[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many of you who play instruments know music theory?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 6
How many of you who play instruments know music theory?
>>
uh i've studied it a little bit in lessons when i was younger, but asking if someone "knows music theory" is like asking if someone "knows maths", it's broad and stupidly reductive
>>
music theory is just context for someone who's been playing an instrument for a while
if you've been playing for 5+ years, you probably have a grasp on the fundamentals of music theory, you just don't know the proper way to articulate it
>>
knowing music theory doesn't get you laid like that dude
>>
I've been playing about 12 years, taught myself how to read music and about the basics of harmony. Went to Berklee. I'd say I know more about theory than a lot of modern musicians.
>>
>>64182174
I don't even know how to read a score desu
>>
File: 1459455047172.jpg (66 KB, 500x645) Image search: [Google]
1459455047172.jpg
66 KB, 500x645
>>64182174

I can play guitar in

>major scales
>minor scales
>pentatonic minor scales
>the ones that sound like castle music

I also know the Jimi Hendrix chord
>>
I played a few instruments studied music theory in high school, but I haven't actually played any music in about 5 years, I really regret stopping to be honest. I still have solid music theory knowledge though, and can read music and all that
>>
I know plenty, but I play piano.. I think it really depends what your purposes are whether you need to learn about it or not.
>>
>>64182267
Did that get you anywhere?
>>
15% of /mu/ doesn't even know music theory
don't bother asking
>>
Forgot 99% of that shit sadly.
>>
I know the basics.
>>
>>64182313

I play professionally, so yeah I guess so. It's taken me to practically every major city in the US and paid for all the travel along the way.
>>
>>64182318
more like
>15% know music theory
>35% think they know music theory
>35% pretend to know music theory
>15% don't care
>>
>>64182336
In a band? Alone? Do you sing?
>>
>>64182355
I'd say higher than 15% don't care.. probably hardly anyone truly pretends, it's more likely a large group think they know a la >>64182244
>>
Skip the theory. Learn the Nashville Number System!
>>
>>64182366

I play bass and sing harmonies with a singer/songwriter, and I play guitar/bass/piano and sing in another band
>>
>>64182443
Noice, great life u got there m8
>>
what do i need to learn to compose my own songs on guitar. I mean not just strumming chords. Im mainy interested in fingerpicking. Its realy relaxing.
>>
>>64182481

Hey thanx it feels like I'm cheating sometimes but it's always nice when I go out with friends and I'm the only one not complaining about the job I signed myself up for.
>>
"I taught myself to play guitar. It's incredibly easy when you understand the science of it. The skinny strings play the high sounds, and the fat strings play the low sounds. If you put your finger on the string farther out by the tuning end it makes a lower sound. If you want to play fast, move your hand fast and if you want to play slower move your hand slower. That's all there is to it. You can learn the names of notes and how to make chords that other people use, but that's pretty limiting. Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day."
- David Fair
>>
I play the drums and know intervals and basic theory stuff pretty well
>>
>>64182524
First learn intervals, then apply them to see how chords and scales are made, then learn which chords go with each key

Also learn fingerpicking songs
>>
>>64182524
there is absolutely nothing, technically, that you "need" to learn to be able to compose your own songs on guitar, other than being able to get a sound out of it. you just need to learn to DO it.

any music-related and even non-music-related knowledge can be helpful though.

basically just learn whatever is interesting to you at the moment or try to work on a song.
>>
>>64182580

he's either an outsider musician or a big faggot
>>
anyone got those cheat sheets wiht wheels and chords and shit?
>>
I do, sort of.
I play the bass and the guitar, and I learned most of what I know over time through endless grinding.
For instance, it took me 5 years to finally understand how scales work in songs. When I did the feeling was like I had made some groundbreaking discovery, which honestly I did for myself.
>>
I don't know theory but I play by ear.

