[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I feel like I was born in le wrong generation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 7
File: 9NvMCx.png (207 KB, 495x495) Image search: [Google]
9NvMCx.png
207 KB, 495x495
What do you respond?
>>
me too, I could go for a good lynching.
>>
> shiggy diggy dot jpayg

I pronounce > as "meme arrow"
>>
me too
>>
>>64178652
came here to say this
>>
>>64178652
Kill yourself then is most often my response.
>>
Time is cyclical. The past will come around again.
>>
>>64178652
masha'allah brother
>>
scarufficopypasta.txt
>>
i n t e r n e t
>>
>>64178652
I legit told a girl saying this shit to me to listen to Pom Pom and she stopped talking to me
>>
you are right, life is shit nowadays
>>
>>64178670
Memoo area
>>
if it's related to music I respond by saying there are thousands of albums that come out every single month, covering all genres, plenty of those albums are throwbacks to old generations. If you can't find something to like about this generation you aren't looking very far.

Most of these people are listening to top 40 radio and making judgements without realizing that top 40 radio was shit in whatever generation they're fetishizing as well.
>>
>>64179092
>thousands of albums that come out every single month
wtf no

maybe 100, 200 if its super busy
>>
>>64179122
RYM generally has record of 900+ a month at least and RYM lacks a shit ton of very very small indie bands.
>>
Agree, the Internet age is a cesspool where no genuine human interaction takes place.
>>
>>64179092
But most music that comes out today is shit and theres like max 2 albums more worthy than pre 2010s shit and even then its only that level Maybe once every 8 Years. Accept it,music is dead.
>>
Nod understandingly.
I wish I could've been one of the original junglists, one of the original dubstep heads
>>
>>64178986
Such an amazing song
>>
>>64179122
Internationally there is an ungodly amount of music on a monthly basis.
>>
>>64179131
wtf guess I need to start checking there

I just use it for custom charts and thats it
>>
File: indie.jpg (84 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
indie.jpg
84 KB, 500x475
>>64179144
>you will never be a scene pioneer
>you will soon be too old to even keep in touch with the scene
why even bother listening to music
>>
>>64178652
>Iktf. I wish I could go back to the days when we had to go to the square to listen to the troubadours
>>
>>64178806
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

You asked for it.
>>
>>64179301
WISH WE COULD GO BACK

TO DA GOOD OLD DAAAAAYYS
>>
>>64179301
>be be in cave
>Gu play rocks
>rocks be flints
>lose home
>>
>>64179388
Gu's tunes always were fire.
>>
>>64178652
I've never actually come across people like this. Probably because I make a point to only surround myself with people who aren't fucking retarded.
>>
>>64179345
not really you fucking jokester.
>>
>>64178652
I say ''if you prefer older music, fair enough, you don't have to listen to the latest releases''.
>>
My cousin looks like a Raven haired sersh and she's DTF. What do
>>
>>64180075
F
>>
>>64178652
Remind them that the proliferation and ease of distribution of music that allows them to readily judge music over generations is a product of the generation they were born into. They should be grateful.
>>
i feel like i am talking to le wrong person
>>
Can anyone actually explain why you MUST listen to new music?
>>
>>64180141
Why wouldn't you?
>>
>>64180075
post pics
>>
>>64180075
F
>>
>>64180152
Why MUST you?

Everyone is acting like its a necessary prerequisite for a music fan.
>>
>>64180175
>acting like
how so?
>>
>>64180175
otherwise you're a genre fag
>>
>>64180198
see: this thread (except one post)

>>64180209
What?
>>
>>64180175
I think that if you're not looking for more music, or at least interested in what people are doing with it now-a-days, than you're doing yourself a disservice. there is so much music out there that there has to be something that you'll like.
>>
File: download.jpg (3 KB, 116x116) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
3 KB, 116x116
>>64178652
"BOYS LIKE YOU ARE A DIME A DOOZEEN"
>>
>>64178652
i feel like you´re a hipster shit who pretends to be special just to get special snowflake points. grow the fuck up and drink your starbucks son.
>>
>>64180216
>I think that if you're not looking for more music
You realise how much music there is already?

>or at least interested in what people are doing with it now-a-days, than you're doing yourself a disservice
And lots again from the past you've not explored

>there is so much music out there that there has to be something that you'll like.
Again, as above
>>
>>64180214
thats the only reason I can see for someone not to simply and openly follow new releases

special snowflake syndrome with their precious little favored genres

or 2nd option they are literally and completely delusional rym fags ridiculously attempting to hear only the best music in history first
>>
>>64180239
Or maybe just prefer music styles that already exist and enjoy exploring the plethora of music out there already.
>>
>>64180236
You act like these thing are mutually exclusive when they are very much not.
>>
>>64180251
like I said

genre fags
>>
>>64180256
You do not have to listen to new music to do this. There is a whole smorgasbord of artists and music styles already in existence that you could spend the rest of your life exploring and never listening to anything past 2000.

