[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some people think In rainbows is Radiohead best album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 300x300
Why do some people think In rainbows is Radiohead best album? I'm ok with them saying it's their favorite, but to say it's their best is a bit stretching it. I think the album is great. find it a bit too boring and not as sonically interesting as radiohead other works.
>>
K.
>>
Agreed. Many others swear by it, and idk why
>>
>>64142234
>Look at me guys
>>
>>64142234
K.
>>
>>64142148
why would you listen to radiohead at any point after your first month of being into music?
>>
>>64142387
Why would you go on /mu/ if you like music?
>>
The good songs in this record are really good imo. Has some boring cuts, though.

Kid A is the superior choice.
>>
>>64142387
>being into music?
What did he mean by this?
>>
In Rainbows is my favorite
Kid A is their best
>>
>>64142727
if you've been actively exploring music for at least a month why would you waste your time listening to generic alt rock when there's so much better music out there
>>
>>64142989
>Much better music out there
Like what?
>>
>>64142387
>being into music
>>
>>64142989
That makes sense but that must get tiring at some point, like running through a perfume store and smelling every single perfume available.

I've always tried to find new music but that is no reason to drop the music you loved before hand, to continue with the perfume analogy it could be considered the coffee beans used to clear your nose while in the store to distinguish the smells.

Radiohead is simply familiar.
>>
>>64142148
the album is kind of boring sans a few tracks, 7/10
>>
Depends on what you're expecting. In terms of personal introspection, Thom and pals had a fearmongering paranoia stick up their asses from OK Computer to Hail To The Thief so really In Rainbow's only competition on that front is The Bends. Personally I think The Bends is more affecting but it's close. There's also the matter of sonic progression and refinement - without getting too longwinded about it, In Rainbows is basically the endgame for Radiohead's style. The first 3 albums refine their brand of Britpop, Kid A takes a wild leap into more experimental waters, and Amnesiac reels back in just enough of a rock sound to mark what I think is the moment where Radiohead found their sound. Hail To The Thief refined that synthesis of electronic and rock elements, and In Rainbows perfected it, made it sound seamless. I think that's part of why The King of Limbs is the way it is - Radiohead didn't really have anywhere else to progress their sound after In Rainbows. Finally, it's probably got the tightest, most accessible songwriting of any of their albums.

Now having said all this, these are simply arguments I can think of in its favor. I'm actually a HTTTfag, but I can see what someone might see in In Rainbows. A lot of it comes back to sheer accessibility though so make of that what you will.
>>
maybe it's the most accessible album, also the cover is colorful
>>
>>64142737
This
>>
File: 81XKo5fhRyL._SL1400_.jpg (459 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
81XKo5fhRyL._SL1400_.jpg
459 KB, 1400x1400
It is an awesome album, but it can't top "The Bends".

I think people favor it for a group of reasons. One may be that it is a good cross between their alt rock, emotional stuff, and more experimental electronic stuff.

Plus it has a good size to it, and the songs are good. So it's like "more songs that are good" over "less songs that are even better".

And it could be the first album for a lot of people here. If you came to 4chan in the late 00's, there's a decent chance this was your first real look into the Radiohead discography considering the waves it made.
>>
>>64144637
Pablo honey is better
>>
>>64142989
>>64142387
listen to this man >>64143154

i was big into radiohead between 15-18, but from 19-21 was when i really ventured outside of alt rock into punk, metal, and now jazz. i rarely enjoy radiohead anymore but it's because I've listened to them too much and learned a lot of their songs. still, i do enjoy them from time to time for nostalgia, and sometimes for inspiration, especially the stuff on Amnesiac. The stuff I didn't enjoy back then I enjoy more now. honestly i think getting on your high horse means your understanding of music hasn't expanded and you only appreciated them from one frame of reference, whereas those who continually progress in their understanding have enjoyed tons of music from different frames of reference. stop living that cucklife anon
>>
>>64142148

OP" I this I that I IIIII I I"

Yeah that's called a fucking opinion retard. They differ
>>
>people told me this was their best entry album
>first three songs were good
>after that, album was booorrrinngg

>turned on Hail to the Thief
>greeted by their strongest song in their careers
>more or less consistently enjoyable songs, minus We Suck Young Blood
>Excellent closer to sweeten the deal

Let's get this straight - HttT is their strongest album and best introductory album because of it's consistent strength.
>>
>>64148319
I'd agree that it's their closest thing to a concept album and it was consistently my favorite for a few years, but just because you find some songs boring doesn't mean you will in the future. People enjoy shit for different reasons fampai. I've met a handful of hardcore rh fans over the past 5-7 years and they all have tons of different opinions. I don't stress about it. It's all good when the main goal is to progress as a musician, not to impress others with your taste.
>>
File: 1449956713323.jpg (61 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1449956713323.jpg
61 KB, 900x900
The real issue for me is that this feels like the first actual radiohead record. Like, with pablo honey and the bends they feel like they're trying to stay current with the grungy times they were born out of. Then they kinda found their oen unique sound with OK computer but this earned them an "avant-gard" reputation
>inb4 scruffy
So with that in mind they went on to create two great records but those weren't their type of records, not as radiohead, more as Thom yorke and the yorkettes, Amnesiac more so than Kid A. With hail to the thief i felt they were returning to their own sound, putting in many of their past styles but not really blending them together and then with in rainbows i just feel they finally were able to get their exact 'radiohead" sound on a record, a sound that had been hinted towards but never really explored (maybe on OkC)
Also, they are all solid songs, none of them i wouldput on a top 10 radiohead songs but its the most consistent album.

>who are you to decide whats the real radiohead sound
No one, just a fan with an opinion you may or may not discard
>>
>>64148855
Shit, i meant to say with pablo honey they were trying to be grungy and with the bends they were trying to be britpopy
Whatever
>>
>>64148855
You're making a solid case for why it's your *favorite* album, which I think is good.

Imo there is no "best", unless you're thinking in individual parameters like mix/levels, technique/accuracy (tempo/intonation), or more abstractly, consistency to form/structure.

Non-musicians, please stop saying "best" like you know what you're talking about. It's more of an ego-grooming thing imo. Not to exempt musicians from it, but it seems the more you learn about creating music, the less you are prone to feeding your ego with criticism.
>>
>>64148196
>Opinions
>/mu/
Fuck off newfag.
>>
>>64144166
There we go, someone understands.

This, entirely, you won't get a better explanation.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.