[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys stand taking to normies? I feel like I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 12
File: normies.jpg (66 KB, 500x938) Image search: [Google]
normies.jpg
66 KB, 500x938
How do you guys stand taking to normies? I feel like I can't have a genuine conversation with anyone IRL about music after my experiences on /mu/. I just spend the entire conversation pretending to like some on-the-edge pop artist that the other person thinks is obscure enough to be cool.

>pic related
>>
>>64161197
>sum41, green day, blink182, guns n' roses, ac/dc, rhcp
you're as much of a pleb as the "normies"
>>
File: 1438876405572.jpg (50 KB, 401x401) Image search: [Google]
1438876405572.jpg
50 KB, 401x401
>>64161197
I know it's going to sound awful petty of me but this is my least favourite normie conversation
>"So anon, what kind of music are you into?"
>I like emoe stuff
>"Oh, I love my chemical romance, I used to listen to them all the time when I was a teenager"
>Actually I mean stuff like snowing and moss icon, but nevermind, what kind of music are you into
>"Oh you know, I'll listen to anything that isn't country"
>>
>>64161231
>implying that those bands aren't 100000x better than what is on the radio today or what most normies listen to
>>
File: 1409874164725.jpg (52 KB, 854x504) Image search: [Google]
1409874164725.jpg
52 KB, 854x504
>>64161197
> all these pleb bands
Geepers creepers
>>
>>64161197
It is unacceptable to post such pics as pic related even though you're doing it ironically. And to answer your question, op, you should be able to talk with everybody regardless of their music taste. If you dont like someone just move away.
>>
File: Untitled_1.jpg (41 KB, 475x413) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_1.jpg
41 KB, 475x413
>>64161197
> letting your elitism keep you from having a normal conversation.
Get this aspie out of here.
>>
Not having autism helps
>>
File: 1447861681000.jpg (510 KB, 694x1175) Image search: [Google]
1447861681000.jpg
510 KB, 694x1175
>be weaboo gamur kid
>can't connect with normies
>music seems to be popular
>ditch vidya soundtracks
>start getting into and exploring music to fit in
>suddenly find myself not being unable to connect with their pleb shit tastes
Like, I genuinely tried, and I guess it benefited me by broadening my horizons and giving me more interests, but goddamn.
>>
>>64161197
>>64161231
>>64161278
>>64161284
>Falling for low quality bait.
I swear, half of /mu/ is braindead.
>>
>>64161508
I was this way with sports

>some of my friends are into sports
>i never played or watched sports growing up
>awkwardly quiet while watching games with mates
>they ask me about my favorite teams/players
>I just repeat the same thing the last person said
>spaghetti-city
>decide to learn something about sports so I head to /sp/
>spend a month or two reading up on sports history/statistics/sports betting
>slowly realize that my friends don't know shit about sports
>one of them unironically tries to tell us that Peyton Manning was better than Tom Brady
>another one thinks Jeter was better than A-Rod
>one calls Pele the GOAT
>one argued that russell was on the same level as chamberlain
>realize I've been hanging out with degenerate armchair faggots

I don't know what to do now. I can't let my power-level slip or they might not want to hang out with a /sp/ god any more, but I can't go on listening to their shit
>>
>>64161630
People in general are just fucking retarded.
You and me too.
>>
>>64161630
OP's picture was ironic but the text is actually a real issue tbqh

do you talk music with your friends and pretend to be someone you're not or do you just avoid the subject?
>>
I'm usually good at hiding my weirder musical interests but this has happened to me a couple of times.
>So you're really into music, Anon?
>Yeah.
>What's the weirdest thing you listen to?
>Do you honestly want to know?
>Yes! Show me the most left feild shit you got!
>Play a recoding of Kecak (Indonesian chanting)
>They look at me like my autism is showing.

This bothers me because the entire time we talk about weird music but these people never go past AnCo or Merzbow and think anyone who does is austic.
>>
I've never had a good response telling anyone that NMH is my favorite band. One chick played it on a homemade mixtape at work and even she was a little weirded out when I told her
>>
File: DeerEatingChain.jpg (64 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
DeerEatingChain.jpg
64 KB, 500x375
>>64161742
I just don't bring it up unless people ask, and then I'm just gonna be honest and say what I usually listen to. Usually they will just respond with a "cool" as they have no fucking clue what progressive dreamfunk is and aren't actually interested enough to ask.
>>
I remember back in college I had this indie Tumblr girl react with complete disgust when she found out I like Radiohead.
>>
when does something get so weird that you can't enjoy it?
>>
>>64161865
when the singer goes into repetitive vocal screams because the band can't into transitions
>>
>>64161706
I don't know shit about sports. Wasn't Pele pretty GOAT?
>>
>>64161893
how is that weird
>>
File: disappointment.gif (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
disappointment.gif
2 MB, 640x360
>>64161897
>>
>>64161197

