[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw finally starting to enjoy this album
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2
File: Folder.jpg (19 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
19 KB, 500x500
>mfw finally starting to enjoy this album
>>
is it? is this your face when you enjoy this album? how long do you make that face for?
>>
It's a great album. Is it the only No-Wave Swans that you like?
>>
>>64113973
Try out Cop after you thoroughly "get" Filth. It's a bit more no-wave and slower, and I think I prefer it to Filth
>>
>>64113998
36 minutes and 48 seconds, the duration of the album.

>>64114032
I'm starting to give those albums a chance again. I'm starting with Filth and i'm going to give a shot to Cop and the others later. I liked a few songs from Cop but i still find it hard to digest the entire thing. But since i'm starting to appreciate this one a lot more i guess i will think differently.
>>
>>64114083
Cop is definitely a lot less accessible than Filth because they lost their second drummer. Still great though. And then it all reaches it's peak in Public Castration, one of my all time favorite albums.

My thought it like early Swans is like being beaten up, but in a good way
>>
>>64114204
I still need to download Public Castration and the first Swans EP.

I think i once saw a quote from Gira somewhere where he said something about wanting to be in a room full of sledgehammers or something, and this is just how i feel when listening to early Swans. I also think a lot about the movies "Angst" and "A short movie about killing".
>>
>>64114369
https://mega.co.nz/#!DYMUkZjZ!U-BNkZQP8FbEjYZJtDPykvxLha1TIB203T_Y4W1CmyU

Here's PCiaGI, the best live album ever imo
>>
>>64114489
Thanks!
>>
>>64114926
No problem friend
>>
early swans are pretty fucking good, i haven't heard much music similar, especially shit like public castration. i have the cop/young god/greed/holy money pack but unfortunately not filth. it's all gr8.
>>
>>64113973
I always enjoyed Cop a lot more honestly.
I kinda feel like SWANS EP was better than this too.
>>
>>64114489
>best live album ever
Nah man, it's this.
>>
>mfw i'm the only one that enjoys Filth more than Cop
>>
>>64117482
that's generally the norm though, filth is "poppier" than cop
>>
>>64114489
I think Swans Are Dead is the GOAT live album, but Public Castration is great too
>>
>>64117898
"groovier"
is a better word
>>
>>64118008
I'd say melodic, but I can feel groovier
>>
>>64114489
Swans are Dead is some serious competition but PCIAGI is a 10/10
>>
>>64118097
Definitely groovier. The rhythms on many of the tracks on Filth are very Glenn Branca-esque
>>
>>64113973

>mfw enjoy it the first time then slowly starting to not like it as much
>>
How does one "get" Swans? What must one do?
>>
>>64120843

It's not difficult or challenging to listen to at all. If you can handle some noise rock or 3rd wave post rock rock you can handle it lmao
>>
>>64121035
I like Melt Banana?
>>
>>64120843

I just got into them last year. I've listened to 8 albums of theirs. I'd say whatever genres interest you most is where to start

Filth ---> no wave, post-punk, sorta Joy Divisionish, but much dirtier
Children of God ---> a mix of everything, easily there most accessible
Soundtracks for the Blind ---> Post-rock, Musique concrete, Ambient, lots of different stuff
The Burning World ---> Acoustic, lighter Swans
The Seer ---> Noise rock, Drone, Very experimental
To Be Kind, White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, and Great Annihilator ---> Not sure yet, only listened to it twice, still absorbing them
>>
>>64121035
>swans
>third wave post-rock

You're joking right?
>>
>>64121218
>Filth
>sort of Joy Divisionish
oh god, proge is gonna have an aneurysm.
>>
>>64120843
listen to an album twice or three times and realize they're unremarkable and then move on with your life.
le teeth album cover
>>
>>64121281
>i like joy division now
Seriously Closer is a legit 9/10
>>
>>64121281

They came out of the same time period and they're both post-punk. I know Filth is no wave above post-punk, but I can definitely hear a little bit of similarity
>>
>>64121288
>"bait"
No one unironically thinks this though, right?
>>
>>64121316
Yeah, I was just joking because proge loves Swans but hates JD or at least I thought

>>64121298
So after all the times you said you hate JD, you like them now?
>>
>>64121352
Yeah because I
>listens to Closer once

