[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Man why does this sound so cheap and awful?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
I'm a huge AnCo fan, loved all their other albums but Painting With is almost unlistenable to me.

It sounds like three very sad people trying to make the most jovial album ever, and it sounds so forced and non-fun. I was a bit scared that this would happen when I saw studio photos of them looking miserable or with fake smiles on them, and that’s exactly what the album sounds like.
So they cut down on experimentation and sound variety for what? It seems like they didn’t replace it with anything and we’re left with an album which is lyrically decent but nothing special, and musically boring and bland in every single way. The synths sound cheap as hell, the sound effects are there for no reason but to fill in the gaps of uncreative ideas presented in the rest of the sounds, the drums are literally some of the worst I’ve heard on any album in a long time. Which sucks cause I’ve always been a huge fan of AnCo drums, from STGSTV up to CHz in my opinion it was always top notch. But shit like Lying In The Grass or Hocus Pocus? Drums sound demo-ish as fuck. Can’t believe they decided to put those poverty kicks and claps on all the songs.
The melodies are alright I guess although they made way more catchier and better written stuff in the past, but there’s not punch to them since they’re backed up with so much mediocrity. This is why I like Sleep Cycle more than Painting With, Deak made an emotional piece by stripping the sound down, while Avey and Panda decided to make a bunch of repetitive fast-paced tracks with doubled or tripled vocals which make the tracks sound very uncomfortable, jumbled and unfocused, and take away from any emotional or relatable factor one could feel towards the album. It’s just a clusterfuck of basicness.

I feel very strongly towards it since not only is it the first AnCo album I straight up dislike, but I just see it as an awful step back in every single aspect. What did you think of it, /mu/?
>>
>>63933841
>Man why does this sound so cheap and awful?
it is literally the best produced AnCo album. Every other one of their albums sounds like earfucking trebelly shit. My first thought when I heard it was literally wow the finally made an album that doesn't sound like shit.
>>
>>63933960

Interesting point of view. Why do you think it sounds the best out of all AnCo albums? It sounds cheap compared to others imo. Are you looking from the mixing/mastering standpoint?
>>
>>63934033
I dont thonk the synths sound cheap by any means what so ever. From a sound design perspective theure.pretty complex. They weee usong a 4500 dollar synrh machine on this albim called the Buchla easel which is partiallynwhere thenname.comes from. And.those noises arent just filler, they complete melodical ideas any time theyre presented. Theyre supposed to sound disconnected and disjointed. The entire theme of this album was cubism and dadaism. Thats what people are not getting.
>>
They tried something new. I love it, much better than Centipede Hz in my opinion. Its "soulless" quality is often brought up but I really don't hear it, I think the album is fun as hell.
>>
>>63934425
And this is why we dont post to 4chan on out mobile devices.
>>
>>63934444
Yeah I dont get where people say this feels soulless. I guess because it isnt sappy and introverted its soulless.
>>
>>63933841

some troll on here said "Floridada" is "the Wiggles for adults" and now I can't unhear it

worlds away from masterpieces like "Peacebone" and "Fireworks". makes me sad
>>
>>63934627
Animal Collective's music has always been whimsical and child-like. This criticism is stupid.
>>
>>63933841
The thing is that it's just pop, AC's interpretation of pop, and it's pretty great, they never force their excitement for a melody of lyrical passage, especially on The Burglars.
>>
>>63934873
The Burglars is seriously top 5 AnCo tracks of all time. Up there with Bro Sport, Banshee Beat, My Girls, De Soto De Sun.
>>
>>63934444
this
>>
>>63934931
this is one of the most pleb thing's ive heard on this site
>>
>>63933841

They said that they were going to essentially remove all reverb as they think it's overused and I agree, it's become amateurish to make everything bleed into everything else. So this album is offering everything it can under that philosophy and for that it has to get some recognition right?
>>
DUDE VOCAL HOCKETING LMAO
>>
>>63935230
Name examples of hocketing used in mainstream albums?
>>
>>63935035
lol whatever you say bud. I was speaking objectively, not my own personal preference. Those are the songs I see talked about most. It's really hard to even come up with a Top 5 for real because I could throw Alvin Row, April and The Phantom, Lablakely Dress, Loch Raven and plenty of others up there so really it's nearly impossible.

I chose those because they're the most popularly discussed I've seen anywhere.
>>
File: pw.jpg (80 KB, 948x448) Image search: [Google]
pw.jpg
80 KB, 948x448
>>63933841
They are finished
>>
>>63935423
every recent song panda bears been a part of
>>
>>63935208
What makes me a little upset is that I've been dying to hear reverbless and "clean" PBear vocals (a la Young Prayer) for so long, yet the hocketing technique he uses on his tracks almost renders that omission moot as it creates a similar sort of echo-y effect.

It was nice to hear Avey's voice left almost completely untreated though.
>>
>>63935543
No, they aren't. People reacted like this when CHz came out too. Now people like it. Fancy that.
>>
>>63934425
>The entire theme of this album was cubism and dadaism. Thats what people are not getting.
this dude gets it
>>
>>63936270
I need to make a fucking copy pasta for this because I've had to explain it in every single Painting With thread and people are always like "Ohhh that makes more sense now" or "Man I'm gonna go listen to it with this in mind".

Believe me. A year from now people are going to be praising the fuck out of this album and shitting their pants for being so negligent towards what it was trying to do.
>>
>>63936308

You were posting this copypasta before and never realized it says "I dont thonk"
>>
>>63937497
God forbid I make a typo and don't have a peer review journal on the copy pastas I make for 4chan. Oh lord I'm such a failure, how ever will I be taken seriously now.
>>
>>63933841
>I was a bit scared that this would happen when I saw studio photos of them looking miserable or with fake smiles on them, and that’s exactly what the album sounds like.

Fucking extremely accurate
>>
because it was an attempt at a commercial breakthrough that failed
>>
>>63937655
why would they have done the hocketing if that's what they were going for
are you retarded
>>
>>63937692

the marketing and the image is more important than the music itself
>>
>>63937788
yeah, which is why they put out a seizuriffic music video where 3d models of people basically fucked and had a baby
lots of mainstream appeal in that marketing
>>
>>63937826

fair enough i'm likely wrong but i do like making strong statements even though they can be risky to make
>>
>>63936308
Why does it matter that it's dadaism or cubism or what ever else if the music blows. The vocals are annoying and everything else is uninteresting.

You can argue that's technically good or unique but that doesn't make it good.
>>
>>63937655
It was not a fickong attempt at a commercial breakthrough. What the fuck makes people think this? Of theu were attempting a commercial breakthroughtheu would have advertised this shit hard fucking core. Centipede Hz had more hype and marketing surrounding it. Just because its poppy doesn't mean theu were attempting a commercial break through.i thinl thr guus just wanted to make really dense short pop.songs thst completely differe from past pop stylings they tried.

Get out of here with that bs. Animal Collective has kever cared about commercial success.
>>
>>63935594
I like the album a lot but I agree
>>
>>63938014
Because the music visuslizes those concepts perfectly. It doesnt sound objectively bad by any means. Its disjointed and pieced together on purpose. If you csnt take those concepts and apply them to the music and see what they were doing then I cant help you. You simply dont fucking get it.
>>
>>63938088
I see exactly what they were trying to do, and they succeeded in every way except for making interesting music.

>You just don't get it, it's meant to sound like shit
>>
File: AnimalDroppings.png (70 KB, 271x224) Image search: [Google]
AnimalDroppings.png
70 KB, 271x224
>>63933841
The Quietus called it.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.