[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Synthesiser thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 12
File: 20160418_063608.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160418_063608.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
Aren't they pretty?
>>
No.
>>
File: monotron_duo.jpg (59 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
monotron_duo.jpg
59 KB, 800x500
Pretty expensive. The only synth I'll ever have is pic related
>>
+ a monotron delay/headphones and you'll have the best train journeys possible
>>
>>64152998
fap material, >>>/b/

too good 10/10 I love synths
>>
Someone tell me how to learn how to play The Keys
>>
I only got $250.
What synths am I able to get right now?
>>
>>64153584
a used microkorg
>>
File: yamaha-ps-20-802595.jpg (120 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
yamaha-ps-20-802595.jpg
120 KB, 1024x768
I know it's not a synth but when my check comes I'm getting a PS-20
>>
What's the best use of synths in any album?
>>
Just ordered a Volca Bass. Pretty excited about that.
>>
>>64153660
Rush - A Farewell To Kings
>>
>>64153584
save up and get a decent one
>>
>>64153584
Bastll Microgranny
>>
favorite unique/boutique/handmade synths under 800 dollars?
>>
>>64152998
pieces of shit
>>
>>64154015
what makes you say that
>>
>>64154006
Teenage engineering op-1
>>
>>64154006
Have you seen the tangible instruments a
arpeggio? it's only 200, looks neat.
>>
>>64152998
>nord lead
sigh
>>
>>64154006
Critter & Guitari pocket piano is awesome, their new Organelle looks interesting.
>>
I hope we keep seeing more and more reproductions of classic synths.
>>
What do you guys have against nord leads?
>>
>>64153604
whatever you do, don't get a microkorg. literally a memesynth.
>>
>>64153584
go for a casio cz 1000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDHz1bLbRr4 (same engine)
>>
>>64155879
being used by a lot of artists doesn't make it a bad entry level synth tho
>>
>>64153636

protip : the speaker on this model is not an ashtray nor a semen receptacle.

dirty/10
>>
File: DSCF0518a.jpg (397 KB, 920x1754) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0518a.jpg
397 KB, 920x1754
>>64153087
Just buy used, senpai.
>>
>>64153660
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUVmcKcTZ4A
Mort Garson's Plantasia is always the answer.
>>
>>64152998
>>64153636
>>64156558

guitarfag here. Why don't you keyboard artfags just get a midi controller and use the 200 dollar laptop you post on /mu/ with to make your stupid fart noises?
>>
>>64156589
Because we can afford it, troll-kun.
>>
>>64156589
I like your trolling style.
>>
File: 1_Totale-auf-Orgel.jpg (171 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1_Totale-auf-Orgel.jpg
171 KB, 1200x900
>mfw there's a roland sh 2000 near me for $250

should I get it guys
>>
>>64156589
The answer to that question is the same as the answer to why people still buy MIA Fenders when stuff made in Mexico has just as good craftsmanship.

Authenticity, workflow and a slight improvement in sound.
>>
>>64156589
So this is why /gg/ gets a bad name. Can't you contain your faggotry to the general? Some of us aren't cunts.
>>
>>64156894

I was just joking with 'stupid fart noises'. I am genuinely curious why synth guys buy thousands of dollars worth of old, rickety analog synths when they could get all the sounds for ~300 dollars
>>
>>64156971
It isn't quite the same. Some stuff has been perfectly emulated but for other stuff the real thing is still the real deal.
>>
>>64156971

and fwiw I play in a band with synths and literally only 2/5 keyboards in that basement are fully functional. Way too many knobs and switches and things to go wrong on these things.
>>
>>64156971
Different circuits/processes behave differently. You can approximate the patches quite a bit, but there aren't a lot of analog synth models that just sound the same and it's the same case with VSTi. It's the differences in design and how they affect the mindset of the person making the patches, all a matter of workflow.

Character matters a lot, and while I agree many people don't know enough to justify their purchases, it's very different, working with VSTi and with analog synths.
>>
>>64156971
For the same reason people have preferences in guitar amps- the sound. I mean, why buy a Fender Twin, a Marshall or an Orange amp, when you can just buy a Peavey? Right?
>>
>>64157117

I have the same questions for blueslawyers and indie kids that spend 300 dollars on 'boutique' guitar effects. The amps is a whole other league, if you are messing around with that shit you're probably professional or just legitimately rich.
>>
>>64156971
Same reason we spend thousands of pounds on tonewood monstrosities when we could get all the basic sounds from a £100 Strat knock off.
>>
>>64156971
Due to the sheer amount of modulation and different types of synthesis really

