[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any virtuoso guitarist music that's actually worth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 8
File: joesatriani2_0_1.jpg (718 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
joesatriani2_0_1.jpg
718 KB, 1200x800
Is there any virtuoso guitarist music that's actually worth listening to?
>>
Derek Bailey
>>
Tosin abasi, guthrie govan and Joe pass
>>
>>64146282
DALE
>>
>>64146297
his playing sounds the way a library smells

dude is boring
>>
Tosin Abasi in Animals As Leaders. Specifically,The Joy of Motion.

For the most part, I hate the guitar shredding genre. 90% of the time it feels like there's just a backing track, and the guitarist is just feeding their ego. Satriani is the only one I've been able to listen to extensively, and even then, he is not that interesting
>>
Stanley jordan
>>
I always liked Steve Vai for his weird approach to music.
>>
>>64146282
Yngwie malmsteen's first album

the rest are garbage but that one is really good
>>
>>64146425
dick dale? eh not exactly a technical virtuoso

same with jeff beck. totally worth listening to but he doesn't sound like a player piano so it doesn't count
>>
Buckethead
>>
Animals as leaders is absolute garbage. Dude knows theory and can play well etc, but he ruins anything decent by burying it around 30+ minutes of generic nonsense djent parts.

He also uses terrible fractal FX presets and his tone always sounds like digital crap.
>>
>>64147991
Your just a faggot
>>
>>64149116
i like AAL, but he's right
>>
>>64147897
kek
>>
Greg Howe "Introspection" Fuckin idiots. You're welcome.
>>
>>64146282
mr joe pass
>>
>>64146404
>>64146535
>>64150310
these, also Paul Masvidal of Cynic and Plini!
>>
>>64151123
and Alan Holdsworth (Soft Machine), John Mclaughlin (Mahavishnu Orchestra), John Abercrombie, Al Di Miola, Wes Montgomery...
>>
>>64151123
Plini is fucking based af. If only other artists could also get their own egos out of the way to the extent that he does. I mean he got fucking Marco Minneman to join him too. If there is a god, may he bless Plini with all the gear and many years of life
>>
>>64146297
T B H
B
H
>>
>>64146282
joe satriani is a bigot you know he supports deporting mexicans and he supports pedophiles absolute scum.
>>
Robert Fripp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzFsDQeTUT4
>>
>>64149116
i agree with >>64149163

I've listened to all of their albums, some of Tosin's collabs, and I saw em play live, but now I only enjoy them sometimes because a lot of their songs seem muddled with breakdowns that cater to the headbanging crowd. Still, some of their songs are fucking top-tier inspiration to this day, after 2 years of getting to know their music. New Eden is a perfect track imo.
>>
>>64151477
lol where did you find this. joe seems like the most unopinionated guitar wanker out there
>>
John Fahey
>>
>>64146282
>who is Jimi Hendrix
>who is Jimmy Page
>who is Mark Knopfler
>who is Robert Fripp
>>
>>64152286

Page was pretty sloppy as a guitarist.
>>
>>64146297
so i looked him up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LgCqcmruGU
jesus i could do that. but i wouldn't. because it's bad.
>>64146732
a lot of them are a little too cheesy for me but he does have some really good songs
>>
I like Devin Townsend and Buckethead. You have to ffind guys who know how to just play a thousand notes per second all the time.
>>
django fucking reinhardt
>>
>>64154420
Seconding Buckethead. Dude actually has an enormous backlog of albums of various styles. He does a lot of restrained, slower, simpler stuff too.
>>
>>64154420
>You have to ffind guys who know how to just play a thousand notes per second all the time.
Holy shit, I fucked that up. I meant know how NOT to shred all the time.
>>
>>64146732
My dad was a big Steve Vai so he has a special place in my heart.

My dad was able to acknowledge that his stuff wasn't always good though. like Sex and Religion and so on. And i think if my dad was still around today he wouldn't have been impressed with his feature in the new M83 album
>>
>>64147991
Weightless is an 8/10 though
Agree with the other albums
>>
atahualpa yupanqui you stupid fucks, atahualpa yupanqui!!
>>
>>64154324
Didn't used to be so much, but yeah now he is.
Still workin on that comeback Page? You been workin on comin' back and playin? It's been a while since you said that stuff now.
>never happens
>>
Vini Reilly
>>
>>64152279
>>64152279
This. Fare Forward Voyagers is a goddamn masterpiece.
>>
Only Ben Monder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G79SVJzljUM
>>
>>64154466
This. The man played with two fingers for crying out loud. Just listen to this: https://youtu.be/o6jwvS0mHwo
>>
File: 0002839894_10.jpg (61 KB, 1200x1086) Image search: [Google]
0002839894_10.jpg
61 KB, 1200x1086
>>64155456
>>
>>64146282
Shawn Lane. https://youtu.be/IkLSoXSQcYQ
>>
>>64146282

