[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Backlog help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: 1454611465677.jpg (55 KB, 480x456) Image search: [Google]
1454611465677.jpg
55 KB, 480x456
I have between 700 and 800 albums in my backlog how do I tackle listening to it all?
>>
>>63945527
one at a time

or two at a time

three maximum
>>
>>63945533
we got a wise guy
>>
skip track my friend. only listen to the ones that grab you within 30 seconds
>>
acclaim + length
>>
>>63945543
i'm a goodfella
>>
3 albums per day
>>
>>63945533
>three maximum
spotted the pleb
>>
One a day? Two a day? Whatever you're comfortable with, or just listen to something new whenever you want to. You don't need to be in a rush to hurry and finish your entire backlog.
>>
There's no point in listening to that many albums so fast. You're just gonna listen to one album and then trash it and learn nothing from it.
>>
>>63945590
>four at once

now you're just an ear slut
>>
>>63945553
this.

alternatively you can try this:

1. go to RYM. i'm assuming you have a bunch of discographies. sort the artists by their best albums.
2. listen to those albums first.
3. give the song a chance to make its point. if you don't like it, on to the next one.
4. if you agree with the RYM rating, move on to the next album in that artist's discog. keep going until you find an album you really don't like.
5. stop there. next artist.
>>
>>63945553
I feel like I would miss out on alot of worthwhile material doing that

>>63945567
this would take even longer to order them by this

>>63945578
might try this

>>63945606
>>63945612
I'm aware, I don't plan on rushing the process
>>
>>63945527

In on subtle brag post.
>>
>>63945645
Ok well then you tackle your backlog by going at your own pace and listening to whatever you want whenever you want.
>>
enjoy them.
savor them.
like a good book.
you don't have to listen to them all at once.
i do 4/day.
1 new album (2010-16)
1 old album that's new to me.
1 re-listen. something recent that i didn't get on the first listen maybe because i wasn't in the right mood or whatever.
and last, something music-related that isn't an album. a compilation or a podcast or a live soundboard bootleg or some interviews from an artist/band i'm new to to get a better sense of them and what they're all about.
it isn't a competition.
>>
>>63945527
That pic is cracking me up, what episode is that from
>>
>>63945739
and don't be afraid to kill your darlings.

i say if you feel nothing when you listen to a song, it's not doing it's job for you, so move on.
>>
>>63945671
I feel I would need to try to commit to 2 or 3 albums a day though. I think my problem is that whenever I'm listening to music I haven't heard before it's music that isn't in my backlog. so maybe I should just focus on whats in my backlog until it is smaller.
>>
>>63945770
the suds episode noob
>>
Doesn't matter, just go at a small pace, going from a mix of what you like and acclaim
10 albums every 2-3 weeks, and in a year or 2, you'll listen to that backlog. Just enjoy it and make sure you listen to it enough to properly decide if you don't like an album
>>
>>63945800
or you know just relegate it to a dusty old external hd or whatever. memory is cheap these days. but maybe that's just the hoarder in me .
>>
>>63945807
that won't work. trust me, willpower is a scarce resource. seriously, just listening to whatever you want is a better choice than this. the thing that music does for you is make you feel good. or bad. either way, you need art that speaks to you. maybe you need to wait until the mood strikes you, but for god's sake don't do this "I MUST DEDICATE MYSELF AND IF I FAIL THEN I AM WEAK" routine.
>>
I think you have a deeper problem, OP.

Why do you feel the need to listen to so much music? 7-800 albums is an absurd amount. I've been listening to music """"seriously"""" for six years and i doubt I've gotten to even 500. You won't get through all of that. Don't treat music like pokemon cards. Why do you feel the need to listen to so much? Find the bands you like, then find who influenced them, then find who they influenced. You're making listening to music homework when it should be an enjoyable experience.

You're looking at listening to 800 albums as a chore when you should be looking at it as an adventure.

Protip: You aren't even going to listen to 1/3 of those before you get sidetracked onto some other pursuit
>>
>>63945888
my trips confirm truth btw
>>
>>63945841
ahh this is the second spongebob episode i've been reminded of today
>>
>>63945888
I'm a musician and music teacher so I love learning and absorbing as much music as I can.
I am looking at this as an adventure I just don't know how to start
>>
File: Trout_Mask_Replica[1].png (159 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Trout_Mask_Replica[1].png
159 KB, 300x300
>>63945974
K. I'm the guy you replied to. In that case you should start with whatever albums you've heard praise for or for whatever reason you feel compelled to listen to. I'm just warning you from personal experience that your road is along one with many distractions. For example, whenever i find a band i really like i research them and then listen to all of their "influences" and then their offshoots from there. It's a big family tree. It won't be easy...I wish you the best of luck. Start at the beginning. Start with this. This is objectively the best rock album of all time.
>>
before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_ggFovJNo

after
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK-ozcitHPY
>>
>>63946090
>before
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_ggFovJNo [Embed]
>after
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK-ozcitHPY [Embed]

ayyyy wrong fuckin thread
>>
>>63946044
I've listened to this album about 3 times before, I understand the charm of it, but I probably need to listen to it 3 more times until it really clicks. I've heard many people praise this album but may I ask on what grounds is it "objectively" the best?
>>
>>63945527
Dude I have a list like that as well, roughly the same size too, so I know how you feel.

I'm enlisting in the U.S. Navy in August so It really sucks that I'm not going to be able to listen to most of those albums for a while after I do that.

Also, how do you organize your massive backlog? I have mine written on line paper front and back and put in a folder. It's something like 30 sheets or so.
>>
>>63946153
mine is very unorganized, basically it's all just in a folder on my computer.
>>
>>63946126
I couldn't fit it all into one post. It fuses delta blues and free jazz with lyrics that are poetry in themselves. Most of the lyrics are improvised. The entire song "China Pig" is improvised. I'm no expert, I just started listening to it about a month agi and have probably listened to it 20 times but recognize the genius. Read the lyrics. The whole album was scored like a classical composition. There are books written about it.
>>
>>63945527
Listen to some of it while you're sleeping
>>
>>63946229
the whole thing was scored?
>>
>>63945527
I have 3,791 albums in my library and have listened to 1,324 of them, been downloading and listening to music early last year

You can do it OP I believe in you. I listen to 1-2 new albums a day and it has gotten me this far

>>63945888
I listened to 1/3 of mine and haven't gotten sidetracked

Also listening to a lot of different music is fun, don't discourage him

Different people consume music in different ways and if you want to listen to 500 albums in 6 years that's up to you

But I would second the idea of finding the bands who influenced your favorite bands and who they influenced
>>
It will take you years to get through a backlog like that
>>
>>63945527
Stop collecting more, sit down and enjoy it all 10 albums at a time.
>>
Just burn all your albums and listen to Grimes
>>
>>63947044
at 3 or 4 albums a day?
less than a year.
>>
>>63945553
This. Also if you find yourself wondering why you downloaded it delete. Dont waste time on pretentious garbage to impress /mu/
>>
Don't let your backlog get above five albums dude
>>
Listen to music instead of worrying about listening to music. Clearly you aren't THAT interested in these 800 albums if you already didn't listen to them. I'd hate to have this looming over my head.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.