[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /mu/, I made this thread last night and got some good replies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (187 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
187 KB, 1200x1200
Hey /mu/, I made this thread last night and got some good replies but I fell asleep. I'm looking for a cheap mini synth. I'm not looking to make full on songs, I just want to play little melodies in a band setting and jam with my friends.

I'm not looking to get a cheap midi keyboard and pirate a bunch of programs, I really want an analog synth that can make those classic synth sounds as well as piano-esque sounds.

People suggested the Volca FM instead of the Volca Keys, but I think I'm leaning toward the Keys. My budget is about $180 so I don't have much flexibility. Can anyone shed some light on this?
>>
I don't know how much it would work, as I know really nothing about music, but I found out about something called a launchpad that can do synthy stuff, play samples, etc.

I too would like to know how to get started with making some music stuff
>>
>>64050595
I think you can get an akai mini for around that

it even has a vocoder

its pretty dope
>>
>>64050804
>akai mini
miniak is what I meant to say

http://www.akaipro.com/product/miniak
>>
>>64050791
Ah dude I used to want a launchpad so bad when I was younger, they're so fuckin cool. But they only work with software and can't actual make sounds on their own, that's what an analog synth does.

>>64050791
Yeah the Akai mini is pretty cool but it's not an analog synth, it only works with software
>>
Increase your budget by $70 and get a used Microkorg.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/korg-microkorg-synthesizer-vocoder-/272209766314?hash=item3f60f767aa:g:F40AAOSwiylXDTCX

It will be worth it for real keys compared to that thing in the OP that looks miserable to play
>>
>>64050827
Shit that's actually pretty damn nice. I can't seem to find them anywhere though, and the only one on Amazon is $500+
>>
>>64050883
theyre like closer to 200 on ebay
>>
>>64050595
>I really want an analog synth
>piano-esque sounds

How piano do you want it? Analog subtractive can't do piano well at all.

>>64050871
>real keys
inb4 people bitching about minikeys
>>
>>64050804
>>64050827
>>64050883
I have one of these; if you want some alright preset-y sounds and don't mind menu diving... I guess you could get it. It's basically AKAI's version of a MicroKorg. To me it's a very uninteresting synth.

>>64050595
>I really want an analog synth that can make those classic synth sounds
Well, if you save up about $500 you can get a proper analog synth and not a volca or a cheap digital... i'd recommend a korg Minilogue, easily the best bang for your buck what with the polyphony and patch bank.
>>
>>64050595
>>64050986
Also Analog is basically a meme. Yes, digital can't replicate analog perfectly. But analog is made out to be, the be all, end all of synths and that's just stupid. It's so limited in terms of what you can do with it compared to wavetable/FM/additive (let's face it, analog just means analog subtractive to most people)

I suspect it's only popular because it's so easy to understand and easy to get good sounds.
>>
why does it have to be analogue? whats bad about a midi keyboard and a laptop?
>>
>>64050986
I know piano-esque sounds stupid, I don't want it to just be a piano otherwise I'd get a keyboard. I just want to sort of replicate the sounds Sufjan made on Ag of adz or Ariel Pink's before today
>>
>>64051191
not OP but nothing compares to just plug the thing and start making music to turning on the laptop +conecting the controller and audio interface + launching your DAW and VSTs + maping the controller + hoping the thing doesnt crash

you can't beat hardware
>>
>>64052686
Yeah that's kind of the reason. I don't want to have to go through my laptop, it's just a personal preference. Plus I don't want to have to learn a shitload of interfaces and deal with my shitty laptop either.
>>
>>64050595
the roland ju-06 would be something to check out
>>
>>64053217
Shit, it looks amazing. About $100 above my price range though :/
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.