Guthrie Govan
>>
is johnny marr a virtuoso
>>
Guthrie Govan, Django, John McLaughlin

All technical and all very good for many other reasons
>>
>>64146282
Eddie Hazel
Mel Brown
Roy Buchanan
Johnny Guitar Watson
>>
>>64155903
fuck, I forgot Grant Green
>>
Sure
>>
>>64146282
Fred Frith
>>
>>64155913
This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RiUkO7La3I
>>
>>64146282
no
>>
>>64156873
Only correct answer ITT
>>
>>64146282
No, not really. It's all either shredding, which is always trash, or too gimmicky for good harmony with other players. Being a "virtuoso" isn't supposed to mean that you constantly utilize the extent of your ability, just that if you happen to need that ability to get the sound you want in your head, you can get it. Most "virtuoso" guitar players' music is the equivalent of a comedy act where the comic just rifles all his best jokes at you in rapid succession with no timing, delivery, or emotion. Its pretty much the musical equivalent of a high-budget action movie.

Look at the answers in this thread and its clear that virtuoso guitar playing is pretty much for autists and people who are easily impressed.

>Abasi
djent, nuff said
>stanley jordan
overplays, no taste
>Vai
cheesy as fuck, no ear for melody, at least understands not to always be such a try-hard
>Malmsteen
neo-classical guitar is just a bad idea and his playing is sterile. he couldn't write something cohesive and pleasurable to hear if he had a gun to his head.
>jeff beck
not a virtuoso in the way most people think, but he has some good stuff
>buckethead
actually one of the better ones. though most of his music is boring trash with cookie cutter sounds coming from everything aside from his guitar, and he often goes off on pointless tangents and doesn't have good composition writing ability, he does have some stuff that is alright.
>Greg Howe
his music sounds like somebody noodling over a stock backing track
Paul Masvidal
>generic cheese metal
>pass
actually good, but he still overplays at times and i'm not a big fan of jazz guitar in general
>holdsworth
just overrated and hard on the ears
>fripp
most fits the description of a virtuoso player with music worth listening to. he's just damned good.
>fahey
also good. don't know if I would consider him a virtuoso though.
>hendrix
not a virtuoso in the way most people think. more known for his style

1/2
>>
>>64154387
>jesus i could do that. but i wouldn't. because it's bad.
Please do it. I want to see you fail.
>>
>>64155913
Wouldn't call him a virtuoso guitarist. Maybe a virtuoso vocalist.
>>
>>64157552
2/2

>page
heavy handed and not quite a virtuoso imo. also kinda overrated, but still good.
>django
not a virtuoso at all, even though highly influential
>vini reilly
good, but not quite sure i would consider him a virtuoso, pretty close though.
>ben monder
listeened to that song and it has absolutely 0 tact
>shawn lane
don't know his music either, but that video could have been decent if he didn't metal-ize everything. not a piece that requires virtuoso ability though.
>govan
no taste imo
>firth
has his moments, but i don't find his music all that good
>>
Andre Olbrich if he counts as a virtuoso
>>
>>64157692
also Herman Li
>>
>>64157725
Good guitarists can actually play their own songs live anon
>>
>>64146282
I wouldn't call Billy Corgan a virtuoso, decent songwriter tho
>>
>>64155460
God damn Django is one of those musicians you just can't help but wonder about.

How could he have been if he'd been able to use all of his fingers? The GOAT?
>>
John Mayer
>>
>>64146282
No.
>>
>>64157730
I played your mom live all night long son
>>
>>64157552
>"djent, nuff said"
Uhm, no?
>>
>>64157552
>Jeff Beck
>Not a virtuoso
I know this is bait, but I would really like to know who do you consider a good guitar player?
>>
>>64158092
welcome to /mu/, where people disregard music with any excuse they can
>>
>>64157552
If you like Fripp and prog, how do you not enjoy other ''weird'' and ''hard on the ear'' music (like jazz, jazz fusion)? I'm referring to Allan Holdsworth here. If your ears are used to listening to prog, I'm not sure how exactly is Holdsworth just of your comfort zone.
>>
>>64157785
Nah. There's no GOAT in music. It's not a competition. Everyone wins :-)
>>
>>64158387
I prefer this ideology
>>
>>64157958
>errr... um... YOU'RE MOM
Good job
>>
Dan, listen to animals as leaders
>>
>>64147991