There is no reason whatsoever everyone MUST listen to all the latest album releases.
>>
For certain types of music, i understand though. Like if you're into stadium rock, it would have been better to be born in a time where you have gone to see the likes of Led Zep, Queen etc. in their prime. Sure you can listen to their music on CD, but its not the same as seeing them live.
>>
>>64180263
Except I said people like exploring, the complete opposite.
>>
You don't listen to enough music.
>>
>>64180283
once you have listened to all the albums on the general essentials there is nothing else worth hearing pre 2016
>>
>>64180273
The problem is when people discredit all music after a certain point, e.g. as in your example discrediting everything after the year 2000, not that there's a whole lot of shit that has already been released and waiting to be discovered so might as well not listen to anything new.
>>
>>64180301
There is more variety between 1950 and 2000 than 2000 - 2016.
>>
>>64180283
well you cant have it both ways if you said "prefer music styles"

look you can do that and be a fan of things that are in fact music but you're not a literal music fan

new music is also the most challenging because it hasnt been vetted yet let alone vetted for years.
>>
>>64180321
I actually agree there and think its naive to write off everything after 2000 on prinicipal BUT, if someone prefers music of the past, so be it, its their ears, that doesn't make them less of a music fan or a pleb just because they don't like Pitchforks latest BNM.
>>
>>64180348
What would this site be if you didn't give people shit for having opinions
>>
>>64180332
>well you cant have it both ways if you said "prefer music styles"
Yes, the plethora that were more prominent then opposed to now, there are lots of them

>you're not a literal music fan
Utter bullshit

>new music is also the most challenging
lolwut, false and irrelevant
>>
>>64180327
>there is more variety over a 50 year period than a 16 year period
Gee, who fucking knew?
>>
File: 1460893529999.gif (2 MB, 361x281) Image search: [Google]
1460893529999.gif
2 MB, 361x281
>>64180306
>Somebody actually believes this
>>
>>64180273
who cares, shut the fuck up. i listen to whatever the fuck i want, including new music. if you got a problem come see me, stupid fag shut the fuck up mind your business
>>
>>64180359
anti-wrong generation is just as retarded as le wrong generation
>>
>>64180397
>who cares, shut the fuck up

I wasn't the one who started the thread and made all the posts shitting on people for enjoying older music like you MUST listen to the latest FotM or you're a redditor pleb
>>
>>64180366
how the fuck is new music not the most challenging? it sure as hell gets you out of your little genre comfort zone.

and like I said its also the least vetted unless you're talking about some 40 year old shoebox demos
>>
>>64180412
How is it? Just because its new and hasn't been ''vetted'' doesn't make it more challenging, unless you take critics word as gospel.

And why do you keep going on about genres? Do you think people who prefer old music only like dadrock or something?
>>
>tfw I wasn't before before the Americanization of my country, when most of the music here was just classical and folk
>tfw I'll never make a living traveling around my country town to town playing accordion in dance bands like my grandpa did
>>
>>64180175
I think it is good to stay up to date.
Music is like a conversation.
People are constantly trying to respond to what is around them and what has gone before them.
No matter of research after the fact is going to give you as much detail on a specific moment as being there and living it.
>>
>>64180348
But it is a selective rejection of music not necessarily because of what it sounds like but because of the release date.
>>
>>64180216
There's already more recorded and notated music than you can listen to during your lifetime. Most people who are keen on keeping up with the trends ignore centuries of music history, which I consider much more damaging than not hearing music done in the last decade or so. The only real benefit of listening to new artists is being able to see them live at their prime.
>>
>>64180502
Possibly, or maybe the person has experienced a selection of BNM, discovered they aren't keen on the majority of what they heard and pursue older music exploration instead.
>>
>>64180332
>new music is also the most challenging because it hasnt been vetted yet let alone vetted for years.