Every guitar from short scale to baritone to bass EMG or passive are still relatively the same but they way you approach an FM synth, wavetable, subtractive analog synth, or a modular that can mix all aspects is a whole different story

Tie that in with the fact that you can automate and compose any amount of synths you want at any time it's just like having more paints on a palette

Now coming down to how many you buy is different from person to person. One person might be happy with nothing but a dx7 and effects but at the end of the day people get what they think they need to inspire them to create
>>
>>64156971
The answer to this question:

Like many guitarists they mistakenly think if they can buy enough "authentic" equipment then they can pass through the gates of legitimacy and become professional musicians. They'll won't understand that you can't buy talent until it's too late, that if you're not already working in the industry by the time you're 20 then there's a 99% chance then you never will.

Then they'll abandon music between the ages of 30-35 just like every other adult does when they realize they're not going to win the "lottery". Maybe if you're a male you'll pick it back up for a couple of midlife crisis years, or after you're retired.

Screencap this post, kids. You've been informed.
>>
>>64158746
>nobody plays music because they enjoy making music
>every musician is trying to become a super famous musician making millions of dollars

Yeah, fuck off. I love playing and I never want it to be my job
>>
>>64154169
https://reverb.com/item/217770-dave-smith-instruments-mopho-keyboard-brand-new
>>
>>64158814
meant to reply to
>>64154006
>>
>>64158415
This

Also workflow. I just lose focus and get bored when I play with software (or just one synth even)

I prefer to sequence alot of hardware up. But I actually prefer things like the korg volcas with internal sequencers to write stuff. It just makes it faster. It's the same reason I barely play guitar/bass/drums unless someone else im with someone.
>>
>>64158787
Yeah, I've got some bad news for you.

If you actually loved playing music then you'd seek out other musicians, and you'd seek out the most talented and driven ones to learn from and play with. The most talented and driven musicians will be professional in every circumstance, because you have to delicate yourself to the point where there wouldn't be any time for a "day job" to get to that level.

So you can choose: either you actually love playing or you don't. If you do then it will be your one and only "job" without question.
>>
>>64158909
Or, and this might be a wild notion, not everyone has to be out to be a professional and loving something doesn't mean you can't be a hobbyist. Crazy, I know.

Stop projecting your views on him, you fucking prick.
>>
>>64158909
> you have to delicate yourself to the point where there wouldn't be any time for a "day job" to get to that level
>The most talented and driven musicians will be professional in every circumstance
>Then they'll abandon music between the ages of 30-35 just like every other adult does when they realize they're not going to win the "lottery"

So you cant be a musician unless you devote all your time to being a musician while also finding like minded musicians that are all professionals?

You could work your entire life at playing and collaborating while sacrificing to live to sustain your musical needs and never achieve what you say is a set cutoff point at which you should just quit being a musician

You've got a real bleak outlook on music to also assume that I'd not love jamming and recording with other people but you're clearly some kind of bitter elitist projecting your insecurities on me
>>
>>64158909
You don't need to work with others. Most of electronic music is solo artists.

Secondly alot of professionals still have day jobs. Pretty sure all of Lamb of God or one of those bands have day jobs they work when they're not touring or recording.
>>
>>64158909
Yeah, I've got some bad news for you.

They guy you were replying to is actually right.

And you're a blowhard. Stay 'serious' m8.
>>
>>64158976
>doesn't mean you can't be a hobbyist
>hobbyist
That's just another way of saying "failed". As in "Failed musician, now hobbyist".
>>64158985
>under 30 the post
You'll come around in a few years, believe it.
>>64159008
>alot of professionals still have day jobs
Really? Name some. With citations. Seriously.
>>64159064
Nice retort.
>>
>>64158909
Only a Sith deals in absolutes anon.
>>
>>64158909
Just because you're bitter about failing as a musician doesn't mean that others can't enjoy music as a hobby.

Seriously, what happened to give you such a bleak outlook on life?
>>
>>64159083
>under 30 the post
>You'll come around in a few years, believe it.

Come around to what? I've never wanted to be a professional musician unless it was something along the lines of being a session musician. I'd not want to compose works for a living because at that point I'm making a product instead of free expression and at that point to be efficient enough to meet deadlines and make a product my music would suffer from adhering to a standard formula

>That's just another way of saying "failed". As in "Failed musician, now hobbyist".

