[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any advice how to play bar chords ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: 220px-Guitar_barre_chord.jpg (8 KB, 220x165) Image search: [Google]
220px-Guitar_barre_chord.jpg
8 KB, 220x165
Any advice how to play bar chords ?
>>
>>64128132
Literally just practice
>>
>>64128132
>go to a bar
>play chords
>..
>profit
xD
>>
>>64128428
this
>>
>>64128132
dont bar the whole neck at firs
give it some time
it will happen eventually
>>
>>64128132
Practice practice practice practice
>>
there's no magic to it, just keep practicing until you can do it, it won't take that long

after you learn how to do it you'll find it hard to believe you found it difficult at first
>>
it never stops hurting though. After a while you gifure out ways to play bar chords without barring
>>
>>64128505
>it never stops hurting though
of course it does
>>
File: 200_s.gif (59 KB, 368x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
59 KB, 368x200
>Not tremolo picking one fret at a time.
>>
>>64128505
It does you idiot
You gain finger strength after about 2 weeks or so.
>>
>>64128528
>>64128555
I mean, it never stops being uncomfortable. I've been playing for ten years and if there is a song that i have to play bar chords for all the way through, it's not a fun time
>>
Practice barring every fret one at a time up to 12 and back again once a day. Your fingers will strengthen in no time.
>>
>>64128671
Maybe you should find a guitar with a more comfortable neck to play on. That's what helped me and now I can play barre chords on any guitar.
>>
My guitar has terrible action and a flat fretboard and I can barre all day all night. If you have problems you probably have weak fingers.
>>
I just don't play full 6 string barre chords to begin with. You never actually need to.
>>
Put your fingers on the frets you want to play in the shape required
>>
>>64129009
Fretting the root note of an E-shape chord with your thumb? Doesn't that sound terrible?
>>
I've got sort of a related question. Is it viable at all to play bar chords on a bass? I've been trying for a while out of curiosity but I can't seem to manage. I'm thinking the strings are just too thick.
>>
>>64129336
why are you playing chords on a bass?
>>
>>64129354
Long story short, because I can.
>>
>>64129289

Unless it's some unique extended chord or whatever, you don't need to play every note in a standard "E" shape 6 string barre, it won't make much of a difference. Either go for the top 4/5 or the bottom 4 for more bottom heavy stuff.
>>
>>64129336
It is possible, though there aren't many bar chords/shapes that you can play on a bass, assuming you have a four-stringer.
>>
>>64129705
Yeah, I should've googled first. I did just now. Basically I've misunderstood someone's explanation of barre chords and thought it was something else. Thanks though.
>>
>>64129336
You can, just build up more finger strength.
Though they usually sound weird and do not really fit in a song.
>>
>>64128428
This.
They're a pain at first but they'll feel natural eventually. Literally any chord that is difficult for you to play won't be if you practice some songs with it a lot
>>
>>64128132
Apart from grinding, don't just strum the bar chord, pluck each string to make sure sound is clear and not muffled
>>
I taught myself how to play guitar on a shitty acoustic and couldn't for the life of me play barre chords so I would play them in the Fmaj7 shape for a while until I started playing on an electric more where the thinner strings were more forgiving. It took a few months but now I have no problem with them
>>
>>64128428
this. There isn't really a trick to it, you've just got to do it enough to build up the muscles in your fingers to be able to play them.
>>
>>64129336
>Is it viable at all to play bar chords on a bass?
Only if you're les claypool.
>>
Later on barre chords will make most of your playing repertoire.

They are simple and easy but the one shown on the OP image is not right, try using the side of your finger to get a more flat surface and try not to let your index finger go over the fret board.

You will find exercises for this in Sagreras' guitar exercise books.
>>
>>64129336
>bar chords
>on a fucking bass
It's like you desire arthritis

also, for what purpose
>>
>>64128132
No way around, practice makes perfect
>>
>>64131816
>practice makes perfect
Perfect practice, makes perfect. Get that shit right, you fucking failure.
>>
>>64128132
Practice until your index finger can barre the neck. There is no special trick.
>>
>>64131931
shut up, fool
>>
>>64131931
Why the hostility
>>
>>64131931
fucking fool
>>
Bar chords are for chumps. Just buy a capo and move it and play an E or Em at every fret whenever needed.
>>
>>64128438
thanks reddit
>>
>>64128671
too much thumb pressure lad
>>
File: 1460234681418.jpg (98 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1460234681418.jpg
98 KB, 640x480
>>64128505
>it never stops hurting though.
I know, friend.

It will never stop hurting...
>>
>>64132698
this guy knows
>>
>>64131683
Some songs on bass require you to bar the frets (not necessarily a bar chord). Reflection by Tool is a good example of where having good finger strength is pretty much mandatory if you want to make it through the whole song. Lots of Primus songs feature bar/power chords in them too
>>
File: MaxCavalera.jpg (894 KB, 1205x1097) Image search: [Google]
MaxCavalera.jpg
894 KB, 1205x1097
>Who needs chords ?
>>
I have literally never had trouble playing barre chords. I don't know what you're doing with your hands but when I do it I put my thumb against the neck diagonally and try to press against it with the center of my thumb. See if that helps you at all.
>>
File: Untitled.png (41 KB, 205x225) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
41 KB, 205x225
>>64128438
For the sake of /mu/, GTFO
>>
cover all the strings with one finger. thank me later
>>
>>64133721
This. Anyone who has trouble with barre chords has thumbs for fingers
>>
Don't, it's too hard for you. You will inevitably fail.

Just give up and learn to play bass instead.
>>
it's spelled barre not bar guys.

you can for starters tune the whole guitar down one whole step and put a capo on the 2nd fret. strings will be a bit looser and you might be able to sound all six strings and the following couple weeks should be able to tune back up and do it in standard tuning
>>
>>64128671
i literally can play barre chords for hours without any fatigue. if you're having this much trouble you either are doing it wrong or not practicing enough
>>
>>64132832
>>64134394
wow
>>
>>64135941
Or you just use lighter strings you fucknut
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xREDbnYwuQs

Try this exercise.
>>
>>64128132
Literally the easiest thing to do on a guitar
>>
Play with the guitar resting on your left leg like a classical guitarist.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.