[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what the fuck is it with this album. I though shoegaze was something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: mybloo-lovele_04.jpg (220 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
mybloo-lovele_04.jpg
220 KB, 1400x1400
what the fuck is it with this album. I though shoegaze was something like alcest or les discrets but less eerie and more dreamy (like alcest's shelter for example.) this is literally MGMT with distorted guitars and it sounds awful. should I give it another go to see if I can finally see what's so good about this record or should I just delete it now?
>>
Keep listening to it, its a very rewarding album
>>
I love this album and think MGMT is mostly shit so clearly you're missing something.
>>
one of the best albums of all time. if you don't like it you might just have shit taste.
>>
>>64055470
>this is literally MGMT with distorted guitars
are you the same guy who thought bruce springsteen sounded like coldplay?
>>
>refers to loveless as "literally" MGMT
>l m a o
>>
>>64055651
no but I do think this album sounds like coldplay
>>
MGMT's Congratulations is a fantastic album but Loveless shits on anything they have ever done. Try again retard.
>>
It's ok if you don't like this sound. No one said you should like it. It's an incredibly strong album in its own genre, but it's not for everyone.
>>
obvious bait
>>
>>64055769
WEW LAD
>>
>>64056897
>incredibly strong album in its own genre
More like the definitive album. The only real dissenting opinion is that Souvlaki is better.
>>
>>64055470
you obviously haven't listened to much music if your first point of comparison is mgmt
>>
>>64057041
Not even a debate

>Souvlaki
>good in any decade
>>
>>64057106
It's not my cup of tea, but enough people say that it's better than Loveless that I'll give the argument some merit.
>>
It's very overrated, especially by Americans for some reason.
>>
>>64055523
This album is something really great and MGMT have never been anything special. I don't see the connection sonically either.
>>
>>64055470
If anything it just sounds like another shitty smashing pumpkins album
>>
Their album "mbv" is a good onramp to the band.

Loveless is a little more daring.
>>
File: whew.png (5 KB, 266x45) Image search: [Google]
whew.png
5 KB, 266x45
>>64058217
no it doesn't
>>
>>64057239
There is none. The best thing mgmt ever did was siberian breaks and even that is worlds different.
>>
This is the only shoegaze album I like.
>>
>>64058391
What else have you listened to?
>>
>>64058391
Really? You should try Deerhunter if you haven't already
>>
>>64055470
Ive been saying this album really isnt that incredible for so long, im willing to listen if anyone will explain whats so good about it but no one will. Im starting to think this is an emperors new clothes deal.
>>
>>64059878
It has this certain kind of sound which hadn't been done quite as well before it.

Sonic assault of the distortion, "wall of sound"-style guitars mixed with tremolo effects to create the "floaty", ethereal, disorienting sound. Dissonant, harsh sounds mixed together with "heavenly" melodies and the fragile, soft vocals. Plus the attention to detail, which is pretty crazy, near the level of Siamese Dream.

That said, if it's not your thing—it's fine. PersonaIy, this type of sound has always clicked with me. MBV hit exactly the right spot with its sound.
>>
>>64059878
Speaking personally I love the guitar sounds - all the weird eerie warbling tremolo stuff and fuzz presents a sound that pleases my ears

The song structures are simple and the melodies are catchy and hooky enough that they get stuck in my head, in a good way

Ultimately I like the headspace the album puts me in, just a good spot to be
>>
>>64055470
I actually just got into this album cause I heard it was a meme album. Really enjoyed it. Turned me on to shoegaze.
>>
>>64057041
>Souvlaki is better
no
Maybe Treasure or Nowhere
>>
you're opinion is shit
>>
>>64055470
>this is literally MGMT with distorted guitars and it sounds awful.
Did you download the wrong fucking album or something? It sounds nothing like MGMT
>>
File: 3jNfmCm.png (78 KB, 819x533) Image search: [Google]
3jNfmCm.png
78 KB, 819x533
>>64055470

>literally
>>
>>64055470
I think you got trolled and downloaded the wrong link m8.

Explain coherently what possible similarities there are between this album and MGMT.
>>
let me help you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spCp0YK20xQ
>>
>>64061525
both of the band names start with M
>>
>>64055470

alcest's shelter sounds like it badly wants to be this desu
>>
Lmao how can people not like this album. Best rock album ever made
>>
>>64061678

I keep forgetting that album exists. Did it turn out to be any good?
>>
HAHHASHHAHAHA WHAT THE FUCK

what happened to this board??
>>
>>64063415
no
>>
>>64055470
>mgmt
how the actual fuck do you get that? out of curiosity.
>>
Anyone have a link to m b v on 320 mp3?
>>
>>64059878
The juxtaposition of harshness and softness. The dreamlike atmosphere it creates. The feeling that the album represents a far off, distant memory (hence the intelligible lyrics) that's also a bit fuzzy (hence all of the distortion).

It makes me feel safe and secure.
>>
>>64061525
>MGMT with distorted guitars

I think someone baited him with Currents.
>>
>>64058514
Is Deerhunter shoegaze? Apparently I listen to shoegaze. Neat.
>>
>>64064509
message me on last.fm, last.fm/user/blackbirdshaman and i'll get you hooked up
>>
>>64064509
sent ;)
>>
>>64058391
same here, its just cus it doesnt sound like any other album in the genre, or any other genre for that matter. Like if people called loveless metal it'd be the only metal album i liked
>>
>>64063415
its their worst imo but yeah it's worth a listen
>>
>>64057106
not enough fuzz for my taste - a good album none the less, but i think its just pop tbqh
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.