I know how to play most instruments with a melody and put it together the way I want it, but I can't write music for others to perform.
>>
>implying 95% of moo can even play an em chord
>>
>>64182628
to add to this - in my experience at least, application of theory into songwriting/improv is rarely about the how, but the why. regardless of whether you learn with your brain or your ear, it's about a pure understanding of every note and every chord. both styles of learning are valid, it's a matter of understanding.
>>
>>64182580
this might be true for rock, but basic music theory goes a long way with jazz
>>
>>64182650
A lot of people I know went to music school and I think they're shit.

Money and education can't buy you creativity or talent.
>>
>>64182778
>Money and education can't buy you creativity or talent.
But it can definitely help bring it into a song
>>
I know music theory because I play piano and it's basically a necessity for the instrument.
>>
>>64182798
I've listened to tons of people that are knowledgeable in theory that make loads of shit music. Granted it's a useful tool to have, but it can't work as a crutch for a lack of intellect or vision.

A musician that is bright regardless of their level of education in theory will make good music.
>>
File: cicle.jpg (51 KB, 600x612) Image search: [Google]
cicle.jpg
51 KB, 600x612
>>64182671
Talking about this?
>>
>>64182888
The circle of fifth is pretty useful, since I don't remember it I have a picture saved on my phone to know what goes with what.
>>
>>64182888
C
Far
Ba
Esspen
Asskeladden
Dessorientere
Gesstapo

C
Gamle
Damer
Aper
Etter
Herrer
Fisskam
>>
>there is no such thing as talent
>smarter people make better music
>theory helps, but is not necessary to compose music
>knowledge of theory does not mean good artistry
>music that applies theory heavily is not "better" than simpler music

All of the above are true
>>
>>64182985
What is called "talent" is nothing more than higher intelligence or experience.

Music is made of mathematical patterns.
>>
>>64182888
it was way more complex, had a bunch of other stuff and colour coding for all sorts of things highlighting different uses and such
>>
File: Music Theory Cheat Sheet.jpg (867 KB, 747x1869) Image search: [Google]
Music Theory Cheat Sheet.jpg
867 KB, 747x1869
>>64183031

This?
>>
>>64183029
Talent is used as an excuse to not succeed. "Oh, ___ has so much talent, I'll never be that talented" is the subliminal reason so many people don't pursue music.
>>
>>64183092
yes, thank you
>>
>>64183096
And intelligent musicians will still make better and more creative music than less intelligent ones.
>>
>>64182985

>music that applies theory heavily is not "better" than simpler music

I think The Strokes already proved that.
>>
>>64183177
because they tried it and still sucked or what?
>>
>>64183205
>the strokes
>bad

Oh me oh my oh me
>>
me
>>
the anti-intellectualism on this thread - and this board too, 2bh - is off the charts
>>
>>64183216
lamest band on earth and a disgrace to garage rock.
>>
>>64183205
Is This It is full of just basic chords and riffs. It's a great album and it kind of proves that you don't need to heavily rely on theory to make good music.
>>
>>64183252
Explain.
>>
>>64183331
yeah, well, gotta say that's really a great example. it's not like there were thousands of bands, whole movements even, that proved that more efficiently decades earlier, right?
>>
>>64182888
Aren't those just the relative scales?
>>
>>64183389
not even to talk of traditional music that doesn't rely heavily on theory that's been around for centuries.
>>
>>64183389
They were the first band I thought :/

No need to be sassy.
>>
>>64183498
ok sry.

The Strokes still suck tho.
>>
>>64183511
I'm cool with that.
>>
>>64183029
lol
>>
>>64183456
>>64182985
Music that is more complex can actually be listened to. Most people nowadays, including most of /mu/, don't listen to music, they just use it as background noise. If people sat down and focused on the music, they would probably find that most of what they "like" is boring trash with a couple of melodies and maybe a bridge section repeated over and over.
>>
>>64183456
>music
>that doesn't rely on theory
I don't think you understand what music theory is.
>>
>>64182174
I know some theory. I learned guitar from a jazz guitarist and he tried to teach me all the different modes and shit, but it was too complicated for middle-school me so I tried to learn them later after I stopped taking lessons. I also was first-chair trombone for seven years, but I didn't pay attention too much cause I wasn't huge into band. I took a music theory class in college, but it was pretty basic. I understand it but mostly go on intuition.
>>
>>64183665
you come across to me as a massive elitist douchebag.
>>
>>64182778
>>64182883
I've been playing in bands for as long as you've been alive. In my experience, and I've seen no difference in the creativity of musicians who know or do not know theory. You are either creative or not; theory has nothing to do with it.

