[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Shit Bands with Equally Shit Fanbases
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 14
Pic related
>>
File: Oasis.jpg (81 KB, 552x368) Image search: [Google]
Oasis.jpg
81 KB, 552x368
>>
>>64023882
>>64023873
Is it me or are the worst bands with the worst fanbases always the ones that are mostly popular with 11 year olds.
>>
Found a comical old guy rant on a music forum somewhere that went (paraphrasing slightly):

"I bought their S/T and Hotter Than Hell back in 74 and quickly returned them. Total disappointment compared to the rock of 5 years earlier. They were a comic book band for kids who wanted something heavier than the Osmonds but Zeppelin, Mountain, and the Eagles were too advanced for them."
>>
Attila and emmure
>>
Ace and Peter's New York street punk attitude is what made Kiss. Without them, the band was nothing. Gene and Paul were just two fugly nerds from middle class upbringings who started a band so they could get laid.
>>
>>64023747
>>
>>64023930
sounds like something Christgau would write
>>
>>64023988
Except Christgau didn't like Mountain or the Eagles, but...meh.

Point still stands - Kiss were the 70s equivalent of Drowning Pool or some other band popular with middle schoolers who wanted to act tough.
>>
>>64023895
MOMS
>>
Bon Jovi
>>
>>64023980
I agree. Kiss still had some decent songs from the 80s onward, but they never had the same chemistry as those classic 70s records and they also were more of a brand name and less of a rock band.
>>
Also they have two faggots wearing Ace and Peter's makeup.
>>
>>64024417
Yeah but their shows are more 80s-style now especially in the fact that Gene doesn't do anything with his bass but play the root note. He hasn't actually "played" bass since the 70s.
>>
Sure, you wouldn't listen to Kiss for their outstanding playing or songwriting but damn, they could put on a show like no one else.
>>
>>64024469
And now Paul's voice is completely destroyed.
>>
They've actually talked about possibly retiring in a few years and hiring new young replacements to continue Kiss forever.

Then again...do any young guys really want to play their kind of music? Doubtful.
>>
File: 100%marketing0%art.jpg (58 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
100%marketing0%art.jpg
58 KB, 600x600
>>64023873
>>
>>64024582
IDK, Queen II was a pretty solid album
>>
>>64024582
Pleb
>>
St Vincent, but only mildly because I know it's not to an extreme
>>
"Queen were the greatest. When everyone else was out and doing nothing of importance, Queen were making music."

-- Ozzy Osbourne
>>
AC/DC
>>
Supposedly Kiss wanted to originally copy the British glam rock look, but as rather burly, hairy guys, they couldn't pull it off and instead went for a leather and studs look.
>>
File: twenty one pilots.jpg (148 KB, 1401x788) Image search: [Google]
twenty one pilots.jpg
148 KB, 1401x788
>>
Blood On The Dance Floor is the worst offender.
>>
>>64024714
Brokencyde as well desu.
>>
Music From The Elder was if nothing else interesting. Releasing a prog record in 1981 was pretty out there.
>>
kiss > your favourite band
>>
>>64024778
No way in hell is Kiss better than The Beach Boys
>>
>>64024725
Any faggoty scene band, honestly. I mean, it attracts pre-teens with raging hormones, which makes them more obnoxious.
>>
File: the 1975.jpg (39 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
the 1975.jpg
39 KB, 620x372
>>
>>64024780
>boyband that had a couple of bubblegum pop hits about girls and surfing
>improvement on Kiss
Uh...
>>
>>64024725
And BVB, too.
>>
>>64024692
The fag with the eye-shadow looks like every dodgy twentysomething paedophile using Hot Topic fashion for the sake of hooking up with underage girls ever.
Aren't 21 Pilots a Christian band as well? It really wouldn't surprise me if some day news got out of his kiddy-fiddling antics.
>>
>>64024803
What about Pet Sounds and their late 60s and early 70s output?
>>
They should have just quit after the reunion tour but Gene demands more and more Jewgold.
>>
Based upon personal experience:
Hopsin
Skillet
Bring Me the Horizon
Attila
Taylor Swift
The Arctic Monkeys
Eminem
Most nu metal bands (worst offenders being Five Finger Death Punch and Slipknot)
>>
>>64024806
so many emo/ pop-punk bands are it wouldn't be surpassing lmao, all their shitty twelve year old fans would try and defend them as well
>>
>>64023895
Yeah I'm pretty sure there isnt a single 11 year old in the world who's into KISS right now.
>>
>>64023873
Did music enthusiasts hate them back in their hey day? I can't believe they were ever popular.
>>
File: my-chemical-romance-1.jpg (112 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
my-chemical-romance-1.jpg
112 KB, 1024x768
easily
>>
>>64024849
Good old Normie Culture
>>
>>64024849
>Did music enthusiasts hate them back in their hey day?

