[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it a terrible idea to major in music? Im taking a composition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: idkfam.gif (980 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
idkfam.gif
980 KB, 500x250
Is it a terrible idea to major in music?

Im taking a composition class and i really like it though it can be challenging. I have no hobbies besides playing shitty music and watching movies and ive been thinking that i might want to become a composer and maybe try to create music for movies. Am i retarded for wanting to maybe pursue this? Im not dead set on it, but i have been thinking about it a lot lately.
>>
>>64178573
Unless you can really hack it and have inexhaustible inspiration, don't. Major in something else first, so that you have some job or anything.
>>
I did it. I wouldn't undo it. But I'm unemployed and making music in my mom's basement now so there's that.

I'm down to just be a monk though.
>>
Learn a trade. Don't waste valuable years of your life doing something which is almost guaranteed to have an unfufilling outcome. You can still compose music whilst working as a plumber.
>>
>>64179041
true. thanks for this, it has me thinking
>>
>>64179012
idk if i can stay at my moms that much longer
>>
>>64178573
If you want to get serious about music, its the only way.

Highly recommended. I had a piece recorded by full orchestra within the second year of my degree, so its pretty quick and effective at teaching you the ropes.

Being a film composer is highly competitive, you need to know directors, you need to have a good showreel, and a solid website. If you want to do big films, you ideally want to live in LA or London or some other mega hub, where its even more competitive.

Being a composer is not an easy job, even after you've earned the degree. You probably wont be able to make it your full time job unless you have an excellent business sense, and essentially start your own business, with your music as your product.
>>
>>64179295
thanks! this is very helpful
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.