The difference I've noticed is that the musicians who know theory are more able to accurately communicate their ideas than the ones who don't know it.
>>
>>64183688
well, i don't think you know what accurate quoting and reading comprehension is, since i nowhere talked of music that simply "doesn't rely" on music theory. dork.
>>
>>64183735
Nice backpedaling.
>>
>>64183815
are you mentally stunted for real? it's obviously an ENTIRELY different things to say "there is music that doesn't rely as heavily on theory as other music" than to say "there is music that doesn't rely on theory".
>>
File: ebin powerchord.jpg (24 KB, 534x648) Image search: [Google]
ebin powerchord.jpg
24 KB, 534x648
>>64182288
>I also know the Jimi Hendrix chord

you mean this one?
>>
>>64183909
That's not an E7#9
>>
>>64182267
So why aren't you famous
>>
>>64182174
yeah I know theory and orchestration, composition, etc, and also play about 8 instruments. Studied music at university, majoring in composition.

Have played in bands for 10 ish years, have had pieces recorded by full orchestras and chamber groups. Mostly focus on writing fugues and film soundtracks these days, have left the band world. Also taught myself accordion over the last year or so. Learned a lot of traditional russian and french songs, as well as selected other folk tunes, irish, american, etc.
>>
>>64183964
>Studied music at university,
Can I get some fries with that hahahahhahhahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahaha lmao i'm a STEM major btw
>>
>>64184010
I dont understand.
Is this some kind of american thing?
>>
>>64183851
Theory describes music. Not the other way around.

You shouldn't be saying it at all. Even the most basic Blues can be described by Music Theory-- I-IV-V chord progressions, as well as simple chord construction in general.
>>
>>64183964
So uh, mind teaching me?
>>
>>64183961

Because I'm not a frontman. I've worked with people you've probably heard of, though.
>>
Not really. I mean I know how to read music, understand intervals, and know a bit about keys and stuff but nothing major. I've played enough by ear to know what chords I want.

And it's not like knowing music theory automatically makes you a good songwriter or performer. There are lots of people who study theory expecting it to get them somewhere but they still can't write good hooks or anything -- just because you're playing the write chords and using the write scales to write melodies doesn't mean it's good.
>>
>>64184041
Like who?
>>
>>64184026
Yea we punish and make fun of people for pursuing creative goals.

What's wrong with that?
>>
>>64184039
Why should I do that? teach yourself, or go to university like I did.
>>
>>64184046
WOW meant right instead of write haha
>>
>>64184048
no wonder your country is so stunted artistically :^)
>>
>>64184075
>if I don't like it, it's stunted artistically
And now you're losing the credibility you tried so hard to create
>>
>>64184093
Show me one good contemporary american composer who isn't minimalist
>>
>>64184059

>go to university like I did

Yeah, let me spend 20,000$+ for a shitty degree when I can just learn on the internet. I just wanted to learn some basic stuff, you know?
>>
studied classical violin for 12 of my 18 years of living
i know music theory and believe me it is absolutely unnecessary for listening to music

this whole ">he doesn't know music theory" thing is a stupid meme
>>
>>64184114
very well
https://www.musictheory.net/

go nuts
>>
>>64183931
thank you
>>
>>64184129
Yeah, I'll stick with tabs.
>>
>>64183092