I saw them live and it was some of the illest shit ever
>>
>>64151329
i could never get through an entire Holdsworth album
>>
>>64151123
Plini and Masvidal are great. I wonder what the status of Cynic is atm?
>>
>>64151403
Thanks mate
>>
File: yarp.jpg (56 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
yarp.jpg
56 KB, 960x720
>>64146732
I saw him last week at Generation Axe, with based Tosin too
>>
>>64147991
The Joy of Motion is great, the first two have a couple good songs
>>
>>64151781
Anything from their newest album is awesome
>>
File: retardalert.gif (480 KB, 493x342) Image search: [Google]
retardalert.gif
480 KB, 493x342
>>64146482
>>
ITT: Djentfags derail a thread with their shilling
>>
>>64157552
>Paul Masvidal
>generic cheese metal
Have you listened to Cynic?
>>
>>64147991
Too fucking true. Abasi needs to stoplaying with children. Like put him in dysrhythmia he would do well in call and response with hufnegel
>>
ERIC JOHNSON
R
I
C

J
O
H
N
S
O
N
>>
>>64157552
Too bad this is bait. I really wanted a response.
>>
I feel bad for people who will never be able to admit that the first Van Halen album is fucking perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_qwtPLiy6o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-5KR6I3Dho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Vv69ZUQoE
>>
>Djent
Sick meme guys
>>
File: das it mane.png (98 KB, 361x364) Image search: [Google]
das it mane.png
98 KB, 361x364
>>64161255
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_qwtPLiy6o
>2:11
>>
>>64146732
Steve Vai the robot? Dude plays like an automaton. He sucks, literally no soul. He's bad for the same reason metal is bad.
>>
>>64161748
>metal is bad
>no soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lVdMbUx1_k
>>
>>64161792
Of course there are exceptions fampai
>>
>>64161748
I know this is bait, but please listen: https://youtu.be/8KUSkGeaUPU
>>
>>64158329
I just don't like his playing, I don't know what to tell you. The way he thinks about music just doesn't coincide with how I think of it, it has nothing to do with comfort zones. I don't mind Jazz, I just don't like jazz guitar very much.

>>64158092
Oh, to be 17 again.

>>64158247
He isn't quite a virtuoso in the way that people typically think of when they talk about "guitar virtuosos" imo. I think Jeff Beck is really good, just not really what OP is asking about.

>>64159208
Its shit, like almost all metal.

>>64161178
Not bait, its just an opinion. The guitar is a rhythm instrument and most "viruoso" players focus heavily on lead playing, which makes it inherently novel imo. You want to know my favorite guitar players that could qualify as virtuosos I'll tell you, but I don't think they are what you are looking for.

>Mick Ronson
>Bill Frissell
>Nels Cline
>Hendrix
>Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
>Robert Fripp
>David Gilmour

and that's really it. All players you have probably heard of, because again, I don't think guitar viruoso music is good 99.99% of the time.
>>
>>64162112
>David Gilmour
>virtuoso
DUDE BENDING LMAO
>>
>>64146297
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in58wtVI9sI
>>
>>64162152
DUDE DYNAMICS AND TOUCH AND WRITING AREN'T A THING LMAO
>>
File: how.jpg (400 KB, 903x1024) Image search: [Google]
how.jpg
400 KB, 903x1024
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
>>
>>64162230
there is no need to be upset
>>
File: fredfrith.jpg (52 KB, 500x301) Image search: [Google]
fredfrith.jpg
52 KB, 500x301
>>
>>64146282
Bireli Lagrene
>>
How is Adrian Belew? He played in Remain In Light.
>>
>>64162112
Jeff Beck plays different styles of music and has a different technique for every style. He plays rockabilly, rock, blues, jazz, etc. He has a different style on a Strat, different style on a Les Paul, etc. I seriously doubt you wouldn't call him a virtuoso. As far as music taste and preference goes, as a guitar player, I enjoy many styles of music and guitar playing. I haven't heard of first three players you mentioned, but I'll definitely give it a go. As far as the other three go, I enjoy their style too. And about guitar jazz and other ''hard on the ear music'' played on the guitar - in my opinion it's almost as if you have to be a musician in order to understand and appreciate different genres of music, such as jazz, jazz fusion, prog, etc. Thank you for your response.
>>
>>64162477
If that's what makes Jeff Beck a virtuoso, then Dean Ween is also a virtuoso
>>
>>64162471
He's my her, although I think he's underrated a bit. All the sounds he's managed to get out of his guitar... It's just mind boggling.
>>
>>64162538
hero*
>>
>>64162471
Adrian Belew is certainly one of the better guitarists that could also be called a virtuoso imho, although I'm not that sure how much technical range he has ultimately - there is a somewhat narrow style that he is quite likely the greatest guitarist ever in, but not that remarkable in other contexts maybe.

