[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Despite Millennials (or Generation Y if that is what you refer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Indie girl clothes.jpg (124 KB, 500x388) Image search: [Google]
Indie girl clothes.jpg
124 KB, 500x388
Despite Millennials (or Generation Y if that is what you refer to them as) claiming to like "everything", do you think Indie music (indie pop, indie rock, indie folk, etc.) and EDM the main music for millennials just as Grunge/Alternative and Rap/Hip-Hop was for Generation X?
>>
sure, yeah
>>
>>64159819
no

grunge and rap is revolt music that was made in opposition of the mass machined music of those eras.

Indie was originally a part of the same movement during that era, however now that entire movement has lost focus, reformed, and pulls influence directly from the source that it once opposed.
>>
>>64159932
>grunge and rap is revolt music that was made in opposition of the mass machined music of those eras.
that's what they wanted you to think, but honestly no it's the same shit with a different image on it
>>
>>64159965
i lived in seattle during the 80s... grunge was very much alive during that time, except you'd never hear it on the radio because the music labels were still pushing 10+ years of glam rock and new wave.

Indie pop and EDM have been embraced by the music industry since they were first established. There was never a "hey labels won't pick us up, but let's keep making this sound cause we know it's good" with those genres because they are influenced by the music labels have already been pushing on the masses.
>>
>>64159819

Old guy here. One of the most obnoxious things to me about your "indie rock" is it's not fucking indie rock. Indie is short for independent rock, as in 'not on a major label' rock. 90 percent of the bands you kids call 'indie rock' are not fucking 'indie'.

I'm gonna go calm down now
>>
>>64159932
Grunge was used very early as a tool to popularize alternative rock. And ever since the first rapper walker into a studio was Hip Hop was a commercial affair.
>>
>>64159819
EDM has been popular since the 90s
>>
File: Courtneybarnett-miamimarketta-1.jpg (194 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Courtneybarnett-miamimarketta-1.jpg
194 KB, 1280x853
>>64160154
So is Courtney Barnett a part of the 10% (I don't listen to much Indie music by the way)?
>>
>>64160221
but bands didn't purposefully make grunge to make alt rock popular. alt rock was promoted by the popularity of grunge that occured naturally and the major labels capitalized on it after it's popularity. Grunge was made in opposition of the machine, not for it.

Similar to grunge, rap wasn't created as part of a strategy for major labels to make more money. it was cultural revolt music in response black oppression... then once it reached fever pitch popularity, the major labels capitalized on it.

Indie rock and EDM were made solely to be capitalized on and adhere to the assumed 'pop ideal'...
>>
>>64160154
The meaning of genres change all the time, really "indie" has always been an umbrella term its definition just changed to a style rather than a ideology. Just look at alternative which used to mean rock music that the mainstream wouldn't pick up and now look at it.
>>
File: Goldie.jpg (39 KB, 615x455) Image search: [Google]
Goldie.jpg
39 KB, 615x455
>>64159819
>just as Grunge/Alternative and Rap/Hip-Hop was for Generation X?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.