[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Song Cycle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: folder.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1000
Aside from the "le circus music" meme, why haven't you listened to this?

It's essentially an extension of the ideas that you guys appreciate in Pet Sounds and SMiLE, but it ends up an even more important, creative and advanced pop album. In fact, you could even say that it's still unparalleled in complexity by any other pop album.

Not even even trying to start anything between fans of either of these albums, because both are great, but this is essential listening if you like Pet Sounds, SMiLE, or even Sgt. Pepper's.
>>
>le circlus music
>>
>le circlus scaruffi music
>>
>>64172547
It kinda sounds like shit.
>>
>>64172547
>more important
Ehh no. Sgt. Pepper and Pet Sounds were WAY more important and influential albums than Song Cycle.
All the rest of the stuff you said isn't unreasonable tho.
>>
i havent listened to it because i cant find a good enough download of it
>>
Who would want to listen to Bugs Bunny singing broadway showtunes?
>>
>>64172547
it's just a bunch of stupid wacky broadway showtunes
>>
Sleep Cycle
>>
>>64172694
>>64172700
musicals and showtunes were the peak of popular music, don't kid yourselves
>>
Inlike
>>
Coming from a huge fan of Smile and Pet Sounds, I tried listening to this and found it to be terrible. The vocals are awful, and the songs are literally 'lelsowacky'
>>
File: Discover_America.jpg (30 KB, 301x300) Image search: [Google]
Discover_America.jpg
30 KB, 301x300
van dyke park's best album hands down.
>>
>>64172691
enjoy mate

Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle (1967) [FLAC - Stereo Mix]
>pop music that truly raised the standards for what popular music could be
sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CRkyvNiDQg

https://mega.nz/#!GIxlDIAD!SPsrE41wW2b6dir-rjEwyUNYUr2D5HRJaYndooc9dvo

>>64172742
yeah that was obviously a direct reference to the album, I found it pretty funny how indiehead kids were so oblivious that they ended up asking Deakin during the AMA
>>64172808
so basically, you didn't understand it at all? It's not even that inaccessible and it displays the exact same musical concepts as SMiLE, give it another listen if you don't want to be ignorant of an album that was insanely influential in the creation of SMiLE
>>64172887
it's great, but not quite on par IMO at least.
>>
>>64172961
>it displays the exact same musical concepts as SMiLE
(not true, by the way)
>>
van dyke parks looks like the dude in dexter's lab you just wanna punch
>>
File: 1459960603678.gif (988 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
1459960603678.gif
988 KB, 500x350
>>64172961
oh shit, thanks anon
>>
>isn't even a lesbian
>>
>>64172691
SOULSEEK
>>
I get that it's a meme that this is like broadway show tunes, but the first time I heard this that's literally what I thought. That was about 3 years ago and since then it's gone on to be one of my favorite albums.

I think the difference between someone like VDP and Brian Wilson is that there's no romanticized story of suffering. VDP just worked really hard to become an incredible musician and became it. Song Cycle to me is like a really well organized academic work. Like when you read a academic work in the arts and you feel like you learn something but you also find yourself moved by the ideas within. VDP is a person with a deep understanding of American music and this album is like all of American music condensed into an album, especially music from the turn of the century (which is why it gets the show tune references).

When someone like Parks teams up with a Brian Wilson or a Joanna Newsom, you can get works that resonate more with the public because they are easier to access. They interplay less with histories and languages that require a studied understanding of the music. But I think on his own Parks pulled of something really stunning on this album and it'll always be one of my favorites.

I don't really expect 4chan to put in time with this album especially since the meme of it being circus music has already taken off but I hope people give it a few dedicated listens before brushing it off.
>>
>>64172547
>Aside from the "le circus music" meme

It's not a meme, it's a forced meme. Learn the difference, it could save your life.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.