[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does he hate prog rock so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: christgau.jpg (18 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
christgau.jpg
18 KB, 400x266
Why does he hate prog rock so much?
>>
because he's smart
>>
It's 2deep4him

He has an eternal boner for punk
>>
>>63961551
I'm guessing it's because he's a firm believer in the "music as raw young counterculture" thing
>>
>>63961583
Prog rock sucks, punk is good.
>>
>>63961551
because he's not a pretentious, intellectual faggot.
>>
Christgau is so ironic that he's a broken human being. David Foster Wallace wrote terrible books about losers like Christgau. I pity anybody who looks up to this man.
>>
because you can see by his glasses and the enlightened expression on his face that he is too progressive for such 'bombast', which is deeply problematic and Not A Good Look!
>>
Because he's American.

There has never been one good American prog-rock band. Only European and Canadian.
>>
>>63961551
this guy thinks that Soulja Boy's debut is better than anything that Yes, KC, or Jethro Tull ever did

the most contrarian "professional" critic alive

>inb4 unfunny posts saying he's correct
>>
He's a rock fan and prog isn't rock. Prog is just wannabe jazz/classical/whatever

prog rock is akward and tasteless shit.
Christgau is right about prog.
>>
Because prog is shit
>muh complex progression
>>
>>63961825
cough*Kansas*cough
>>
>>63961570
>>63961704
>>63961752
>>63961944
>>63961969
When did /mu/ start hating prog?
>>
>>63961551
he has low testosterone

rock only appeals to men with high amounts of testosterone
>>
>>63962044
it's more to do with the fact that prog fans are among the easiest to get riled up, especially the kind that take themselves too seriously, I think.
>>
>>63962077
Also girls like this
>>
>>63962044
It's memeing. King Crimson and Can are some of the most well liked musicians here.
>>
>>63962158
Because he has good taste. Prog is the worst and most self-indulgent genre of music. It's all overblown baroque melodies and dated synths arranged without a thought given to subtlety. Prog artists just don't understand subtlety or minimalism, or that adding another layer to the must isn't the same thing as making it better.
The name "progressive rock" is emblematic of the utter pretentiousness that permeates the genre and all its artists. The idea that all music in a genre is progressive in some way is completely ridiculous, especially when you consider just how much prog is people imitating genesis - you progress by creating new genres, not by making prog.
And have you ever talked to a prog fan? They're the worst, most insufferable fanboys of any music genre, they're completely convinced they listen to the best, most complex, most intricate music that exists on the planet, and all other music is regressive 4 chord rock. They have no knowledge of the jazz, classical and electronic the original prog bands were influenced by, they think that they invented it all. They're self-congratulating little autists who spend all their time complimenting themselves on their record collections and their 'good' music taste.
Not to mention that not a single mainstream prog band had a vocalist who could actually sing, or even write interesting lyrics. I do like some krautrock and rock in opposition, but I really do think there is not a worse trio of bands on the entire planet than Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Yes and Genesis. Absolutely awful music.
>>
File: listens to prog once.jpg (44 KB, 811x167) Image search: [Google]
listens to prog once.jpg
44 KB, 811x167
Because this progfag guy give 0.5 to his favorite punk record
>>
>>63962158
Yes are great though.
>>
>>63962212
>Because he has good taste
pic
>not a worse trio of bands on the entire planet than Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Yes and Genesis
ELP and Genesis both kinda suck but Yes made CttE which is among the best rock albums of all time, and everything from The Yes Album to Going For The One ranges from solid to phenomenal
>>
>>63962325
Well I've listened to CttE, I actually kind of liked it until the singing started. It has some interesting compositions, but the vocals are just awful.
>>
>>63962044
Like 6 years ago
>>
>>63962044
Just newfag redditors.
>>
I legit think he's just messing around with progfags, they get mad easily.
>>
https://strawpoll.me/7339222
>>
>>63961969
so true
>>
File: 1421729566345.jpg (299 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1421729566345.jpg
299 KB, 2000x1000
>>63962325
>people actually listen to this meme man's opinions
>>
>>63961551
who doesn't?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.