>>64195270
I've been listening to prog for some time now (allthough I listen to prog metal mostly) since it was my favorite genre and I ignored jazz a long time ago because I honestly thought it sucked (I knew it was very good, musically, but it didn't make me feel anything) allthough I like to listen to some jazz fusion with my prog, I think I'll give jazz another chance, thanks.
>>
>>64195270
The fuck? Funky Town? LMAO
>>
>>64195517
lol yeah they always did teases in their live playing. This is a long one, but worth the whole listen. At the end they tease Inca Roads by Zappa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTjzodHEj1E
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.