[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of collecting vinyl records?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 6
File: $_12.jpg (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
$_12.jpg
21 KB, 500x500
What's the point of collecting vinyl records?
>>
Self satisfaction
Fun
>>
Showing off
Compensating for shit you don't have
>>
>>64078876
>what's the point of collecting?
>>
>>64078876
Collecting is fun, physically looking for stuff in bins is fun, listening to it is fun
>>
What's the point of living ?
>>
>>64078876
Great thread op

I'll be sure to poke my head in here later and see how much of a shitfest it devolves into
>>
Why are we here?
>>
>>64078931
>>64079805
these

>>64078952
no.

Seriously, it's just fun to collect things, and if you're a fan of an artist/album why not support them by buying physical copies?
>>
What's the point of collecting anything at all?
>>
whats the point of anything at all?
>>
What even is anything?
>>
File: IMG_20160415_193105.jpg (2 MB, 2368x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160415_193105.jpg
2 MB, 2368x3200
>>64079805
This

Just got back from thrifting and they had lots of cool shit for pennies.
>>
i can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all
>>
Its fun, don't believe any of that shit about it sounding better.

I feel like it deepens my connection with the music, the whole process is just more exciting than torrenting shit from what.cd and pressing play on my media player.

Getting them in the mail, rummaging through bins, plus the art looks better blown up and they can do neat things with inserts, packaging, record color etc., its all just a lot of fun
>>
To impress hipster girls.
>>
The satisfaction of having your favorite records on a physical format, especially when the music is grooved in.

The people who say it's because of "muh sound quality" is bs though. You can have the same sound quality through FLAC

>>64081310
also this
>>
Is it weird that I get more satisfaction from having a record shipped from across the globe as opposed to going to a physical storefront and searching for the records I want?
>>
>>64080497
my fucking nigger

I agree with the other anons, you have to be pretty autistic to do it for sound quality. Its mainly the ritual of putting the record on and listening to the whole thing, while looking at the sleeve/gatefold. Its an activity, to actively engage with the music, the same way I hope your parents and maybe even their parents did
>>
>>64081478

Also this
>>64081310
Hipster chicks schlick to vinyl they've never heard of before
>>
I rarely listen to the twenty-odd records I have but I love having them. Most of my collection is pre-Beatles rock 'n' roll.
>>
Same reason you'd collect anything.
>>
>>64080497
I love 39' probably my favorite from Queen
>>
File: image_1.jpg (166 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image_1.jpg
166 KB, 1136x640
>>64081557
>>
>>64080513
das deep mane
>>
>>64078876
Why the fuck do hipsters buy records if they even listen to them. Whats the point?
>>
>>64080497
damn, nice haul anon
>>
>>64080513
damn..
>>
>>64083026
i've never met this woman and i hate her
>>
>>64078876
Hobby.
>>
Because it's kinda nice to have a physical copy of music that you like, and and it actually supports the artists career
>>
>tfw picked up loveless and diamond dogs from a market in perfect condition for $15
>began suspecting they might be bootlegs the second the money left my hand
They sound like the real deal, but they're both colored vinyl which causes a little doubt and I can't help but be suspicious of good quality records being so cheap.
>>
>>64084813
Yeah, colored Loveless is definitely bootleg.
>>
Whats the point of living?
>>
https://youtu.be/178HTgA2Gls

This
>>
Objective reasons to buy LPs:

- A lot, and I mean a goddamn fuckton, of music never made it to any other recording medium.

- The LP version will often be the best master available. This even remains true for newer music since the format's limitations don't allow it to be compressed to oblivion.

And the subjective reasons should be obvious. More fun. You get a physical copy. More tactile medium. Etc.
>>
>>64084854
Oh well, they sound as good as the real thing and I'm not a record dealer, I have no reason to care about their value being diminished by their inauthenticity. It's good to have confirmation, thanks man.
>>
>>64084929

To collect.
>>
>>64081347
I'm the same.
I get more satisfaction from opening th package and just get excited knowing it's somewhere coming for me
>>
>>64084570
While most of it goes to the jews.

Once the artist is dead all the money goes to the jews.
>>
>>64082792
Do you understand what the song is about?
>>
>>64085070
Most artists are independent/self-releasing material.