There is a good reason I haven't been to a show with a friend in nearly two years, I'd rather go alone and enjoy the show rather than worry if my friend is bored or not.
>>
>>64161957
>There is a good reason I haven't been to a show with a friend in nearly two years

we know anon

we know
>>
>>64161893
For fucks sake, screams aren't weird.
Real weird is stuff like complete tone shift that makes you wonder if you're still listening to the same album. Anything that makes you react with confusion. At the most, screams are just annoying.
>>
>>64161932
Hey, I said I was completely ignorant. Please explain /sp/god!
>>
>I feel like I can't have a genuine conversation with anyone IRL
As opposed to having genuine conversations here? On /mu/? Are you fucking kidding me? This is some fucked up jokepost, right?
>>
File: 1446104723729.gif (2 MB, 245x138) Image search: [Google]
1446104723729.gif
2 MB, 245x138
>>64161957
>tfw go to lsd and the search of god with m8
>we're among like only fifteen people or something actively listening to and watching the show
>everyone having a good time grooving out
>hang out with the band afterwards
Best live show I went to.
>>
most conversations between me and "normies"

>hey anon, what music do you listen to
>oh, a lot of stuff a lot of art rock and prog rock but i dont limit myself, hbu
>i listen to linkin park/justin bieber/green day/21 pilots/insert other shitty musician here
>oh well thats not really my thing but i guess thats cool

and then the conversation carries on into literally any direction that isnt uncomfortable and nobody is left feeling particularly negative
why is it impossible for any of you to have a legitimate conversation without being inept when someone has "normie" music taste
i'd understand if literally everyone you spoke to was an urban outfitters drone but my god you cant handle someone having "bad" taste in music? one of my best friends listens to exclusively 21 pilots and all time low
>>
>>64162115
don't you find it weird that you can't have a conversation with other people about something you have invested so much time into?

you shouldn't have a conversation take a left turn when it gets to a subject you enjoy
>>
>>64162115
I think it's more about when people have a negative reaction to your tastes. It happens every now and then with rude people.
>>
>>64162166
first off, while music is my main interest i can talk about other things
secondly, i never said the conversation stops being about music. it just isnt uncomfortable. i'll talk about exciting concerts or gear or 80s pop or dadrock or even music we both hate
theres always some common ground
>>
File: 1457245986230.jpg (48 KB, 516x437) Image search: [Google]
1457245986230.jpg
48 KB, 516x437
>>64161706
>Bill Russell
>not on Chamberlain's level

I'm from Boston btw
>>
>>64162198
i thought about that but reading some of the replies it's not exclusively about that
>>
>>64162237
rebound babby
>>
>>64162266
>muh 100 points
at least Bill is still living
>>
>>64162304
having sex with 10,000 girls wears you out
>>
>>64162115
>and then the conversation carries on into literally any direction that isnt uncomfortable and nobody is left feeling particularly negative
>why is it impossible for any of you to have a legitimate conversation without being inept when someone has "normie" music taste
Thats not a legitimate conversation. Thats small talk. I'm good enough to hide my level, but I just wan't a friend to talk about music with. Even someone that goes just into basic stuff but shows some interest would be good.
>>
Why does /mu/ have such a hard time not being a dick?
>>
>>64162432
because this is 4chan and people are asocial or just bad at being normal. otherwise we wouldn't come here
>>
How often are you asked "what music do you listen to?". Doesn't it just come naturally when you're listening to music togheter, in conversation or at parties?
I'm really not sure what I'd answer to the question, probably that I listen to a lot of different kinds of music.
>>
>>64162528
>I listen to a lot of different kinds of music

this is the universal signal to abort conversation because you think your tastes are superior
>>
>>64162528
i honestly think it's a really stupid question and very rarely do people ask it to me, but i usually just say "lots of stuff" and then move on with the dumb conversation
>>
I've actually found that if you're blatantly honest and self deprecating, you can avoid coming off as an autist
>hey anon what do you listen to?
>eh mostly entry level hipster trash

Works like a charm.
>>
>>64161197
>Uses dead memes
>>
>>64162528
(when I used to have social interactions out of work) the question was very common, as a way of breaking the ice and knowing each other. Almost as common as "how old are you?". People would usually answer one or two genres, then maybe leave it at that, or maybe ask for examples.

