[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vinyl General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12
File: setup.jpg (1 MB, 4912x2760) Image search: [Google]
setup.jpg
1 MB, 4912x2760
Post setups, questions etc.

I have a few questions as well:
-What is the lowest rating on vinyl you'll consider buying?
-Does rarity impact your willingness to purchase rough vinyl
-Would you rather have a rough condition original press or a mint modern repress?

For me, I have actually bought pretty scratched up copies of very rare records like the original of E2-E4 in G- condition without a sleeve because I got it for like $10. I also paid $20 for a G+/VG- copy of Faust IV. Am I a fool? I kind of like not having to treat them like museum pieces.
>>
What should I be looking for in a receiver. I know to look for something with a phono input but like is there a quick way to judge quality without looking up every single model I come across.
>>
>>64114084
know some brands
good build quality
check the sticky
>>
>>64114084
In general, just stay away from ones that look like they are from the 90s or late 80s, that means mainly don't buy ones that are black and made of plastic. If it's metal, it's probably better quality. The only 90s or 80s ones I would consider are a few of the Marantz ones but not all of them are worthwhile so be careful.

Lastly NEVER buy anything before testing it including all the channels and inputs.
>>
>>64113699
Going off Discogs grading, G is lowest. I have very low standards for vinyl, if it plays all the way through without any big problems and the cover is somewhat intact than it's good enough for me.
>>
>>64113699
I buy almost exclusively new vinyl.

Older vinyl just seems a little more flimsy and cheap and I really can't stand the popping you get from anything but pristine new vinyl.

I also have never been able to hear the supposed difference between an original pressing and modern represses.
>>
lol vinyl is for faggots
>>
File: IMG_20160415_193105.jpg (2 MB, 2368x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160415_193105.jpg
2 MB, 2368x3200
Posting latest purchases, + Melt Yourself Down and Painting With.

Live Peace in Toronto is warped to hell, haven't played it yet but it will surely not track properly.
>>
>>64114554
lol enjoy listening to all of your albums 2 or 3 times before you can't ever stand listening to them again

you picked the wrong format ya trendhopper
>>
Hi everyone, how was your record store day.

Also we need to make this a legit constant general with important links. Anyone got some?
>>
>>64114791
die in a hole, fagg
>>
>>64114791

Couldn't give two shits about RSD. Was there anything good other than maybe that Xiu Xiu record?
>>
File: 1388246076141.png (220 KB, 400x384) Image search: [Google]
1388246076141.png
220 KB, 400x384
>>64114767
what
>>
>>64114807
nope, hasn't been in maybe 2 or 3 years
>>
>>64113699

>-What is the lowest rating on vinyl you'll consider buying?

When buying online, at least VG, VG+ maybe. While thrifting I don't give much of a shit, G is fine as long as it plays fine and I can manage to wet clean it.

>-Does rarity impact your willingness to purchase rough vinyl

A ruined rare vinyl is a ruined record nevertheless. That being said, I found Exuma for 7 bucks, the sleeve was busted (but the images intact) and the record was scratched and dirty, but after cleaning it, it could play fine, save for some skips.

>-Would you rather have a rough condition original press or a mint modern repress?

People will fight me for this, but I'd rather have the latter.
>>
>>64114807
I was interested in that, the Nosferatu soundtrack and there was some compilation of Japanese garage rock I saw on the website.

Oh, they also had a 7" of spooky scary skeletons for like $8 if you're that into memeing
>>
>>64114593
Stop
>>
>>64114807
I think it was mostly shit this year. I picked up Blood Visions which is a great album tho and a $1 record since $2 vinyl was on sale today
>>
>>64114921
What is your process for cleaning? How do you protect the label?
>>
>>64114972

Homemade wet cleaning solution, 1/4 of pure isopropyl alcohol, 3/4 distilled water in a spray bottle, and microfibre cloths. It does the job well. Managed to almost completely nullify surface noise on my copy of Simon & Garfunkel live at Central Park album and an apparent permanent skip on Led Zeppelin IV.
>>
>>64115109
I might have to try that. I have a ton of microfiber cloths lying around and isopropyl alcohol in my cupboard.
>>
File: 8734569_ra.jpg (34 KB, 642x550) Image search: [Google]
8734569_ra.jpg
34 KB, 642x550
Opinions on the Sony PSLX300? It was given to me as a gift and I want to make sure I'm not using a piece of shit.
>>
File: IMG_1233.jpg (270 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1233.jpg
270 KB, 1280x720
Current set up (well almost, I moved the speakers away from the wall and at an angle recently, as well as some cable management)

U-Turn Orbit Plus

U-Turn Pluto Phono Stage

Adcom GFP-1a Preamp

Adcom GFA-555 Amp

Paradigm Series 7 Monitor

Paradigm Sub

Got the pre amp and amp for free from a client, did a cap refresh on the GFA-555. The preamp needs a refresh on the phono, hence me using an external phono atm. The GFA-555 sounds absolutely beautiful with the Paradigm, and it lives up to its nelson pass design.
>>
File: fdsa.jpg (92 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
fdsa.jpg
92 KB, 1080x1080
I've bought some pretty rough records before. I don't really mind it as long as they're cheap. If it's something I really like, I'll definitely put in the effort of finding a mint copy. Don't really care about first pressings as long as represses sound as good or better.