UP is still mediocre as shit though
>>
>>64120843
For me they suddenly clicked when I was out walking alone on a really hot, sunny day after having a couple of beers and Just A Little Boy came on. Something about the dusty, desert-y sounding production just made me feel. From then on they've been my favorite band.
>>
>>64121319
it's inconceivable that someone else would not like your fucking no-wave jam band bullshit? they're like phish for try-hards
>>
>>64120843
For me, I started with SFTB (don't do this). I liked it but I wasn't that into it. Then I listened to Filth and immediately loved, then worked my way through chronologically. Great stuff
>>
>>64121510
Yeah this has to be bait
You literally sound like someone who's only ever listened to Filth once
>>
>>64121510
confirmed for only listening to maybe half of Filth
>>
>>64121258
he didn't call swans third wave tho
>>
Can we talk about "I was a prisoner in your skull"?

I really don't like that song. The way the guy speaks about 'you being fucked' up sounds exactly how this one really unintelligent guy I knew spoke. The recording reminds me too much of this dumb guy and ruins it for me
>>
>>64121568
That's what I read it as but ok
>>
>>64121554
>>64121568
im talking swans overall, not just filth. their general sound over the years is mostly way too drawn out and devoid of good ideas.
>>
>>64121593
I like it, but I guess if I also knew that guy I wouldn't like it.

Funny story about that song. Soundtracks was one of the first /mu/core albums I listened to when I first came on this board and I thought that that guy was Michael Gira
>>
>>64121625
Yep, he's only listened to about half of Filth once
>>
Swans is garbage

#PrayForUnty
>>
>>64121628

Well what's the backstory behind it? I know some of the other tracks use Jarboe's dad in some recordings. Was it him? Why was it recorded?
>>
>>64121625
>devoid of good ideas
How so? You still sound like you've only heard Filth, otherwise you wouldn't have called them no-wave which is what they were in the early years but this band has had a couple of phases where the music has been quite different. Just compare Filth to Soundtracks to The Seer
>>
>>64121664
I have no idea of the back story, although I've always been curious of what he was gonna say before it cut out. I know someone on here emailed Michael Gira about it but he never got a reply
>>
>>64121714
I sent a message to his FB profile but he left me on seen
>>
>>64121688
i've heard all that shit, it's all still the same general sound, just alter the level of droning repetition and maybe the acidity of the production for different periods. the lack of good ideas is all i can hear in this bullshit. and you compared those three albums like there's some great swath of different sounds but you've pointed out 100% of the different phases they've been through. there's only three and they're all too similar to each other. put filth through paulstretch and put a lowpass filter over it and you've got yourself the seer.
>>
>>64121845
Confirmed bait
>>
>>64121594
He said if you can handle third wave post rock you can handle Swans. not sure how true that is but he's not saying swans are third wave post rock
>>
>>64121845
Well, I didn't mention the Gothic phase. Either way, I could understand if you just didn't like it, but to make mostly baseless claims like "lack of good ideas" I can't. How can the melodic punches of sound from Filth be comparable to The Seer or the Great Annihilator or Soundtracks? I know what your going to say, "it's repetitive", but if you cared to listen, you'd see that the sound builds of the repetition as a carpenter would a foundation. It's just their sound. But, seriously Swans have one of the most varied catalogs I can think of
>>
>>64122007
Huh ok.

It's definitely not a true statement though. Third wave post-rock is essentially indie pop, cookie cutter formulaic stuff for pitchfork kids that think they have "eclectic taste". Swans (especially their pre-revival work" is anything but cookie cutter

>>64122046
Ignore him, it's bait
>>
>>64121664
The only track that Jarboe's dad speaks on is 'Her Mouth is Filled With Honey', but a whole bunch of other samples on Soundtracks came from his tape collection from his work as an FBI agent. Jarboe inherited those when he died (and I believe it's how Michael got at least one of his cowboy hats as well).
>>
>>64122790
His will must have been funny as fuck

>"...and to Michael, our family friend, you get my beloved cowboy hat for your collection."
>>
>>64113973
Filth is one of my favorite albums and the No Wave era of Swans is definitely my favorite of all their sounds
>>
>>64122150

>cookie cutter formulaic stuff for pitchfork kids that think they have "eclectic taste

Yeah, same as Swans
>>
>>64123355
Show me which cookie cutter Swans use.
And the only reason why pitchfork is hyping them is because le website click opportunities. I gurantee you they'll either ignore or pan the Glowing Man because of Larkin. Then they can become the underground band they should have always been again
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.