[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>A massive black hole releases sound waves in a deep bass
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
>A massive black hole releases sound waves in a deep bass pitch, astronomers have found.
>They found the pitch of the sound is about 57 octaves below middle C, which is roughly the middle of a standard piano keyboard.
>The tone frequency is more than a million, billion times deeper than the limits of the human ear, the researchers said.
>It is "the lowest note known in the universe," said Fabian.

>you will never hear the most patrician sound in all of space-time

music for this feel?
>>
>>64083718
>music for this feel?
Gucci Mane
>>
Space doesn't transmit sound
>>
>>64085062
All that means is sound doesn't travel.
>>
>>64085097
And all that means is that you can't hear it
>>
>>64085270
You could hear it if you were there, obviously. That's his whole point.
>>
>>64085309
You couldn't hear anything if you were inside a black whole
>>
>>64085062
>>64085097
>>64085270
>>64085309
>>64085378
smartest thread on /mu/
>>
>music for this feel?
Muse - super massive black hole
>>
>>64083718
just middle C whilst yelling "57 OCTAVES BELOW"
>>
As for the "space can't transmit sound" part, I'm guessing it's maybe a localized thing, as in that the waves are only where there is matter that could transmit sound (aka, the black hole itself). Another possibility could be that the waves are going through the space-time "blanket" itself.
Don't know if either of those are it, but they seem like viable options.
>>
Sunn O))) btfo
But wait sound can't escape a black hole this doesn't make sense.
>>
>>64088878
you dumbass nigga black holes spew matter and waves all the time perpendicular to the plane of the accretion disk.

you're talking about the inside of the event horizon which doesn't let anything escape, but tons of matter orbits and swirls around outside the event horizon
>>
How can the sound exist if it can't travel thiugh?

Waves are defined by their movement. If the vibrations can't actually move, it's not actually sound.

And I'm not a physics genius or anything, but since there is a virtually infinite amount of pull towards the singularity, how could sound travel even if there was air?
>>
>>64089276
see >>64089248

besides, space isn't a complete vacuum
>>
>>64088878
>Sunn O))) btfo
kek
>>
>>64083718
>57 octaves below middle C
>you will never hear

Pffffft, I'm just gonna go get 57 pitch-shift pedals.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.