>Smells like teen spirit
>I-IV-V

I don't know much about music theory but I know this is wrong.
>>
>>64184105
Define "good"
>>
>>64184105
George Gershwin
Leonard Bernstein
Duke Ellington
Dave Brubeck

the list literally goes on
>>
>>64183092
I-vi-IV-V doesn't sound like radiohead at all lol.
>>
>>64184150
it isn't hard

shit is pretty clearly explained there

seriously, just focus on that shit for an afternoon and experiment - if you can't pick up something new from that site after going through the first few modules, then you're just uncreative
>>
>>64184193
"Having written at least one enjoyable piece of music"

who am I kidding, you dont know anything about contemporary US composers
>>
>>64184205
>contemporary
>ie. still alive
>>
File: head.gif (982 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
head.gif
982 KB, 500x281
>>64184247
oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck im sorry oh fuck
>>
>>64184230
>enjoyable
So you are asking me to name things I enjoy or you enjoy?
>>
I'm pretty well versed in tonal theory but I'm not very strong when it comes to atonal theory and macro analysis
I'm kind of a shit musician though, in terms of playing well
>>
>>64184105
Eric Whitacre
Hanz Zimmer
John Williams

Part of the problem is that most modern classical music is either minimalist or avant-garde as fuck
>>
>>64184327
whitacre is a nope (lol dubstep and orchestra!), the other two are film composers, zimmer is awful.

The only good US composers I can think of have non-US backgrounds. Lera Auerbach who is heavily influenced by soviet modernism and grew up in Russia until age 16, and Mohammed Faiurouz who is strongly arabic influenced.
>>
>>64184400
How about John Luther Adams?
>>
>>64182883
Because most musicians don't use theory to write music. Theory is mostly used as a language to communicate with others about music and to make it easier to teach and digest. most good musicians just have become so accustomed to their instrument(s) that they can just play what is in their head and it all comes natural, without needing to think in terms of theory. It doesn't apply to everybody and everybody is different, but most good musicians are ear trained and can improv by ear because knowing theory is pretty much just supposed to help you bridge the gap between the abstract and the concrete, to help you organize ideas and thoughts. Knowing the theory doesn't bridge anything if your ideas suck and you don't have a well developed ear alongside a strong grasp on your instrument. At the same time, not knowing theory makes it hard to progress into more complex ideas because it becomes hard to keep everything straight and delve into them with context. It's like trying to learn physics without numbers in a way. You can know plenty of practical things, but if you want to understand complex ideas, you are greatly helped by creating a system by which to quantify your observations.
>>
>>64184030
Still I don't understand how it's wrong to say that the music of King Crimson relies more on (applying learned concepts of) music theory than that of The Ramones.
>>
>>64184427
minimalist

Robert Kyr
Mark Applebaum
Jennifer Higdon
Gloria Coates
William Bolcom
Michael Daugherty
John Corigliano
Alvin Curran

the list goes on (probably)
>>
>>64182288
>the ones that sound like castle music

lel
>>
>>64184787
That's because you don't understand what music theory is
>>
>>64182174
I know my modes, that's all
>>
I taught myself piano. I'm pretty sure I know most basic music theory naturally. Every time I read music theory guides, I already know most of it.
>>
>>64182174
At first, I hated music, my teacher was a major bitch, she was a Serbian opera master, and acted like a Cunt, but then there was one year where she wasn't at the school, and I had an amazing teacher, he knew how to Teach, and with in that small time period I learned more about music theory than I did in the four years I went to that school, I had started playing guitar before he Mary poppinsed into our school and the theory only helped
>>
>>64182253
Hey baby wanna hear about the circle of fiths
>>
>>64184899
>Mark Applebaum
hahaha. the "concerto for florist and orchestra" guy. lolno

Caroline Shaw is the only other non-minimalist US composer of worth, and she only really wrote one good piece
>>
>>64182650
he's a pretty outsider punk rock musician
half of the band Half Japanese with his brother Jad
not for everyone
Kurt Cobain was a fan and Daniel Johnston collaborated with Jad in the '80's
>>
My music theory: if I can't play it, it sucks.
>>
>>64185517
What?
>>
>>64184172
yeargs its I-IV-III-V
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.