I eventually came up with my standard answer. "Some old rock, some electronic, and maybe jazz too". When asked for examples, I'd go either with the family friendly set (Radiohead, Bjork, Miles) or go full retard just for the sake of it (Tuxedomoon, Monoton, Esbjorn Svensson).
>>
>>64162528
It happens from time to time, I've had people think I'm shitting them because the name "shoegaze" sounds too ridiculous.
>>
>>64161197
>so anon what music are you into?
>oh i dont really like music
>>
>>64162742
but it's really such a stupid question. it's like asking "so what's your favorite color?" i dunno you dumb bitch i don't have one who gives a fuck about that shit
>>
>>64162528
"I listen to quite a lot of different types of music but lately I've been listening to a lot of *broadly recognized genre*"

Rock, Punk, Blues, Jazz, "Indie", Electronic. I try and limit myself. I used to be a turbo-autist that would say "A lot of shoegaze lately" or "Quite a bit of Anarcho-Punk". Would you be surprised that I had no friends for about two years?
>>
>>64162817
Media and fucking colors aren't even remotely the same.
>>
>>64162909
it's the same basic kind of thought.
"oh for me to know this person better instead of just talking to them and seeing how comfortable they feel talking about what they like lets ask them a dumb stupid question about their taste which isn't going to matter for shit"
honestly most of my friends don't even remotely share the same tastes as i do. people who ask that kind of shit are at kindergarden levels
>>
>>64162895
>tfw I tell people I'm into indie music and they have no idea what that entails
>tfw I try to drop some broadly recognizable band names like the shins, decemberists, belle and sebastian, swans, st. vincent
>tfw they have no clue who any of those groups are
>tfw they think I'm trying to be obscure and trendy
>tfw I retreat away slowly
>>
>>64162934
the tastes don't need to match but each person should have some conception of the artists the other person is talking about so they have common ground to discuss music

for instance, i'm not an avalanches fan but I can certainly talk about some similar bands or that genre of music. same with country music, I don't like most of it but I at least know some of the artists and their style

when I bring up bands I like it's just blank looks
>>
>>64162935
Fucking this, this happens way too fucking often. Sometimes it's not even a remotely obscure band. Like literally shit that's played on the radio.
>>
>>64162964
>common ground to discuss music
but why does that matter? why would that even be considered a normal conversation? unless you both know a lot about music, why would you ask that to someone when you clearly just listen to what's on the radio? it's dumb stupid small talk. no one in any level in a friendship talks about that shit, unless for some reason you're both really into music. so why go there at all? it's so stupid.
>>
>>64162935
Mate, Decemberists are not broadly recognisable. These days even Bob Dylan isn't broadly recognised by the masses. I was talking to a group of people at work all, of us within a year of each other, and they all had no idea who he was. The closest one of them came was "Didn't he die in the sixties?" Unless he was a purist that despises his electric period of course, but I doubt that.

If I do mention somebody like Animal Collective, which I did recently, I'll elaborate and say something that makes them somewhat familiar. My exact description was "A lot of people compare them to The Beach Boys if you replaced the guitars with synthesisers, but their early work was really weird an experimental. They're great fun to listen to." Inside I die a little with my descriptions, but it's more preferable to dying inside when I see them glaze over and leave.
>>
>>64163016
>why is discussing music considered a normal conversation

wut
>>
>>64163062
talking about a specific song on the radio is normal, but talking vaguely about music isn't, no. i'm sorry you've only met shitty people in your life.
>>
>>64163041
>If I do mention somebody like Animal Collective, which I did recently, I'll elaborate and say something that makes them somewhat familiar. My exact description was "A lot of people compare them to The Beach Boys if you replaced the guitars with synthesisers, but their early work was really weird an experimental. They're great fun to listen to." Inside I die a little with my descriptions, but it's more preferable to dying inside when I see them glaze over and leave.
>"Who are the Beach Boys?"
>>
>>64163041
what would be the hip hop equivalent of the decemberists?

mf doom? shabazz palaces? or is it more obscure than that? Because I don't ever listen to hip-hop but I know at least that level of hip hop obscurity
>>
>>64163088
Then they deserve a dagger up the clitoris and I want nothing to do with them.
>>
>>64163088
>beach boys
>OH, i wanna hold your haaaaannnnnddd
>>
I just say "my music tastes are really weird"
and if they ask then I just list off the most obscure groups I know so that they'll avoid a conversation.

