[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best piece of music composed by someone over 40?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Bloom.jpg (130 KB, 700x374) Image search: [Google]
Bloom.jpg
130 KB, 700x374
What is the best piece of music composed by someone over 40? Any genre.

Also, how much does age affects the general quality of music? There seems to be a creative peak from 23 to 33. There are several exceptions, of course. Discuss.
>>
>>64051857
Creative peak is dependent on the age you started making music. The artists who made great albums later in life will often have started late (see: Michael Gira)
>>
one of the best bowie albums blackstar was made when he was 70 i think
>>
>>64051857
Johnny Cash wrote some pretty damn good albums well into his sixties.

Gorguts keeps pumping out groundbreaking albums and tLuc Lemay has to be over fifty.

The best? Probably some white haired old classical composer.
>>
>>64051881
Yes, it's an amazing album. Yet the vast majority of his great albums were written in his 20s. The overall quality started to drop after Let's Dance, when he was 36.
>>
Beethoven's 9th
>>
>>64051925
I hear a lot about classical music in this kinds of threads; but I've been researcher and most of the regularily discussed masterpieces were composed during the composer's late twenties or early to mid-thirties.

A few examples:

Bach - Cello Suite (32)
Schubert - Symphony No. 9 (31)
Beethoven - Symphony No. 5 (He wrote it from 34 to 38)
Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring (31)
Debussy - Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune (32)
Schubert - Symphony No. 9 (31)
Beethoven - Symphony No. 5 (He wrote it from 34 to 38)

There are some great works by these and other classical musicians made later but most of their masterpieces were made during their 30s.
>>
>>64051935
I agree. This is probably the best answer, what would be in second place?
>>
>>64052064
I duplicated some example while trying to reaorder them in chronological order. My mistake.
>>
david bowie
>>
>>64051881
LOL
>>
Seems to be some correlation between jazz and composers with strong later periods

>Miles Davis
His Electric Period began when he was about 43 and continued until he was approaching 50
>Thelonious Monk
I'd argue that the 1960s was Monk's strongest decade overall, and he turned 40 in 1957
>Art Blakey
Again, he had a strong period in the 60s by the time he was already over 40 years old
>Coleman Hawkins
By the time he was already over 50
>Sun Ra
Was in his sixties by the time he made Lanquidity and Sleeping Beauty
>Duke Ellington
Was still writing great compositions and doing collaborations well into his sixties and even into his early seventies
>Scott Walker
Not jazz, but it's still definitely worth noting how he made such a strong comeback while over the age of 50
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.