Nice try though.
>>
>>64083026
>memeford and sons

ree, etc
>>
If I want to buy a record player, which one should I get?
>>
File: 1443472928110.jpg (42 KB, 491x491) Image search: [Google]
1443472928110.jpg
42 KB, 491x491
>>64085118
JIDF pls
>>
>>64078876
To look like a hipster faggot, to show off.
CD's > Vinyl

Or if you live in Melbourne and listen to shitty hipster music like psychedelic rock, pop, etc etc
>>
>>64085118
That's what they want you to think
>>
>>64085146
At least an AT-LP120 or a U-Turn Orbit
>>
>>64085070

Torrenting just further enriches the ISP "Jews."
>>
>>64085157
cassette > CD's

get on my level plebian
>>
>>64085298
I dont seed to the jews
>>
>>64085314
And I pay less. So the telstra jews arnt really jews after all. They are probably Asians
>>
>>64085314
Choosing CD's is much more interesting than vinyl, right.
>>
>>64085463
I'd rather just download it then listen to a CD. Vinyl is more fun for actual physical copy to listen to. It's a completely different experience then listening to a CD.
>>
>>64085463
I prefer cds because you can carry your music in something extremely slim and small and have multiple stacked in your car.
>>
>>64085837
Exactly and most cars have a cd player. Or a shitty caset player. But no vinyl

>>64085808
You know why? Cause vinyl is a meme.
Id rather download it instead of buying a $15 record I could buy for $5 as a CD
>>
>>64085927
Its like stamp collecting

To some people its totally worth the time and effort, and other people don't get it. If you don't see the value, that's fine.

As long as you're listening to music, you're doing it right
>>
>>64085927
There is better/bigger packaging with vinyl.
>>
>>64085976
No where as near. Collecting CD's and casets is better than collecting vinyl.

>>64085981
That is the problem
>>
File: chrysler-car-record-player.jpg (59 KB, 468x391) Image search: [Google]
chrysler-car-record-player.jpg
59 KB, 468x391
>>64085927
>he doesn't have a turntable in his car

Pleb.
>>
>>64086032
>That is the problem
You mean people listening to music casually on digital devices and not paying attention to the music? or people playing CDs in the car and not perceiving the full frequency spectrum intended by the artist?
>>
to have physical media
>>
>>64081478
I don't do it purely for sound quality, but you have to admit a crisp record on a quality setup sounds pretty fuckin good man.
>>
>>64080497
>3 Chicago Albums
>Boingo
great taste!
>>
Collecting vinyl is great: here is some of the reasons why I do it

1. It looks cool as fuck
2. It requires attention to the album, which causes you to enjoy it more
3. You have to search for vinyl
4.Going to record stores is a social activity
5. Vinyl sounds cool
>>
>>64087595
>social activity
Montie don't lie to yourself
>>
>>64087595
>Going to record stores is a social activity

So going to a record store to buy a CD isn't social but if you're buying Vinyl it is?
>>
>>64087814
Yes because there is a specific vinyl community, not a CD community.
>>
>>64087962
>implying there isn't a CD community
oh anon...
>>
>>64087993
Prove it
>>
>>64088028
oh anon...
>>
>>64088250
Which community is it?
>>
As much as I'd like to start collecting vinyl, I feel it would just be too expensive of a hobby. I'd also be tempted to buy and collect all the music I already have all over again.
>>
>>64087962
record stores make me anti-social. I'm always afraid someone will grab the record I want before I can get to it and resent them.
>>
>>64087595
>cool
Found the hipster only into vinyl for the "cool" points.

>which causes you to enjoy it more

If you didn't have a shit attention span you could enjoy other formats just as much as vinyl, that's not other formats fault.

>You have to search for vinyl

Uhh, ever hear of discogs?

>Going to record stores is a social activity

Why would you buy from record stores when you can get better deals online most of the time?

>Vinyl sounds cool

Lmao. Not even trying now.
>>
>>64087962
That's because only wanna be hipsters shop at record stores instead of buying online and getting not only better prices but a far better selection.
>>
>>64087962
>there is a specific vinyl community

Sadly it's mostly just composed of losers with shitty /mu/core taste that think they have good taste in music by listening to the same bands as everyone else.
>>
>>64086114
I think he meant that records take up too much space.

> CDs having worse sound then vinyl

Nice meme. Next you're gonna say that hi-res files have the best sound out of all.
>>
>>64088945

>Why would you buy from record stores when you can get better deals online most of the time?

Maybe because I enjoy supporting local stores and enjoy going to them?
>>
>>64089214
They have such terrible selections though. Even the best ones only have 1/1000th of what you can find online, and usually just stock really obvious popular stuff.
>>
>>64088945
nice bait
>>
>>64089282
You must live by a shitty store then
>>
>>64089282
Sorry that they don't carry vaporwave
>>
>>64089294
Try to refute my points instead of just calling it bait, you can't.
>>
>>64089314
You must have entry level taste in music then.

>>64089317

Who said I like vaporwave. Most stores lack an any type of underground music though.
>>
>>64089366
exmilitary first press vinyl mint condition isn't underground music
>>
Cause they are neat.
>>
>>64089695
Found the Swans fan.
>>
>>64080497
>Yes and Chicago
my nigga
>>
>>64080497
You found common thrift store records at a thrift store, who cares.
>>
>>64088945
>Found the hipster only into vinyl for the "cool" points.

I think he meant "cool" here regarding the way it looks, that he enjoys it looking at it as a physical object. Nothing "hipster" about that.