How was everyone's RSD? I didn't get the only album I really wanted (XX Twin Peaks) so I ordered a copy off discogs before the price got all inflated.
>>
>>64114820
They're saying that if that person can't stand pops vinyl is the wrong format to have because they develop pops over time.

Kinda disagree though because proper care can definitely mitigate this. Really as easy as brushing them off before a play, and storing them on rice paper or poly sleeves instead of the terrible paper ones most come with.
>>
File: IMAG0787.jpg (1000 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0787.jpg
1000 KB, 1520x2688
Hey /vinyl/, I just went to my first actual record store today (because of national record store day partially), I got this sweet limited edition clear DNA single.
It was a special thing just for this year.
It's limited edition.
It was ten dollars.
>>
>>64115845

Very nice.
>>
File: still messy (2).jpg (1 MB, 2464x1632) Image search: [Google]
still messy (2).jpg
1 MB, 2464x1632
>tfw setup is covered with a sheet and unplugged
>tfw I wont be able to use it at all until my renovations are done

feels bad man I really want to listen to some of my luke vibert records
>>
>>64116063
There's a lot of cool stuff like this released every year.

Hope you check out some interesting stuff in the coming years.
>>
>>64116300
nice rick. did you paint the headstock yourself?
>>
>>64116603
No I got it all fucked up like this at a garage sale

I'd like to get it refinished by a professional
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>64116300
Always nice to see ya around! Ever get the reel fixed?
>>
>>64117662
NO

I ordered a belt and they sent me the wrong one twice I was so pissed

I cleaned all the old belt off with isopropyl but it's still sans belt

They had better not fuck up this time it took like 2 months last time
>>
>>64114703
Nice collection!
>>
>>64117662
That setup...droooool
>>
I'm just getting started here and I'm wondering what are some good starting monitors? anything around the $150 range?
>>
>>64117662

Rythmik L12?

I got the same, but with the all black woofer. Indeed a beast. Fast, tight, and just disappears into the room.
>>
>>64118112

Check out the affordable accuracy monitor. 45 over your budget, but you'll be hard pressed to find anything new in that price range as good.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/
>>
>>64118202
thanks my dude
>>
My collection so far:

35007 - s/t aka "Into the Void We Traveled"
35007 - Liquid
Acid King - Busse Woods
Bjork - Vespertine
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Boris - New Album
Causa Sui - Summer Sessions Volumes 1-3
Colour Haze - CO2
Colour Haze - s/t
Dead Meadow - s/t
Earth - Pentastar: In the Style of Demons
Earthless - Rhythms from a Cosmic Sky
Earthlings? - s/t
Electric Wizard - Come my Fanatics
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Electric Wizard - s/t
Enslaved - In Times
Enslaved - Ruun
Fatso Jetson - Toasted
Fu Manchu - Return to Earth 91 - 93
Graveyard - Hisingen Blues
Hawkwind - Space Ritual
Iggy Pop & Josh Homme - Post Pop Depression
Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Isis - Oceanic
J. Spaceman & Sun City Girls - Soundtrack to the Harmony Korine film "Mister Lonely"
Jimi Hendrix - The Essential Jimi Hendrix Volume 2
John Cage - Early Electronic and Tape Music
Kurt Stenzel - Soundtrack to the documentary "Jodorowsky's Dune"
Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Melvins - Eggnog + Lysol double-EP
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (acquired used for $1)
Mr Bungle - Disco Volante (damaged)
Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff
Natural Snow Buildings - The Snowbringer Cult
Neil Young - Harvest
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
Queens of the Stone Age - s/t
Sleep - Dopesmoker
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Sonic Youth - EVOL
Sons of Kyuss - s/t
Spacemen 3 - Sound of Confusion
Stereolab - Dots and Loops
Sun Ra - Space is the Place
Sunn & Ulver - Terrestrials
Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
Tame Impala - Lonerism
The Clash - London Calling
The Stooges - Fun House
Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Szuletett
Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary
Yawning Man - Nomadic Pursuits
>>
>>64115745
>no counterweight
vinyl eater confirmed
>>
File: image.jpg (284 KB, 1242x1440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
284 KB, 1242x1440
I wouldn't go lower than good condition. I'd rather have a good condition first press rather than mint reissue.

>>64114084
Find an amp/receiver that was made around the 70s with a good phono stage and low s/n ratio. You may have to take some deoxit to the switches.

Sony ps-20f with ortofon 2m red, kenwood ka701 powering Dynaco a25's. Sounds decent.
>>
File: 20160417_155404-1.jpg (3 MB, 1762x2838) Image search: [Google]
20160417_155404-1.jpg
3 MB, 1762x2838
Hello, I'm using the built in pre-amp through some shitty desktop speakers.

Would someone recommend me a good amp/receiver. Happy to consider vintage or new, as it's a new TT should I pair it with new gear anyway?
>>
File: p1070973_561710.jpg (151 KB, 640x281) Image search: [Google]
p1070973_561710.jpg
151 KB, 640x281
>>64122872
you should take the speakers and subwoofer and move them away from the record player.

Look on your local craigslist for vintage (late 60s mid/late 70s) integrated amps or receivers. pioneer, kenwood, yamaha, marantz, etc.

it doesn't really matter if you match new with vintage. though vintage amps/receivers definitely were made better back in the day.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.