[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any other IDM or ambient techno or whatever you want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Cover.jpg (115 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
115 KB, 600x600
Is there any other IDM or ambient techno or whatever you want to call it that's as good at creating a distinct atmosphere as the big names? Stuff like SAW 85-92, Tri Repeatae and MHTRTC/ Geogaddi all have very unique atmospheres that you can get lost in... I want to dive deeper, but I find myself underwhelmed by generic bleeping a lot of the time. pls help
>>
Either Orblivion or Orbus Terrarum by The Orb
>>
Bump for more
>>
Some Biosphere albums have that athmosphere, but then again I guess it's one of the "big names". Same could be said of Lifeforms of FSOL, which is one of my favourite albums of all time.

Deepchord - Liumin has a pretty nice soundscape and athmosphere. It's dub techno and mainly 4/4 but if you can live with that, I suppose you might like it.
>>
The Field is a master in that. He has a very nostalgic, organic sound.

Jon Talabot is pretty good too.

Nicholas Jaar is not really ambient but has a pretty unique sound.

Gas and Voices From The Lake are essential ambient techno.

Carbon Based Lifeforms and this >>64031117 too
>>
Check out Global Communications 74:16 album, also what the other guy said about Biosphere. Biosphere's Substrata album is otherworldly, really good.
>>
>>64031068

Start a People
Dandelion Gum
Fucked Up Friends
Maniac Meat
>>
>>64033126
somebody's been posting a lot of Tobacco today
>>
File: cover.jpg (431 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
431 KB, 800x800
>>64031068
Clark is very unique sounding and highly underrated due to him coming after the heyday of IDM. Check out pic related, it's fantastic.
>>
OP here. Thanks for the recs guys. I forgot to mention Gas and Global Communication, love em both. I'll get stuck in with the rest
>>
>>64033536
While they aren't exactly 'IDM,' if you're looking for unique tones and atmospheres I'd recommend Oneohtrix Point Never (particularly Rifts/his pre-Replica albums for you) and Tim Hecker
>>
Emptyset - s/t
any of Luomo's work
Thomas Brinkmann - What You Hear (Is What You Hear)
>>
the only atmosphere AFX creates is of preschool music class
>>
File: Bola - Fyuti.jpg (121 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
Bola - Fyuti.jpg
121 KB, 700x700
Check out Bola if you haven't already. Very distinct alien atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idcfC8eDF-s
>>
>>64033172
this album is great. Wasn't a fan of his turning dragon album.. haven't heard any others. Any recs?
>>
Ok Ok. I just listened to this last week and it's exactly what you are thinking of .

Daze - Brood Ma
Released last month, pretty good album with a very cohesive sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP-jNS19ZsE
>>
>>64032958
>Nicholas Jaar
bog standard pop-electronic imo

>>64032967
>global co
absolute-fucking-ly essential stuff. they released some incredible ambient and techno and some good house as well under a variety of alias. check em all

>>64033691
>emptyset
amazing but darker than what op is after I think. I'd recommend it tho

to op : check objekt if you havent already. not really IDM but really fucking good. imo he's easily comparable to afx in terms of individuality and innovation.
>>
>>64032967

N-Plants is also a really good Bopshere album.
>>
>>64034042
While I personally think it's one of his worst, his album Totems Flare was on a bunch of AOTY lists; texturally it's much closer to Turning Dragon than Body Riddle though. My personal favorite after Body Riddle and maybe Turning Dragon is Iradelphic, it's basically a lighter Body Riddle with acoustic guitar and more influence from trip hop and ambient. Also check out his debut Clarence Park (make sure to get the special edition if you do, it has an accompanying EP and some unreleased tracks with it,) it's much closer to traditional Autechre influenced IDM as it was made before he really established his style.
Also check out the accompanying EPs for albums, the especially the Ted EP and Fantasm Planes which have some god-tier outtakes from their accompanying albums (Body Riddle and Iradelphic respectively.) If you end up liking Clarence Park it's essential to listen to his early EPs too, he put out a few before he even released it.
>>
>>64034159
>Bopshere
kek
>>
>>64033728
Music b0$$ the king o music ;ยด)
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.