[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /mu/ planning on getting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8
File: 418456950661-350.jpg (60 KB, 350x266) Image search: [Google]
418456950661-350.jpg
60 KB, 350x266
What is /mu/ planning on getting?
>>
whatever is uploaded to what
>>
>>64071908
xiu xiu and nurse with wound, maybe the alternative tentacles release
>>
File: 1459600003090.jpg (47 KB, 621x502) Image search: [Google]
1459600003090.jpg
47 KB, 621x502
>>64071908
>tfw I just want the Elevators by Outkast single
>tfw scared my store isn't going to get it
>tfw this will be scalped to hell on ebay
Help me out what are some tips for my situation /mu/ I just want my Outkast single
>>
Nothing, fuck RSD.
>>
>>64071994
get there early and if they don't have it ask if they could order them in. if neither work i guess if you have any friends around who could go to other record stores and look out for you.
>>
>>64071999
it is a scam desu
>>
>>64071908
If I go I might look for the Bob Dylan EP with the new tracks, but I mostly stick to non-RSD when I go. The day was created to support indie record stores and I'd rather do that than participate in a marketing ploy.
That being said, I really wanted the vinyl single of Bowie's Tis a Pity She Was a Whore from black Friday 2 years ago, but they were all gone by the time I got there.
>>
Nothing, just going to see the live performance
>>
nothing because i've have to work literally every RSD since I knew it was a thing
>>
Going to some estate sales that day so I might something there.
>>
>>64071908
dat Xiu Xiu nigga
>>
>>64072030
What do you mean to ask if they can order it?
>>
>>64071946
What's Nurse with Wound releasing? I don't remember seeing anything on the official list. Is it not available is the US?
>>
>>64072060
Is the Man Who Sold the World album they're gonna have even worth it
>>
>>64072186
No. Not unless you like over-priced picture disc. Might go for a lot on ebay though, depending on how well it sells
>>
How early should I be at my local store, they open at 11am and always have huge lines for RSD
>>
Loose Joints singles collection and the Soul Jazz New Orleans Funk comp are at the top of the list for me, plus maybe the Parris Mitchell thing

that all depends on whether the store i go to decides to stock some of the interesting stuff, and not just the boring dad rock reissues
>>
>>64071908
I need that Xiu Xiu

but I probably won't go anyway
>>
Zappa, Residents, Goblin, Umiliani, Pinhas... not that my local stores will have any of those. Fuck RSD.
>>
>>64072349
probably 6 or 7 to be in first 15
>>
>>64072148
some shit i remember last year they just asked for a copy of it and he (recordshop owner) said he might be able to get it in. but i don't think it was like a only 1000 pressing or something like that, some more mass produced shit. But still worth an ask,

>>64072166
its just a repressing in orange vinyl for the uk, nothing special it'd just be nice to have some NWW on vinyl
>>
>>64072349
4am
>>64072792
couldn't you ask for your store to order them in before?
>>
Whatever I can flip for the most on ebay.
>>
>>64071908
Some used CDs as per usual
>>
>hipsters flock the record stores to buy shitty reissues in gimmicky colors just because they had a RSD sticker on it.

i'll pass.
>>
>>64072991
Nope, most of these are "regional focus releases" so not for here in Canada, and also last year the stores tried to get a lot of things that never got delivered.
>>
>buying into this record JEW tactics

good goyim
>>
File: 1457518481371.jpg (42 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1457518481371.jpg
42 KB, 500x501
>>64071999
>>64072054
>>64072060
>>64073393
>hurr RSD is across-the-board terrible xD

Yeah, RSD is more or less total cancer, but acting like literally everything and everyone that's involved in it is mass produced pleb bile not worth buying or supporting is just ignorant as fuck. There's always at least a handful of good releases that actually benefit the small labels and lesser known bands RSD was intended to support. I also am grabbing it at a record store I shop at twice a month so I'm not part of the infamous "slow period" before and after RSD where everyone is saving their money for a big splurge.

Reminder that RSD was originally great for record stores and labels, but was swiftly overtaken by big name record labels who started pressing stupid shit on picture discs that you can and should find for much, much cheaper.

Reminder that RSD still has some of those small labels and lesser known releases that RSD was originally so loved for.

Reminder that things need to change but blindly hating on RSD and everyone who participates in it won't fix a thing.
>>
>>64071908
record store day is shit for people who buy records and worse for people who make records

thequietus.com/articles/19946-record-store-day-2016-shops-bad-reissues-bleugh
>>
>>64071908
Nothing. Fuck the vinyl revival and the horse it rode in on.
>>
>>64073697
I want to address the list of issues that article lays out:

1) This is a worrying trend but RSD isn't the cause of it; buyers are. It's not the inherent fault of RSD that people save money for a big splurge then wait a bit to cool off before buying more, and not all consumers follow that pattern. Also do note that he says "All the ones I know say no." which is entirely subjective. I've spoken to the owner of my local record store and he's told me to my face that participating in RSD has improved profits overall. So before making a sweeping statement about RSD, look into how it affects your local record store(s).