I remember reading some Frank Zappa interview where he strongly denied being a virtuoso himself in response to some question or comment about Steve Vai defining that a virtuoso is someone who can play anything you throw at them, while he could just play like himself.

To me it's more valuable for a guitarist to have his own sound than the ability to play any style and piece.
>>
>>64162620
Zappa was super not a virtuoso when it comes to the guitar. Compositionally, it's unquestionable, but his guitar playing had like two modes.
>>
>>64162727
yeah, that was part of the point I was trying to make - to me Zappa was great mostly because he has such a recognizable sound and those standard licks he plays that make his playing recognizable, the technically accomplished guitarists he employed in his band like Vai are less so because the personality is just not there - virtuosos often feel like plastic with no rough edges
>>
>>64162620
>I remember reading some Frank Zappa interview where he strongly denied being a virtuoso himself in response to some question or comment about Steve Vai defining that a virtuoso is someone who can play anything you throw at them, while he could just play like himself.

I am familiar with this too and agree with this view. By that definition I don't really know who besides Stevie Vai really fits the definition, and by that token, I think Vai's music is worth listening to.

All that stuff people dislike where he gets 'too technical' that's what is worth listening to. It's an incredible human feat.
>>
Derek Trucks...probably the most soul of any current living guitar virtuoso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBbRrvJt8G8
>>
>>64163123

Vai has major personality...he took a lot of Zappa quirkiness and sense of humour and jacked it up with his incredible technical chops. I agree he is cheesy at times but hard to understand how you can listen to "For the love of God" and claim he has no soul...seems like cognitive dissonance.

His composition skills are highly underrated- his sense of humour ignored, his vast catalog of music dating back to Flex-able is just filled with a vast array of strange and funky music that is way more than just a million notes a second wankery...dude has some seriously wacky songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmfzfD3tRdk
>>
>>64146282
Mario Camarena
>>
this song seems appropriate for 4chan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7pYcAuANjg
>>
>>64151477
Whats wrong with deporting illegals? Are you anti amrican?
source for his pedo stuff or gtfo
>>
>>64163564
eh, I'm sure some people feel differently but Vai to me is very much like Guthrie Govan who is a great personality on one hand and a charismatic guy and capable of playing a wide variety of stuff, but his music just always feels like a bunch of chops and I'd just rather listen to someone less technically adept with a simpler, recognizable style to be honest
>>
>>64163700

He's definitely not for everyone- kind of an acquired taste...he has a lot songs that dont even have guitar in them...for most people he is just too bizarre...but he def has personality

How can you not listen to this and at least get a chuckle :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjHR-SI7Bv0
>>
>>64163851

Light without Heat.
>>
>>64162471
>>64162620

dude's underrated as fuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ758xfIK4I
>>
>>64162477
I am a musician, not professional though. I just don't think the guitar is a very good instrument for jazz. Prog can be good, but its usually just wankery to me. I like plenty of different kinds of music, just not "guitar virtuoso" music because its usually just complex for the sake of it, like its an exercise and not meant to really be heard and enjoyed. The more complex the music gets, its that much harder to make it good imo, and too much complexity just winds up in something that my brain just doesn't find pleasing. I think music that moves too fast or has too much going on is largely pointless because I can't take it all in at once. I think it's that way for most people but they just don't want to be perceived as a pleb or whatever. I'm not the most "advanced" listener, but I'm listened enough to be completely comfortable with my opinion that alot of complex music is more interesting than good, and I would rather just listen to music that I find to be both. I know some of Jeff Beck's work, and I would consider him a virtuoso type player, but I don't think he falls in with the other guys who are usually mentioned like Govan, Vai, etc., despite my opinion that he is a much better player.
>>
>>64159019
I think they're carrying on with the drummer from trioscapes
>>
>>64162112
Bill Frissell is amazing
>>
>>64147991
It's funny because Abasi originally didn't want to do an album like that because he thought it would just be "ego stroking" or whatever, then he immediately went and did AAL. I think AAL are pretty interesting but the drum programming on that first album is terrible. Misha Mansoor being involved in anything is usually a good sign that I won't like it.
>>
>>64146282
Guthrie Govan

greatest virtuous ever
>>
Andy summers?
>>
>no williams
>no segovia
>no de lucia
>no jansch
>no renbourn

this thread is trash.
>>
>>64154533
You're a big Vai
>>
>>64162244
This man will die without getting the real recognition he deserves just because people don't 'get' his music. Such a big shame.
>>
>>64146297
I came here to say this.
>>
>>64159158
he's a shit improvisor
>>
The very top kek. Just because you re an oldfag, doesn't account for this major bullshitery
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.