Who hurt you? Who made you think that you had to make music for someone else and that if you didn't sell enough records that you're done? I play music because it helps me feel the way I want to feel and not to label myself as a creative or make money. I'm not trying to shit on professional musicians but if you think you're either a professional musician or nothing at all you're completely out of your gourd
>>
>>64159093
I'll be honest, the only absolute I observe on a regular basis is music's diminishing role in modern culture. "Diminishing returns", sadly. This Anon >>64159008 had to jump to "electronic music"(composers for the most part) for solo artists, because no pianists (actual musicians) immediately came to his mind.
>>64159161
>a hobby
Yeah, like stamp collecting, right? And you have the nerve to call me bleak?
>>64159176
>I've never wanted to be a professional musician
>unless it was being a session musician
Can you even see yourself in the mirror, Anon? Do you have a reflection?
>and not to label myself as a creative
This is too much self denial, you can't even be honest with yourself.
>>
>>64159176
I feel the exact same way, I'm 30 now and looking to get into making music primarily for myself, and myself only.

I walked away from what could have been a very promising career in the visual arts because I didn't ever want my personal passion to become my professional life unless I had the financial means by which to keep them separate until I could get to the point where I could live off my art while keeping it solely on my terms.

Good art is good art, and talent shines through everything else, even years of being a sycophant to the business.
>>
>>64156589
why don't you just get a midi keyboard and use kontakt libraries instead of buying stupid crap like guitars and amps?
>>64159257
>stamp collecting is boring so all hobbies suck and are lame and are what THE MAN wants you to do after your 9-5 job and your corporate news that you watch while eating your monsanto dinner maaaaaan
>>
>>64153660
Zygoat - Electrophon
>>
>>64159301
>I walked away from what could have been a very promising career in the visual arts because I didn't ever want my personal passion to become my professional life unless I had the financial means by which to keep them separate until I could get to the point where I could live off my art while keeping it solely on my terms.
Within the next five years you'll look back on this and think how precious you were. You've been informed.
>>64159321
Cute.
>>
>>64159257
>Can you even see yourself in the mirror, Anon? Do you have a reflection?

Now you're just being pedantic. You obviously don't give a shit to read my posts. There's a difference between playing an instrument for money and composing and recording works and instead you chose to respond with some bullshit as usual

>This is too much self denial, you can't even be honest with yourself.

Go ahead explain to me how I'm in self denial. I don't spam my soundcloud or link my music anywhere. I play music with myself or others because I enjoy it, I research different methods and try different things, or try to refine ways that have worked for me in the past. I put a lot of time into music but it never feels wasted because it gives me satisfaction that I've created something for myself that can help me view the world differently then I did previously

You call out another anon for jumping to electrionic music because he couldn't think of any pianists in a thread about synthesizers obviously aimed at electronic musicians and after it's all done all you can continue to repeat is 'just wait you'll regret your choices and look back on it with disdain'

You're either incredibly bitter or pretending to be retarded
>>
File: ArpCat.jpg (83 KB, 807x546) Image search: [Google]
ArpCat.jpg
83 KB, 807x546
mfw no synths ITT
just some le serious musician lecturing people
>>
>>64159342
>precious
>cute
>you've been informed
MAYDAY MAYDAY, TRYHARD LEVELS ARE CRITICAL, EVACUATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY
>>
>>64159342
The visual arts world, especially where I was (sculpture) is one in which you never really peak until you're in your 40's or 50's. Same goes for architecture, which was also an option for me (but add a decade onto it.

Right now, I'm on track to be a physician by the time any of those milestones come up, and it's a whole lot easier to jump back into the art/architecture world where I know I have the talent to "make it" when I also have the income of an MD to develop my career with and fall back on.

If I get into music, it'll be no different.

It's a really simple calculation.
>>
>>64159342
>Within the next five years you'll look back on this and think how precious you were. You've been informed.
hey fortune teller man can you also give me the lotto numbers for the next big pot
>>
>>64153604
>>64155879

don't listen to this guy, the microkorg is versatile and used on a bunch of good records
>>
>>64159414
dont listen to this guy

the ms2000 is the same thing but easier to use and not much more expensive
>>
>>64159414
but you can also get a minilogue for only a little more money
>>
>>64159432
this, get an MS2000 or save up for an early gen little phatty (like I am)
>>
>>64159083
www.metalinjection.net/metal-day-jobs/testament-exodus-frontmen-reveal-their-crappy-day-jobs

That's one. There was an article I remember reading on ultimate-guitar where one guy in one of the bigger modern metal bands was talking about day jobs. Not a fan of the band (or metal really) so I don't remember which one.