2) This is kind of bullshit. All it's saying is that record stores are littered with "pleb shit" because of bad RSD releases.

3) This is a fair point and a serious issue.

4) This is an EXTREMELY fair point and a very serious issue. RSD is bloated as all fuck right now.

5) Flippers are cancer but they don't exist specifically because of RSD; limited edition repressings of famous shit that look pretty are the dumb bullshit that encourages flippers to hoard RSD exclusives and flip them. But not all RSD releases are like that, and flippers don't exist solely because of the releases that are like that.

6) I don't get this one. If a customer shows up late and misses something of a finite amount, the shop isn't responsible. If the customer directs the disappointments towards the store for not having enough companies they're probably a shit customer anyway.

So to conclude, much of the article is totally on point but the article is not shitting on RSD as a whole even though the misleading title will tell you that. This article is attacking the MASSIVELY excessively major label releases that clog up pressing factories and get flipped on ebay for absurd amounts. So drop the bullshit about RSD being cancer beyond salvation.
>>
File: tg!t.jpg (98 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
tg!t.jpg
98 KB, 700x700
>tfw only buying reissue of the go! team - thunder lightning strike
>tfw pressed by memphis industries, indie label and home of the go! team
>tfw the go! team has been talking excitedly about how good the pressing is and posting vids of it on fb
>tfw anons itt bullying me for participating in rsd at all

p-please stop
>>
I just want Regina Spektors represses, im not expecting there to be any left when I arrive though.
>>
>>64074143
>>buying reissue

Might as well burn your digital copy on a CDr and call it a "reomaster". Unless you're getting a "rare" reissue then you're more than getting a digital compression that's worth next to nothing.
>>
>>64074143
this, if i didn't have an exam tomorrow i would be getting this (if my stores even got it)
>>
>>64074424
nice buzzwords

i can tell you learned everything you know about vinyl by reading some words on this board

>unless you're getting "rare" reissue

that has zero to do w/ fidelity

>you're more than getting a digital compression

this isn't english

>that's worth next to nothing

literally every pressing of this album is digitally mastered bc the album is from 2004 and i'm buying this reissue because it'll be cheaper than buying any of the old pressings

>>64074488
that sucks senpai. who has exams on saturdays though?

i didn't even consider whether or not my store would get it in stock but i think it will. hopefully. i'm lining up really early and this is the only thing i'm looking to buy so i'll be sad if it's not there.
>>
>releases that are otherwise easily available as well on vinyl
>releases that offer nothing new
>releases that noone ever felt the need to listen until it became collectible
>such "quality" labels like Back on Black releasing shit on RSD
>clowning around with extreme limitations and colored vinyls just to build hype
>heavily overprized releases
>hoarding releases to sell the aforementioned shit on Ebay to people who think they need any of this

There's nothing like saying "I love music" like buying White Stripes singles for 15$ each, or whatever they sell. If they are what is needed to save the record industry, then fuck the record industry.
>>
>>64074524
>that has zero to do w/ fidelity

Never implied that it did, I was saying it's worthless.

>this isn't english

Meant to say "you're more or less getting".

>literally every pressing of this album is digitally mastered bc the album is from 2004 and i'm buying this reissue because it'll be cheaper than buying any of the old pressings

So you're intentionally buying a placebo for the "warmness" of vinyl? That is the type of cancer that has made records worthless.

Regards, someone who has been collecting for near a decade and has over 400 Records and CDs.
>>
>>64074614
Oh yeah, I forgot:

>records without sleeves or other stupid gimmicks
>RSD shit clogging up factories and delaying other releases
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 246x291) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 246x291
Broke
>>
>>64074634
>Never implied that it did, I was saying it's worthless.

that sounds awfully subjective, anon

>Meant to say "you're more or less getting".

okay, that's still objectively wrong because it's mastered by the guy who originally mastered the album back in 2004/2005, so the only way this record would sound bad is if the album itself sounded bad. and it doesn't

>So you're intentionally buying a placebo for the "warmness" of vinyl?

no, i'm buying it so that i can own a physical copy of an album i really enjoy, support the label that the band is signed under, and in turn support the band who made the album i really enjoy.