You better believe they did.
>>
>>64024582
Great band. Amazing musicians. Godawful teenage fans who act like Queen and Freddie were the second coming of god. Also talk about how they wish they were born back in the 60s, 70s and 80s etc.
>>
>>64024854
Another case of a pretty talented band being overshadowed by their godawful fan base. I have no shame in saying that I enjoy their music as an adult. I just choose not to associate with their angsty fan base.
>>64024859
What do you mean?
>>64024861
I honestly find it hard to believe they made it as big as they did. Surely the average joe thought their schtick was tacky right?
>>
>>64024885
Normal people probably thought they were good
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EO4GDlZZAg

why is this so bad?
>>
>>64024849
>Did music enthusiasts hate them back in their hey day?

Yeah, Kiss were loathed beyond belief by critics and "intelligent" listeners. Still sold a shitload of records, merch and concert tickets though.
Then again, Queen were hated just as much and made equally insufferable music and yet you're rarely going to see anyone shitting on them with as much glee with which people shit on Kiss.
>>
>>64024582
Other than the wrong generation kids I see no problem
>>
>>64024885
Then again Motley Crue were the biggest band in America for almost a decade and no serious music fans were into them.
>>
File: Xgau.png (133 KB, 1542x721) Image search: [Google]
Xgau.png
133 KB, 1542x721
>>
>>64024919
I knew a girl back in high school who loved them and was practically in love with Nicki Sixx. She'd read books about him and everything. I didn't see the hype. She was my girlfriend for a very short period of time.
>>64024912
You don't like Queen? I don't think they were as great as people make out but definitely a league above KISS.
>>
File: Xgau Queen.png (95 KB, 1555x767) Image search: [Google]
Xgau Queen.png
95 KB, 1555x767
>>
Kiss were important in that they influenced a lot of the 80s rock scene, also stage shows. All of the costumecore bands like Gwar, Necrogoblicon, and Slipknot are their descendants.

Having said that, they hung on decades past their time.
>>
>>64024957
They influenced shock make up and costumes for bands sure, but musically they didn't really influence much. I don't know anyone that sounds so much like KISS and I really don't wish to either.
>>
>>64024828
dont forget panic at the disco
neck deep
sleeping with sirens
state champs
and avenged sevenfold
>>
>>64024828
I still listen to Bring Me The Horizon and Eminem. Fight me.
>>
>>64024965
>he doesn't know that Ace Frehley was Dimebag Darrell's hero

If you want to get into it from a purely musical standpoint, most of those hair metal shoutalong anthems like Cum On Feel The Noize evolved from Kiss's more commercial numbers like Rock And Roll All Night. Though when it comes to the instrumental side of things, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, and Van Halen definitely had a bigger impact.
>>
>>64025000
Just because another famous musician liked one of the members of kiss doesn't mean it makes them anymore respectable.

Kendrick loves Lil Wayne but I still personally think he's pretty average when you're talking about classic rappers and hip hop artists.
>>
>>64025000
>he doesn't know that Ace Frehley was Dimebag Darrell's hero

There's your explanation. Yeah, fuck Gene and Paul.

>>64023980
>>
>>64025000
Kind of too band about Aerosmith because unlike Kiss they were a critics' favorite in the 70s and a well-respected band but most people hate them now due to their later career as a Top 40 hit machine with professional songwriters helping them out.
>>
>>64025056
I dislike Aerosmith's lead singer because he's a pathetic sell out. I like some of their music but the cunt decided to jump on American Idol as a judge. That's just fucking sad imo.
>>
>>64025063
Oh well, all the same Sweet Emotion and Dream On are far above anything Kiss ever did.
>>
File: 1372707391_odd-future_052813.jpg (405 KB, 930x620) Image search: [Google]
1372707391_odd-future_052813.jpg
405 KB, 930x620
not technically a band but their music was sub-par at best and their fan base is one of the worst in history.
>>
>>64025076
Agreed. Aerosmith really did make some great rock music back in the day.
>>64025079
I feel like Tyler could make a good album if he decided to grow up a bit as a person. Although I like him because he doesn't take himself seriously. Double edged sword.
>>
The first two Kiss albums are the best; cheesy, but fun and ultra-catchy songs.
>>
Any scene kid metalcore trash
>>
>>64024417
And two other faggots wearing Paul and Gene's makeup
>>
>>64025133
Generalising is pretty dumb. There are some good metalcore bands out there if you look. I'll agree it's an easy target market for angsty teenage kids with disposable money but there are some genuine bands out there.
>>
>>64025079
Why do they look like a special-ed group?
>>
>>64025105
>I feel like Tyler could make a good album if he decided to grow up a bit as a person. Although I like him because he doesn't take himself seriously. Double edged sword.