Jesus.
>>
>>64180519
Fair enough if someone prefers that but they should still be aware of what is going on, if not by listening to new music but by going to shows or creating music themselves.
>>
>>64178652
Tell them it's probably easier to listen to dadrock today than in the past. Probably wont use the word dadrock though.
>>
>>64180563
>don't explore the vast world of Caribbean Calyspo genres spanning 40 years, numerous countries and islands in a multitude of styles and subgenres
>listen to this new mixtape from another generic rapper who put ''Lil''' in front of their name
>>
>>64180600
Exuma and Beuna Vista Social Club are the only albums you need from the Caribbean.
>>
just a tip from a retard: follow small labels (the smaller the better) if you want fresh new music, or maybe get involved in your local scene, just tell pitchfantano and the likes to fuck off

chances are you'll run into a lot of revivalism but it's worth it tbf
>>
>>64178652
"You'll get over that when you're older, hopefully."
>>
>>64179122
bandcamp alone probably brings in bigger numbers than that desu
>>
>>64178652
Kill yourself
>>
>>64180175
If you don't listen to the newest or contemporary music, you aren't much of a music fan.

At best, you're a genre fan or a nostalgia fan. You are looking for a particular feeling or feelings that music elicits in you, but you probably don't actually give a damn about music. If you did, you'd just listen to music instead of being so focused on what it does for you.
>>
>>64180690
That is the most retarded post I've read today, well done.

And I've been in a Grimes thread already.
>>
>>64180708
Congrats on your reaction, but I didn't mean to trigger you. Care to point out how I'm wrong, or is it just gonna be senseless bullshit?
>>
Even though Wrong Generation'ers are usually motivated by a need to feel superior or more cultured than their peers, I think there's a lot of truth to the claim that music is worse than ever, at least "popular music," and that includes releases from the so-called "indies." (I'm not considering the art and academic music scenes).

What I think damaged the quality of music post-00s was the proliferation of the MP3 and then the iPod-to-IPhone/Smartphone.

The MP3 (and high speed Internet connections) made a relatively expensive endeavor (music buying) into a cheap/free and accessible commodity.

Yeah, this sounds like a great thing in a vacuum, but now instead of consumers buying an album or two per week, they can conceivably listen to 20 or 30 albums per week.

If you're a pop artist, how do you stay relevant under those conditions? By being "catchier," louder, and more accessible. And this has been quantified. A few studies have shown that popular music sounds more similar than ever.

And with the aforementioned proliferation of portable music devices, people are listening in noisier environments than ever and on shittier equipment than ever (earbuds, smartphone speakers, laptop speakers, bluetooth headphones, etc), resulting in terribly mastered content.

Modern popular music is kind of like fast food that is killing off traditional dining experiences. And the "indies" aren't safe from employing these practices, either.
tl;dr Today's music is samey and sounds like shit, and there's reasons.
>>
>>64180708
>I've been in a Grimes thread already.
my condolences
>>
File: 1460775812270-1.png (240 KB, 664x597) Image search: [Google]
1460775812270-1.png
240 KB, 664x597
>>64180708
>Grimes
>>
>>64180690
>If you did, you'd just listen to music instead of being so focused on what it does for you.

That's the primary reason why people listen to music.

As much as Music Theory students want music to be an "intellectual" art form, it isn't. It's primarily a visceral and emotional one. That's not to say it can't have some intellectual elements, but it still connects on a different, more right brained level.

Now, some musicians and composers are likely greentexting, so I want to be clear than while music creation is an intellectual exercise (so is cooking), music listening isn't (for the most part. And yes, I get that if you're a musician, it's more of an intellectual experience, since you're listening to learn).

The great composers. All that intellectual effort they put into their work was to elicit emotional and visceral responses. Not to show off their compositional cleverness to steeple fingered listeners.
>>
>>64179092
this is usually what I say
>>
>>64178652
>implying that deserves a response
>>
>>64178652
Good, good for you, there is a lot of music in the world, no reason you should like new music the best.
>>
Yet another edgy thread about hating little kids that gets almost 100+ replies
>>
>>64183342
wut?
>>
>>64178662
underrated
>>
>>64180616
being this retarded
>>
>>64183342
Basically this, the right answer to this thread is "who the fuck cares".
>>
>>64179136
says the guy who frequents 4chan. remember: 4chan is not the internet.
>>
>>64180748
Because there's no entry barrier to creating music. This isn't a bad thing, it just leads to more music created. A lot more junk, but more gems as well.
>>
File: 1406313094182.gif (3 MB, 353x209) Image search: [Google]
1406313094182.gif
3 MB, 353x209
>>64178652
I feel like you were too, because now I have to speak to you.
>>
If the people that said this were actively looking for music from the past I think there would be less of a backlash towards them, but as it is the majority of people that claim to have been born in the wrong generation are people who only listen to the most surface level stuff from the past like Queen or the Beatles. They would be taken more seriously if they looked for music from the past like people right now look for music coming out right now. But if they did that it's likely they wouldn't brush off all modern music because they would be competent at digging for music and would be able to find the good stuff coming out.
>>
>>64178662

/thread
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.