>Regards, someone who has been collecting for near a decade and has over 400 Records and CDs.

lol i've been collecting for just under 2 years and already have 300 records. go fuck yourself, retard. go shake your cane on /r/vinyl at the millennials who you THINK don't know anything about records even though they know just as much if not more than you.
>>
808 state
>>
>>64071908
Nothing, it's a terrible marketing scheme.
And I already am € 200 over my record budget halfway into the month.
>>
>>64074700
>that sounds awfully subjective, anon

Hmm let's check the facts:

Original Presshttps://www.discogs.com/Go-Team-Thunder-Lightning-Strike/release/326095 €30

Newest Repress (2005) https://www.discogs.com/The-Go-Team-Thunder-Lightning-Strike/release/2236350 €18

So unless you're getting this Reissue for €10 or less (lolno as it's RSD) you're losing money and wasting it at the same time.

>okay, that's still objectively wrong because it's mastered by the guy who originally mastered the album back in 2004/2005, so the only way this record would sound bad is if the album itself sounded bad. and it doesn't

It's commonly known (http://vinyljunkies.co/vinyl-101-original-vs-reissue/) that Reissues are taken from digital files in 99% of the time unless otherwise stated so it's more than likely that this is too, so yes the quality will be bad as it'll be digital files compressed on LP.

>no, i'm buying it so that i can own a physical copy of an album i really enjoy, support the label that the band is signed under, and in turn support the band who made the album i really enjoy.

Then buy the CD and support the artist at the same time instead of wanting Hipster Cred.

>lol i've been collecting for just under 2 years and already have 300 records. go fuck yourself, retard. go shake your cane on /r/vinyl at the millennials who you THINK don't know anything about records even though they know just as much if not more than you.

You buy shitty reissues so I'm not surprised, I buy First Press and spend upwards of €200 for a single release, so it's the old rule of "quality not quantity". You think you know a lot by buying shoddy reissues and getting approval from neo-/mu/ but really you're a delusional fgt with no idea about quality.
>>
My record store guy was getting suspicious of me flipping records last year cause I kept going back to the store every hour after selling something on ebay. I thought he was going to kick me out.
>>
>>64071946
>>64072166
Fuck off I'm supposed to get NWW.
>>
>>64075003
>kept going back to the store every hour after selling something on ebay

This doesn't make sense. You bought a record from the shop, "sold" it on ebay and came back to buy more all in an hour?
>>
I'm just going to look for used records of interest that will be on sale in stores, hoping to find some good deals for jazz records or house/techno 12"s
>>
>>64074956
>let's check the facts

lol, m8. do you think i haven't done research?

an OG pressing means spending 50 due to the base price of 42 bucks and overseas shipping, and almost 60 if i want my record to be shipped from the US (where i reside).

the most recent repress HAS NO CURRENT FUCKING SELLERS.

the median price is not an accurate measure of how much i would need to spend for an earlier pressing. it's a measure of the fucking median of every sale of that particular pressing. unless i want to wait for the most recent pressing to *maybe* go on sale for the median price and by a seller in the US, then the upcoming repress is a good purchase.

>It's commonly known ...

no shit retard. yeah, buying a 70s prog album that's been digitally remastered and suffered from the effects of the loudness war is fucking retarded. but this will not suffer in such a way. it was digitally mastered in 2004, it's digitally mastered now, and it's mastered by the exact same fucking guy. are you an idiot?

>Then buy the CD and support the artist at the same time instead of wanting Hipster Cred.

thanks for telling me how to spend my money and what motives exist behind my purchases i appreciate it. are you autistic?

>You buy shitty reissues so I'm not surprised

very very few of my purchases are reissues save for maybe a dozen or so. i mostly buy OG pressings of 60s and 70s rock, or underappreciated 80s synthpop, as well as some overlooked 00s rock acts that only got one pressing. why don't you drop the condescending attitude and admit that you know fuck all about me, what i buy, and why i buy it?

send me your discogs collection, gramps. i wanna see what a full fuckin' decade of autismally collecting exceedingly expensive OG pressings has earned you.

(ps: older =/= better you retard. there are plenty of cases where the earliest possible pressing doesn't yield the highest fidelity, particularly albums released on capitol in the mid 60s.)
>>
>>64075169
>I'm a Record Snob: The post

I hope you have a blog out there somewhere sharing your rips.
>>
who even gives a shit about rock music?
>>
>>64075241
What does rock music have to do with RSD? They have all genres.
>>
>>64075263
yeah, but nothing of value.
>>
>>64075169
>the median price is not an accurate measure of how much i would need to spend for an earlier pressing. it's a measure of the fucking median of every sale of that particular pressing. unless i want to wait for the most recent pressing to *maybe* go on sale for the median price and by a seller in the US, then the upcoming repress is a good purchase.

So you're impatient and can't wait for someone to flip it at a decent price?

>no shit retard. yeah, buying a 70s prog album that's been digitally remastered and suffered from the effects of the loudness war is fucking retarded. but this will not suffer in such a way. it was digitally mastered in 2004, it's digitally mastered now, and it's mastered by the exact same fucking guy. are you an idiot?