>>64159257
>This Anon >>64159008 (You) had to jump to "electronic music"(composers for the most part) for solo artists, because no pianists (actual musicians)

You're making the implication that composers aren't musicians? They aren't necessarily performers, but the idea that they aren't musicians is bizzare. And I was actually thinking more about Jarre and Vince Clarke, who can play instruments but generally work on their own. Clarke works with singers, but he does all the music himself.
>>
kek, did unty drop trip or something
>>
File: holy fucking cables.jpg (1 MB, 2166x1624) Image search: [Google]
holy fucking cables.jpg
1 MB, 2166x1624
oh man a synth thread it's been a while. gonna bump with synths I guess. old pic but I've been working on some outrun style stuff live straight to tape for fun. Wish I could record bass well enough though

>>64154006
the mutable instruments shruti was very cool but they discontinued it I believe

>>64156558
jelly of that cz-1. how is working with phase distortion?

>>64156589
guitarfag and keyboard fag here. it's like having a strat and a tele they just do different things
>>
>>64159376
>I play music with myself or others because I enjoy it
>I don't spam my soundcloud or link my music anywhere
>or link my music anywhere
>I've created something for myself
Music is a form of communication. You're in denial if you think otherwise.
>>64159397
>he's going to be a doctor!
>and a sculptor!
>and an architect!
>and a musician!
>and a jack of all trades and master of none!
Haa ha ha! I like you, I'm having fun too.
>>64159463
>exodus
Christ, isn't this some shitty metal band from the 80s? If there's anyone who shouldn't have to get a day job it's some geriatric Dee Snider metal type from the 80s. That shit's just sad.
>making the implication
No, but that's the first thing that came to your mind which illustrated my point. I'd hardly call someone pressing the space bar on a laptop during a concert a "musician" though, but like I said "diminishing returns". That's the point where we're at apparently.
>>
>>64159676
>Music is a form of communication.
Justify this position.
>>
File: 1387324184005.jpg (95 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
1387324184005.jpg
95 KB, 453x604
>>64159676
le serious musician is serious
music is le serious business
>>
>>64159676
>why would i play music alone? then people wouldn't see me doing it! also listen to me the 15863786th uncreative douche to bemoan the state of modern music while having nothing to offer towards it
>>
>>64159715
See
>>64159734
Does this count?
>>
can anyone recommend me some seminal 20th century synth albums (mellotron, Moog, ARP etc)?
>>
>>64159676
wannabeMD/music/sculptor fag here again.

I lost my little brother when he was 18 and I was 21, and it honestly really messed me up.

I currently work as a critical care paramedic and community paramedic in the US. My life and my work has taught me that life is incredibly short, and that the cruelest part of it all is that you have to choose one thing.

I've decided to say "fuck that, I'm going to try to do everything I can". It's a way of making the fact that I'm still here suck less.

To that end, art, music, and architecture fill part of my life and my need to experience something more than day to day life can offer, while medicine fills another part of me and gives me a real sense of purpose. It's a little messed up.

My friends have likened me to V from V for Vendetta, in that I am really good at most everything that I do. I'm a dysfunctional wreck on the inside though, that's for sure.
>>
>>64159756
morton subotnick :
silver apples of the moon or the wild bull
>>
>>64159676
Exodus (also Testament) isn't really like Twisted Sister. tbf neither were mad popular, but they were/are professional musicians.

>I'd hardly call someone pressing the space bar on a laptop during a concert a "musician" though

You're relating Performance to Musicianship. They're not the same thing. It's the same as saying 'Bach didn't play the orchestra, he just wrote it'.
>>
>>64159715
No? Ok. How about this >>64159775 then?
>>
>>64159791
Bach was a composer, little brother.

You're going to have to step it up a bit, I'm losing interest here.
>>
>>64159676
>Music is a form of communication. You're in denial if you think otherwise.

If everyone stuck to the strict literal use for every aspect of art it would make for very dull art

>and a jack of all trades and master of none!

So you get one chance while you're in your twenties to be a musician and if you don't make it you're done but also if you expand your horizons to more fields that makes you a jack of all trades but master of none

Seriously who made you this cynical and bitter. Who destroyed you to the point where you can fail making art and if you cannot make music that succeeds commercially and speaks to people that you failed and why did you let them impact you this much
>>
>>64159828
Ok, officially bored now. No more replies for you!
>>
>>64159821
>Bach was a composer, little brother.

That's literally what he just said in that post

You're not even trying any more, little brother
>>
>>64159853
>Ok, officially bored now. No more replies for you!

But we just got to the juicy bit where we finally found out that you're saying I'm in denial while you've been the one that's in denial the whole time
>>
>>64159821
Again, you're stating that Composers aren't Musicians. Which is wrong.
>>
>>64153660
switched-on bach obviously
>>
>>64159854
>>64159878
>>64159883
Ok, this is it. Really. I'm serious this time*.

Remember, you were informed.