"Heroin. Shooting coke. Eating opium and it was just...I love that album - Night in the Ruts. It's like a fuckin' solar eclipse."
>>
>>64025124
>cheesy
>ultra-catchy
Pretty much what they were going for. Lowest common denominator. I still think they're god fucking awful and I'd listen to someone the likes of Justin Bieber over KISS.
>>
>>64025145
*cymbal shot*
>>
>>64025155
What are you implying?
>>
>>64025162
See, this is the guy who in the 70s would be sitting in a beanbag with a bong next to him listening to Yes play a 10 minute bass solo.
>>
>>64025162
You think that would piss off a le wrong generationer?
>>
More interesting:

Good bands with unexplainable shitty fanbase.
>>
>>64025178
Nothing, that was just from a Steven Tyler interview in the 90s to kind of show how you said that he has a good sense of humor and doesn't take himself too seriously.
>>
>>64025147
I said scene kid metalcore bands.
Converge, Killswitch and Misery Signals are some of my favorite bands
>>
>>64025186
Probably. I spoke to a guy recently who was only about 22 (I'm 21) who told me he hated all modern hip hop and that only artists like NWA and Wu-Tang are good. Shat all over Kanye and said it was all gangster/ho/sex/violence shit. Funny as fuck to listen to because he'd obviously heard no modern hip hop in his life. I realise I went a little off topic there. Sorry.
>>
>>64025209
What classifies a kid metalcore band? I like pretty much all of Bring Me The Horizon's music bar their most recent album. While they have a shocking fan base I do enjoy their music. I'll admit their first two albums are more enjoyable just for the energy and the heavy breakdowns, but I think their two albums after Suicide Season were pretty great lyrically and instrumentally, even if not the most creative or innovative music.
>>
>>64024945

Queen have always had patchy albums because they couldn't stop the bass player inserting his pub rock songs on the glorious electric edifice of Freddie and Bryan's work. Other songs like "Millionaire's Waltz" on Day at the Races were a bit shit too desu.
>>
>>64025226
>Queen have always had patchy albums because they couldn't stop the bass player inserting his pub rock songs

Still had a giant hit with Another One Bites The Dust though.
>>
>>64025189
Ministry
>>
>>64025189

It's the way they're marketed mostly, I think. They're like every mall-core kid's experimental album, along with Dark Side of the Moon. They bring it into their cultural territory to appear profound - I don't think I met a single person who even cared about the philosophical content of Lateralus, which is surely missing the point of the emotional quality of a lot of the song writing.
>>
>>64025258
It's a shame their fan base is so garbage. Their definitely talented.
>>
Queen were Led Zeppelin levels of big in Europe during the 70s-80s but most Americans only know them for a few overplayed singles.
>>
Yeah the critics and serious music fans didn't like Kiss in the 70s though I guess Ace was the most respected member. Also of all the guitarists they've had since then, none of them can play his stuff properly. They just can't get the groove and tone right.
>>
>>64024604
Well, Ozzy sure wasn't, his bandmates were
>>
>yfw Gene and Paul cut off Eric Carr's health insurance and left him to die

Ouch.
>>
>>64025329
I assumed he's talking about the late 70s when Sabbath were a bunch of useless drug addicts and Zeppelin/The Who/Rolling Stones were past it.
>>
>>64025189
After listening to Isis they just sound pretentious and edgy, which is exactly how i feel about the fanbase
>>
>>64025362

that's exactly how they sound to me too, but I think it's because their shitty fanbase sadly influenced my judgement, that's why I called them "good".
>>
>>64024689
Kind of like those trannies who are too poor to go on hormones or get surgery
>>
Gene will never get over how the R&R HOF hates Kiss. Whaddya want? The HOF is controlled by Xgau clones and all of those guys worship NWA and despise Kiss.
>>
"We didn't put any sex-themed songs on Psycho Circus because I thought we were getting too old for that stuff and it would sound silly."