>If you didn't have a shit attention span you could enjoy other formats just as much as vinyl, that's not other formats fault.

There's no arguing that, but for some people, the interactivity of playing a record or even a CD forces them to pay attention to it more.

>Uhh, ever hear of discogs?

I think he was talking about crate digging here. Discogs can't replicate the experience of finding a hidden gem among all the 50's Easy Listening records in the 1.00 bin.

>Why would you buy from record stores when you can get better deals online most of the time?

Not for used records. And you can inspect it yourself rather than rely on the online seller's personal grade. Also, many record stores will allow you to listen to sections of the record. So you might find a record that's has some slight damage that plays perfectly, and you'll get it for cheap because it was in the discount bin because it had a slight warp or some other cosmetic blemish.

Not sure what sounds cool means, but he probably likes some of format's imperfections (although a well taken care of LP played back on a good system should sound as quiet as a CD).
>>
>>64090612
>I think he was talking about crate digging here. Discogs can't replicate the experience of finding a hidden gem among all the 50's Easy Listening records in the 1.00 bin.

Actually I've found more insane deals online then at record stores/ thrift stores. People often list records or cds way cheaper then what they normally sell for, one time I got $1500 worth of cds for $200 off ebay. (270 cds total, one single cd in the lot I sold for $150 by itself)

> Not for used records. And you can inspect it yourself rather than rely on the online seller's personal grade. Also, many record stores will allow you to listen to sections of the record. So you might find a record that's has some slight damage that plays perfectly, and you'll get it for cheap because it was in the discount bin because it had a slight warp or some other cosmetic blemish.

Again, I've found tons of great deals online (ebay, discogs, craigslist) I do like being able to inspect records at a record store though, I'll give you that much. Though if I get something online that's misgraded I can return it pretty easily.
>>
>>64090753

Yeah, it's definitely the time to buy CDs right now on eBay, since they're way, way undervalued by most sellers (most of them are probably storage unit buyers just looking to unload them quickly in lots, so they don't do any research).

Yes, there can be great deals online, but it's not a zero sum affair. You can support your local record store, getting great deals, and still buy online.

Do we really want another Starbucks or 99 cent store?
>>
>>64091045
The only local stores I buy cds and records from are thrift stores nowadays, the record stores are too far away and when I went to them the selections were nothing special. What record store do you go to that's good?
>>
I only get the vinyl of albums I pretty much worship. So naturally I only have about five records.
>>
File: amoeba-from-second-story.jpg (378 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
amoeba-from-second-story.jpg
378 KB, 1024x683
>>64091084

Amoeba records in LA is good. And there's some Mom and Pop haunts around here that are pretty good. Also, since CDs are "passe" at the moment, a lot record stores are practically giving them away.
>>
>>64091330
Yeah I bet but I don't live anywhere near a record store like Amoeba, the closest one nearby has maybe 1/100th of the selection of Amoeba if that. The ones I went to were charging too much for cds as well, though I get a lot of good deals on cds at thrift stores, same with records. (vinyl and cds are 50 cents to $1 each each at most of the thrift stores near here)
>>
>>64091469

Yeah, it all depends on where you live. IMO, thrift stores are still the best for finding strange shit that don't even have a Discogs entry, are listed on eBay, etc, etc.
>>
>>64090539
well, I'd say that anon's lucky by comparison. All my local thrift stores ever have are Belafonte, Streisand, and that god damn Firestone Christmas album.
>>
Thrift stores are fun because 99% of the time you won't find shit, but then one day you go and find a jackpot. I've found everything from sealed Dylan records, Quardophonic Pet Sounds, Original pressing of Blue Trane, even more modern stuff like Interpol and Outkast. All of it costs $1 each and worth over $50 each.
>>
>>64092123
Hell I wish I could score some Belafonte.

It's always 70s soft rock, of which only Englebert Humperdinck is acceptable.
>>
>>64090539
I don't deny they're common thrift records, but ever since the "vinyl revival" good albums have been increasingly hard to find for cheap, since everyone's rebuying them.
>>
>>64082792

Good taste anon
>>
>>64080497
Mike W???
>>
>>64081347
nah i fucking love shopping on discogs

and foreign mail in general. it looks so classy especially the cool stamps on them
>>
>>64084965
her taste is like a solid 3 steps above the average normie girl at least she goes to shows and support artist she loves.
>>
>>64088387
>I feel it would just be too expensive of a hobby. I'd also be tempted to buy and collect all the music I already have all over again.
you can avoid both of these problems by buying cheap old vinyl from thrift shops and old record stores

chances are it's something u never heard before
>>
The fun for me is going to a used record shop having no idea what they'll have available since they get new records in every week and finding something unexpected that you really like.

But it all depends on where you live I guess, I live in a fairly small town but have lots of places around to find records at without too much competition.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.