[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to into a record contract
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
My band has gotten a ton of praise and positive comments and feedback on our sound. We've been told we already sound like we should be famous. But how tf do you get signed or noticed by a record label? We want to put out a record but we can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on studio time and pressing discs. Wat do?
>>
post your band
>>
Soundcloud.com/greenrivers
>>
You must be new to being in a band, sheesh
>>
Post a link you nog
>>
>>64151481
this is kinda meh honestly.
>>
>>64151481
Um...Do you realize that your band name is pretty much the same as the band many credit the creation of grunge to right? You might want to change that...
>>
>>64151363
Trump is racist
>>
>>64151780
That's what we need in a president desu
>>
>>64151363
Contact the labels you want to be apart of. No, not Sony or Universal. Something reasonable for someone with no industry experience (presumably), like an indie label some bands you relate to are on. If you are friends with/have previously played with a signed band, this helps tremendously. If you really have that much praise/local success, your numbers will show it to them if you reach out. Theres also many smaller labels that are more interested in a band's sound potential than their numbers. Although they might "sign" you, you might spend a couple of months a year touring but they'll rely on writing/recording on your own time and dollar for the most part.

>>64151481
Get a decent recording set up and do it yourself if you dont have the money to hire someone. A better produced demo or example of your band will change what happens in the long run.
>>
>>64154571
I'll also add that if getting signed is your goal, understand what you'd be working for. Knowledge is power man. Theres a ton of great books that can help you understand the industry to a further extent. Theres even free online classes that can teach you better production/recording and music business knowledge.
>>
>>64151363
>We've been told we already sound like we should be famous
This is what close friends/family/acquaintances always say.
>>
just message burger records your demo and get a 50 cassette release that will be lost amongst the five million cassette releases they've already pushed
>>
>>64151363
How many and what kind of shows have you played?
>>
>>64151363
Play live. A lot.
>>
>>64154629
>Theres even free online classes that can teach you better production/recording and music business knowledge.
Any website specifically you'd recommend?
>>
>>64151363

>>how tf do you get signed or noticed by a record label?

>what is an A&R
>>64151481

quite shit desu
>>
>>64155514
from the top of my head, Coursera
>>
>>64151481
Yeah it's ok, try something phychedelic or something interesting idk
>>
>>64151363

Tour relentlessly. Get onto college radio shows.
>>
>>64155403
>>64156124
>>64154986
These give you the answer
>>
>>64151730

Green Rivers sounds nothing like Stone Temple Pilots
>>
>>64151363
Just do it.
Getting a thousand records pressed isn't that expensive.

Press em and sell em to stores and shit.
>>
>>64156345
Are you seriously suggesting that a band with fifty six soundcloud followers gets a thousand copies of their shitey barely demo-worthy music and sent to record stores that will most likely refuse to sell them, or keep them in their basement for the next three years before throwing them out alongside other trash records by the local hardcore punk and garage rock bands?
>>
>>64151363
Honestly mate these days record labels are very unlikely to sign you, unless you're a band with a ton of hype they won't sign you.

Looking at your Soundcloud you're at a super low-local band level which record labels don't want.

Here's my advice:
>Save your money, get a decent recording setup, record at least a two track demo of your best original songs and send it fucking everywhere. Get it printed on blank discs with clear plastic sleeves and the front and back artwork as slip-ins. Give them away at every opportunity possible.
>Get in touch with venue promoters and other bands from around the place. Get on tours as supports, set up your own shows out of town. Get to know what other bands are around you and see if you can get on support for their shows.
>Don't turn down a show unless you REALLY have to. Play with stand-in members or without members if you have to if you've got a show planned but a member can't make it.
>No distance is too great, if you get a show offer that's a 10 hour drive and it looks good, take it.
>Contact smaller indie labels when you have a presentable demo ready, just send it to anyone and everyone. As I said earlier just give it away man, no one's gonna pay $5 for a local bands EP/demo so they may as well be listening to it

Now I'm not from a signed band (both of my bands are independent) but considering ones a tech death band and the others metalcore there's probs not a great chance of that ever happening. In todays music biz you have to do a lot of the footwork yourself until a label comes in.
>>
ZACH me and Your father and Family are really worried For you. Please come back home and forget about the Band and Nick... Well Wait!!!
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.