[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I love Johnny Cash, so I decided to look into his complete discography
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: MI0002076769.jpg (30 KB, 400x395) Image search: [Google]
MI0002076769.jpg
30 KB, 400x395
I love Johnny Cash, so I decided to look into his complete discography since I only really knew the 20 or so popular songs.
>96 fucking albums
How the fuck am I supposed to get into something like that? Holy fucking Christ, what do I do?

Don't know why I'm asking you underage mobileposters, but, fuck it.
>>
>>63921057
>claims to love an artist
>hasn't explored their discography beyond the most popular surface level casual listening
>>
>>63921135
>proceeds calls us underage mobileposters
fuck off OP
>>
>>63921135
>>63921150

>I was born with all the knowledge of music ingrained into my fucking twisted skull mucus
What are you fucking talking about.
>>
>>63921163
Just saying you may want to save 'love' for an artist you have actually experienced beyond their tracks that made the top 40, or at least when talking to /mu/
>>
>>63921233
Damn. SPECIFICALLY, I like a couple dozen Johnny Cash songs so I thought I should check him out more in depth, but he has 90+ albums made over 50 years. That's fucking insane.
>>
The album you posted is his best, if you ask me.
>>
memefolk
>>
>>63921057
Listen to Live at San Quentin and At Folsom Prison if you haven't already, and listen to the American series. The live albums cover his absolute best early material and the American Series is pretty consistent
>>
>>63921272
Don't bother with the 80s (and the latter half of the 70s really) until you've gone through everything else. He was creatively spent and was releasing shlocky country/gospel cack.

His best output was at the very beginning and very end of his career so get the american recordings and posthumous releases as well as all of the sun records stuff (the early stuff is the best)
>>
Just listen to him. Back in the day when most of Cash's albums came out albums had a very different function than they do today. The artists would just come into the studio, record songs and then they sold an album, and this would ideally be done as much as possible. It was about getting songs and singles out on the market, not about putting together a cohesive collection. A couple of years ago I listened a shitload to country music and especially Johnny Cash, and there's still a lot of his albums I haven't heard. Apart from the classics and the latest releases, you just have to take a chance and see if the album is good.
>>
This is good shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3sNHiu_FsU
>>
>>63921279
no one asked you
>>
>>63921292
>>63921308
>>63921329
Excellent posts. I will do as you say.

I guess I just wanted a good place to start, so I'll definitely avoid the gospelly stuff.

That being said, anything with a good melody really. The bulk of his songs follow a really similar chord progression and that t-t-ts t-t-ts horse gallop percussion, but the ones that stand out from the rest are some of the best shit I've ever heard.

Far's I'm concerned, this is the original version of this song, or at worst, a collaboration between Cash and Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mynzbmrtp9I
>>
>>63921279
>tripfags

>>63921285 (You)
>>
>>63921057
>love Johnny Cash
>Hey guys, have you heard of Ring Of Fire? Probably not, you're all underage LOL
> But help me cause I've only heard Ring of Fire
>>
>>63921308
I agree. Cash's heyday was in the late 50s through the 60s and then by the 70s when Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings ruled, he was pretty much irrelevant.

The comeback he had in his last decade was sort of the Aerosmith phenomenon - he'd been out of the picture for years and people weren't burned out on him. Especially because by the 90s, the younger generation of country fans didn't know the guy much, if at all, so he was new to them.
>>
>>63923275
A 30 year old in the early 90s was in diapers when Ring of Fire came out so I can see what you mean.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.