But it's ok to play your songs from 1975 about slutty jailbait at every concert, Gene?
>>
>>64025524

no intention to defend them, as they're shitty, but bands this big sadly just need to deliver certain songs live, because most of the people in the audience only know the biggest "hits" anyways. I'm sure a lot of famous artists are sick of their own songs they "have" to play at every show.
>>
>>64025524
Psycho Circus was...eh. Peter Criss only plays on one song (same as Dynasty back 18 years earlier) and Paul pretty much carried the album while Gene was busy channeling his inner Music From The Elder.
>>
I dont know a single decent person who likes Lebanon Hanover
>>
The reunion tour in 97 was huge. Tons of old fans from the 70s and kids who'd never seen them with the makeup or seen Ace and Peter. The next tour (the one to promote PC) was a dud with less than half the concert attendance. I guess the 97 tour pretty much satisfied all pent-up desire to see the original 70s Kiss lineup complete with makeup and after that, nobody gaf.
>>
Black Diamond is a good song. Better than anything Queen ever wrote, that's for fucking sure.
>>
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 881x1146) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 881x1146
>>64025079
every single /mu/ core rapper that only white kids listen to in one picture, I'm impressed
>>
I saw a video from the 70s of them being interviewed and it's pretty much as you'd expect. Paul talking in metaphors, Gene being a huge Jew and trying to promote their albums/concerts, and Ace and Peter were just stoned af.
>>
>>64025189
Guns and roses imo
literaly the worst "I hate my generation" fanbase of any band
>>
>>64024378
Gene and Paul have always made it clear that they are Kiss and the rest of the band are just hired help with no say in any business or creative decisions.
>>
>>64025670
Even during the reunion tour, they made it clear that Ace and Peter were hired help only brought back for that particular tour and didn't get any say in anything.
>>
>>64024800
God I hate this band
>>
Goin' Blind has to be the weirdest song ever.

>doomed love affair between an elderly man and a young girl

They rarely played this in the 70s but as they've gotten older it's become a regular part of their setlists.
>>
Man, is Paul's voice ever crispy-fried now. After the 70s he started trying his best Robert Plant impersonation which can't have been good for him also the sheer amount of shows they've done and his stage banter (yelling at the top of his lungs between sets).

Gene for comparison tried to make things easier on himself after the 70s, namely in dropping the growly voice (he still did it on the records, but not live).
>>
>>64024582
Amazing band. Freddie is a little overrated as a live performer. Brian May is an underrated guitarist. Shit fan base for sure though.
>>
>>64024912
These are the same people who think Born To Run is one of the GOAT songs of all time.

What the hell? That song sucks. Shit, I'd rather listen to Strutter any day.
>>
>>64026547
Kiss may not be great but Springsteen is the most overrated artist of all time.
>>
Anyone know why Bon Jovi is even popular?
>>
>>64026638
They had catchy radio-friendly jams with giant hooks and they were cute and got an entire generation of 12 year old girls wetting themselves.
>>
>>64026680
So basically for being shit?
>>
>>64026547
>>64026610
Bruce has one of the worst singing voices I've ever heard.
>>
>>64024582
Queen was a great band but their fans are mostly shit
>>
>>64026686
>dude that listens to some album that has a cover showing a woman with a sliced potato for a face
>accusing others of poor music taste
>>
Better question, how'd Bruce Springsteen (his initials are so appropriate, no?) get big.
>>
File: jeffmangum1.jpg (494 KB, 600x496) Image search: [Google]
jeffmangum1.jpg
494 KB, 600x496
>>64026710
>Bon Jovi fan butt mad
>>
>>64026730
by making music for working class slobs living in middle america.
>>
>>64026758
Actually Bon Jovi sucks, I'm just saying listening to albums because Pitchfork likes them does not make you patrician.
>>
Tame Impala
>>
>>64026730
He played at my dad's college in 76 and after that, his dumb roommate kept playing BTR over and over and over and over until my dad couldn't stand it.
>>
File: TAKYON TAKYON.jpg (46 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
TAKYON TAKYON.jpg
46 KB, 500x500
death grips. pic related.
>>
>>64026730
By writing good songs
>>
>>64025020
I don't doubt it..Wayne is arguably one of the most influential rappers in the game, let me guess you don't like his voice YAWN
>>
>>64024828
This.
>>
>>64025020
Wayne isn't average, my mane. But it's okay, I understand why plebs feel the need to hate on the man.
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.