Autistic, I know.
>>
>if you don't like x you have no fucking taste
/mu/
is there actually more to this board?
>>
>>64163096
I guess De La Soul might be close. Historically very famous (my mum and dad know them, if that's a good metric) but these days only known by those that follow the genre. The Decemberists aren't mainstream, but if you keep up with indie music then you'll know them.
>>
>>64162935

Holy shit this. I know I have "differentâ„¢" tastes in certain things, but I never do it just to be trendy. In fact I put a lot of effort into not seeming pretentious or arrogant about what I'm into.
>>
>>64163139
That's a good comparison
It's kind of funny, sometimes I ask people what genre they listen to and I end up knowing more about the genre than they do.
>>
File: 4wjWweJ.gif (2 MB, 298x159) Image search: [Google]
4wjWweJ.gif
2 MB, 298x159
>>64163013
this hurts me
>>
>>64161197
I think the better question is how do you talk about music to other /mu/tants? So far my convos have been like
>You hear X's new album?
yeah it's pretty good
>Yeah, I like how it's different from the older stuff
If you like X, check out Y.
>Alright cool thanks
>>
>>64164075
the only way you would know if they were a /mu/tard is by asking them, which you don't actually do, right?
>>
>>64164141
Sometimes it comes up. I mean it's not like this is an obscure place or anything.

But I meant someone with about an equal power level
>>
>>64161197
I gave that up a long time ago and now I just spew my thoughts onto /mu/ and go to concerts alone. It's actually perfect
>>
>>64164165
then you vehemently deny every having visited this place while recommending nmh, death grips, and swans

they'll think you're an actual self-discovered patrician and not just a hivemind spouting memes
>>
File: 1460991641025.png (206 KB, 413x386) Image search: [Google]
1460991641025.png
206 KB, 413x386
>Yo, What music you into
>y-you too
>Haha i love vertigo
True, factual story
>>
>>64164196
but how do you talk to someone with an equal power level? how do those conversations go?

Also the reason I came to /mu/ was because I self-discovered NMH and heard this place was obsessed with it. Now I listen to Swans, Death Grips, and Animal Collective.
>>
>>64161197
One time I got really drunk and tried to show my friends Bieber's latest singles because I think they are actually legitimately good pop songs.
Whoops.
>>
I know this guy who literally never listened to music in his life until he was like 21, then he started getting into soundcloud. Basically he listens exclusively to "tropical house" remixes of top 40 shit, nu-disco mashups and stuff that was in the charts in the early to mid 00s, and goes on and on about how into music he is and what a hipster he is etc. I'm a pretty private guy about my taste because I know most people aren't interested but when he first started 'getting into music' he'd always nag me about what I listen to. So I'd link him to stuff, and he'd start off all "wow, this is so old. why do you listen to so much old music?" (anything that came out before 2010s) "this sure goes on. where's the singing?" (anything with an instrumental intro longer than like 30 seconds) "their voice sounds horrible!" (anything that isn't heavily processed and pitch-corrected, although he also claims to hate top 40 and autotune)

Anyway, I gradually just stopped bothering although it took him a very long time to shut the fuck up about whatever this week's soundcloud sensation was whenever I saw him. I never went full autist on him but I think he single-handedly destroyed both my tolerance for plebs and my willingness to be open about my taste. It's the fucking arrogance of someone who's never listened to a full album or anything even semi-challenging in his life talking down to you time after time. Fortunately we're no longer really in the same social circle so I don't see him as much.
>>
>>64161508
There is no such thing as "pleb" and "patrician". Any music that anyone listens to has some sort of merit. Even if only to them. The reasons they listen are irrelevant as an attempt to appreciate more "complex" or "abstract" "art" is no more or less than listening for surface level appreciation.
>>
>>64161760
>actually listening to kecak
you realize the origin of kecak, don't you
>>
>>64161893
Death Grips?
>>
>>64164241
Talk about whether 4'22" is genius or drivel.
>>
>>64162115

Surely you could hold a conversation about Green Day? Unless you completely skipped them or you're too "patrician" to enjoy their earlier work at least
>>
>>64165115
i was thinking of some of the shitty anco songs but death grips also qualifies
>>
>>64161197
Thats one hot meme OP
>>
>>64161760
>"play me some weird music anon"
>plays weird music
>they get weirded out by weird music
why do people do this?
>>
>>64165291
thx brodie
>>
>>64161197
>meet up with friends for first time in a year
>were disgusting normies last time I saw them
>see he has a pretty big vinyl collection so think it might be ok (in retrospect this should have been my first clue)
>he asks what we want to listen to
>I suggest some drone
>puts on fucking Eleh
>sigh internally
>finally get to the end and ask half jokingly if he's got anything better
>Keijo Haino
>suffer halfway through and then make my excuses to leave

How do I meet non-plebs? Is there like somewhere secret where you guys all meet up?
>>
>>64161197
>via 9gag
>>
>>64165545
that's where all the dankest memes start
>>
File: normie music.png (54 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
normie music.png
54 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>64161857
why tho
>>
>>64161197
talking about music irl is a sign that you're a boring person
>>
>>64164231
incredibly underrated post
>>
>>64166618
Maybe if the extent of your knowledge is comparing everything to Pet Sounds. I would know, I'm that guy
>>
>>64166618
this
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.