"I'm pretending that the fact it was originally stupid to press it on LP makes it even worse to repress it from an already bad source".

>thanks for telling me how to spend my money and what motives exist behind my purchases i appreciate it. are you autistic?

You accused me of buzz words but that's all you can use as you can't refute me, it's cute.

>very very few of my purchases are reissues save for maybe a dozen or so. i mostly buy OG pressings of 60s and 70s rock, or underappreciated 80s synthpop, as well as some overlooked 00s rock acts that only got one pressing. why don't you drop the condescending attitude and admit that you know fuck all about me, what i buy, and why i buy it?

Sure about that? By the way "OG" pressings of Mike Oldfield and Tears for Fears doesn't mean anything as they're also worthless, unless you got them for €1-2.

>send me your discogs collection

Why should I?

>(ps: older =/= better you retard. there are plenty of cases where the earliest possible pressing doesn't yield the highest fidelity, particularly albums released on capitol in the mid 60s.)

Nobody said otherwise.

It's clear you've been collecting for 2 years, in all honesty, enjoy paying to be ripped off.
>>
nothing because i haven't checked what's coming out and i live outside the US so I'd not get anything good anyway
>>
>>64075205
the idiot i'm talking to is the snob, mate. go get mad at him.

>So you're impatient and can't wait for someone to flip it at a decent price?

1) you don't know what flipping is so that's cool
2) i'm not willing to wait for someone to POTENTIALLY sell it at the median price and from a location where i don't need to pay an inordinate sum for shipping, no. too many variables. sellers don't always opt for the most logical price and not all sellers are from the US, and i'm not willing to wait for the stars to align when this perfect good release is right there.

>"I'm pretending that the fact it was originally stupid to press it on LP makes it even worse to repress it from an already bad source".

i'm stating that this reissue is no less good sounding/expensive than an original pressing, which is an argument you keep claiming to make. if you're a retard who's obsessed with the idea that no digital masters belong on wax, then that's your prerogative.

>You accused me of buzz words but that's all you can use as you can't refute me, it's cute.

excuse me? "hipster" as a prerogative is THE number one "i don't have an argument" buzzword mate. let's not throw stones when we live in a glass house, okay?

>Sure about that?

quite certain

>By the way "OG" pressings of Mike Oldfield and Tears for Fears doesn't mean anything as they're also worthless

okay..? i've never spent a penny on a record by either of them but thanks for the heads up mate

>Why should I?

as i said: "i wanna see what a full fuckin' decade of autismally collecting exceedingly expensive OG pressings has earned you."

>Nobody said otherwise.

you have been HEAVILY implying it.

>It's clear you've been collecting for 2 years, in all honesty, enjoy paying to be ripped off.

"i lost the argument but you're a pleb and not as good as buying things as i am, lol get owned!"

nice one, bud.
>>
>>64075390
forgot to quote you, here's your (You): >>64075285

how do you sleep at night knowing how worked up you get over how other people use their money in spite of the fact that they actually do more research and are more well versed in their purchase than you are in spite of 8 years less of "experience"? i can't imagine a sadder existence tbqhfam
>>
>>64075390
>>64075424
Why are you still replying my man, trying to justify your idiotic position is fine but this is pretty sad, just stop.
>>
>>64075463
yeah, it's almost as sad as trying to tell someone they're making a poor purchase then getting btfo as you slowly realize how completely misguided you are both in your knowledge of record collecting and of their buying habits.

oh, and
>implying i could ever be considered at fault for purchasing a new pressing and directly supporting an indie label and the band signed under it rather than giving some nobody on the internet my money

i can keep going, my man. maybe this will teach you a lesson in humility; you could use one.
>>
File: 1460173620477.png (232 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
1460173620477.png
232 KB, 540x304
Nothing because I don't live near one
>>
xiu xiu. I had tickets to see it live but I got locked up in a hospital and fucking missed it
>>
File: trips.jpg (34 KB, 800x472) Image search: [Google]
trips.jpg
34 KB, 800x472
>>64076555
nice trips

Looking for the Xiu Xiu too. Hope it's not too popular, I don't want to end up spending $100 on ebay.

Story about missing the show, though?
>>
>>64071908
Ur mom
>>
>>81857783
John Frusciante, Xiu Xiu, the Japanese psych-rock sampler, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson... There isn't really anything I'm desperately hunting for but if I come across any if them I'll grab them. It's mostly just the sales that draws me to RSD.
>>
File: file.jpg (87 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
87 KB, 500x375
>>64072349
>tfw there's always a fucknormous lineup at all the local record stores with early openings.
>tfw there's one store in town that doesn't open until 11,and every RSD without fail I just casually show up at the door around 10 and be one of the first 3-4 people in line since everyone else in town is desperately jamming up the other stores that opened earlier
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.