Enjoy my last reply. Love you guys, goodbye.

- MG

(*I'll be back tomorrow)
>>
File: modcancat.jpg (247 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
modcancat.jpg
247 KB, 2048x1365
>>64159821
le serious musician is getting bored oh noes
>>
>>64159961

You all got baited by this rockist. Poor form /mu/.
>>
>>64159961
I was very informed thank you very much

You've inspired me to try to do everything I can to never become as bitter and in denial as you are by being completely honest to myself about what I do and why
>>
>>64156589
I lol'd, thanks anon
>>
>>64159999
>>
>>64159961
please get a trip
>>
Anyone have an OP-1? Can you tell me if it's worth the price, having a portable studio is a very attractive idea to me but i can't tell if it's really that good
>>
>>64160071
It's not really worth the price but there's nothing else in that size that can do everything it does
>>
>>64160056
*teleports behind you*

*takes time from your life you can never get back*
>>
>>64160144
*puts up unbreakable forcefield*
*blasts ur're ass into obilvion*
hehe... its personnel now kid...
>>
What do i have to do to make post-punk stuff?
(Im asking about the full band, not only the synths)
>>
>>64160112
How much time do you need to learn to properly control it?
>>
>>64160228
*ass gone*
*digs under unbreakable forcefield*
*shoots up between your feet*
*licks your taint*
...marry me ...I have lube...
>>
>>64160315
very little

It's fairly easy to use for all the basic features and the sequencing is really quite something

if you do a lot of sequencing, sampling, resampling and internal effects and whatnot it gets a bit more challenging but it's not awful to learn
>>
>>64160383
thanks man. time to save up i guess, and hope they keep making them
>>
>>64160396
I'd suggest looking more into what you really want to specialize in whether it be sequencing, sampling, external effects, etc

The op-1 will do all of them fairly well and in a tiny box but even something like an mpc1000 might be better for straight sequencing and sampling
>>
>>64159629
>how is working with phase distortion?
Pretty fun. I just played with it a bit so far, bought it months ago but commissions kept me busy.
>>
>>64156073
>>64159414
actually all of those bands that used it, used it because of novelty, not because they actually thought it was legit. most of them used actual synths in the studio and got close enough sounds for live shows so that they didn't have to sacrifice their vintage gear.

>minikeys
>4 note virtual analog modeling
>4 fucking notes

and the minilogue is the same, except it's actual analog, but still only 4 note polyphony

pretty much the only legit synth stuff available new today is the stuff coming out from DSI and Moog. No one should bother with Korg or Roland if they're serious about new synths. Vintage is a different story.
>>
>>64160454
well i kinda want to do everything, but mainly make music, not necessarily relying on beats.

I basically want a portable instrument that allows me to make music without a computer. so the op-1 is probably the only thing that falls in that category.
>>
also the op-1 is a straight up toy. you can't be serious about shit with it. i don't understand this new marketplace for memesynths but whatever.
>>
>>64160537
op-1 is not a daw. it will not save multitrack music you make on it, vsts/midis and all. fuck sake, kill yourself.
>>
>>64160537
Well you've got the right pick then. If you have other synths you can sequence all of them with it with all these neat little tricks and features

The sequencer is quite nice and it's easy to daisy chain all your midi stuff and sequence it all from the op-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jzBhx4dT5c

>>64160545
If bands can utilize the casio sk-1 the op-1 is a system 100 compared to it in usefulness

>>64160566
you can save tracks and export them actually I think
>>
>>64160566
>it will not save multitrack music you make on it

explain please, i'm pretty sure they do but maybe you know more
>>
>>64160351
okie dokie
*puts pesis in ur bum*
OH WAIT U DONT HAVE 1 AHAHAHAHA
>>
>>64159997
That cat is just posing in front of somebody else's synth, there's no way a cat can afford a Modcan
>>
what's a good cheap synth for easily noodling around with weird/unique sounds
I'm looking at the alesis ion because I love how it sounds and it seems pretty capable but I'm willing to try something more niche if I like the sound of it
>>
>>64160942
...in my wound then...
>>
>>64161066
IKR? "it matches my coat" typical cat, so vain
>>
>>64161212
dude thats edgey. .. I like it....
>>
>>64161293
...ooo... ..oh.. ..my butt wound has edges...

...be gentle...
>>
I'm looking for a video of a European man slowly talking about his large synth collection

Anybody know what I'm remembering?
>>
>>64161371
search "eurorack" on youtube
>>
>>64161395
>european man with synths
>that must mean he's talking about eurorack
>>
>>64161613
the joke is that that's what all the results would be
>>
>>64161361
>edged for your pleasure
wew
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.